2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone switch to LAB putters?

Razor4888

Went all in on the Mezz and went back. The LAB putters are not for everyone. I felt very mechanical trying to putt with it. Personally I think Axis1 is the tech that has it figured out. Much easier putter for me to use and my make rate is way higher vs the Mezz. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Went all in on the Mezz and went back. The LAB putters are not for everyone. I felt very mechanical trying to putt with it. Personally I think Axis1 is the tech that has it figured out. Much easier putter for me to use and my make rate is way higher vs the Mezz. 

I did the same  thing...but to my gamer. I really dont like the press grips or the look at address. I found the Mezz a little bit harder align than I was expecting aswell.  've said it somewhere else here...I did putt well from long, but worse from close.  

I will try the Link if I can get my hands on it locally. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I've owned EVERYTHING over the years...including several putters I was fit for by great fitters.  I had a decent run with an Edel EAS 5.0 that I was fitted for, but at that fitting the fitter actually recommended a DF2.1 that I was also trying out.  Couldn't get over the looks so I went with the Edel.  Year or so passes, I end up buying a DF 2.1 off the rack.  Lie angle wasn't quite right but it was really solid on inside 10ft.  I just really struggled looking down at it, especially on long lags.

This summer I randomly saw a Mezz Max in person at a local retailer and started messing around with it.  Little less shaft lean baked in to it vs the DF, a more palatable headshape, and I figured why not.

IT HAS CHANGED MY GAME!!!! 

I keep my golf stats via Golf Metrics app that calculates strokes gained for all strokes and then gives some analysis by round or groups of rounds.

This year PRE MEZZ MAX I was -1.4 strokes gained putting.  Against Professional golfers, thats not bad at all really...indicated a scratch handicap putting.  Since putting the MEZZ MAX in I'm +1.5 strokes gained putting.  I don't know if its just a honeymoon, but its been a topic in almost every group Ive played in since putting it in play with guys commenting on how many putts I'm making and inside 8ft seeming automatic which before were never automatic.  I'm even making some long putts from time to time which I never used to make.

3 stroke change for me.  Never had any club or piece of equipment really make a huge difference like this.  Maybe a driver I hit better or some wedges that are a little better...but 1 club....3 strokes better than I was before.  I just listed 7 putters on eBay!!!

• Like 4

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

I played a DF 2.1 for about 5-6 months this year.  It’s an awesome putter and the technology is legit.  I just couldn’t get comfortable over it myself but I think for people who can it’s an amazing putter.

I sold my DF 2.1 and tried to go back to a  normal putter I’d had a lot of success with before and man it didn’t go great.  

So, started looking at LAB again and after spending a bunch of time putting with the link1 at my local PGATSS I now have a link1 and will get to try it on the course for the first time this weekend.  

Ive owned the DF 2.1, and Mezz.1. I liked the DF better of the two. Regretfully, went back to conventional putting for a year and a half, it it got really really bad. Back to the DF now in armlock. Its saved my game lately. Our PGA superstore just opened and I finally got to roll all models and compare. Im still locked in with my DF armlock. However all of them were wonderful. I actually liked the mezz.1 the best of the other three. All are amazing putters. If the armlock runs its course, ill be likely getting a mezz or mezz max. Hmm but the Df is so easy to line up. Lol I want em all.

On 9/11/2023 at 8:18 AM, Sankacoffee said:

I had a Mezz for 3-4 months and I just couldn't putt inside 10 feet with it. I did all the drills but I just couldn't get to where I was comfortable in that range and then it got worse. I've never putted better with anything outside 10 feet though so it was obviously me and not the putter. The tech makes sense and one day I might do it again and just commit to it 100%.

That MUST be an alignment issue. Have you given alignment a good hard look?

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 5:05 AM, dmeeksDC said:

You try the DF? Yeah mechanical is the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. Hit some putts with just one hand. Ever use your wrist if you like. Then hit some with 2 hands but your thumbs off. Both of these drills will help you learn to let the putter do its thing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, labgolf said:

That MUST be an alignment issue. Have you given alignment a good hard look?

Yeah I have but that's still probably what it is. I missed left all the time and would manipulate the clubface at that range.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

I finally pulled the trigger on a Link.1 today after debating whether or not to take the leap.  I did the remote fitting and even went by a Club Champion and they let me roll a few putts with each model.  The Link.1 actually has a really good feel to it.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

Does anyone play the DF on slow greens and then a Link or Mezz on fast greens? I love lag putting with my DF but sometimes lose feel on those short downhill putts on fast greens

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, labgolf said:

You try the DF? Yeah mechanical is the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. Hit some putts with just one hand. Ever use your wrist if you like. Then hit some with 2 hands but your thumbs off. Both of these drills will help you learn to let the putter do its thing.

will Lab offer a counterbalanced 38 inch putter like Ricki fowler's odyssey putter? Will there be a mezz 3 next year?

On 9/10/2023 at 9:15 PM, 5hort5tuff said:

I've tried 3 times now to switch to a LAB and I just cant get used to their designs. I haven't tried the link yet though.  They do put a nice roll on he ball for sure, but I'm finding it harder to aim and line up my Mezz than my current Seemore.  I find short putts harder to drain now too. I hate the grips aswell.  For a number of reasons the Link may be the answer for me. 

I will give it some more time though...I think its worth a shot to see if it turns out for me .

This was my experience. Hard to get short putts lined up for me. I rely heavenly on a line on my ball with my Mezz

On 10/31/2023 at 8:11 PM, topgolfhero24 said:

Switched the the df 2. Four years ago and never looked back. Haven’t had a putter roll as true as this one. 

fitting is a must. Biggest bummer is the headcover game is weak and have to use a stock one 

I hate that too - I did a custom with Delilah and also hunted down one of the "alternate" covers.

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

On 9/23/2023 at 6:05 AM, dmeeksDC said:

I've never tried or seen a Axis putter in person. How is the feel compared to the Mezz? And is the Axis easier to line up? The Axis 1 hosel just seems so distracting looking down at it from pictures.

6 minutes ago, topgolfhero24 said:

Haven’t heard of these. Where can I find them?

https://girlygolfer.com/ for customs.

ebay for the alt covers - here's one auction and another that both concluded. but they pop up now and again.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

15 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

I've never tried or seen a Axis putter in person. How is the feel compared to the Mezz? And is the Axis easier to line up? The Axis 1 hosel just seems so distracting looking down at it from pictures.

I find the Axis easier to line up because it doesn't have the hands forward at address.  alignment is more 'traditional' in the sense that there's no learning curve.  

Feel - depends on the model you're using.  I have the original Joey with a milled face and the feel is phenomenal.  Different feels.  One isn't better or worse - just personal preference.

• Thanks 1

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

I'm three rounds deep into my custom LAB Link (online fitting, Accra shaft) and it's still getting there for me. I have had some ridiculous rounds with a lot of one putts (I find my ability to lag it close from the fringe or deep in the green excellent) but I've also had 2-5 three putts per round.

I think it's just getting used to it, but similar to the poster above, I've actually found it harder to drain 6-7 footers recently. I either end up hitting with too much pace and lipping the putt out, or just missing my line either side of the cup. I'm really hoping I'll continue to track more positively, as it definitely feels like it has the potential to be a lot more consistent, I'm just not there yet.

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

11 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

I'm three rounds deep into my custom LAB Link (online fitting, Accra shaft) and it's still getting there for me. I have had some ridiculous rounds with a lot of one putts (I find my ability to lag it close from the fringe or deep in the green excellent) but I've also had 2-5 three putts per round.

I think it's just getting used to it, but similar to the poster above, I've actually found it harder to drain 6-7 footers recently. I either end up hitting with too much pace and lipping the putt out, or just missing my line either side of the cup. I'm really hoping I'll continue to track more positively, as it definitely feels like it has the potential to be a lot more consistent, I'm just not there yet.

Agree w you.  3-6 foot putts became hard for me to line up. 

Just now, topgolfhero24 said:

Agree w you.  3-6 foot putts became hard for me to line up. 

Did this resolve for you? Any particular drills help?

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

1 minute ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Did this resolve for you? Any particular drills help?

I ended up switching putters. In my honeymoon phase w the new one and practicing a lot. 

my trade off has been lag putting not as well as with lab but making the more important 3-6 foot puts much more now. 

I’ll likely put it back in the bag at some point. Pics of the df3 really have me interesting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

This is where I got stuck with the Mezz Maxx.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Here's my quick take so far:  

Bought a Mezz Max because I was intrigued by the technology from a private seller with upgraded Accra shaft.  Listed it for sale after my first 9 holes because I was pushing EVERY putt.  Had a conversation with Sam on their FB page and decided to give it another go with some of the same tips listed here (ball in front, less thumb pressure, etc.).  Took it to Mesquite, NV for three rounds and shot a personal best on The Palmer with a 76.  31 putts and I finished with 3 straight birdies.  Felt like I hit every line that I intended to and got much better with distances over the weekend.  Still tinkering but I love the feel of it with the Accra shaft.  It definitely takes some getting used depending on your individual stroke.  Was not plug and play for me but I am very glad I was patient.  Good luck anyone trying it out!

On 9/9/2023 at 10:12 AM, ThinkingPlus said:

I switched from a Scotty Futura to a Blad (not enough MOI for me and the variety of green speeds I play) then to a Mezz. Torque balanced designs are simply superior. The last thing you want is a putter trying to rotate on it's own during a stroke and by different amounts depending on the length of the putt.

If I miss a putt, I want it to all be on me. Knowing and feeling the putter trying to rotate and me fighting it just seems like extra struggle making things harder. I don't need harder.

Second this. I’d read all about the LAB approach, and late last summer I stumbled across a DF on the outlet that was in my exact, unusual specs, so I grabbed it. Can’t see going away from it anytime soon. It is not pretty, but the monster design faded into the background of my vision eventually and I don’t even notice the weird shape any longer. The pizza box headcover is a pain but it’s a trade off I will gladly make. 

I have always been a decent putter for my level even before I got hurt when I was a solid single digit. Now that I’m an adaptive player, I rely even more on good putting, and the LAB delivers. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle