2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Love/Hate Titleist - can't believe what I read

cristphoto

I can without a doubt tell the difference between the regular ProV1 and the X from lets say 100 yards and in.  The X spins more and is more consistent for me.  Off the driver I really can't spot a difference.  On approach shots the results for me show the slight spin difference but TBH I could play either ball and it would be just fine.   For me and I think most golfers its going to come down to soft feel versus a clicky feel and if you notice a difference with your wedges relating to spin.  With the law of averages I feel that "spin is your friend" so I play the X. 

Does Titleist post which version of the ProV1/V1x their tour pros are using? I did notice during the final round of the Open Championship that two of the leaders were using the 2019 version of the ProV1, Harman was one of them, I think the other one was the player from India, maybe others do also but those were the only two that the camera got up close enough to see the ball details. I do remember years ago Bernhard Langer was about four versions behind the current release.

Edited by AzRoger

On 8/4/2023 at 2:45 PM, cristphoto said:

After playing the ProV1x for a couple years today I tried a sleeve of the Prov1's. Titleist's words say the Prov1X goes farther, flies higher, and spins more than the Prov1. I did not find any of this accurate (at least to just eyeballing comparison shots). I had played the Prov1 ever since it came out up to a few years ago when I switched models. One thing that influenced my switch to the x ball was a report by the "spy guys" saying the x was the longest tour ball for seniors with club speeds under 105. Maybe the 2023 model changes that but I found it longer off the driver the few times I compared models. Yes - not scientific or conclusive but I can say it was surely just a long and flew just as high as the x. Same way testing wedges into greens. Very similar bite with both models. The real tiebreaker foe me is the softer feel with the Prov1. I felt like I got the ball up and down from just off the green (or at least had closer putts). Plus as the title says, from now on I will do personal testing vs blindly going by online reviews. Every product acts a bit different for different golfers. Being in my 70's but still single digit I don't fit the mold of the typical golf reviewer. Final word - play more, be online less (Golfwrx excepted).  

It would be interesting to see how they compare for you on a LM.  I've tried a handful of tour balls over the years and honestly just don't see that much difference between them.  I do think Titleist wins the day on cover durability; both in scratch/nick resistance and staying glossy longer.  So, if it's a toss-up on price and on course results, I'll likely play Titleist. 

Most recently I've put AVX back in play.  They were a "toss-up" choice with PV1 when I did a free ball fitting, via phone, with Titleist a few years ago.  They are kind of in a weird space but I do find the lower trajectory and spin claims accurate. They hold greens just fine on well hit shots and distance equals and maybe even exceeds PV1 a whisker.

As has been noted already, "lab ball testing data" is simply a general guideline.  Testing from the green back to the tee, combined with some LM data, is the real truth digest.

In my 70s too, a 4 index, so likey don't conform to any typical user.

What a ball does is directly tied to the user's swing, how club head impacts the ball, even the club head, how sensitive the clubhead and shaft are, and most important, the user's hands.  I know much younger guys who have lost various degrees of feel in their hands; hence determining differences in ball profiles is lost on them... least they know it.

I've been playing DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x and AVX for some time now, which depends on weather.  ProV1x and ProV1 play similarly, (had a ProV1 in play last weekend), ProV1x is higher, while ProV1 a bit firmer and lower trajectory, but DASH is firmer than both yet plays like ProV1x into and around greens.  Stops on a dime.

@AzRoger Yes, it's posted on Titleist Tour like.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 6:42 PM, Pepperturbo said:

In my 70s too, a 4 index, so likey don't conform to any typical user.

What a ball does is directly tied to the user's swing, how club head impacts the ball, even the club head, how sensitive the clubhead and shaft are, and most important, the user's hands.  I know much younger guys who have lost various degrees of feel in their hands; hence determining differences in ball profiles is lost on them... least they know it.

I've been playing DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x and AVX for some time now, which depends on weather.  ProV1x and ProV1 play similarly, (had a ProV1 in play last weekend), ProV1x is higher, while ProV1 a bit firmer and lower trajectory, but DASH is firmer than both yet plays like ProV1x into and around greens.  Stops on a dime.

@AzRoger Yes, it's posted on Titleist Tour like.

Similarly I've been rotating through the Left Dash, the Pro V1x and the Tour Speed all season. I'm sure I'll lose many GolfWRX points for saying this, but the best ball for my game appears to be....

The Tour Speed.

Now I have no numbers to back this up, but anecdotally it seems the Tour Speed flies straighter and just as long as the other two, and is between the Left Dash and Pro V1x for greenside spin. I also seem to be able to get just as much grab on an iron into the green with the Tour Speed as the Pro V twins.

Judging by the feedback I've seen on here I appear to be alone in this - I haven't even had any of the durability issues others have mentioned, although playing on courses without cart paths may be a factor.

They're also quite a bit cheaper on the dozen. What's not to like?

• Like 3

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I really, really wanted to like Tour Speed a couple years back. They were cheaper, easily available by the sleeve or the dozen in the pro shop, urethane design, supposedly the kind of ball a player like me would like.

Just never could stick with it. Seemed to lack height and stopping power and not saying it was shorter than a Pro V1/Pro V1x but absolutely no longer. Unless I count the extra 10-15 feet of runout on my iron shots to firm greens. Pity.

Lately I've tried Pro V1 and then gone back and forth between Pro V1x and Left Dash. The best one for my game? 

[SHRUGS SHOULDER}

Darned if I know. I've played good rounds with all of them, back rounds with all of them, can't notice any pattern to it. Over the years Pro V1x has been my favorite but honestly they've tweaked the models so closely together now, for a player like me (low clubhead speed, 10-15hcp) there's just not much difference in them beside maybe the click they make off a putter. But I do like them all a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bodhi555 said:

Similarly I've been rotating through the Left Dash, the Pro V1x and the Tour Speed all season. I'm sure I'll lose many GolfWRX points for saying this, but the best ball for my game appears to be....

The Tour Speed.

Now I have no numbers to back this up, but anecdotally it seems the Tour Speed flies straighter and just as long as the other two, and is between the Left Dash and Pro V1x for greenside spin. I also seem to be able to get just as much grab on an iron into the green with the Tour Speed as the Pro V twins.

Judging by the feedback I've seen on here I appear to be alone in this - I haven't even had any of the durability issues others have mentioned, although playing on courses without cart paths may be a factor.

They're also quite a bit cheaper on the dozen. What's not to like?

FWIW, word is either the AVX or Tour Speed will be replaced as they are merging the two components together next year,  Don't know if it will retain one of the names or be called something new.   Total guess with the popularity of the Tour Speed, I say it retains that name.  The bigger question will be which cover,  using the TPU cover of Tour Speed or the more expensive Cast Urethane of the AVX, which would raise the price over the current Tour Speed, but perhaps less than the AVX. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I really, really wanted to like Tour Speed a couple years back. They were cheaper, easily available by the sleeve or the dozen in the pro shop, urethane design, supposedly the kind of ball a player like me would like.

Just never could stick with it. Seemed to lack height and stopping power and not saying it was shorter than a Pro V1/Pro V1x but absolutely no longer. Unless I count the extra 10-15 feet of runout on my iron shots to firm greens. Pity.

Ah interesting - I think there could be two factors at play here:

1) I do have quite a high ball flight anyway, so anything which lowers that is very much appreciated for me, especially in windy conditions.

2) I'm based in the UK, and with the summer we've had I don't think I've played into a firm green for about 12 months now - in fact I suspect I could get a TruFeel to drop and stop with our current conditions 🙂

I have had a lot of fun with the Left Dash, and really like the feel off the putter as it reminds me of the old RZN Blacks I used to game all the time, they're just a bit pricey and quite hard to get hold of over here. I think the Pro Shop I usually use only got 3 Dozen in for the season, and if I wanted any more would have to go online.

Got to admit the only one of the Titleist Urethane balls I'n really not a fan of are the AVX as I found them far too soft and roll out on chips far more than I would like, so to @Carolina Golfer 2's point, I really hope they keep the Tour Speed alive rather than the AVX. It's taken me 6 years to find a ball I like as much as the old RZNs - it would be just my luck if it got discontinued 6 months later 🙂

However if there was one Titleist ball that really should ride off into the sunset it's the Tour Soft. What an overpriced bag of rubbish that is.

• Like 2

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, gioreeko said:

I hit the ProV1 around 330 when it's on the screws. The ProV1X? about 330 on the screws. Same as the Snell MTB X, Vice Pro Plus, Maxfli Tour X. Point is, don't over think it. 

If somebody was interested in how many FEET you hit it someone would have asked. 🤔

• Haha 2

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I thought the point in the two pro v1 types was they go the same distance but it’s how they get there. So v1x flies higher and spins more, v1 flies lower and spins less. I’ve never read any claim about one being longer than the other, that’s more Taylormades bag.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]