2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

That guy or folks you LIKE playing a round with.

Mikey_HACKilroy

So, we've all seen the people we hate playing a round with thread.... So how about a people you LIKE playing a round with?

Today I enjoyed a round after work where two didn't show up but the guy I ended up getting paired with was a lot better than I was. Real nice guy and quite understanding of my place on the course having started back up this year.

I felt a lot more at ease and grounded once I settled in and I felt like I played better golf. Shaved 9 strokes off. Got my first birdie of the year, 4 pars, 2 bogeys and a chip in to save one of those bogies. Putting was better, too.

I got into trouble with the driver really bad today (it was just a bad day LOL). Had I not, I probably would have shot close to bogey golf...... But I didn't.

Irons and hybrids were way better and I had a lot more pure strikes. So yeah, I thought I'd not enjoy playing with someone who was a lot better, but we were playing at a 2.5hr pace until we caught up to the guys in front of us. Still played 3hrs.

Sorry for the novel.... Do you folks find that you play better around certain types of folks? (Friend or stranger)

• Like 2

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

19 minutes ago, Kai Slater said:

I tend to enjoy rounds of golf with folks that don't take themselves or their games too seriously.  It's the super-serious guy that I don't care to play with.  But, good player or bad player, or wherever in between, as long as we have good conversation, can laugh at our bad shots, and just enjoy being out there, I'm pretty much able to enjoy the round with most anyone.

Yeah, that's kind of the way I look at it. We all get disappointed with a string of bad shots, but I try to limit my "serious" approach to the point in which I'm taking the shot. If it is a bad one, it's frustrating when they string along, but it's still just a game I play for fun. 😄

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

Fall through Spring is great for that. I used to play with my dad all the time; but he doesn't really play anymore. He says he's gonna take me out for a round on my birthday but I wonder if he can swing a club anymore. LOL

I might have to be giving him lessons LOL.

I have couple of friends who are pretty decent. When I play with them, I'm mentally prepared to play and tend to shoot better. Better focus, better score and I enjoy that. 

I also have friends who are not as good. And I have just as much fun with them smoking and joking, I don't really care about my score and I'm just out there to have a good time. 

Quick story, met a lad from England while playing the Bethpage Black course. Had small conversations here and there and just a good guy. It was a long and tough day and I took out my flask and carefully asked if he wanted some bourbon. He said "You should've asked me after that 4th hole!" We went to the 19th hole afterwards where I met his wife (who was also great) and had all the bourbon they had at the bar because he wanted to drink something American. Murica!

• Like 2

2023 Bag Under Construction

My wife, almost exclusively. Its more fun when I can see her hit a good shot or improve.

• Like 3

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

12 minutes ago, slytown said:

My wife, almost exclusively. Its more fun when I can see her hit a good shot or improve.

I actually thought about trying to get my wife into golf, but I don't think she'd like it... I pitched it a few weeks ago hehe

She'll ride along in the offseason when it is cooler, though. That's usually fun, except for when she laughs at my bad shots LOL

I play as a single a lot and always enjoy getting paired with a better player. Agree that it help to focus and get in "golf mode" so to speak. Also always a good visual to see someone striking it well right next to you (and usually before you off the tee lol).

Stealth2+ 10.5 | HZRDUS Blue 60 6.5

SIM2 Max 18 | Tensei Orange 75X

SIM2 Max 21 | AD VR 8X

P760 4-PW | DG 120 X100

MG3 50/54/58 | TI S400

Spider X Copper

Vice Pro Plus

23 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I actually thought about trying to get my wife into golf, but I don't think she'd like it... I pitched it a few weeks ago hehe

She'll ride along in the offseason when it is cooler, though. That's usually fun, except for when she laughs at my bad shots LOL

That's so sad. My wife and I feel bad when we see a guy with his wife or gf just watching him and not participating. Take her to a putting course or something simple. Get her involved.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

😄 I try, but she's not really that interested; at least not yet. Though I'll admit she didn't totally shut down the idea.

In all honesty, I like it because she does provide encouragement when I'm not striking it well. She laughed a few times when I hit a shot into a tree.... It lightened the mood LOL

The players I like best are the ones who magically combine being pretty good with being really laid back and casual. 

I like the guys who seem like they're out there just to have fun but yet they're totally competent players who continually hit quality shots.

It's especially good if their strengths are opposite mine. Since I hit it a decent ways, I most like when I get to play with a person who leans a little bit more on their putting skill. That inspires me. 

If the person is too serious, that's not fun. If the person isn't good enough it rubs off and everyone in the group starts hitting poor shots. You really want to find that magic combination of someone being fun and casual while still throwing up a surprisingly good score at the end.  

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 4

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

6 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

The players I like best are the ones who magically combine being pretty good with being really laid back and casual. 

I like the guys who seem like they're out there just to have fun but yet they're totally competent players who continually hit quality shots.

It's especially good if their strengths are opposite mine. Since I hit it a decent ways, I most like when I get to play with a person who leans a little bit more on their putting skill. That inspires me. 

If the person is too serious, that's not fun. If the person isn't good enough it rubs off and everyone in the group starts hitting poor shots. You really want to find that magic combination of someone being fun and casual while still throwing up a surprisingly good score at the end.  

Way back when I was a younger player with fewer injuries, I used to get really mad at myself and be really hard on myself when I hit a bad shot; playing with laid-back guys kind of kept me in check and made me realize that I wasn't as good as I thought I was and that I wasn't good enough to get mad at myself.  One thing I try to be aware of is whether or not I am a pleasant person to be with during a round of golf.  I certainly don't want to be "that guy" as we discussed in the other thread about playing with those that we can't stand to be around.

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

7 Wood-Callaway Paradym w/Aldila Ascent shaft

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

It's funny, though, because becoming a better golfer usually means letting go of the anger at bad shots.... hehe

• Like 3

There really is no way to not be disappointed in a bad shot. 🙂

It's just more fun when you play with people who are at peace with their games whether they're good or bad. In fact, yesterday I hit a lot of quality shots but should have warmed up the driver. Playing with a legit mid/lo handicapper put me at greater ease. I recovered from several terrible lies that otherwise would have been death for me a week ago.

Saw real improvements; which kind of inspired the thread here..... 😄

As a general rule, the older the guy (or woman) is, the more fun I have.  

I've had the best times with older guys.  They are at a point in life where they know their game, know etiquette,  and are fun to be around.  They don't crush the ball, but are wicked around the greens. 

Plus, I get to hear some of the best life advice and funniest stories ever told.  

Choice between a 25 year old 3 HCP and a 70 year old with a 15 HCP,   I chose the 70 every time, hands down.

• Like 4

I played a kid that was not very good and had a gambling problem last week.  So that was pretty fun.  I can play with anyone though, but I really enjoy playing with really good players.  Just to watch to see how they play.  Course management, how they set up, swing patterns...stuff like that.  

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

One who doesn’t go into shot to shot details on how he played the last hole , which I saw in all its glory or badness but I digress.

One who gets it out after his bad shots with one word and it’s over. Watches where he walks on the greens. Laughs and tells joke but not at the cost of the pace of play. Never mentions what he is shooting or what I’m shooting. And never speaks about his past sex life. The crazy thing is I got a guy in our group that talks about the women he’s been with and he’s almost 80. Glory Days….

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

My old man is my favorite person to play with but he plays twice a week so its hard for us to get out together often. Other than that I only have 1 pal who plays and its become increasingly less enjoyable to play with him... so really its the strangers who I encounter who I enjoy playing with.

I see big groups of 8-10 guys at league night having a blast and I realize I've got no friends lol 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Ya... In fact I haven't played golf with my dad in years and he's kind of at the point where going back to it on the regular isn't practical anymore; so that's sad. Not that he's hobbling around... LOL

He and I played a ton of golf from the 90s up through around 2016 or so. I get to play a round with him later this month, but I told him "I'm going to give you some lessons or I'm going to recommend you use your putter, because that's what you're gonna be doing anyways...!"

LOL...

Of course I was teasing.... 😄

Anybody who has enough game to sort of keep the pace moving.  And anyone with the wherewithal to know how to make things more efficient out there.  Things like taking your putter and a few wedges for a shot.  Guys that are just "in the flow" of the game.  I am not a jack-rabbit out there but I loathe holding anyone up behind me.

I don't talk a lot when I play so don't really want to be chatting all the time.  I am not socially awkward but also not overly social either.  My circle of friends is small.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

20210908_111125.jpg.a88b5c8e35edc154571a7168e85d266d.jpg

That looks like a lovely course, by the way. Also, sorry to hear about your friend and it is good that you keep his memory with you the way that you do.

Memories make us rich.

• Like 3

I am a competitive type and have played well in all conditions, but I definitely prefer good company and good conditions over the more difficult situations - high winds, rain, bad company, etc - which are more endured than enjoyed. I take satisfaction from playing well in a tough spot, but it’s something I don’t want on the steady.

I have played most of my non-tournament rounds with 2 different groups at my course (both around 30 players) over 40 years (since 18 yrs old). Here are the elements that I like and which produces a good time:

1. We have an agreement on a game for every round. ($20 = skins, proximities, award for best net score, etc.) And we agree to play by the rules of golf.

2. We also have games within each foursome; scotch, Nassau, etc. Some guys also have individual bets with other players. 

3. Both groups have real characters and the laughter is plentiful. That is a key.  Especially around the putting green before play as the groups are formed and so on. And more fun in the clubhouse after play. It’s a good time. 

4. In tournaments or comps against another club, most of the time the other guys are terrific. But we all have had trying experiences as well. I’d say the comps are about 90% positive experience.

If you like to compete, just keep putting yourself into the situation and eventually you should break through.

Edited by mark m

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I most often book as a single so I’ve played with all levels of golfers and all sorts of personalities. I find it usually doesn’t matter whether they are better, around the same or worse, as long as they are out there to have a good time we’ll get along just fine. Played a few rounds recently with a guy who has accepted where his game is and just says let’s hit it, find it and hit it again and he’s been great to play with. I really enjoy playing with they guys around scratch just to see how they approach the game and recover from the few mishits they have. Only had one bad experience and it was just cause he talked too much and then started analyzing parts of my game. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

15 hours ago, cbrwn425 said:

Only had one bad experience and it was just cause he talked too much and then started analyzing parts of my game. 

I guess he meant well... LOL

I am a talkative person, so sometimes I wonder if I'm one of the annoying ones LOL

But we all generally get along. I treat the people I play with as if we've played together before because it's just better that way. As long as we don't break the cardinal rules of golf... I.E. unwelcome comments on each other's game... LOL

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I guess he meant well... LOL

I am a talkative person, so sometimes I wonder if I'm one of the annoying ones LOL

But we all generally get along. I treat the people I play with as if we've played together before because it's just better that way. As long as we don't break the cardinal rules of golf... I.E. unwelcome comments on each other's game... LOL

I’ve played with plenty of talkers and had no issues. I find it pretty nice for a change usually cause I’m naturally very introverted. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5