WHS Rule Changes for 2024

27 minutes ago, Newby said:

My club has no problem in handling overseas scores sent by email.

I know I had no problem submitting my Scotland scores for my US handicap.  Is it possible that the requirement to "pre-register" casual rounds poses some difficulty for OK golfers playing outside of the UK?  To me that sounds like a local problem, not a WHS problem.

15 minutes ago, davep043 said:

I know I had no problem submitting my Scotland scores for my US handicap.  Is it possible that the requirement to "pre-register" casual rounds poses some difficulty for OK golfers playing outside of the UK?  To me that sounds like a local problem, not a WHS problem.

For Canada, I can post handicap scores electronically for US courses, NZ, Australia, most of Europe and all of UK.  Haven't checked many other countries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davep043 said:

It shouldn't.

But I believe it depends on the jurisdiction where the round is played.

Edited by Newby

1 hour ago, rogolf said:

What does that mean?  When I play in Scotland, there is no need for me to pre-register casual rounds for submission to Canada.

I don't know what Rule 2.1a(iii)  says in the Canadian version of the manual but this what it says in CONGU's. However, the clause is not in the USGA version.

(iii) Registering Intent to Submit a Score in General Play.
A player is required to pre-register their intent to submit an acceptable score in general play for handicap purposes.
Such pre-registration must be made:
*     Before the player starts the round, and
*    According to the requirements or conditions established by the Handicap Committee and/or the Authorized Association.
The Handicap Committee may consider a player to have pre-registered their intent to submit an acceptable score for handicap purposes when playing an
authorized format of play in a regular, organized event with other players.

Edited by Newby

16 minutes ago, Newby said:

I don't know what Rule 2.1a(iii)  says in the Canadian version of the manual but this what it says in CONGU's. However, the clause is not in the USGA version.

(iii) Registering Intent to Submit a Score in General Play.
A player is required to pre-register their intent to submit an acceptable score in general play for handicap purposes.
Such pre-registration must be made:
*     Before the player starts the round, and
*    According to the requirements or conditions established by the Handicap Committee and/or the Authorized Association.
The Handicap Committee may consider a player to have pre-registered their intent to submit an acceptable score for handicap purposes when playing an
authorized format of play in a regular, organized event with other players.

We do not need to pre-register for general/casual play rounds for handicap purposes, including when those rounds are played in other jurisdictions, eg, UK.  We also post match play scores, regardless of where they are played. 

Edited by rogolf
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Newby said:

My club has no problem in handling overseas scores sent by email.

At my club it's been hit and miss - I've not sent many (and don't bother anymore) but they generally fall through the cracks and I've heard the same from friends at other clubs. Not (yet) being able to do it electronically creates an additional admin burden on the club, which is sometimes not as simple as just entering the score as on occasion the cards aren't in English (e.g. Spanish/Portuguese courses) or don't include all necessary details (I've e.g. had some with the slope but no course rating specified meaning it needs to be looked up), which as a member I feel guilty imposing on a club with limited personnel to deal with this, but on the other hand as someone who plays 50-60% of my golf outside the UK due to extended work travel it's a bit frustrating that my handicap then only reflects some of my golf. I guess I'm in the minority of players who have this issue and it's a low priority given the system works reasonably well for golf played exclusively within the UK (other than geolocation issues with the app at times) and the technology will get there eventually.

13 hours ago, davep043 said:

This hasn't been too much of a problem as it can for example be done by email, although it's probably unclear to anyone who bothers to check whether a round was actually pre-registered when playing in a different timezone/continent as e.g. they would have no idea what time the round was played on the day vs when the email was sent, although that's probably not much different to a general play score entered at home and relies on the honesty that the player should be approaching this with anyway.

9 hours ago, Buddon _Burn said:

The England golf app is now allowing scores to be entered on New Zealand courses so things are progressing. That was always one of the more likely expansions given the England app was developed by the same NZ company as used by NZ Golf.

So then the UK/GB requirement for pre-declaring rounds is no more ?

Or does the app at least have you check a box that says the round about to be submitted was pre-declared ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

On 2/1/2024 at 11:56 AM, davep043 said:

GHIN has a small searching issue.

Just for kicks, since you mentioned Scotland, I put in the course search "st andrews" and the OLD course (or the new one for that matter) did NOT show up.

Puzzled for a bit, I then changed it to "st. andrews" (note the period) and THEN it showed. :classic_wink:

Ping Glide Pro 48*

31 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Or does the app at least have you check a box that says the round about to be submitted was pre-declared ?

It's still required - how it works is you need to register in the app (i.e. start a scorecard) before teeing off, which can only be done when on/near the course and then doesn't allow the round to be finalised for a period of time (I think about 3 hours) and then needs to be confirmed by a marker in their app. Obviously all open to manipulation for those that way inclined but presumably could at least be verified with the course vs. the tee time booked etc. if necessary.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

In the UK there are a number of Apps available. HDID, EG, IG, Golf Genius and I suspect others

Pre WHS, the original club competition and handicap management software was provided to clubs by Independent Software Vendors (ISVs). That software simply uploaded the resultant handicap details to the the national centre. The Central Database of Handicaps (CDH) for the country involved. The CDH did no processing at all. It was simply a record holder. The handicap calculations were done by the ISV software.

The ISV now only handle the competition management and score entry and send the raw scores to the WHS DB. But the Apps can also update the ISV software. In fact the relationships are a bit more complicated than that.

However, it depends on the relationship between the app and the ISV as to whether pre-declaration can be effected. The requirement has not changed but the method may vary. On occasion it may be manual.

Edited by Newby

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

GHIN has a small searching issue.

Just for kicks, since you mentioned Scotland, I put in the course search "st andrews" and the OLD course (or the new one for that matter) did NOT show up.

Puzzled for a bit, I then changed it to "st. andrews" (note the period) and THEN it showed. :classic_wink:

I just used the "Nearby" tab, it was simple that way.

19 minutes ago, davep043 said:

I just used the "Nearby" tab, it was simple that way.

You're using your phone, yes ?

I don't see a "Nearby" tab on my desktop.

Ping Glide Pro 48*