Low handicaps playing with high handicaps

fjroney

9 hours ago, Denny100 said:

I think at least part of the solution to all of these issues is, unless the format specifies it, just ban the fourball.

I know its never going to happen because the space on the course has to be utilised, but most of the problems seem to stem from the size of group, and the inevitability within the group that people will be different pace wise, and mess up as well.

Chances are in a group of 4, someone, whether good bad or whatever will mess up every hole between them in some way.

Ban four balls? Lol. I played in a 10-ball last night and it worked and we played quickly. The number of players isn’t the issue and limiting them isn’t the solution. 

Recently, much more of my play is with mid-high cap friends than low to + guys.  Haven't played in a regional event in years.  It's like anything else in life, I don't let others impact my game, life, or decisions. 

If someone asks me a question, I respond; otherwise, I don't let their lack of skill battles distract my focus.  If someone affects my space, I typically let it go, until it often happens, then I say something.  If we don't let their actions go, it's our fault their activities ruin what otherwise would be a good day.

The main reason I took up golf was it allows me to be as intense as I like, yet play with others that are far more casual at the game.  We don't live and play in this world, alone.  Playing the game of golf is social; it means enjoying and experiencing human differences. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I'm not fast on the greens but I'm certainly not slow either.  The putting green can save me a lot of strokes on a good day, so I could care less if someone is having a hissy fit about me taking my time over a crucial putt to keep the momentum going for myself and the team overall.  

That someone certainly doesn't mind the 30-40 dollars he puts in his wallet for winning a side during the blitz by a stroke.

1 hour ago, klebs01 said:

Ban four balls? Lol. I played in a 10-ball last night and it worked and we played quickly. The number of players isn’t the issue and limiting them isn’t the solution. 

Playing in a ten ball is a great way to ensure youd be banned from that course forever here.

Why would you be in a ten ball?

Edited by Denny100
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Recently, much more of my play is with mid-high cap friends than low to + guys.  Haven't played in a regional event in years.  It's like anything else in life, I don't let others impact my game, life, or decisions. 

If someone asks me a question, I respond; otherwise, I don't let their lack of skill battles distract my focus.  If someone affects my space, I typically let it go, until it often happens, then I say something.  If we don't let their actions go, it's our fault their activities ruin what otherwise would be a good day.

The main reason I took up golf was it allows me to be as intense as I like, yet play with others that are far more casual at the game.  We don't live and play in this world, alone.  Playing the game of golf is social; it means enjoying and experiencing human differences. 

I grew up at a muni, played a lot of true goat tracks, and have played more exclusive private clubs than very few will ever be fortunate enough to play. To me a loop, with any "handicap" of player is about the experience. I've met more people, if mostly only for a day, out on the fairways and greens of this wonderful game. I'll tee it up with anybody, anywhere, anytime. You'll never get me back in California, but I'd teed it up with you Pepperturbo, you can bet your --- on that.

• Thanks 1

Being a mid-high handicapper myself, I typically talk to the guys I’m paired up with that round on the first tee. Usually ask the basics name, what tee they want to play off and if they play ready golf. 

I like to also mark my ball and try to take my time on the green, that’s where my game struggles and I have been working on it a lot this season. If they want to go, have at it, but I’m going to take my time and play my game the way I want.

Usually, they understand, but I do get some people making sighs or just walking off after they 4 putted because I take a little longer than them to putt. It is what it is, I’m trying to make more putts and less 3 putts. They can have fun shooting their 100+ while I’m trying to keep up under 86ish

When I sucked a lot I hated playing with better players. I knew I was a mess to see. Most were super cool though. The retired soldier that kinda got me started had a 2x bogey rule. So I had a 2x bogey rule.  

Most of the novice players I get paired with know they aren’t pro’s and seem to have reasonable expectations.

the pair I played w/ the day before yesterday was awful. By the second fairway they were just dropping a ball near wherever I landed. I think they lost 12 balls by the second fairway. 

The first green was chaotic, the second was much better. By the 3rd tee they were asking for some tips. 

They bought me 2 beers, it was a fun 9 holes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Denny100 said:

Playing in a ten ball is a great way to ensure youd be banned from that course forever here.

Why would you be in a ten ball?

Because it’s fun. There is a standing game on Thursday afternoons that usually ends up being a 10 to 12 ball. We can do that at a real private club. I understand how it wouldn’t be acceptable at the public course you have an annual pass at. 

7 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

To my point, the two posts responding directly to mine so far relate to improving pace of play. Valid? Maybe, but it goes to demonstrate where the community is placing its priorities. That's fine, but then expect new golfers and casual golfers to focus more on moving fast than worrying if the scratch golfer they got paired with is experiencing his best mental space to maintain his handicap. 

Well id say those two go hand in hand. To my examples if the person is running all around the course trying to find his ball, run grab a club, has the wrong club and runs back its more distracting than anything. 

But also to add, if he is playing with hacks,public course, ect they have to understand its possible to get grouped with that.

Edited by ajkatt

I’m tempted to say you should take MelloYello’s advice and stay home, and everybody would be better off.  But I’m trying to be more polite and respectful of the strange ideas other people have about themselves and the game of golf and how it should be played.

So, the best life advice I ever heard came from a golf announcer, don’t remember who:

“Sweep your own porch.”

I will add that it doesn’t matter if the leaves blew in from your neighbor’s trees.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, mshills said:

This. Just mark your ball, clean it, and read your putt while the other players are playing. OP should be doing that anyhow, so I reckon I don’t understand the issue here. 

OP, did you also say you know better than to share a cart with a higher handicap player? Do you walk, or do you insist on having your own cart?

Agree.  When I'm walking, I never feel that I don't have enough time to go through my routine, regardless of if I'm playing with low or high handicappers.  Very rarely am I not able to read the green from multiple angles while other players are still playing their shots but I also very much play ready golf.  I'm usually the first one to the green, even if it means I have to take the long route by walking along the tree line to stay out of the way while the others are still hitting their 3rd or 4th shot into the green.  It's not uncommon for me to be marking my ball on the green while at least one person is still 80+ yards away and pulling their wedge out of their bag.  I do make sure that I make eye contact with those still getting ready to play their shots so they understand that they can start their routine and I will be out of their way by the time they hit their ball.  This gives me more than enough time to read greens or do whatever I need to do.

Again, I make it a point to stay out of everyone's way even though I'm always walking up as far ahead as I can so I'm not seen as someone oblivious to what's going on and making them wait for me to get out of their way before they can play their shot.

47 minutes ago, LBB said:

Agree.  When I'm walking, I never feel that I don't have enough time to go through my routine, regardless of if I'm playing with low or high handicappers.  Very rarely am I not able to read the green from multiple angles while other players are still playing their shots but I also very much play ready golf.  I'm usually the first one to the green, even if it means I have to take the long route by walking along the tree line to stay out of the way while the others are still hitting their 3rd or 4th shot into the green.  It's not uncommon for me to be marking my ball on the green while at least one person is still 80+ yards away and pulling their wedge out of their bag.  I do make sure that I make eye contact with those still getting ready to play their shots so they understand that they can start their routine and I will be out of their way by the time they hit their ball.  This gives me more than enough time to read greens or do whatever I need to do.

Again, I make it a point to stay out of everyone's way even though I'm always walking up as far ahead as I can so I'm not seen as someone oblivious to what's going on and making them wait for me to get out of their way before they can play their shot.

Are you walking while they’re hitting their shots? I have to say this doesn’t sound like good etiquette but maybe I’m missing something. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9 degrees | Fujikura Ventus Black 7X Velicore 

PXG Gen 2 3 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Black 8X Velicore

Titleist U500 3 iron | Graphite Design DI 95X

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

Vokey Blackout 52 degree | True Temper X100

Vokey 56 degree | True Temper S400

Vokey 60 degree | True Temper S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

OP has his own experiences, but seems to over generalize both the alleged “traits” of whatever high handicap means and elevate the “harmony” of what it’s like when he gets to play with folks presumably just like him only because they share a handicap index. 

I’ll play with almost anyone and have played with folks of all levels. Of the few over decades I didn’t enjoy, just as many plus/scratch as any other level - really good golfers don’t have magically good personalities or have the market cornered on etiquette, on course behavior and so forth. 

Sometimes it’s the other person, sometimes we all need to look in the mirror. 

Lol why did you put traits in quotations?

Anyways I find your feedback “over generalized” and inaccurate to the point of being misleading. 

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

44 minutes ago, fjroney said:

Are you walking while they’re hitting their shots? I have to say this doesn’t sound like good etiquette but maybe I’m missing something. 

Yes, but clearly in situations where I’m not in the way or in their line of sight that would be distracting to others.  Of course it’s situation dependent.  But if the OP is talking about high cap golfers who are taking a lot of shots.  There is more than enough opportunity to walk around in between those 6-9 shots and still not be in the way or distracting.  You just might have to be willing to walk faster, farther, and with more purpose.

the OP was talking about being boxed in.  I don’t think I could ever stand in the same spot while 6-9 shots are going on.  In between at least a few of the shots I’m going to be walking around if nothing else just to not stand in the same place for so long.

I don't get this because the best player in group has all the time around the green to play at their pace and play to their own flow. If they are ''held up'', it means they can contemplate the shot a bit more. So what. Also, it doesn't help to make high index guy feel self-conscious or on the spot. Better to help them chill, relax and have fun. Show deference when they go. It works the flow better. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, klebs01 said:

Because it’s fun. There is a standing game on Thursday afternoons that usually ends up being a 10 to 12 ball. We can do that at a real private club. I understand how it wouldn’t be acceptable at the public course you have an annual pass at. 

I dont have an annual pass at a public course. Im a private club member. And it wouldnt be allowed. And for good reason too. Breaks the club rules in every club ive ever seen, including the most elite of the elite.

Ive worked this forum out. Its very simple. Its like politics. Its on display in the pace of play type threads.

There are a small group of you (not representing the majority thankfully) who like to dog whistle at each other. Theres an extremely obvious dog whistle in your post above.

Edited by Denny100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

6 hours ago, fjroney said:

Lol why did you put traits in quotations?

Anyways I find your feedback “over generalized” and inaccurate to the point of being misleading. 

LOL, that doesn’t even make sense but sending out positive vibes to any so-called high handicap that gets paired with you this weekend. 

6 hours ago, grm24 said:

Pretty much like your original post that began this thread. 

Which part?

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL, that doesn’t even make sense but sending out positive vibes to any so-called high handicap that gets paired with you this weekend. 

You didn’t answer the question, and it does make sense. You’re putting words in my mouth. It’s not constructive to the thread and I certainly don’t appreciate it. I’ve seen you do this before to others, maybe find better things to occupy your time than trolling people with tens of thousands of posts to a golf forum… 

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

3 minutes ago, fjroney said:

You didn’t answer the question, and it does make sense. You’re putting words in my mouth. It’s not constructive to the thread and I certainly don’t appreciate it. I’ve seen you do this before to others, maybe find better things to occupy your time than trolling people with tens of thousands of posts to a golf forum… 

Holy deflection Batman …. you don’t enjoy playing with high handicaps and pigeon hole them, good for you. I indicated that my experience across all ranges of handicaps is mostly positive and handicap level is not a predictor of whether a round of golf with someone is enjoyable. 

I guess your overreaction and trying to make this personal is reflective of the mystical “harmony” of the scratch/low handicap community? People are people whatever their GHIN number. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fjroney said:

I sure do. I walk when others are playing, as long as I’m not close enough to them that it’s rude.

Impossible to walk/push and play ready golf without walking when someone else is playing, and it’s never distracting and definitely not poor etiquette. 

Same way there is absolutely nothing wrong with you marking your ball, cleaning it, and starting to assess your putt while someone else is playing a chip, pitch, bunker shot, or whatever. 

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Holy deflection Batman …. you don’t enjoy playing with high handicaps and pigeon hole them, good for you. I indicated that my experience across all ranges of handicaps is mostly positive and handicap level is not a predictor of whether a round of golf with someone is enjoyable. 

I guess your overreaction and trying to make this personal is reflective of the mystical “harmony” of the scratch/low handicap community? People are people whatever their GHIN number. 

Never said I don’t enjoy playing with high handicaps. And the whole premise of the question is how to find resolution that’s respectful to them. Again, you’re creating conflict that doesn’t exist, which is all you do. 

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

4 minutes ago, mshills said:

I sure do. I walk when others are playing, as long as I’m not close enough to them that it’s rude.

Impossible to walk/push and play ready golf without walking when someone else is playing, and it’s never distracting and definitely not poor etiquette. 

Same way there is absolutely nothing wrong with you marking your ball, cleaning it, and starting to assess your putt while someone else is playing a chip, pitch, bunker shot, or whatever. 

That’s interesting. Do you walk ahead when playing with low handicap players or just high handicaps that are taking more shots? It would definitely give me more time to assess my putts but I think my playing partners would be pretty frustrated. 

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

The better the player, the more likely they’re the last to putt because of being closer to the hole.

No matter what you do, if you’re the last to putt, everyone thinks you’re the one holding up the entire golf course behind you.

Two players can take an eternity to plumb bob, do Aimpoint wrong, pace off that 21 footer for double bogey, three putt from there, but the last guy to putt is the culprit. 🙂

(I don’t think it’s rude to wait for everyone to finish on the green once you’re out of their sight. It’s not like all the patrons surrounding the green are going to rush to the next tee box while someone putts. Start walking or heading to the cart.)

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

7 minutes ago, fjroney said:

That’s interesting. Do you walk ahead when playing with low handicap players or just high handicaps that are taking more shots? It would definitely give me more time to assess my putts but I think my playing partners would be pretty frustrated. 

LOL man, it’s not dependent on handicap index! If I can keep walking so I’m ready to play my next shot sooner, I’m getting a move on. That is a big part of playing efficiently. I’m not going to step in front of someone, and all my years of caddying mean I can usually keep it moving without anyone seeing or hearing me. For example, I’m not going to be on the green when someone is addressing a full 9i in, that would be silly, and I can’t walk that fast anyhow. 

I seriously doubt any playing partner would be offended and if you have some situational awareness they won’t even notice. Hell, the way I play golf attracts a whole lot more attention than where I’m walking. 

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

3 minutes ago, fjroney said:

I carry, play with a guy who carts hits 5 shots to any par 4 or 5 all day. He "scores" 100, he hits 130. You bet I walk ahead but you can be opposite side, on boundary, you can hold up while he takes his swing and even help track ball. If you play with decent players and they have carts and you walk, you still need to do it. You don't need to do it if you play with guy monstering 260 with a hybrid & 300 w/ driver and hitting 15 GIR's. His flow is way better. It's all about flow, your's, theirs's and pace of play in front & behind.

32 minutes ago, fjroney said:

I agree with the two comments above. As a high handicapper I’m happy to try and accommodate play that suits your game, but there’s a right way to do it. Most of the time a simple conversation at the stand of the round letting me know you like to walk ahead is more than enough.

• Like 1