Anyone using? Thoughts? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I have (sadly had now as of two days ago, has been stolen). It’s very good. There are a few things I don't like about it — it’s bulky, the dial on the side is annoying for something you seldom (if ever) need to do (adjust brightness), it can’t be used with a magnetic strap for a cart (but the new Q4 can), and when using slope, it only gives the adjusted number (prefer seeing both so I can better make mental adjustments come non slope only tournament time). It also seldom does the pin surge vibrate thing (but it’s usually pretty good about getting pins).

It seems to be accurate and is pretty quick though, plus has 7x mag, which is what I bought it for.

Overall, I probably will not buy another since I do have some gripes, they’re so expensive, and people suck. I’d consider the new Q4 though.

I hope the jerk who took mine enjoys his new $450 toy.

• Sad 1

I have a used one arriving today, playing tonight and tomorrow. Will give my thought on it compared to my old but dependable Precision Pro NX7. 

Just have to get a battery. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• Thanks 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Alright 27 holes in with the Q6 slope, I haven't looked into all the features that this does yet I literally picked it up my my mail box, threw in a battery and went to the course.

Ergonomics: First thing first the size and heft this has is much bigger than my Precision Pro NX7, for me I like this since I have big hands. I also push cart or ride so the heft is not an issue for me. I'm sure some guys who carry it could be if they're trying to be super light. I should have compared to my buddies Bushnell which I believe is bigger than the NX7 anyways.

The knob/dial isn't an issue for me cause I'm right handed, if you are left handed it could be especially if you have smaller hand.

Optics: They're good, a definite step up, the internals are Laser Tech which is a high end survey company. Side note I have used a Laser Tech survey laser in the past with probably over 250k actuations on it so I'm use to their gear. The red isn't an issue I found, it's nice you can easily change the brightness, I play in either sunglasses or regular glasses so a knob twist I can change it instantly. 

Accuracy: I didn't take a comparison to my NX7 or my friends Bushnell but honestly these days more are accurate than not. It does give distance to a decimal point and if I stood still and hit a pin it would pop up the same distance. I know it also has a pin lock vibration but it didn't happen every time I'm curious if just the pins at the course I was at, they didn't have prisms but will need more testing. 

Speed: it was almost instant to get a reading.

First impression I'm enjoying it, the optics alone I'm much happier with they are way clearer which is a huge bonus.

• Thanks 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Thanks.  Debating on pulling trigger on one of these 

13 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Thanks.  Debating on pulling trigger on one of these 

Wait for Black Friday or keep an eye on sales. I snagged one used on the BST here by complete chance, figured why not, if something doesn't work there is warranty.

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I've used one this entire season and am pleased with the purchase. The ability to quickly switch between slope and non-slope (or, actual yardage), is extremely easy with a small lever next to the knob which has been noted in previous posts. I like the ability to adjust the brightness with said knob and the optics are outstanding. It's designed to be waterproof but I haven't tested and I've also used a very thin magnetic strap purchased off Amazon that enables it to stick to the golf cart.

I got tired of Bushnells failing prematurely (three of them without any support from Bushnell once out of warranty) and am hoping for the price paid the Cobalt will last for many years.

8 minutes ago, Howie said:

I've used one this entire season and am pleased with the purchase. The ability to quickly switch between slope and non-slope (or, actual yardage), is extremely easy with a small lever next to the knob which has been noted in previous posts. I like the ability to adjust the brightness with said knob and the optics are outstanding. It's designed to be waterproof but I haven't tested and I've also used a very thin magnetic strap purchased off Amazon that enables it to stick to the golf cart.

I got tired of Bushnells failing prematurely (three of them without any support from Bushnell once out of warranty) and am hoping for the price paid the Cobalt will last for many years.

Which strap did you go with? I saw the big white sticker magnet that I thought about if I bought a q6.   

On 7/30/2023 at 6:21 PM, Howie said:

Search Amazon for "ZOEA Magnetic Rangefinder Mount Strap for Golf Cart Railing". I think this was the one. If not, it was something similar.

Does it still fit in the case with the strap added? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I participated in member testing on another forum so I got one sent to me for free. I compared it against my amazon special ($100) and a similarly priced bushnell. I would say it is more accurate than the cheapo and in the same league as the bushnell. BUT, the cobalt/bushnell were not significantly (more than 2 yds) more accurate than the cheapo. I liked the Cobalt's zoom feature better but I would say the pin seeking feature is just so/so. Ultimately, if I lost my Cobalt I would not replace it because I don't think it is "worth it" at that cost. But in fairness, I would say the same thing about Bushnell as well. I just don't see the incremental benefit of 1-2 yds for my game. If I shoot the flag at 175 and it is *really* 177, it's the same club and same swing for me. So to spend an extra $200-$300 for that is....not really worth it. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I pulled the trigger on one last night.  I'll let you know how it works against my older Bushnell Z5 I bought used 6 years ago for $150.

What I really want though is the 7x magnification, and from what I can see, only the Bushnell XE or X3 have it other than the Cobalt.  I tried the Blue Tees 3 Max which claims 7x magnification and it didn't look any different than my old Bushnell which is supposed to be 6x.  When I tried a friends XE, it was clear there was more magnification.  The Blue Tees build quality was obviously cheaper, and I dropped it once on the cart path from about waist height after fumbling it taking it out of the cart cup holder and the laser was no longer shooting where the sight was.  I dropped my Bushnell at least a dozen of times without issue.  Blue Tees did refund my purchase though as it was within the first 30 days.

I think most rangefinders are perfectly fine for shooting the pin.  I am looking to spend more to be more confident and quicker in shooting non pin targets that won't return a vibration.  A lot of times I can shoot the pin at 165, but really I'm concerned with shooting the lips of bunkers, front edge of the green, back edge, etc.  Or I might be 270 from the pin, but because I know I need to lay up, I want to know distances to the front edge of a bunker, or where the fairway ends to plan out my layup shot.  With my current rangefinder at 6x magnification, if I stand there long enough and shoot targets many times, I can deduce which reading actually hit the target I'm intending to hit, but I hate slow play and it takes too much time.  

If I can get all the numbers I want confidently and quickly, I can stand over the ball committed to my shot.  I often times shoot distances and am not 100% confident I got the right distance, then a sliver of doubt creeps in.  I'm not the guy who's going to go back to the cart and pull the rangefinder again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LBB said:

I pulled the trigger on one last night.  I'll let you know how it works against my older Bushnell Z5 I bought used 6 years ago for $150.

What I really want though is the 7x magnification, and from what I can see, only the Bushnell XE or X3 have it other than the Cobalt.  I tried the Blue Tees 3 Max which claims 7x magnification and it didn't look any different than my old Bushnell which is supposed to be 6x.  When I tried a friends XE, it was clear there was more magnification.  The Blue Tees build quality was obviously cheaper, and I dropped it once on the cart path from about waist height after fumbling it taking it out of the cart cup holder and the laser was no longer shooting where the sight was.  I dropped my Bushnell at least a dozen of times without issue.  Blue Tees did refund my purchase though as it was within the first 30 days.

I think most rangefinders are perfectly fine for shooting the pin.  I am looking to spend more to be more confident and quicker in shooting non pin targets that won't return a vibration.  A lot of times I can shoot the pin at 165, but really I'm concerned with shooting the lips of bunkers, front edge of the green, back edge, etc.  Or I might be 270 from the pin, but because I know I need to lay up, I want to know distances to the front edge of a bunker, or where the fairway ends to plan out my layup shot.  With my current rangefinder at 6x magnification, if I stand there long enough and shoot targets many times, I can deduce which reading actually hit the target I'm intending to hit, but I hate slow play and it takes too much time.  

If I can get all the numbers I want confidently and quickly, I can stand over the ball committed to my shot.  I often times shoot distances and am not 100% confident I got the right distance, then a sliver of doubt creeps in.  I'm not the guy who's going to go back to the cart and pull the rangefinder again.

This exactly.  Well said.   Please let me know your thoughts.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, Minarets said:

This exactly.  Well said.   Please let me know your thoughts.  

Haven't had a chance to take it on the course, but my initial thoughts.

Build quality is very nice.  At the very least on par with the top of the line Bushnells that I've held in my hand, but I would say the Cobalt is a hair better with the outer materials in how it feels in your hand.  Won't make a difference in laser functionality, but when you're paying $450+, the little things matter.

The target button, slope switch, and brightness dial all work very well.  They are crisp, have good tactile feel, and it's highly unlikely you will accidentally flip the slope switch or turn the brightness dial by accident.  Nor will you press the trigger button without getting that tactile feel you know the button pressed.

The brightness dial works.  I would estimate that are about 8-10 variable "clicks" on the dail that go from lowest brightness to highest and you can see the difference between each click.  I imagine for most golfers, you could leave it somewhere in the middle for 95% of your use, but it might come into play if you play at dawn or dusk, or in super sunny conditions or very cloudy.

The optics are amazing.  You're not taking pictures with this thing that you will post to social media, so does it really make that much of a difference if the lens is 15% clearer than other range finders?  So long as you can see the targets you want to shoot...probably not.  But it's still nice.  Again...something you expect from a product you're paying top dollar for.

I only tested at objects outside the house, but the readings were extremely consistent as per reviews.  When I shot a light pole at 67.4 yards, it gave that exact same reading every...single...time.  With my Bushnell, it would vary between 67.2 to 68.0.  Same when I shot the sides of apartment buildings 230+ yards away.  Same reading every time.  Does that matter, compared to my Bushnelll that might vary between 229 to 231...probably not.  But again it's nice to just shoot something once and know that's the yardage and spend time shooting other objects. 

Q6 rating is up to 2500 yards overall, and I was able to shoot a building 1531 yards away.  And it was consistent between 1530 and 1531.  I was impressed.  My Bushnell Z6 is rated to 1300 yards for overall objects and it could not laser that same building 1531 yards away...which it wasn't supposed to.  A building that was 550 yards away, the Cobalt got consistent readings to a yard, and the Bushnell was only about an additional yard plus or minus.

I did not get any vibrations when testing outside the house, but the Cobalt (and my Bushnell) is only supposed to vibrate when hitting a pin, so that's by design.  The Blue Tees 3 Max I had would vibrate on everything I shot...the pin, the grass, a tree, the side of a building...didn't matter.  More to come on the Cobalt vibration when I get to the course and how it compares to my current Bushnell which vibrates most of the time when shooting a pin.  That could have something to do with the pin itself at certain courses though.

No magent built in...I knew this going in and I don't want it anyway as I've had a magent rangefinder before with the Blue Tees 3 Max and the first time I used it, I forgot it on the cart.  Luckily the cart guy flagged me down before I walked away.  I only use the cart cupholder for my range finder as I'll always check that before I unload the cart.

The one thing from reviews was that this rangefinder, when slope is on, only shows the adjusted yardage and not both the actual and adjusted in the view finder at the same time.  That said, having not used a slope range finder long term (I returned the Blue Tees within 2 weeks), I don't mind this.  If I'm going to use slope, I think I just want to see one number.  And if I ever wanted to see both, it's not hard to use your finger to flip the switch while the range finder is still up at your eye.  It's not like the new Bushnell Pro X3 where you need to use two hands to pull down the locking switch then the slope switch at the front of the device to change from slope to non slope.  I don't play in tournaments that don't allow slope, so the locking feature is overkill to me.  Within the viewfinder, there is the word "SLOPE" that is displayed in addition to the slope reading (example +1.8*) so you know if you're in slope mode or not without having to look at the switch.

Overall first impression is that you're getting what you pay for.  You're getting improved accuracy, optics quality, optics magnification (7x), build quality, and a lifetime warranty.  Whether those things matter to you over other range finders in the $200-300 price range is up to the individual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 12:28 PM, Wonderboy said:

I am curious about the Q4 slope also.  I really like their lifetime warranty.

I have a Q4 ordered, should be here tomorrow but I don’t have any previous experience with golf rangefinders on the course.  I have tried, and returned, a precision pro NX7, a Gogogo Sport Vpro and an Aimfox A300.  The issue with them is the field of view since I wear glasses.   I’m hoping the Q4 is better

15 hours ago, birddog1 said:

I have a Q4 ordered, should be here tomorrow but I don’t have any previous experience with golf rangefinders on the course.  I have tried, and returned, a precision pro NX7, a Gogogo Sport Vpro and an Aimfox A300.  The issue with them is the field of view since I wear glasses.   I’m hoping the Q4 is better

🤣 Me too.  Guess we can compare notes!!

16 hours ago, birddog1 said:

If like the C6 should be fine, I wear glasses and sun glasses when I play and no issues seeing the distance and target. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I got the Q4 today and it’s very nice.  Works great with my glasses and I get a full field of view.  The image is very clear, I like both the red and black displays and how it adjusts based on the ambient light.  I only used it in the yard but readings were fast.  The only thing I didn’t experience is the pin lock and haptic response.  I tried to range something that would get it to happen but no luck.  I’m going to play 9 after work tomorrow so I’ll see how it works on the course.  It’s a big step up from all the others I tried but it’s at least double, sometimes triple the price of the lesser models.   

• Like 2

My only additional feedback on the course was that the PinSense with surge wasn't working consistently for me.  The pins at the course I was at did have the reflective prisms built in, so I can't say why sometimes it would surge and some wouldn't.  Could be user error, will have another go at it this weekend.

Overall though, very happy with the performance and clarity on the course.  Even without the PinSense and Surge, I was confident I was hitting the pin. 

• Like 1

Any more thought's

So a bit more use and I finally figured out the pinsense feature.  I’m only used to the jolt on my quite old bushnell Z6 which vibrates as soon as you hit the trigger and it’s pointing at the pin.  I kept trying to replicate this with the cobalt but was not getting the vibration until I realized it works differently than what I was used to.

For cobalt, if you hold the trigger down and pan left or right, the rangefinder will vibrate and show the distance to the object in the foreground.  If you don’t pan left or right, no vibration and it will just give you distance to what you shot.

So for example, let’s say the pin is 150, and the bushes behind the pin are 195.  If you shoot the bushes behind to the left of the pin, then pan right across the pin while holding the trigger, the range finder will first read 195 because you are indeed shooting the bushes behind the green.  But as you pan right across the pin while holding the trigger, the reading will change to 150 and vibrate and continue to show 150 even as you are now holding the trigger to the right of the pin and pointing at the bushes behind at 195.  So what was happening initially for me was I was shooting just the pin and releasing the trigger, and it would give me 150 with no vibration.  I’d hit the trigger 10x.  Still no vibration.  It’s only if you hold the trigger and move across multiple objects will you get vibration and it will lock the distance of the object in the foreground no matter what.  After using this for a little over a round, I’m super impressed and think this is a genius way to know you’re not shooting a target in the background.  So now most times I will shoot the pin and hold the trigger, then pan left or right to get confirmation and the vibration that I indeed hit the pin.  I’m not sure if this is how the newer bushnells do it to.

Another thing I noticed is that if you are using slope and you shoot something, if you want to know the unadjusted number you can just flip the switch and the number changes.  You don’t need to shoot the target again.  Same works vice versa if you are not using slope, shoot a target, then turn slope on.

Also can’t say enough about the optics.  The clarity is amazing.  I never used to use the focus dial on my bushnell because everything seemed a little blurry regardless.  With the cobalt the focus dial is like using the focus dial on binoculars.  Absolutely no regrets.  If you want a high quality range finder…get this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, macrock7 said:

Just ordered one, should be here Monday 

Would love to hear your thoughts.  I still may. Kinda want to see if they offer Black Friday deal. 

I have watched every review on YouTube. Lol I’ve read everything on two other, make that four other golf sites on reviews. I just have a hard time paying that price for a rangefinder, but the lifetime warranty is reeling me in.

• Like 1