Increasing Driver Swing Speed

gripandrip

Has anyone out there followed a specific program that resulted in swing speed improvements?

I'm getting older (62), and driver swing speed has dropped some (used to be an easy 105-107), now have to get on it for 100-102. I know age is definitely a factor, but I'm in pretty good shape, work out multiple times a week, stretch, etc. 

I know that swing technique has a big factor, but  I don't think I have really changed much. Thoughts?

I’m 58 and stuck at 100.  Personally I think there is only so far we can go at this point in terms of raw strength and flexibility.  That is a losing battle.  Hell I am usually too tight to swing good by hole 15 of every round, especially if play pace is slow.

i think there might be something to training the neuro system to swing faster with training aids but i think if you were already at 107 then  you were probably already there.

aside from that it’s gotta be about strike accuracy.  Make sure your 101 mph is getting you 275 sometimes more sometimes less.  Perfect dynamic loft, perfect angle of attack, perfect launch angle and spin and height, hit the ball in the center of the face with a baby draw or fade and increase your fairways hit percentage.  Play your strength as a wiser man.

i personally don’t think it’s wise to try to swing harder over 60.  I am all about trying to make my drive reliable at 100mph and efficient.  270 yards is totally fine for me.   I personally think that in order to swing faster than that at this age you will end up breaking yourself sooner or later.  Getting that speed requires flexibility to turn your hips while keeping your head behind the ball, etc  out flexibility now is not what it used to be and little by little we will slowly start doing weird things when our body doesn’t contort as much as it used to.  And we might break, did I mention?  

also the so called fast twitch muscles start to go away after 40 and we are well past that now.  For the same reason I can do medium and long radius ski turns like a banshee but no way I can do fast slalom any more.  My body simply does not respond quickly enough.  Those muscles are involved with generating swing speed too.

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

I agree with Dewdman42. If the ball is going to low, just add more loft to the driver. That should get you some distance back on carry. Otherwise, accept that when we get older we get slower. Don't need to swing 120mph like Padraig Harrington is trying to.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

53 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

62...TRT

And swing all out for 10 swings 3 times a week with driver.

This,

also make sure you get a good warmup before the swings, don't lift weights or do hard cardio before the swings, and increase the number of swings to about 25 per session gradually. Consistency is key

Staying fit with resistance training, mobility etc. is important and helpful of course, but the body literally forgets how to move fast with age. It must be trained directly.

• Like 2

Really loose wrists and arms have helped me to pick up some extra MPH.  Something about angular speed has really helped with effortless power for me.

Driver:  TaylorMade Sim2 Max / 10 Deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / Lamkin Crossline
3W:  Titleist TSR3 HL  / 16.5 Deg / ProjectX HZRDUS Black 4g Stiff / Lamkin Crossline

7W:  Titleist TSR2  /  20.25 Deg  / Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 65 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

9W:  Titleist TSR1  /  23 Deg  /  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 75 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

5i - 7i:  Sub70 659CB Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

8i - GW:  Sub70 659TC Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

SW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 55 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

LW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 60 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Putter:  Bell Putters Bell 410

2 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

I’m 58 and stuck at 100.  Personally I think there is only so far we can go at this point in terms of raw strength and flexibility.  That is a losing battle.  Hell I am usually too tight to swing good by hole 15 of every round, especially if play pace is slow.

i think there might be something to training the neuro system to swing faster with training aids but i think if you were already at 107 then  you were probably already there.

aside from that it’s gotta be about strike accuracy.  Make sure your 101 mph is getting you 275 sometimes more sometimes less.  Perfect dynamic loft, perfect angle of attack, perfect launch angle and spin and height, hit the ball in the center of the face with a baby draw or fade and increase your fairways hit percentage.  Play your strength as a wiser man.

i personally don’t think it’s wise to try to swing harder over 60.  I am all about trying to make my drive reliable at 100mph and efficient.  270 yards is totally fine for me.   I personally think that in order to swing faster than that at this age you will end up breaking yourself sooner or later.  Getting that speed requires flexibility to turn your hips while keeping your head behind the ball, etc  out flexibility now is not what it used to be and little by little we will slowly start doing weird things when our body doesn’t contort as much as it used to.  And we might break, did I mention?  

also the so called fast twitch muscles start to go away after 40 and we are well past that now.  For the same reason I can do medium and long radius ski turns like a banshee but no way I can do fast slalom any more.  My body simply does not respond quickly enough.  Those muscles are involved with generating swing speed too.

Sure if you aren’t doing any type of resistance training, mobility work and don’t eat somewhat decent. But strength gain still be gained or maintained as we age, the problem is most people don’t do some sort of training as they age 

Edited by GoGoErky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GoGoErky said:

Sure if you aren’t doing any type of resistance training, mobility work and don’t eat somewhat decent. But strength gain still be gained or maintained as we age, the problem is most people don’t do some sort of training as they age 

Strength can only be maintained for so long as we age.  Expect to see some drop off when hitting 40+.  Let's just say I was in the 1400 club when I was in my 20's into my early 30's when I was doing competitive body building for the big 3 lifts.  Nowadays, I'm closer to the 900 club at 43.  I expect to see even more of a decline when I hit 50+.  FYI, I'm on doctor prescribed HRT which has worked wonders in maintaining some semblance of muscle and strength. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

4 hours ago, gripandrip said:

Has anyone out there followed a specific program that resulted in swing speed improvements?

I'm getting older (62), and driver swing speed has dropped some (used to be an easy 105-107), now have to get on it for 100-102. I know age is definitely a factor, but I'm in pretty good shape, work out multiple times a week, stretch, etc. 

I know that swing technique has a big factor, but  I don't think I have really changed much. Thoughts?

Sorry to say, but at your age, you can only do so much.  My golf specific training for my clients and I include strength training, Olympic lifts, plyometrics and mobility/flexibility work.  Speed training at the range also helps where you swing all out for 20-50 swings depending on age and fitness level. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

29 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Strength can only be maintained for so long as we age.  Expect to see some drop off when hitting 40+.  Let's just say I was in the 1400 club when I was in my 20's into my early 30's when I was doing competitive body building for the big 3 lifts.  Nowadays, I'm closer to the 900 club at 43.  I expect to see even more of a decline when I hit 50+.  FYI, I'm on doctor prescribed HRT which has worked wonders in maintaining some semblance of muscle and strength. 

I’m 50 on trt and am gaining strength all the time. Have an 1100 total on the platform missing two attempts. Planning to be around 1250 if not higher in Apr/May next year.

Layne Norton covers some good info here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwDjK4OO_9B/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by GoGoErky

Thanks for the responses (although all that getting old talk is depressing.. 🙂 ). I still work out in the gym 3-4 days a week and spend time each week working on stretching and flexibility. Are there specific muscle group workouts that provide the most benefit for swing speed? I haven't tried the all out swing approach, but that may be something to try. I usually add a couple of faster swings during any range sessions, but like Dewdman42 says, I don't want to break anything. I'm playing pretty good golf right now and don't want to hurt that overall.

As for distances, I still can roll out drives to 270-275, when its dry,  but unless I really tag one, 250 carry is getting tougher and tougher.

• Like 1

Just now, gripandrip said:

Thanks for the responses (although all that getting old talk is depressing.. 🙂 ). I still work out in the gym 3-4 days a week and spend time each week working on stretching and flexibility. Are there specific muscle group workouts that provide the most benefit for swing speed? I haven't tried the all out swing approach, but that may be something to try. I usually add a couple of faster swings during any range sessions, but like Dewdman42 says, I don't want to break anything. I'm playing pretty good golf right now and don't want to hurt that overall.

As for distances, I still can roll out drives to 270-275, when its dry,  but unless I really tag one, 250 carry is getting tougher and tougher.

Resistance band punches, clean hangs, dead lifts, jump squats with light resistance(knee health dependent), hip thrusts, medicine ball throws are some of the exercises that help with speed.  Anything that targets fast twitch/Type II fibers.  Explosive movements incorporating plyometrics and Olympic lifts.  You don't need to go heavy with these.  

Just now, phizzy30 said:

Resistance band punches, clean hangs, dead lifts, jump squats with light resistance(knee health dependent), hip thrusts, medicine ball throws are some of the exercises that help with speed.  Anything that targets fast twitch/Type II fibers.  Explosive movements incorporating plyometrics and Olympic lifts.  You don't need to go heavy with these.  

Thanks!

7 hours ago, gripandrip said:

There are two ways to look at your last statement.

1.  My swing hasn’t changed, so that’s not where the problem is.  

2.  I am no longer physically able to compensate for the swing faults I’ve had forever and making my swing more efficient with increase my club head speed a great deal.

Of all the people that have come to me for lessons (including myself), #2 has been true all but once.

I maxed out cerca 150 when I was 26.  When I was 41 I was all the way down to 110.  I started studying the swing and was still able to reach 135+ and 200 mph of ball speed at 48 years old and am 56 now and am still have the ability to go well over 120 and some days 130.  At 41 years old I was a fit 195 pounds.  I’m a sloppy but trending better 240 after an all time high of 252.

Getting more fit and speed training with swing issues, will make you swing faster with poor contact and little to no increase in distance.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

12 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Sorry to say, but at your age, you can only do so much.  My golf specific training for my clients and I include strength training, Olympic lifts, plyometrics and mobility/flexibility work.  Speed training at the range also helps where you swing all out for 20-50 swings depending on age and fitness level. 

I agree 100% about the loss of speed and the aging process.  That said, what IS possible is to lose yards at a slower rate than your age cohort.  I’m 71, and when I was 41 I wasn’t long compared to the other guys my age; at 71, I am longer than most guys my age, which is gratifying.

My personal “how to” recipe.

1. At age 67, I rebuilt my swing with a great instructor (see #2 in Monte’s most recent post, which could have been written about me.)  A better swing is usually faster, plus it delivers the club to the ball more squarely.

2. At about the same time, and after decades of very regular but very conventional workouts, I changed the workouts (under guidance) to not only be more “golf specific”, but to target particular deficiencies of mine, especially hip mobility.

3. I am very intentional about equipment, and I’ll get a new driver ANY time the numbers on a monitor assure me that there are gains to be had.  It’s never guesswork or falling for marketing; only data.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

I’m 50 on trt and am gaining strength all the time. Have an 1100 total on the platform missing two attempts. Planning to be around 1250 if not higher in Apr/May next year.

Layne Norton covers some good info here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwDjK4OO_9B/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

It's good that your still maintaining strength at your age.  Most guys decline when they hit 50+.  Are you on self prescribed trt or doctor prescribed?  I have friends in the body building/fitness industry that are on "trt" but they do it themselves at 400-500 mgs of test e or cyp weekly.  That of course is not trt.  True trt is 50-100 mgs weekly. 

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

It's good that your still maintaining strength at your age.  Most guys decline when they hit 50+.  Are you on self prescribed trt or doctor prescribed?  I have friends in the body building/fitness industry that are on "trt" but they do it themselves at 400-500 mgs of test e or cyp weekly.  That of course is not trt.  True trt is 50-100 mgs weekly. 

Saw an interesting video from jeff nippard recently about the effectivness of test. Amazing how big of a difference 300mg per week did in the studies he mentioned, so not surprised medical trt is that low.

Then you have bodybuilders going as high as 5000mg+ per week...

Just now, Trippels said:

Saw an interesting video from jeff nippard recently about the effectivness of test. Amazing how big of a difference 300mg per week did in the studies he mentioned, so not surprised medical trt is that low.

Then you have bodybuilders going as high as 5000mg+ per week...

The more hormones you use, performance goes up incrementally but there's a fine line where it starts to hurt more than help.  Also, you must also weigh in side effects.  Let's just say I when I was doing bodybuilding shows in the past, I would stack 3 different compounds plus an oral along with peptides and hgh.  Had to also add anti-estrogens and progesterone blockers.  Added insulin during the offseason.  Not gonna mention doses though, lol.  The guys that were doing 5000+ mgs in the past like Dallas McCarver and Boston Lloyd are dead now because they overdid it which lead to heart attack and stroke.  I'm friends with a 13x Mr. Olympia competitor and he never used close to 5000 mgs because the guy was smart enough to know that mega dosing would eventually kill him.  I trained with him 3 months outta the year in the past getting ready for my shows so we literally, ate, trained and lived together when I would go down to Fort Worth/Dallas area.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Doctor prescribed and well under 400mg a week

Just now, GoGoErky said:

Doctor prescribed and well under 400mg a week

Good to hear.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:15 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

There are two ways to look at your last statement.

1.  My swing hasn’t changed, so that’s not where the problem is.  

2.  I am no longer physically able to compensate for the swing faults I’ve had forever and making my swing more efficient with increase my club head speed a great deal.

Of all the people that have come to me for lessons (including myself), #2 has been true all but once.

I maxed out cerca 150 when I was 26.  When I was 41 I was all the way down to 110.  I started studying the swing and was still able to reach 135+ and 200 mph of ball speed at 48 years old and am 56 now and am still have the ability to go well over 120 and some days 130.  At 41 years old I was a fit 195 pounds.  I’m a sloppy but trending better 240 after an all time high of 252.

Getting more fit and speed training with swing issues, will make you swing faster with poor contact and little to no increase in distance.  

Well said Monte. I made a lot changes to my swing as I got older getting longer all through my 50’s. But now the question I have for you…. When are you coming to SC for a clinic?

42 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

Well said Monte. I made a lot changes to my swing as I got older getting longer all through my 50’s. But now the question I have for you…. When are you coming to SC for a clinic?

As soon as 10 people there want to listen to me 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@gripandrip here is the recipe that I have used, with success.  I went from @93 to @105 on course speed with my driver, estimating it based on carry distance.  I can get 110-115 hitting balls into the net, just trying to swing fast.  I am 60 and was in pretty good shape when I started on this path.  I do everything below at home, except playing on the course.

1.  Set a goal.  For me, have the power to play my home course (on occasion) from the tips (6883 yards).

2. Dedicate time.  I work out in the mornings.  I hate it working out early, but it is the only slot I have.  I run (6-12 miles per week), I do kettlebells the big 3: 2 arm long cycle, 2 arm jerks, and single arm snatch.  Each lift is done for 10 minutes, and after the main lift I work on KB drills for a total of 30-45 minutes.  Never run and KB on the same day, unless I need to cut weight to get a suit to fit!

3.  As @MonteScheinblum suggests, work on swing form.  Afternoons, on the home range or walking 9.

4.  2 maybe 2+ times per week work on swinging fast protocols.  Just fit it in, really doesn't take that much time.  I bought a cheap amazon club with 3 weights and a cheap swing speed monitor to measure speed.  

5.  I "loosely" track training results in my memory, I know...some peeps write every down.

6.  Play with better players.  "You are who you hang out with!"

7.  Choose clubs that help you.

I really need to add in some more stretching.  I do not use steroids (not against it), they certainly can add to results.  I drink too much coffee, and not enough beer.  In my opinion, items 3 and 4 added the most speed.

Hope you find a recipe that works for you!