Low handicaps playing with high handicaps

fjroney

2 hours ago, wagolfer7 said:

Can't throw this down and leave it at that.  I can't imagine someone doing something that would cost you a win.  What can someone do in this situation to cost you a win?  

Nah. I’m just not going to bite. I don’t want to.  I didn’t say cost me a win. I said cost me a shot at winning.  As in took me out. Was tied for the lead with one guy and 1 ahead of another ….Huge difference in context.  So I want to be clear.  The guy who won played the best. But at that moment I was even with him after starting the day 2 back. 

Lol.  Edited.  Erased it.   I just don’t want to. Shouldn’t have mentioned it. Was just a perfect example for this thread.  I’ll recall yesterday on my death bed I’m sure.  Not only for the occurrence but because I handled it like a pro.  I consoled the guy who accosted me. It was an honest mistake.  

Edited by bladehunter

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Nah. I’m just not going to bite. I don’t want to.  I didn’t say cost me a win. I said cost me a shot at winning.  As in took me out. Was tied for the lead with one guy and 1 ahead of another ….Huge difference in context.  So I want to be clear.  The guy who won played the best. But at that moment I was even with him after starting the day 2 back. 

Lol.  Edited.  Erased it.   I just don’t want to. Shouldn’t have mentioned it. Was just a perfect example for this thread.  I’ll recall yesterday on my death bed I’m sure.  Not only for the occurrence but because I handled it like a pro.  I consoled the guy who accosted me. It was an honest mistake.  

It's odd when it happens in competition.  My worst experience was when a tourney decided to do final pairings by net score among all divisions, even though there was gross competition in the first division.  Longest and most frustrating round I've ever experienced in competition.  Comical now when I look back, as it's become a really funny story to tell.  It is what it is.  Go back and forth whether I could of done better mentally in that situation or if it was just unnecessary distractions for the circumstances.  Probably little bit of both. 

I play with all levels in non-competition.  And I have no issue with it.  It's a bit of chaos, but I embrace it.  In competition though, it can be an unnecessary challenge thrown in there.  Especially on money day.  

Sorry for the unfortunate events in your competition.  Sounds like you handled it the right way.              

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:12 PM, bladehunter said:

This.  Zone out. Don’t watch them putt or chip closely.  You have to stay aware. But without direct eye contact. And I usually back off the green farther than I would another plus/scratch handicap guy. Just give them space.   .  And if they do hit a good shot , praise them loudly and positively.  I find that takes pressure off them and let’s them settle in if they think you’re rooting for them. nothing makes it worse than  making them think that you’re annoyed or that they’re holding you up.  

totally agree - this is my current playbook 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9 degrees | Fujikura Ventus Black 7X Velicore 

PXG Gen 2 3 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Black 8X Velicore

Titleist U500 3 iron | Graphite Design DI 95X

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

Vokey Blackout 52 degree | True Temper X100

Vokey 56 degree | True Temper S400

Vokey 60 degree | True Temper S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 

On 9/10/2023 at 7:15 AM, getitdaily said:

I play with anyone since there are times I get out on my own and pair with a group.

Honestly, I think you're looking for blame here. I have never had the same experience as you. I've always been able to mark my ball and read putts while others play their myriad of shots. 

You're over exaggerating and just not assertive enough.

i'm probably not assertive enough - i think you're right 

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

20 hours ago, larrybud said:

Not really. The highly skilled players will be hitting more greens, resulting, generally speaking, in longer putts. Gotta wait for the guys who hit 3 GIRS to chip on. Or sometimes, chip over....

exactly... a typical scenario would be that i'm ~30 feet out putting for birdie while the HHs are outside of me to hit their chips, and then inside of me to hit their putts 

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

16 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Rory Sabatini routinely walks ahead of his playing partners to the green , and sometimes even putts out before others have reached the green.

Rory Sabbatini is also one of the least liked players on tour lol

• Haha 1

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

I play the vast majority of my rounds at munis with non-stellar players. I do sympathize with what you’re saying, but I also think you might be taking etiquette a little too seriously or incorrectly. 

When you are playing a casual round with poor players, it’s perfectly fine to walk up near the green, stand off the the side, watch the other player blade a chip, quickly move to mark your ball and then get back out of the way. You have to be careful to not disrupt, but if you position yourself away from where they are playing, it’s not a big deal. The only risk is getting hit, but that’s low if you’re paying attention and you’re around the green. Full swings are another story so be careful. 

You can then clean your ball, think about your shot, etc. Yes, you’ll still wait and likely have a bit of chaos around you, but that’s just life at a muni. 

If it’s not a casual round, it could be a different story. That said, if you watch the pros, they aren’t afraid of getting quite far ahead of their partners as long as it’s not an issue for the player who is hitting. 

Might want to think about being a bit more willing to walk ahead, step in, etc and I think you’ll find everything is ok. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

If they...are pleasant to be around...

That's pretty much it right there. 

Some are. Some aren't. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

10 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

Cant say its ever really been on my radar. 

I got down to +1.7 this year and my main golf buddies when its not a competition are 13 and 15 handicaps. 

I just tune it all out. Outside of blowing an airhorn in my backswing I notice none of it. I dont have to turn away from some "high handicapper" because his chipping will infect me or his cadence will throw me off or some crazy crap hahaha.

Whatever that is...Is your own baggage. 

If they keep up the pace and are pleasant to be around I dont care if they shoot 133 in a casual round. 

This thread is hilarious. 

Agree with this. The high handicappers I'm talking about are not 13 or 15s - i never have an issue at that level. I'm talking 30+ handicaps. I played in a USGA event this summer and then went back to my muni golf and realized how much more coordination it takes to navigate round with a mix of high and low handicap players. It's not a knock on anyone, just an observation.

TM 770 4 iron | DG X100

TM P7MC 5i-PW | DG X100

4 hours ago, fjroney said:

Agree with this. The high handicappers I'm talking about are not 13 or 15s - i never have an issue at that level. I'm talking 30+ handicaps. I played in a USGA event this summer and then went back to my muni golf and realized how much more coordination it takes to navigate round with a mix of high and low handicap players. It's not a knock on anyone, just an observation.

I guess in the end it all comes back to one simple saying someone way smarter than myself said once at work. It hit me like a bolt of lightning at the time. I was late for work, traffic was bad I storm into work all angry before I've even turned my computer on: Old veteran says "buddy you make your own weather" and off he went to do his thing hahaha.

I played Sunday with my buddies and the scores were 104, 97, 84 and 70 (me 🙂 ) they all keep pace, they have fun and enjoy themselves. I dont care at all when they hit bad shots because they dont hit my ball lol.

I find it helps me as I have more time to line up my putts while they all hit it multiple times, I have more time to think about my approaches and concentrate on my own ability while they search for their ball or chop some shot out of a tree. I just dont care. 

Its the same thing with music on the course discussions or hoodies and joggers at the country club discussions here. None of it bothers me at all and it makes me laugh seeing some stuffy guy all hot and bothered about some dude shooting 111 with a pair of joggers on hahaha.

Edited by Mcgeeno
  • Like 1

To the OP, it sounds like maybe you're attempting to make up for the extra time the other players spend by short-changing your own process. You don't owe anyone that.

They use their time looking for balls, chipping over the green, etc. You can use yours on the greens.

You have to let go of feeling responsible for the entire foursome. You do you and don't worry about the other players unless they're abusing the course or putting other players in danger. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MelloYello said:

That's pretty much it right there. 

Some are. Some aren't. 

Yep. I’d agree here. But I’d also say that’s a little chicken or the egg.  If they’re pleasant , then by definition you won’t notice them as off or odd at any time. And Also by definition , a guy who’s constantly walking into lines , causing back offs and stalling play , can’t be pleasant to play with.  Right ?  So there’s some of the same thing being said here. Just from different perspectives.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, me05501 said:

To the OP, it sounds like maybe you're attempting to make up for the extra time the other players spend by short-changing your own process. You don't owe anyone that.

They use their time looking for balls, chipping over the green, etc. You can use yours on the greens.

You have to let go of feeling responsible for the entire foursome. You do you and don't worry about the other players unless they're abusing the course or putting other players in danger. 

1000 times this ^^

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 9/10/2023 at 5:15 AM, getitdaily said:

Honestly, I think you're looking for blame here. I have never had the same experience as you. I've always been able to mark my ball and read putts while others play their myriad of shots. 

... It happens all the time here but it is the nature of the beast. People create problems were none exist. I very rarely start a sentence with "I was annoyed by ..." because that would be on me. "I played with a high index player using jacked lofted MB's to improve his ball striking and pretty sure I could hear music coming from his cart but it was so low I was distracted trying to hear whether or not it WAS music and I missed my putt. Anyone else have this happen?"  I have been playing golf for 45 years, get paired up with many strangers here in Phoenix in winter and rarely run across any problem unless the guy is a selfish Word not allowedhat, which is pretty rare. In that case handicap usually isn't a factor. 

... The thing that makes golf so unique is a +1 can play with a 20 index and just have a great day. Can't do that in almost any other sport. Basketball and tennis come to mind where you need to be at a similar level. And just like life, everyone is different so social golf is almost always adjusting to what you have on any given day. I enjoy anyones company that enjoys golf and life in general. Index doesn't matter. If I have a 15 footer for birdie and the high index loses track of where I am and hits his 2nd putt from 6 feet and then his 3rd, I just wait til he is done. Sometimes they say "sorry I didn't know where you were" and I reply "No problem at all and I thought you were gonna make the 6 footer" to put them at ease. Sometimes they are in their own high index world and don't even realize they putted in front of me and out of turn. But they were gonna have to make those same putts anyway so what difference does it make in a casual round? 

... My normal pards are an 18, a 12 and a 9 and I am a +1. We just play our own games and enjoy each others company. I just can't think of any scenarios where a high index players actions bothered me if they were keeping or trying to keep pace. I have re-read the initial post and still don't really understand the issue. Mark your ball just like any other time when the person chipping isn't on your line. Walk to your ball and if you are in their line of sight, just stop and stand still while the play it then continue to your ball. Look at your putt while others are doing the same or hitting their putts if they further from the hole and then you are ready to go when it's your turn. "Rushing" or "taking my time" isn't something I ever do because it isn't rocket science. It only takes a few seconds to see the shot, pull the right club and hit the ball or see the line/spreed and stroke your putt. Other than some kind of Self Talk they have heard from a sports psychologist there is no need to take your time or rush, just play the shot. And if anyone has watched Nelly Korda, they know the camera has to be ready because she will hit her shot or putt within a few seconds of the previous player. 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

16 hours ago, me05501 said:

16 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. I’d agree here. But I’d also say that’s a little chicken or the egg.  If they’re pleasant , then by definition you won’t notice them as off or odd at any time. And Also by definition , a guy who’s constantly walking into lines , causing back offs and stalling play , can’t be pleasant to play with.  Right ?  So there’s some of the same thing being said here. Just from different perspectives.  

Yeah, my issue would be more with the guy who never shuts up and constantly takes an active approach to distracting you by not respecting the game of golf. 

I have no issue with someone who's just a novice, a high index, takes a lot of shots or whatever. I played in an after-work 9-hole league last year and I was always paired with/against high handicappers. It didn't stop me from shooting my scores at all. 

To me, that's not the issue. My buddy on the other hand, he'll talk your ear off and needs to be babysat with constant verbal engagement. That's tiring. I've gotten to the point of flat out ignoring at times. It is what it is. I can't find an answer to that. He just doesn't jive with any of the golfers I play with. Maybe he's just trying too hard to be the center of attention? Either way, it's annoying and distracting. He doesn't know how to let others get into their own rhythm which is a HUGE part of playing with good players. Your game has to support others. 

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

2 hours ago, MelloYello said:

To me, that's not the issue. My buddy on the other hand, he'll talk your ear off and needs to be babysat with constant verbal engagement. That's tiring. I've gotten to the point of flat out ignoring at times. It is what it is. I can't find an answer to that. He just doesn't jive with any of the golfers I play with. Maybe he's just trying too hard to be the center of attention? Either way, it's annoying and distracting. He doesn't know how to let others get into their own rhythm which is a HUGE part of playing with good players. Your game has to support others. 

Agree. Guys who can't pick up and carry on the rhythm of movement and conversation within a foursome can be hard to handle.

I've also played with guys who put earbuds in on the first tee and played the whole round in their own little world.

Not sure which is worse. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

I've also played with guys who put earbuds in on the first tee and played the whole round in their own little world.

... I have only had that happen twice. After the first experience I told the 2nd to go ahead of us and play by himself, since that was what he was doing anyway. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... I have only had that happen twice. After the first experience I told the 2nd to go ahead of us and play by himself, since that was what he was doing anyway. 

When it happened to me it was super weird because it was a business round on a really exclusive course, and I was the supposed "client" to my "host" who spent the whole round listening to music on AirPods. Hey man, as long as you can still expense it...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MelloYello said:

My buddy on the other hand, he'll talk your ear off

I golf with a friend like that quite often.  Never shuts up.  I have to talk over him at times to try to get something across and then sometimes he still won't hear and will get mad at me for not telling him whatever it was.  LOL a really good guy though so it is just part of the deal.  I do notice that his constant talking is a lot more annoying when I am not playing well.

If you’re scratch or single digit you’re likely to tee off most of the times with higher handicaps than you. Part of being solid at club level is just to get adapted to different partners with different levels of golf. 

Pace of play is more to do with experience than with skill level. I often play with golfers who have been around for over twenty or thirty years and regardless of their handicap they play fast. 

It’d also be great to help less experienced players with etiquette or pace of play without being patronizing whenever the occasion arises. We have all been hackers at first. 

• Like 1