2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone switch to LAB putters?

Razor4888

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  I'm a dozen rounds deep now with the Link.

I found myself leaving the face slightly open on four to eight foot putts, causing the ball to slice.  My line is still pure, but the ball is curving and few inches from the hole.  I wonder if that's just the drawback with blade type putters?  Intense focus has fixed this, but not sure I want to grind this hard over every four foot putt the rest of my life.  I figured this thing would be auto from that distance.  

My nickname has switched from Jimmy Three Putt to the Lip Out King.  

I'm putting everything in the hole, but I get 6-8 lip outs a round.  At first it was awesome because I never had so many putts threaten the hole, but now It's getting frustrating.  

Contemplating a change to a center shafted mallet.  

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

16 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

I found myself leaving the face slightly open on four to eight foot putts, causing the ball to slice.  My line is still pure, but the ball is curving and few inches from the hole.  I wonder if that's just the drawback with blade type putters?  Intense focus has fixed this, but not sure I want to grind this hard over every four foot putt the rest of my life.  I figured this thing would be auto from that distance.  

I'm putting everything in the hole, but I get 6-8 lip outs a round.  At first it was awesome because I never had so many putts threaten the hole, but now It's getting frustrating.  

Leaving the face open and slicing the putts isn't going to be caused from blade or mallet, more from setup or mechanics. I know from my experience that not having a sightline on my putter helps me line up the putt more square because I focus on the putter being square to where I am aiming and not focusing on keeping the line on the putter and the ball line up. 

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

1 hour ago, St Jimmy said:

It is probably you trying to control the putter instead of letting the LAB do its thing.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Does LAB have any guidance on who should pick which alignment markings based on tendencies? I looked all over their site and didn't see anything but I may have missed it. Not too keen on dropping 600-1000 on a putter to find I can't line it up straight. 

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

2 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

No offset, center shafted putters will do that to you if you are coming from a plumber's neck style, as the plumber's neck style actually make the ball go left.   Also, if you tended to open and close the face with your stroke, since the face is now forward from where you were used to playing it, and in effect has less time to rotate closed when it gets to the ball.

A LAB putter should be awesome if you can get your stoke moving on plane with no rotation. 

Watch this video here:

• Like 2

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

7 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Blade vs mallet does matter despite what others have said. 

the mallet LABs have much greater MOI and resistance to rotation. 

the link (I have one) is nowhere near the same stroke feel as the DF3 for example. Far more possibility for user error. 

15 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

Does LAB have any guidance on who should pick which alignment markings based on tendencies? I looked all over their site and didn't see anything but I may have missed it. Not too keen on dropping 600-1000 on a putter to find I can't line it up straight. 

Haven't seen any guidance. I'd get to a store that carries LAB and bring a laser of some type to see if you are aiming correctly with that setup. SeeMore also has an inexpensive triangle with a string that does the same thing well.

As a veteran of original Edel custom putters, the more lines you have, the more it aims you to the left. So if you tend to aim right, you will probably need some lines. But that also depends on the shape of the putter, offset, etc.

Over the years, I've found that some type of mallet works well for me with a simple line setup - I used a LAB "C" alignment when I bought the original DF and it worked well ... for me. In fact, they did not have a "C" alignment back in 2017 just the line from heel to toe, so I had LAB custom make the shorter heel-toe line, and apparently I was the first - so blame me for the "C" alignment you see in stores. lol.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 9/8/2023 at 8:26 PM, OspreyCI said:

Look in the Putter thread. Lots of love for LAB putters. I’ll never go back to any other manufacturer…… NEVER!

If I had a dollar for every time I said this I would be a rich, rich man. 😁

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

20 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I haven’t seen anything on it. What has helped me is having high contrast color and the simple T alignment, or something with the solid white line on the front face of the putter to make sure I’m square. 

Five rounds in with a Mezz, after 26 years with a TeI3, and I cannot believe how much better the LAB gets the ball started on line. I love this putter.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White 
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White 
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Bridgestone Tour BX

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to echo what other have already said. I've been using a Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5 for over 15 years. When I would putt with it the mechanics for my stroke had to be perfect for me to hit my line. Also the mechanics of how I would have to hit my putter were uncomfortable but for whatever reason I loved my putter. If I did everything just right, I would hit my line and all was well. However a good 30% of time I would screw something up and I would know my putt was not going in at impact.

About a year ago I was at the PGASS which had just opened up in my area and they had LAB putters. I had seen YouTube videos on the LAB putters explaining the technology etc but I was always tuned off by the price. After putting in the store with the DF 2.1 for about an hour my mind was blown, I was hitting everything. The biggest difference between the DF 2.1 and any other putter that I've used is that it's so easy to get your ball on your line. I don't worry about the mechanics of my putt any more, it's just back and forward. It's been a game changer for me. 

• Like 2

I picked one up off of the outlet store several weeks ago, a 39 inch CB Mezz Max 16, with the same basic specs as a couple of other putters I've been using over the past six months as I experimented with these longer putters.  I had some good days with my others, but I was figuring them out somewhat, and I thought the LAB might be the ticket.  

I had picked several LABs up in the store before, the DF just seemed so strange, the Mezz models are better to my eye, the Link looked good IMO.   

Anyway, I have struggled much more with my LAB than I expected.  One, the configuration I got, standard weight, seems very heavy, and my speed control has been poor.  And for some reason, I have a tendency to close the face quite often, I don't know why, It could be the way the shaft inserts in the back, the angular lines, I'm not playing it in the right spot in my stance, I don't know. So far I am disappointed, and I have put it on the bench.  I picked up a Spider Tour CB in the store last week after a couple of bad days on the greens, and the thing just felt really good, I bought it on the spot.  Put it in play this past weekend and putted pretty good.

I will keep my LAB for now, I'll keep working with it, but the experiment might be over.....

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I was just talking to some friends about trying one and low and behold they had a lab link 1 in preowned! Coming from a long long time NP style user.. wow I may love it! It was a little on the used side.. but not terrible.. $420 price which has me unsure if it’s worth the price in condition but seems like it may be a decent deal based on eBay prices. Would need to extend a little but now debating if I should just get fit.

vERY impressed though.. 

I never really gave these LABs an honest look, but they’re pretty intriguing after reading through this thread and doing some research. 
I’m curious, though, I looked at a video and read PIG review stating a grip change may be needed due to a habit of manipulating the face with your thumbs. Is that what others are finding as well? I started looking as the 5-10ft range has been my killing me since of end of last season into this season. I’m hesitant as people here state that’s the area they struggled most with these putters. 

On 3/15/2024 at 10:37 PM, Ty_Webb said:

There isn't, but @labgolf agreed with the general ideas of Edel putter alignment ideas (also mentioned here) somewhere in the 100+ pages of the OG - LAB - Thread on here.

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

7 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

I never really gave these LABs an honest look, but they’re pretty intriguing after reading through this thread and doing some research. 
I’m curious, though, I looked at a video and read PIG review stating a grip change may be needed due to a habit of manipulating the face with your thumbs. Is that what others are finding as well? I started looking as the 5-10ft range has been my killing me since of end of last season into this season. I’m hesitant as people here state that’s the area they struggled most with these putters. 

I moved to left hand low. I am in season two with my lab and putting is get much better. 
Pre lab 2022: -3.55 SG putting 

First lab year 2023: -2.48

2024: -1.64 to start year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

On 4/15/2024 at 5:15 AM, Rbsiedsc said:

I moved to left hand low. I am in season two with my lab and putting is get much better. 
Pre lab 2022: -3.55 SG putting 

First lab year 2023: -2.48

2024: -1.64 to start year. 

follow up. Had a rough nine today but the lab wasn't the issue, it was my green reading. Lag putting was awesome though. Nearly nailed a 35' and 45' (hit them both to 6"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sleeky_D said:

@Rbsiedsc thanks for the information. For those that did the online fitting but didn’t buy new, did you have trouble finding a used one in your specs?

i used the laboutlet. My fitting was 35' and 70*, my putter i bought is 35" and 69*. Being within a deg or 2 in lie is fine according to LAB as you can adjust to that

I went stock DF3, and then found a used slightly battered 2.1 as a backup. I have no conventional putters anymore. I'm all in.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I just picked one up today since my trusty Spider X has been letting me down more and more. I tried one of the Mezz putters at PGASS today and was hitting perfect end-over-end putts (thanks triple track balls at the store), and way less skipping than my regular putter.

I saw some videos that recommend ball placement being different with LAB putters rather than normal position? I was playing it normal stance and it was rolling really well.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

Ping Anser PLD

I was between a Mezz Max and 2.1 for the broomstick.  At first I went with the Mezz Max and while I did enjoy it, I am frankly not a great putter so off center shots werent as forgiving as I knew I could find in the 2.1.  Sold the Mezz and now have 2.1 broom and its fantastic.  The forgiveness is off the charts if you can get past the looks of it.

16 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

Wasn’t aware of the laboutlet. Pretty cool - thanks for sharing! 

When I bought mine in 2021 (I think), you could also request a "factory second" putter. Fully customized to your specs but either with a blemish or (in my case) it was a DF 2.1T2 and not the current T7 model. Thing was MINT. Saved me around 33% if I remember correctly. Just email them and ask if that still is an option.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1