NFL Weekly Picks 2023

touch

11 minutes ago, touch said:

We were talking some of our favorite NFL RB's a few days ago. Here's a list of the Top 10 Angriest runners of all time in the NFL.

Hey @doctoro Riggins made the list. 💪 The doc and I were fortunate to go to many Redskin home games together in the 1980's and saw "the Diesel" flatten many a defender.

I was pretty certain that one particular RB was going to be in the top spot and I was not disappointed. 

I almost put Marshawn in there. 
He was awesome 

I love the angry running backs. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:03 PM, Qqq123xx said:

Here is the spread for next weeks Championship Game. Also added couple bonus plays.

WASHINGTON  +4.5  / MICHIGAN   -4.5     O/U    55.5

Pick both spread and O/U.         1 win or loss for each pick.

15 pt. spread.       Worth two wins, no losses involved.

Pick final score total points.      Closest to worth one win, no loss. Separate pick than 15pt. spread. 

Pick final score point difference.  Think game will be 37-34 so your pick is 3pts.  Closes to one win, no loss.   

Let me know if you want to do the last two. Majority rules.

I will repost this post next Monday before game.      

My picks

Michigan -4.5

Over 55,5

15 pt Spread 56-71

65 points

34-31 so point difference 3 points 

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, touch said:

We were talking some of our favorite NFL RB's a few days ago. Here's a list of the Top 10 Angriest runners of all time in the NFL.

Hey @doctoro Riggins made the list. 💪 The doc and I were fortunate to go to many Redskin home games together in the 1980's and saw "the Diesel" flatten many a defender.

I was pretty certain that one particular RB was going to be in the top spot and I was not disappointed. 

Earl Campbell and Jim Brown were the only men who made me afraid for the defenders trying to tackle them.

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

16 hours ago, touch said:

Kinda surprised to see Payton omitted from that list. He was a pretty angry runner.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:07 AM, chisag said:

... Ain't that the conundrum for every college QB? Penix looked like he should have won the Heisman last night but what will he look like against an NFL pass rush and shifting defenses. Is Nix another Purdy (1% chance of another Purdy from any QB) or is he a Cousins putting up gaudy stats but always playing poorly in the big games? Is Maye another Herbert and is Williams another Mahomes or will they both become average NFL QB's that eventually need to be replaced by another franchise prospect? 

... I watch many college QB's on 2 levels. What they are playing against and how does what they are doing translate to the NFL. I think many viewers are spoiled watching TV coverage because unless you have been back there dropping back while a tornado of 6'6" guys moving in every direction is in front of you, it's hard to fully comprehend how being 6'4" or taller is such an advantage over being 6'. I will always marvel at what Drew Brees was able to accomplish. Look at their leadership, attitude, drops, mechanics, anticipation, accuracy, poise under pressure and can they throw deep and short with the same kind of precision. I really don't care how they can run downfield because so far there has only been one Lamar Jackson, but I care very much if they can move around in the pocket or run well if absolutely necessary while still keeping their eyes downfield. Scouts and GM's will go over all that with every second of every college game played ... and still get it wrong. The chances of a bust coming out of Maye, Williams, Daniels, Penix and Nix is just as high as any other year filled with such bright prospects. But so are the chances at least one or maybe two of them turns into a true Franchise QB. 

I agree. I still am not sure about Josh Allen...

People would say "How can you say that"?  What I mean is yes he is a freak of nature, all the attributes of a great QB tall, big arm, and can run when needed.

What's not to like?  Well, he also throws a lot of interceptions and can be a bit erratic in the 4th quarter in big games.

If I had to pick a QB in any round any year he would be near the top of the list.  But his attributes have given him a very long leash.  If Tom Brady was not a student of the game he would have probably gotten washed out of the league or been a journeyman QB like Fitzmagic was in the day.  

My point is that no one can predict how a QB is going to perform no matter what his stats, and physical attributes are.  How will coaches in the NFL mesh with their new draft picks?  How much emphasis will be placed on development and how much will be put into winning at all costs?  Andy Reid allowed Mahomes to learn from a year of watching Alex Smith play very well with KC.  Contrast that with all the flame-out 1st round picks that were thrown into the starting lineup on crap teams only to try and survive a blitzkrieg with no offensive lines. Career over before we ever knew if they were going to develop.

• Like 2

I have no idea about Washington other than they will be in the Big 10 next year.  Their QB is good and their offense might be a few ticks better than Michigan

But Michigan's defense will make up for those few ticks and then some.

They beat the big bad Alabama.  

I will give -4.5

Taking the under 55.5

Michigan 27/34

Washington 20/13  

7pt difference/ 14pt difference 

Total 47

15pt spread. 45 - 60

Not bad 

Edited by doctoro
  • Like 2

No love here for the Huskies.  Their defense plays hard but still gives up 30 points a game.  But Mr. Penix and company on offense always seem to score a few more points than the other team.  At least 14 times this year.  Hopefully that can continue in the National Championship.

My best golfing friend is a big Michigan fan, having attended there, so we've been having some good discourse over the last week...

• Like 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... other than Touch...

Yes girl GIFs - Obtenez le meilleur gif sur GIFER

Edited by touch

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... other than Touch...

I actually love the Huskies program, I just don't think they have enough time to scheme against that vaunted Michigan defense.  They had a lot of time to scheme up for their playoff game.  Rod Woodson said that this would be the greatest Michigan team ever if they Beat Washington for the Championship.  I have to agree.  Besides I want Harbaugh to come to Washington and coach down the street from his brother

• Like 1

15 hours ago, doctoro said:

thrown into the starting lineup on crap teams only to try and survive a blitzkrieg with no offensive lines. Career over before we ever knew if they were going to develop.

No doubt. I remember when no coach would start a rookie QB and many sat 2-3 years. But the rookie salary structure almost mandates getting them out in year 1. If not then, year 2 is a must. Gotta know by year 4 because they’re on 4-year deals if first round picks. Load up at other positions before you have to extend the QB and eat up the cap. Hope you can contend before then. That’s the primary reason I’d move on from Fields if I was the Chicago GM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, doctoro said:

They beat the big bad Alabama.  

Was ‘Bama really big and bad this year? Beating Georgia would indicate yes, but just getting to that game would make you question it.

The natty is set up perfectly - strength on strength. I love Penix, but I think Michigan’s offense against Washington’s defense is where the game turns.

10 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Was ‘Bama really big and bad this year? Beating Georgia would indicate yes, but just getting to that game would make you question it.

The natty is set up perfectly - strength on strength. I love Penix, but I think Michigan’s offense against Washington’s defense is where the game turns.

I agree. Michigan could chew up so much time that Washington is going to have a lot fewer possessions than normal. They’re going to have to be really efficient with each one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doctoro said:

I actually love the Huskies program, I just don't think they have enough time to scheme against that vaunted Michigan defense.  They had a lot of time to scheme up for their playoff game.  Rod Woodson said that this would be the greatest Michigan team ever if they Beat Washington for the Championship.  I have to agree.  Besides I want Harbaugh to come to Washington and coach down the street from his brother

The advantage Washington has is Penix ... He's played against, and beaten, Michigan. He's not going into the game totally cold. 

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

19 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Similar to baseball. Good pitching almost always beats good hitting.

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

The advantage Washington has is Penix ... He's played against, and beaten, Michigan. He's not going into the game totally cold. 

Correct, but I do not think that is going to matter against this defense.  This game should be good, Washington and Penix are the better offense.  But Michigan's defense is not what he saw in 2020

2 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

No doubt. I remember when no coach would start a rookie QB and many sat 2-3 years. But the rookie salary structure almost mandates getting them out in year 1. If not then, year 2 is a must. Gotta know by year 4 because they’re on 4-year deals if first round picks. Load up at other positions before you have to extend the QB and eat up the cap. Hope you can contend before then. That’s the primary reason I’d move on from Fields if I was the Chicago GM.

If Fields leads them to a win against the "hot" Jordan Love in Green Bay, things will get interesting in the offseason for Chicago...the team loves Fields, and the fans love Fields.  Who is to say that Williams and Maye are the answers?  That Bears' defense got a lot better, even if Sweat signs a big deal they can draft more depth on defense.  I am not saying that a great QB prospect should be ignored and if they feel strongly about either of the top two QBs then pull the trigger.  I just don't think walking away from Fields is going to be easy if he wins on Sunday against a division rival that needs to win at home to go to the playoffs, which they traditionally never beat on the road.

The last post has me pondering the Bears vs Packers situation.  "Should I stay or should I go". "If I stay there will be trouble, If I go there will be double."  "Come on and let me know, should I stay or should I go?"  

I say he stays.  Bring me the son of the former Hall of Famer!

image.png.e7eec90d79cd65f9b31d4d6bc9df4d16.png

Edited by doctoro
  • Like 1

My Picks for the last week of the regular season.  Week 18 

Houston +1

Tampa - 5 1/2 

Buffalo -3 

Posted (edited)

Our Picks  Week 18 

TL                 Tampa              Detroit             New Orleans

imk              ATL/NO Over    Arizona            KC/LAC Over

chisag         Chicago            Tampa              New Orleans

P3P       PGH/BAL Over PP   PHI/NYG Over  Washington

NCL       Houston                 Tampa              Seattle

DMM     NYJ/NE Under PP  Kansas City       ? 

touch     Houston                 Tampa             Buffalo 

Edited by touch

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

DMM in the room with his reliable picks:

- Jets @ NE (snow)  UNDER 32  Also, my final losing PP

- KC @ Chargers - KC with the spread

- Sharks @ Jets  UNDER 3 bloody noses

So you have the Jets playing in two different games? 

Are you sipping Mushroom Tea today Bellingham? 

5 minutes ago, touch said:

Okay, I'm swapping out the Sharks gang vs. the Jets gang on the West side of New York City for:

- Houston @ Indy (snow) - UNDER 47

NFL PICKS WK. 18

DET.   -5         Their still p'd over last weeks debacle, and will stay so. 

N.E.    -2          PP

N.E. / N.Y.       U/32      Yep I'm double dipping. Weather, starting Sat. night is for 4-8" of rainy wet heavy snow thru Sunday evening. And the Pats FG kicker is inconsistent. So I could get seriously DDF'd. Originally had the over here, with weather could be 3-2.       

• Like 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

COLLEGE BOWL PICKS

MICH.     -4.5

O / 55.5

15 PT.       57-72

TP              72

FS               10 PTS.   (41-31)

• Like 1

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

22 minutes ago, touch said:

That was a hockey reference. 

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4