2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I quit golf last year, and it was the best decision I could have made.

bm11

On 9/20/2023 at 3:48 PM, Shankyouverymuch said:

Welcome back to the game.  A friend I play with has been playing for 30+ years and never broke 90.

It's a humbling game for sure. It does seem to be a massive uphill battle if you didn't take it up young. As referenced in the OP, I play more than most casuals (27-36 holes a week, minus vacation weeks where I play 5 or so full rounds) and practice more than most golfers (almost every day.) All of that to shoot above 100 almost all the time, scores which a teenager could conceivably be beating within a weeks to a few months of picking up the game. 

My golf coach learned to play left handed as a way to better understand what it was like for adults learning to play golf. He only plays left now. Interestingly, we're both right handed and played hockey left, but all other sports (tennis, baseball, golf, etc) right.

I think that for the golf swing there is an advantage to the lead side being stronger. Range of motion is also important. For example, there is an advantage to being able to internally rotate the lead hip more than the trail hip (assuming typical limits - if you can't rotate into a backswing forward mobility is useless).

16 hours ago, Ferguson said:

There should be no such thing as left-handed golfers. 

Judging by the periodic - but continual - frustrations voiced in the Equipment forum - according the offerings from a number of OEMs, there apparently actually aren't any left-handed golfers. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

OP, you made the correct decision.

Not because playing right-handed is intrinsically better than playing left-handed, but because by switching from left-handed golf to right-handed golf it gave you the perfect excuse to buy a complete new set of golf clubs, along with a bunch of spare wedges, hybrids, and various speciality clubs required for "course conditions."

And on GolfWRX, that is the perfect solution every time, regardless of the problem😁

• Like 4

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

OP, you made the correct decision.

Not because playing right-handed is intrinsically better than playing left-handed, but because by switching from left-handed golf to right-handed golf it gave you the perfect excuse to buy a complete new set of golf clubs, along with a bunch of spare wedges, hybrids, and various speciality clubs required for "course conditions."

And on GolfWRX, that is the perfect solution every time, regardless of the problem😁

And putters! Even though I still putt lefty sometimes, I do putt righty now. And I only have one righty putter to four lefty putters. Time to get busy.

10 hours ago, Fwitz11 said:

I would be amazed to see someone on the course playing righty but putting lefty!

It does mess with my head a bit. Tough to explain if you've never made the transition, but you know how you think about your next shot when you are walking up to your ball? Well, for a long time I'd automatically do that as a lefty, and then realize what I was doing and mentally swap to righty, which is a weird mental feeling to change how you visualize a shot feeling. Anyhow, I had just about worked that out of my system when I started putting lefty again, and find that it creeps up pretty often again.

I'm resolving to practice the heck out of righty putting until it becomes the better option, and put all lefty swings behind me. 

Im another one that "mixed up" on the right/left concept.  I play golf left handed, shoot pool left handed, when I was a kid I rode a skateboard "lefty" or what they call "goofy footed."  I write left handed, but throw a baseball or football right handed.  In my case, it all comes down to the stance where I just feel much more comfortable on my feet from the left side and turning my body from the left.  It just feels better and fits my eye-sight better from that side.

• Like 1

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

7 Wood-Callaway Paradym w/Aldila Ascent shaft

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

@bm11 Congrats on a HUGE step towards enjoying the game of golf!  I play "competitive" golf righty with modern equipment.  I play fun golf with clubs from days of yore.  I also play goofy golf (usually with adult beverages!) from the opposite side, lefty for me.  And I love them all so much more now than when all of my rounds were of the "competitive" variety!  DM me if you want to have further conversation via phone or whatnot, I'd love to offer any help I can!!!

Great job and good luck!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

My father was a natural lefty but learned golf right handed because that was the set he had access to. Had one lefty 7 iron in his bag just in case and could chip or punch great with it. Same with putting. Had one of those old steel head putters that was flat on both sides. If he wasn't putting well one way he'd switch.    Totally annoying.

37 minutes ago, McMunch said:

My father was a natural lefty but learned golf right handed because that was the set he had access to. Had one lefty 7 iron in his bag just in case and could chip or punch great with it. Same with putting. Had one of those old steel head putters that was flat on both sides. If he wasn't putting well one way he'd switch.    Totally annoying.

I want to rock an ambidextrous putter!!!

4 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

@bm11 Congrats on a HUGE step towards enjoying the game of golf!  I play "competitive" golf righty with modern equipment.  I play fun golf with clubs from days of yore.  I also play goofy golf (usually with adult beverages!) from the opposite side, lefty for me.  And I love them all so much more now than when all of my rounds were of the "competitive" variety!  DM me if you want to have further conversation via phone or whatnot, I'd love to offer any help I can!!!

Great job and good luck!

Thanks a bunch!

On 9/22/2023 at 7:35 AM, Ferguson said:

I'm sure he is a wonderful person, but I have always felt righthand golf should be the standard, like driving a car.  

Nowhere in the US is it "lawful" to turn left on red. 

Never driven in Texas? Left on red when turning from a one way to a one way is "lawful". 

I'm very much left handed at everything I do, including golf. When I was probably one or two years into playing, I was out with my uncle and his brother in law one day and decided on #17 I wanted to hit a shot righty. I borrowed a driver and proceeded to pipe one dead center of the fairway. Considering I was fighting a nasty slice with my lefty swing, I was encouraged. It felt awkward, but the result was fantastic. To ensure it wasn't a fluke, I borrowed his 7 iron for the approach shot. I almost broke my wrist when I hit the ground about a foot behind the ball and buried the clubhead in the dirt. Over the last 20 years since, I have randomly tried to repeat the one good righty shot, each attempt met with utter and complete failure. My right handed swing looks like something out of a very poorly drawing comic book. It is one of the most unathletic movements you could imagine. No balance, no rhythm, nothing you would expect a 40 handicap to even produce, let alone a 6 handicap I carry left handed. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, bm11 said:

Most importantly, I'm enjoying the game more than any time in the past. I don't approach each round with the mindset "I hope this is going to be a good round" and get frustrated when the first hole goes bad. I instead approach every round really looking forward to the opportunity to play, but without any feeling of anxiety of "I probably won't." I'll certainly continue to have bad rounds, but I'm not worried that the bad round is a reflection on a current trend, and I accept it is just part of the process.

I was born a lefty, but as a youngster switched to being right-handed at everything.  My guess, you're enjoying golf right-handed cause you feel you fit in.  Being a lefty can make someone think and do crazy things, plus it is difficult finding lefty equipment.  Essentially, I've been ambidextrous at most activities all my life.  I play golf right-handed, but often putt left-handed, using the flange of my SC putter, and make putts. LOL

Good luck.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX