2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

What to get past 5i?

Dewdman42

Have recently updated my irons and trying to decide what to do for the good ol' 4 iron dilema.  Probably a hybrid.  what we are talking about is something for 200 yards.  My 5i shots sometimes roll out to 200, but usually are in the 190-195 range total...185 carry.  

I recently bought the Paradym 21 degree hybrid.  Feels nice.  I hit it too long though for the gap after my 5i.  I already tried setting its loft to 23 degrees, which helps a bit, but still I have a pretty decent gap there around 200-205.  

Trying to decide if I should take this hybrid back and rethink, I have 90 days.  Or plan to choke up on it for 200 yards...or get a 24 degree hybrid, the next one which is really considered more like a 5h.  But at the shop I was not hitting the Paradym 24 degree 5 nearly as far as the 4h.  IN fact its distance was quite in line with my 5i.  I even tried changing  its loft to 23 degrees, but but the two clubs set to 23 degrees go different distances for me with a pretty decent gap still.  But I could try it more..

But anyway my general question is how to best deal with this 200-205 gap I have, too far for 5i, too short for for the 21 degree hybrid, probably a lot of it is that the Paradym 4h rolls quite a bit further then my 5i.  any suggestions welcome.

I swing driver about ~100mph,  7i is ~85mph.  

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

24 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Demo the 5h with the 4h length shaft

I'd start there....

That's interesting.  I will have to go back and try to set that up.  I definitely want to try the 5h some more. At the shop they didn't have a 5h demo, had to tape one up for me.  But I will also bring my 5i with me in order to calibrate their gcquad and make sure I'm picking a club that fills the gap after 5i.

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

35 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

That's interesting.  I will have to go back and try to set that up.  I definitely want to try the 5h some more. At the shop they didn't have a 5h demo, had to tape one up for me.  But I will also bring my 5i with me in order to calibrate their gcquad and make sure I'm picking a club that fills the gap after 5i.

May or may not help - depends on how efficient it helps your swing/delivery. IMO hybrids have certain lengths,  that are sweet spots. Hybrids tend to be hotter as well.  A lofted down 5h +1/2"  just might cover that gap. Upping the shaft weight might add a few more yards, just depends on your swing

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Try a larger more forgiving 4 iron.

What irons are you using?

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

1 hour ago, Dewdman42 said:

Have recently updated my irons and trying to decide what to do for the good ol' 4 iron dilema.  Probably a hybrid.  what we are talking about is something for 200 yards.  My 5i shots sometimes roll out to 200, but usually are in the 190-195 range total...185 carry.  

I recently bought the Paradym 21 degree hybrid.  Feels nice.  I hit it too long though for the gap after my 5i.  I already tried setting its loft to 23 degrees, which helps a bit, but still I have a pretty decent gap there around 200-205.  

Trying to decide if I should take this hybrid back and rethink, I have 90 days.  Or plan to choke up on it for 200 yards...or get a 24 degree hybrid, the next one which is really considered more like a 5h.  But at the shop I was not hitting the Paradym 24 degree 5 nearly as far as the 4h.  IN fact its distance was quite in line with my 5i.  I even tried changing  its loft to 23 degrees, but but the two clubs set to 23 degrees go different distances for me with a pretty decent gap still.  But I could try it more..

But anyway my general question is how to best deal with this 200-205 gap I have, too far for 5i, too short for for the 21 degree hybrid, probably a lot of it is that the Paradym 4h rolls quite a bit further then my 5i.  any suggestions welcome.

If 5i carries 185 plus a bit of rollout and the hybrid carries 200-205 with little release what’s the problem? Sounds about perfect.

• Like 2

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Just now, Dewdman42 said:

JPX 923 Tours.

Maybe the 923 Hot Metal HL 4 iron.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

4 minutes ago, Putter Addict said:

Curious and maybe an obvious question, why not a 4 iron? Not sure if your set has a more forgiving option you can mix in.

4i is not out of the question either!  I didn't order it with my set and it's hard to find one to demo, but it will be 6 weeks special order to get one.  I am considering it.  Might order it anyway just to have it and see if I can.  As everyone says 4i is not as forgiving, get the hybrid, etc..who knows.  For me typically if I go to the range I can get in a groove after a while with my 4i's in the past, but if I am on the course I don't usually need it except once or twice in the e round and after hitting my mid irons so far, I tend to screw up my 4i shot at that point.  The hybrids do tend to give me a bit more forgiveness in that regard.   12 handicap, trending down at the moment...  I am not immune to practice makes perfect, but anyway...  it could very well be that a 4i is the only thing that will fill that gap as the hybrids all seem to go too far unless I try to get just the right 5h

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

If you like the feel of the hybrid, you can always cut the shaft to a 4 iron length. This will reduce the length and close the gap. 

Adjust the swing weight with lead tape and bingo.

• Like 1

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

3 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

I would look at a 5hybrid or a 9wood. You’ll be amazed how good the 9wd is. Much easier to land softly.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, C_rad said:

If you like the feel of the hybrid, you can always cut the shaft to a 4 iron length. This will reduce the length and close the gap. 

Adjust the swing weight with lead tape and bingo.

Either that or, slightly, lengthen a 23° hybrid may be perfect for that slot.

@Dewdman42  Either of those ideas could work.  As a 12 you have more pressing issues to get scores down than fine tuning 200+ yard spots in your bag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dewdman42 said:

let me worry about the rest of my game.  200 yard gir’s are part of it too.

Good, and one of the suggestions given should work for you.  There have been some excellent ones.

6 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

JPX 923 Tours.

Wait, so the JPX 923 Tour 5 iron is what, 27 degrees loft? And the 4 iron is 24 degrees. So I definitely wouldn’t be surprised at all if a 21 degree hybrid to a 27 degree 5 iron is too big of a gap.

TSR3 24 degree hybrid is lower launching and might be worth a try? 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

This one is actually easy.

It's the same as most of them only we have thousands of golfers with thousands of rounds to weigh in on their experiences.

1st you MEASURE. in this case that means you compare how you hit club X vs club Y.

2nd. You just get a 4hyrbid with a shaft that fits you very well you tweak it for CONTROL and you get on with your life.

A huge percentage of golfers over 35 years old play best

Driver
4wood
5 or 7 wood
4 hybrid

Again I say get a hybrid with a shaft you love hitting approach shots with and if you cut it a bit shorter for precise distances, better contact and better misses you'll be in business.

Also 90% of golfer are horrible at 180 yards in the fairway or 200 yards off of the tee. If you become OK you'll be better than most.

JMHO

7 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Wait, so the JPX 923 Tour 5 iron is what, 27 degrees loft? And the 4 iron is 24 degrees. So I definitely wouldn’t be surprised at all if a 21 degree hybrid to a 27 degree 5 iron is too big of a gap.

TSR3 24 degree hybrid is lower launching and might be worth a try? 

yes that is correct, 5i is 27 degrees.  the 4i which I don't have is 24 degrees.  I think I'm gonna order that to have it in 6 weeks to match my set, but quite possibly I will still end up using a hybrid (or 7w) instead anyway.

it definitely is a big gap.  I tried adjusting the Paradym to 23 degrees, but still a big gap, and I'm not liking the way it hits that way either.   

There is a 24 degree paradym also(considered like 5h), which I also tried briefly, and I need to try it out some more, I plan to bring my 5i with me to the shop next time to calibrate against their monitor to make sure whatever I am trying is 10-15 yards longer.  I should also try the Paradigm X 5h.  

or other brands, I'm not sold on the paradym at the moment.   I'm gonna return this one tomorrow.

You mentioned "lower launching", what is your reasoning behind wanting lower launch?  

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

29 minutes ago, JAMH03 said:

A huge percentage of golfers over 35 years old play best

Driver
4wood
5 or 7 wood
4 hybrid

Again I say get a hybrid with a shaft you love hitting approach shots with and if you cut it a bit shorter for precise distances, better contact and better misses you'll be in business.

Also 90% of golfer are horrible at 180 yards in the fairway or 200 yards off of the tee. If you become OK you'll be better than most.

JMHO

I'm 58, so check....  I have been using driver, 4W, 3H, 4H for quite a while.  I swing my driver about 100mph.   Its not fast or slow..right on the border of regular vs stiff shaft.  I will probably slow down my swing in the next decade.

In the past couple years I made some major strides in my swing and am now hitting consistently 15-20 yards further then years past with my irons.  In the past, 180 was about my limit to even consider trying to get on the green...beyond that was a course management layup every time.  Now I'm looking at 200 as the possible max approach distance, I'm just exploring the possibilities right now.  180 approach is definitely in my wheelhouse now with my 6i.  200 will be the distance that I am stretching to see if I can make those happen without a layup, at least in some cases.  The question is whether I can float something up in the air and get it land and stop within 15 yards or so on the green, with reasonable dispersion and distance control...or will I have to punch something up the fairway and try to bounce it on the green?  In which case I would probably opt to layup honestly, and try to up and down it.  If the ball has to roll 20 yards to get out past 200, then I'm not likely to approach with it.  At that point there is not much point in even having any long club other than for par 5 second shots.  

But I would definitely like to explore the possibility of being able to approach from 200ish reliably enough to be be worth doing it instead of laying up.

And yea there are a few of those 200ish yard par 3's which are problematic right now.

Edited by Dewdman42
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

9 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

9 wood.  Something like a TSR1 might work for you.

Driver:  TaylorMade Sim2 Max / 10 Deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / Lamkin Crossline
3W:  Titleist TSR3 HL  / 16.5 Deg / ProjectX HZRDUS Black 4g Stiff / Lamkin Crossline

7W:  Titleist TSR2  /  20.25 Deg  / Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 65 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

9W:  Titleist TSR1  /  23 Deg  /  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 75 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

5i - 7i:  Sub70 659CB Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

8i - GW:  Sub70 659TC Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

SW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 55 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

LW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 60 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Putter:  Bell Putters Bell 410