Eagle!!!

anser2

describe how you got your first eagle
I thought a thread about how you got your first eagle would be interesting. I just got my first today, and it felt great. How did you get yours? Please share your story. Here's mine:

I got my first eagle today. I was so happy I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for 15 minutes. I had been having a rough day, and my swing was off a little bit. So, on to the 8th hole I went, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. It was a down-hill 521 yd. par 5. I hit my tee shot okay, but it ended up in the fairway (first straight one all day :wub: ). I then hit a 3-iron that landed 68 yds. short of the green and in the fairway. From there, I took a soft 3/4 swing w/ my 54* wedge. It landed on the front edge of the green, bounced forward, and rolled into the hole (2-piece distance ball has NO spin. LOL). It was my longest hit-in and was my first eagle. My buddies started going crazy. They couldn't believe it. After having such a bad day, I pulled this off. What a crazy game. One shot can turn the worst day into the best one. Isn't golf great?

How did you get your first eagle, and how many have you had?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was a blind third shot uphill about 130-140 to a par five with I believe an 8 or 9 iron. Perfect shot, felt just pure and thought I'd have a nice chance for a birdie.

Well, I went up to the green to find that my ball was no where to be found! I thought, "great...I overcooked it or it didn't stick to the green." Looked all around, in the tall grass/weeds, but couldn't find. I started getting pissed that my chances for the hole just went from birdie to bogey (lost ball penalty). Then on a chance...I thought..."maybe"...and looked in the hole...there it was.

Too bad I was playing alone that day during the twilight hours, but still the feeling couldn't be beat!

Ha, The first one that I can remember was the same as yours.Par 5 500 some yards... In the fairway off the tee. Lay up to like 50 yds, 52 in hand take 1/2 trying to bounce it in, hit it so thin, smack the club on the ground for being stupid and blowing a simple shot, look up and see it roll in. I have no clue how I managed to do it but the 1/2 swing barely got it on the green and it rolled in. Went on to shoot a 76, my lost score at the time

I have played so many courses, but I think it was my HS course, Castlewoods, on the old back nine, which was a palmer course, I believe. It was the the first par five with a good drive, which fantastic off my Titleist 975D with ust pro60 stiff shaft... apporach left me long with 5 or 4 iron shot to leave a 80-60 yard shot. well I holed the shot in and never stop playing since. I think I have only had a handful of eagles since. I have had several opportunity's to reach but putting feel short. My putting still haunts my game!

I remember mine like it was yesterday. It was about 5 years ago, I had only been playing golf for a little over a year, and was playing a muni in SoCal. There's a short par 4, something like 280 severe dogleg left. I hit the most beautiful wicked hook 3 wood ever. Rolled up between the two greenside bunkers, I couldn't see where it ended up from the tee box. Drive up to the green and my ball is 2 inches from the hole. :wub:

mine was on a short par four. this hole only plays a little over 300 yds but here's why. the hole fades to the right a bit for the last 75 yds, just enough for two huge pom trees to totally block the green, they are very tall and only 60 yds from the green so you have to kill one and have it basically drop straight down, or draw it over a lake (oh yeah there is a huge lake on the right) around the trees over a huge bunker and on to the green that's 50ft long, but only 20 ft wide. usually I just try to smoke one over the trees and have hit green a few times that way. but if it hit's the trees it has a great possibility of getting wet. one day I was playing great so I decide to try option #2, hit it way over the water, around the trees, over the bunker, and it ends up 5 ft from the pin. most important, made the put.

my first was about 9 years ago. i hit my drive on a par 5 into the trees. had to punch out into the fairway to leave me with about 160 left to go. ended up hitting the perfect 6 iron to drop it in the hole....it has to be one of the ugliest eagles ever. and i've never had such a quick attitude change like that ever before, haha

Mine was only a few weeks ago (only really been playing for 2 months) Par 5 458m's. Hit a perfect drive then flushed a 7 iron to about 10 feet. Finally put enough speed to role the putt in. My smile must have reached my ears. Not to mention i did it in front of Ricky Ponting :wub:

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

I've had a number of eagles and I don't remember my first one but I do however remember my 1st and only double eagle. It was at the Oaks in Leavenworth and it was on #4, the only par five on this 9 hole course. The hole is a hard dogleg right that plays 518 yds and the only way to hit the green in two is to cut the corner and hit through a V in the trees. If your brave enough to go for that shot and make it, your next shot will be from aprox 180yds to 220yds out. Well I hit a great tee shot and I was left with about 215 to the green, so I took my #2 hybrid and hit another beauty that took a couple of hops and then......... I lost it. I didn't see the ball fall in the hole. It was actually one of my dogfight teammates that got to the green before I did and discovered that the ball went in the hole. Everyone on that dogfight team was exstatic, needless to say that we won that round because double eagles are worth 50 points in a dogfight...The scorecard is actually pinned up by all the hole in one plaques as you enter the proshop on your right.......

I played my first (and until today only) eagle seven or eight years ago on a vacation on a golf course I didn't know really well. It was on a short par five, about 520 yds., dogleg left. I hooked the tee shot with 3wood into the rough, almost out of bounce, then played a medium iron (probably 6) to the wide part of the fairway on the right hand side. was left with about 120 yards to the slightly elevated green and hit 8iron with a less than full swing. the ball took one hop, hit the flagstick and went in.

i was a 28 hcp at the time and thought that this would be an easy game. way wrong.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Really a coming of age story. 11 handicap August 2005

Montauk Downs, 7th hole par 5.

Purple dot is tee shot, yellow dot is where I layed up to - 105-110 so I am not exatcly sure if that is correct on the satellite but... I remember, 54* 107 for some reason, from the semi rough on the right side, ball sitting up like on a peg.

Pin on the right side of green, just above the ridge you can see the golfer on the right standing on. (pic is not mine it is from fairway) The pin when I HOLED OUT the WEDGE FOR EAGLE!!!!! Was just on top of that ridge and from where I hit the shot looked like I hit the edge of the green (which is slanted) and it kicked left into the hole.

With my Father as witness it was beautiful. Of course, this is AFTER he fanned two 3 irons into the pond trying to reach in "2" after a perfect drive of about 290+

JC

Mine was in the first round of the Club Championships earlier this year. I managed to drive the ball into the greenside bunker on the first hole (it's only 233 metres so it's not really a feat, since I used a 2-iron/hybrid). When I got to the bunker to see the lie, I could see that the the groundsmen had raked all the bunkers perfectly for the Championship. It was a perfect lie for a 60*.

Now, since I had hit the ball past the pin, I faced a green that was sloping away from me with about 3 metres to work with and a medium-high lip. This means I have to get it out high and to land just on the green to let it release behind the hole. There was no chance of stopping it.

The funny thing is, as soon as I stepped in the bunker, I knew that whatever I did, the ball was going into the hole. I don't know if anyone has had this kind of experience before, but it is so surreal. I addressed the ball, and I could see and feel exactly what I had to do and how the ball was going to fly and release. Sure enough, the ball never looked like missing. It was in all the way at the perfect holing speed!

Having had the eagle, I proceeded to go bogey-bogey-bogey-double. The good news is that for a brief moment, I was leading. Even better, I managed to make the matchplay after the qualifying rounds and lost to the eventual winner.

But in all honesty, that was the best bunker shot I have ever hit.

My first was a par 5 on the Edinburgh Course at Wentworth, England. Average drive, 2nd had to lay up around a tree to about 60yds and the pitch shot hit about 6" up the pin and drop down for a slam dunk eagle 3.... I was so excited I put off the guy playing his tee shot on the next hole....

The best one I've bagged was at Kilspindie Golf Course, Scotland (close to H.C.E.G. Muirfield, well worth a round if your in the area, short but fun) par 4, I ripped driver to 20ft and canned the putt. But I was out done 5 holes later when my playing partner got a hole-in-one we watched it all the way, landing 10ft short and tracked all the way into the cup... One of the best days on the links I've ever had.

Mine was actually in the qualifier for my highschool golf team 2 or so years ago.

It was a Par 5 no more than 520 downhill, 2nd hole. I hit a HUGE block right with my 3 wood (I didn't bring my driver, it went everywhere that year). I had a little over 245 I think. So I grabbed my Nickent strong 3 17.5* hybrid and just absolutely cooked the thing. I must have hit it at least 230-235, just as long, if not longer than my 5 wood now. So I am at the front of the green, no more than 10 yards short. I I hit a little picker with my 60* wedge (thinking now, the shot didn't really call for it but what the hey I got away with it.) It rolled, rolled, and about 3/4 of the way there I just knew it was in and sure enough hits the little slope and turns straight into the cup! I just laughed because I had doubled the first hole...so I was even.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Mine was about 35 years ago here. As you can see, the first hole is an ugly little par five, with no discernible fairway and a fuzzy, postage stamp green. Persimmon driver, don't remember the second club, probably a three iron, and a fifteen foot putt.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

1st Eagle was at Bel-Air CC when I first started really playing. #12 the "Mae West" hole. Good drive...7-iron in I think. I get up to the green, and I can't find the ball. I look everywhere, and peak in the hole on the way by, and there it is. BTW, I was playing by muself after work one day. No one to witness it. I still rmemeber the ball, Callaway RULE 35 RED.

I made mine at York Golf, in York Maine with my dad. An old fashioned Don Ross, and on the 8th hole a nice little par five playing short that day becuase the tees had been punched......uphill probably 480.....driver, 4 iron, into a green side bunker, and scored the sand shot. WOW!! what a rush.

Have had a few more since then, but that one was special. The only one that competes is a hole in one i scored again with my dad (gotta play more golf with him).

Mine was funny only because I blew a really good chance earlier that same round.

The fifth hole at my home course is a strong dogleg right but reachable - at the time for me it was driver and then a driver off the deck to have any chance. I used to hit that Warbird off the fairway with this huge (and I mean huge) sweeping fade and managed to roll it up there to about three feet. I totally choked the putt - I was so nervous and blew it. I remember that miss almost as clearly as the excitment of my first eagle.

On the 17th, that same day I hit driver, 3 wood to about 10 feet in front. The funny thing is that I can never reach 17 in two but that day for whatever reason there was a ton of wind at my back. I putted it from their as the pin was up front and dropped it. The crowd went nuts and we all had a good time.

I still say that I played the par 5's in three under that day (I parred the other two that day). To bad that I was 11 over on the other 14 holes.

you know reading this thread just brings a big smile to my face. There is pride excitement and joy in your post. I honestly can not remember my first eagle for sure (44 years of golf is a long time) I remember holing out twice on par 4's my second year of playing when I was 15 one was a seven iron and a perfect golf shot the other was a toe hooked two iron I have no idea how it ended up in the hole. I am sure I probably eagled a par five first

If anyone here has ever played the Pensacola Municipal Golf course the eagles were on one and ten these two holes are reversed now I believe. The next year I had my first double eagle on what was five but I guess now is 14.

Like I said nice thread brings back nice memorys.