2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The "Jail Bird" Phenomenon - my journey

Z1ggy16

I'm starting this thread to provide you (and myself) a data driven look into whether this "jail bird" putter hype is real. I will be using Arccos to track my rounds and sg18 putting to see if there are any improvements.

Why "Jail Bird"? Well, for one I am lefty so the supply is low and as you know, prices are insane for these right now. So, I have mimicked almost the exact specs Rickie is using right now but with a PXG One and Done putter. It is exactly the same length, weight, and grip that Rickie has but a slightly different head. To be honest, this is as close as you can get with out actually having a Jail Bird in my opinion. 

I will be posting stats below in the next reply box, and I think once I make a final conclusion, I'll edit this OP.

Feel free to ask questions or drop your opinions below. I hope this helps some folks decide if this is or if not right for them.

IMG_20230714_145525.jpg.38cc52a62e90960ced5df35eb43c7ed9.jpg

IMG_20230714_145450.jpg.2cf8601dac0748c0bc4fd8e2106bf5ed.jpg

• Like 3

Round 1 just fast 9 holes. Anecdotal stuff - actually feels heavier than my putter which Isnt a huge surprise but it did not really feel massively counter balanced. I really can feel the head weight. With the thicker grip I actually am the opposite of most, I really need to feel like I release the head or else I'll push putts.

Overall, I liked what I saw today. Greens were very slow and then ball got to the hole ever single time except once and that was 100% on me.

Screenshot_20230714-154723.jpg.89a4d5b0a69f9f694e6b701f3be46012.jpg

Overall, my putting had been getting worse early this year but bounced back a bit. In my opinion, I am a decent putter and I don't 3 putt a ton. My main issue is not making those 6-8footers that are usually left for a par save after chipping on from rough or a bunker. Making even just 2 more of those per round could bring me close to the 2-4hc range. The rest will come down to iron play.

Screenshot_20230714-155756.jpg.7646ba6c6108919ea2544fb605675232.jpg

My last 5 rounds my sg18 putting were all between -2 and 0, so I definitely was leaving shots on the table. Arccos really doesn't like if you miss 5 or 6 foot putts, and three putts kill you unless it's from 60ft+. 

Edited by Z1ggy16
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, lefty74pgh said:

What are the exact specs? Interested in ordering one.

380g head

38.5"

Stock shaft

Superstroke Tour 3.0 17" (I think this is the same as the Zenergy, it's just got PXG branding on it)

I want to say that Rickie's actual putter is 390g with the tank shaft, so mine is slightly lighter which is probably a good thing as I'm not playing on PGA tour speed greens. 

1 hour ago, Z1ggy16 said:

380g head

38.5"

Stock shaft

Superstroke Tour 3.0 17" (I think this is the same as the Zenergy, it's just got PXG branding on it)

I want to say that Rickie's actual putter is 390g with the tank shaft, so mine is slightly lighter which is probably a good thing as I'm not playing on PGA tour speed greens. 

Thanks for the information. I actually had the One and Done a few years ago. I liked the putter, but the double bend shaft wasn’t the best fit. I moved on to a Phantom X 5.5 and I have not been putting well. Looking for something new.

I have a slight arc stroke and did a fitting years ago. Suggestions were half to full offset and 25-35* toe hang.

33 minutes ago, lefty74pgh said:

Thanks for the information. I actually had the One and Done a few years ago. I liked the putter, but the double bend shaft wasn’t the best fit. I moved on to a Phantom X 5.5 and I have not been putting well. Looking for something new.

I have a slight arc stroke and did a fitting years ago. Suggestions were half to full offset and 25-35* toe hang.

Mine is not a db, it's a plumbers neck and has about 25* of hang.

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

380g head

38.5"

Stock shaft

PXG stock putter shaft is 130G FYI.. 

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

I have been discussing this build with Zig myself. I have gone to a T11 Phantom, 390 head weight. Stability shaft at 37.75" (102g). Flatso 17" 94 grams. What I have found is my lag putting needs more work on my end. I am hitting every putt to far right now but very fixable. The grip is too big for me and I just dont like it. I am leaning towards a  Garsen Quad 17" or Winn 17". Mine is not CB and I am glad I did not do it. This set up need s a couple tweaks but has made 5footers fell auto to me so I am going to keep working on it, very promising...

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

31 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Does rickie have a countetweight in the grip? I think the zenergy grips dont accept counterweights…? Not quite jailbird-but i gamed a 38” counterbalanced mallet for over a year and really enjoyed it. Would like to see more oems at least have one counterbalanced option.

No he does not. The grip weight plus the choke up effectively provides the cb effect.

Although I bet his SW is pretty high... If you like a lower SW then you could still use one.

Edited by Z1ggy16
  • Thanks 1

Started fiddling with a Tank this past weekend. Added weight to a 3”extension. It’s interesting so far but not replacing a blade any time soon. 

Gotta be careful with the hype, IMO. “I got a Rickie Stickie and putt a lot better now.” Is it the putter or the extra hours of practice and focus on putting? 

The world may never know…..

• Like 1

Of course the hype is not real.  ...and of course, it is, at the same time.  It is the focus and determination that will make the difference, so if you have a Jail Bird in your hand when you get better, then cool.

If one of these guys used a Futura and won, people would flock and some of them would love it and swear that it change their game... and it probably did, but the putter was the same as it always had been.  Noting is lost from buying into the hype as long as 100% effort is given.  Even if you hate the putter, you will likely have learned something that can translate back to your other weapon of choice.

If you really want to know if the club helped, or your newfound drive/desire, switch back to your old putter for a while and see if the apps says that you have gotten worse again.

I also put together a Jailbird (had one sitting in the basement I couldn't get rid of years ago 😂)  I actually think there is something to the balance of the putter.  It feels great!  I don't love the O-works insert or the face balanced head, but it's nearly automatic inside 8 feet.  There is certainly something to it.

I've actually built out an answer style putter with extended shaft and 17" synergy grip too.  I think that may be the ticket for me.  The balances is super good, really takes the wrist out of it and the grip helps with soft hands.  I'm trying to test a little bit to see what it is about the Rickie Jailbird, but it's not just a fad imo.  It's a really really stable putter.

I experimented with a Spencer Levin type split handed putting with a V Line Tank for about a year.  Certain things were good or better but other things weren't great.   A buddy I play with asked if I would sell it to him and convert it to a wrist lock for him a la Webb Simpson.   I had experimented with the CB, just gripping down with a normal grip and results were good, but nothing that really stood out.

I converted it for him and he gave me a red Versa with microhinge and some cash as payment.  He had extended the jailbird, not realizing he needed to adjust to make it an arm lock.  I pulled it apart and pulled the red off of it and ordered a new shaft to play at 39 and either split or gripping down. I hate the red painted Odyssey finish, I used it a bunch for awhile in the basement and short putting was great with gripping down, so I took it to the course to practice lengthy putts and I worked with it on long putting.

After using it a couple of rounds my putting went from negative (-0.6) over 50 rounds to (+1.1) over 6 rounds.  Continued with it on the member member tourney and was blinded a couple of times from the bare metal that I couldn't get dulled the way I wanted.  This is all based on Arccos.

Ordered some high heat paint and painted it versa style.

I have played 15 rounds with the jailbird in total (HW is 385, length is 39 with the SS 17" grip) and my putting sits at +1.2.   

Does this mean it is for everyone?  Absolutely not, some people are finicky and can't look down at a mallet or don't like heavy weights.  However 80%+ that I have seen that struggled with putting were helped by going counter balance in some way shape or form as long as they can line up their putter properly as far as helping their stroke.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 7/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

I experimented with a Spencer Levin type split handed putting with a V Line Tank for about a year.  Certain things were good or better but other things weren't great.   A buddy I play with asked if I would sell it to him and convert it to a wrist lock for him a la Webb Simpson.   I had experimented with the CB, just gripping down with a normal grip and results were good, but nothing that really stood out.

I converted it for him and he gave me a red Versa with microhinge and some cash as payment.  He had extended the jailbird, not realizing he needed to adjust to make it an arm lock.  I pulled it apart and pulled the red off of it and ordered a new shaft to play at 39 and either split or gripping down. I hate the red painted Odyssey finish, I used it a bunch for awhile in the basement and short putting was great with gripping down, so I took it to the course to practice lengthy putts and I worked with it on long putting.

After using it a couple of rounds my putting went from negative (-0.6) over 50 rounds to (+1.1) over 6 rounds.  Continued with it on the member member tourney and was blinded a couple of times from the bare metal that I couldn't get dulled the way I wanted.  This is all based on Arccos.

Ordered some high heat paint and painted it versa style.

I have played 15 rounds with the jailbird in total (HW is 385, length is 39 with the SS 17" grip) and my putting sits at +1.2.   

Does this mean it is for everyone?  Absolutely not, some people are finicky and can't look down at a mallet or don't like heavy weights.  However 80%+ that I have seen that struggled with putting were helped by going counter balance in some way shape or form as long as they can line up their putter properly as far as helping their stroke.

Cool to hear. Crucial that you used arccos... People often judge putting by # of putts which is a horrible way to gauge ability. 

21 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Ziggy, how's your experiment fairing?

Is pace slower after counterbalancing?

I just played today but I'm not sure if it's a fair assessment. It rained over an inch last night and the greens were crazy fuzzy/slow. 

I lost 2.2 strokes to putting and 3 putted twice. Both times were really long down hill putts and the ball didn't even get close.... Really had to hit putts extra firm today and I just couldn't mentally adjust because when it's dry, some of those putts are really fast. 

Anecdotally though, I feel like this putter always starts the ball where I want. I felt like the 10-12 footers I missed were purely bad reads and not bad putts... I was putting too much break into everything. It's rained a ton this year and the greens just aren't breaking as much as normal. 

25 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I just played today but I'm not sure if it's a fair assessment. It rained over an inch last night and the greens were crazy fuzzy/slow. 

I lost 2.2 strokes to putting and 3 putted twice. Both times were really long down hill putts and the ball didn't even get close.... Really had to hit putts extra firm today and I just couldn't mentally adjust because when it's dry, some of those putts are really fast. 

Anecdotally though, I feel like this putter always starts the ball where I want. I felt like the 10-12 footers I missed were purely bad reads and not bad putts... I was putting too much break into everything. It's rained a ton this year and the greens just aren't breaking as much as normal. 

I just dropped off my Hercules to get extended. May as well give it a try  since it's just sitting around.

13 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I just dropped off my Hercules to get extended. May as well give it a try  since it's just sitting around.

It's a huge change compared to my old putter so I def need an adjustment period. My miss is usually a little toey and I definitely feel like the ball loses less speed/energy. Might see some variation at first, and since I don't really practice and I only play once a week now, it may take a while. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Got my Hercules today. It's built up to 38" and I put weights in the head to get it to 380g.

Plan to get reps on my mat in a bit, but the little bit I've toyed on my carpet, the wobble of the head is gone. It wants to track back and through very stable. Interesting for sure. More to come.

One thing I did notice that maybe (?) Plays a role for me is the shaft. I do like a bit more feel but the stock shaft is rather flimsy compared to my Accra graphite that I've been using all year. The bend point seems different too.

I don't want to change any variables yet but I've got two more things left to test this year, which I think will take the entire season:

- keep the grip the same but put in slightly stiffer graphite

- using the graphite, change to a Winn 17" pistol grip

1 minute ago, Z1ggy16 said:

One thing I did notice that maybe (?) Plays a role for me is the shaft. I do like a bit more feel but the stock shaft is rather flimsy compared to my Accra graphite that I've been using all year. The bend point seems different too.

I don't want to change any variables yet but I've got two more things left to test this year, which I think will take the entire season:

- keep the grip the same but put in slightly stiffer graphite

- using the graphite, change to a Winn 17" pistol grip

I was impressed with my setup on my mat last night. It definitely raised the moi of the putter. 

I'll get it on a green later this week and see how short and long putts go. The key to this potentially going further is 25+ footers. If speed control is terrible then it'll be a no-go. 

But, initially on a mat, it performed well. 

So, got some real green reps in tonight. They were slow, so this was a good test.

And I'm even more impressed. Everything inside 10 feet was going in. But....BUT, long putts had pace...no hopping.

What I really like is that for long putts i can grip up about an inch, add effective length and get more pop out of the head.

I prefer a quicker tempo stroke..kind of like rahm. With a conventional grip I'll get the handle too far forward and deloft too much. Counterbalanced keeps them handle from getting too far forward and there was no delofting.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, getitdaily said:

Another round in the books... -1.1sg, which is still about 1 stroke lost to where I should be. I had one 3 putt which I really misjudged the pace, I came up really short on like a 35-40,ft putt.

I had arccos look at my last 3 rounds and compare it to the 3 before (this was my 3rd round w the new putter)

And relatively speaking, things have gotten better.

The one thing I've noticed is that my long putt speed is still pretty bad, which is the same thing that happened a few years ago when I used a DF2.1. really really good short putting, horrible all else. 

What sucks is that I can't make anything outside of 6ft or so, which is why I'm still not positive in strokes putting. Soon as I make one or two from 8-10ft, l will gain strokes back. 

I think I might give the Winn grip a try for 3 rounds next. If I want to experiment a bit more, I'll toss in an Accra fx p300 shaft. 

Screenshot_20230728-203544.jpg.50193899c1c4dd8edb5cffa7462dd196.jpgScreenshot_20230728-203053.jpg.abbefb62e134bdb0e2e58de58c6caf18.jpg

2 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Another round in the books... -1.1sg, which is still about 1 stroke lost to where I should be. I had one 3 putt which I really misjudged the pace, I came up really short on like a 35-40,ft putt.

I had arccos look at my last 3 rounds and compare it to the 3 before (this was my 3rd round w the new putter)

And relatively speaking, things have gotten better.

The one thing I've noticed is that my long putt speed is still pretty bad, which is the same thing that happened a few years ago when I used a DF2.1. really really good short putting, horrible all else. 

What sucks is that I can't make anything outside of 6ft or so, which is why I'm still not positive in strokes putting. Soon as I make one or two from 8-10ft, l will gain strokes back. 

I think I might give the Winn grip a try for 3 rounds next. If I want to experiment a bit more, I'll toss in an Accra fx p300 shaft. 

Screenshot_20230728-203544.jpg.50193899c1c4dd8edb5cffa7462dd196.jpgScreenshot_20230728-203053.jpg.abbefb62e134bdb0e2e58de58c6caf18.jpg

I took my Hercules rickie out yesterday and I didn't like it on course as much as I liked it on the practice green. Going to put the long shaft in my 1&d and try it. I was missing everything right with the Hercules. I tend to hit pulls with the 1&d. So we'll see.

29 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I took my Hercules rickie out yesterday and I didn't like it on course as much as I liked it on the practice green. Going to put the long shaft in my 1&d and try it. I was missing everything right with the Hercules. I tend to hit pulls with the 1&d. So we'll see.

That's why I'm going to the Winn pistol. The larger grip makes me push it... I've tried several larger grips over the years and one thing I am certain on, is that I like pistol grips the best. I also think the heavier head slows down face rotation a bit, more prone to leaving it open. I probably am getting away with it on the 6footer and in but long than that I might be missing my lines.