Eagle!!!

anser2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time, very late in the afternoon, late October, last hole of a scramble tournament a short par 4, 387y. The scramble format was a drop out tournament, so the ball we used the player is out on the next shot. We all teed off, all the balls were in the fairway but our A player struck his drive 15y past mine to 302y. So, that leaves us with 85 yards to the hole, with the hole center of the green, but the angle of attack only made the flag 6y from the front and back edge. Now the tricky part, we had to play over a bunker and the backside of the bunker created a down slope to the hole which is about a 2-3ft elevation. At this point, we are 4 under and thinking we need to get to 5 under to win the tourney after hearing from other groups there were 2 other groups at 4 under.

Ok, so after the drive, the first player struck his ball well and was on the green about 50ft away from the hole on the right side. The other struck his to the opposite end of the green which was about 35ft....So, it was up to me to get it close and possibly get an opportunity to win the tournament with a birdie. So I took out my 58* SW and choked up about an inch, made a couple of practice swings with a quiet left wrist, wanting to land the ball just over the hump. They were great feeling practice swings, so I finally step up....going through my routine, started the takeaway, smooth and easy, at 3/4, started the downswing, weight already on the left side, ball trapped, nice crisp divot, medium ball flight, everyone saying nice shot, we watch it land, thinking it could be close, we hurriedly get in the cart and jet to the green to putt out before it becomes pitch black.

As we drive up, we notice 2 balls, I'm thinking my ball was short and possibly in the bunker. The A player starts joking as we're getting out of the cart and walking on the green. The C player starts joking as well and I'm shrugging it off as I walk past the hole not giving it any thought that it went in the hole. As I took my 4th step past, the A and C player looked in the hole and he yells, "IT'S IN THE HOLE", I turn around and asks if that was a Nike One Plat with a red dot, he confirms with a hellofa high 5. High 5's goes around our team as we walk off and drive back in the 50* temp from the 4th hole.

So, we get back and turn in our scorecard, we sit for about 15-30 mins waiting for the outcome and as they the scorer looks over our card, they asks us, "is this a 2 on here?" We all confirmed with a warm smile and high 5's again. As all the scores are posted, we notice we've won by 4 strokes, no, I wasnt going to exaggerate that we won by 1, in either case, it was a well remembered hole.

So that is OUR eagle story. :rolleyes:

It was at hole #8 at my home course. It is a 580yd par 5 with a slight dogleg right at the end. I hit a normal tee shot and then layed up with a 5 iron to about 120yds. The pin was in the front middle and the green is sloped front to back. I hit my wedge to about 10ft behind the pin and spun it back into the hole. It was so surreal, looked just like the pros on TV!!!! Last time I have holed one out for eagle. The rest have come with putts and chip ins.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

both my first and second eagles came in anger, come to think about it, most of my good holes have come in anger. I was playing in a junior tournament in Miami, Oklahoma during the summer of 1998. coming off back to back double bogeys I holed a gap wedge from 100 yards. It landed about 8 feet short and rolled in. A few weeks later back in my hometown of Tulsa I was again playing in a junior tournament. Walked up to a short par 5, after bogeying the previous par 3, I knew I needed a birdie. I pulled my driver deep into the trees and was forced to chip out sideways. I was standing about 60 or 70 yards back from my usually layup spot and hit a 6 iron that landed about an inch short of the cup and burrowed its way in the hole.

Since then I've had numerous eagles, mostly 1 putt par 5's and the occasional 1 putt par 4 (when the wind really blows in Oklahoma). I've never made a hole-in-one, but I' did make a double eagle once. I was playing a High School practice round on our high school's home course. I turned at -3 and was feeling pretty confident about my round. I preceded to bogey the next 8 holes and was standing on the 18th tee steaming mad. 18 is a short par 5 with OB and water running the left hand side. I lost my drive to the right and ended up in 10 fairway, this wasn't exactly unusual as it was my miss on the hole. The sun was setting and it was getting hard to see.I pured a 2 Iron and lost sight of it as it cleared the pine I was using as my alignment. I walk up to the green and bend down to mark my ball sitting 10 ft. from the hole when I realize it was not my ball. I walk long looking for it... nothings there, I walk 50 yards back on my line thinking I was short... nothing there. Now I'm thinking it must have rolled in the water and am about to chuck my clubs in after my ball when I walk by the cup and glance down. There's my ball, sitting there for a cool 73. My coach heard about my 3 under front and after hearing about the double eagle was expecting something more like 63. He couldn't believe I had bogeyed 8 of the last 9 holes. Either could I.

I got mine two years ago.

I was playing the Woodside front nine at Butler's Golf course in Elizabeth, PA in my golf league. It was the third hole, a 304 yard par 4. It hadn't rained in a week, so the ground was firm.

I bombed (for me) my drive right down the middle. It took a big bounce and I figured I was close, but probably 10 yards short. The tee is below the hole, so I couldn't see where it landed.

As we are driving up the fairway, I see it. Hole high, six feet to the right of the pin. I mark it and wait for the other guys to put out. My knees were shaking. It was a pretty straight put, maybe an inch and a half of break. I dropped it right in the right side of the cup.

What a feeling. I can still remember the whole hole, from tee to green.

I do not remember my first eagle except to say that I was always long but erratic, now at 52, I am not long but can be just as erratic. Here's a funny story about having an eagle putt(maybe my first attempt) at a course in Fl and proceeding to, yes 4 putt it for a bogey. Which given my bad golf behavior at the time i proceeded to toss the putter into an alligator infested lake. Needlesss to say i never 4 putted again with that putter.

Wow..what a trip down memory lane...I was 15 yrs old (Cant believe its been 20 yrs), At the course i grew up playing, 1st hole 510 yd par 5 dog leg right, with a huge tree and a pond guarding the corner. I'd never seen anyone try to cut the corner before, but didnt see a reason why a relatively long hitter couldnt, so I gave it a try. When I got to my ball, I had 185 into the green, but a smaller tree was in my way and i really only had a shot to a small corner of the green. As luck would have it, when I got to my ball the guy was changing the pin placement...and to my suprise he put it right in the middle of the small portion of the green i could aim at. Pulled out 6 iron and hit the ball right at it. Was shocked when the ball hit the stick and stayed up about 2 inches from the hole. Lucky it was so close or might of never made an eagle. I was so excited that I promptly double-bogied the next hole.

Even so, that day showed me I could cut even more of the dog leg on that hole, and it gave up frequent eagles as it turned to a driver and 7 or 8 iron instead of the driver and 3-iron or fairway wood it had been.

Favorite eagle was one last year. Ran into the old man who taught me the golf swing when I was a kid, and he started watching me swing again. We were playing at a local course. 520 yd par 5 (although the tees were up at the front of the box so it was probably 500 or so), a soft dog leg left with water the whole way down the left. Hole was playing downwind, and when I swung the ball exploded off the face, but a little closer to the pond than I would have liked, but I still thought it was safe. Generally hit the ball around the 200 yd marker there, and with it being down wind and the tee up figured it would be about 175 from the green.When I got to the 200 and didnt see the ball between me and the 150, i figured i was wrong and it mustve kicked into the pond. Dropped a ball, but told him it was a provisional as I was still looking for the original. Once I got to the 150 I saw a ball about 80 yds from the green. SUre enough, it was my titleist with my green markings. Hit lob wedge to 8 feet and made the putt. And again followed an eagle with a double bogey.

I made my first eagle last year on a 550 yard par 5. First I hit a fairly poor drive about 250 yards in the right rough. From there an average 3 iron to about 110 yards. I hit my 52 degree wedge a little thin but it landed nicely on the green and bounced 2-3 times and went in the hole. I was speechless and so was the old lady I played with. 3 poor or average shots but yet I made an EAGLE!

My first eagle was in a junior tournament at Lincoln Park golf course in San Francisco in the mid 1960's. I was having a career day in the semi-finals. I was getting up and down from everywhere and was just 1-over par for the first 10 holes and was leading the match 7-up (5th flight). The 11th hole at Lincoln park is a short downhill par 4 with a huge mound in front of the green. I pitched in a totally blind shot for eagle from about 50-60 yards and won the match 8 and 7. The bad news was I was not allowed to finish my round. The rules stipulated that you had to get off the course and report your scores as soon as the match ended. The good play did not continue the next day. I lost in the finals.

I've had many eagle putts but on all but two I've been thwarted by stuff out of my control - I was swooped by a magpie in one case, and another time a twig fell from a tree between my already moving ball and the hole. I'm pretty sure it would have dropped... it was right on target and didn't look like missing. Other times I've simply sprayed the putt or missed.

I've had two eagles, though, both on the same hole (the third) and both done in much the same way. It's a short 430m par 5, with the crest of a steep hill about 200m from the tee and about 230m of slightly down hill fairway to a tricky fast, sloped green.

The first time I eagled it was the first time I'd taken my 755's out. Hadn't even used them at the range - I picked them up from the pro shop, stuck them in the bag, and walked to the first tee to play the first three holes before it got dark. Driver to about 160m from the green, then the first shot I'd hit with my 9 iron. It did what I wanted - landed pin high on the fringe, then rolled about 7 meters next to the hole. Tap in eagle.

The second was the same, but more rewarding. I sprayed my driver to the fairway bunker just over the hill, and hit a 7 iron that stopped about six feet from the hole. Eagle!

I don't know if they count, though - both those times I was playing by myself and nobody else saw it happen :)

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

1st eagle was in qualifying for a jr tour. holed a wedge shot from about 50 yrds on a short par 4. # 12 or 13 i think. there was a big mound on the front of the green so i didnt see it go in, the ball hit the top of the mound and rolled with about 5 feet of break im told left to right down hill and would have been 20 feet by except it hit the middle of the stick and drpped in. the eagle helped me qualify so i was pumped.

Congrats :)

There are only two that I remember specifically, probably because they were par fours. The first one was an 8 iron that I actually couldn't tell dropped from where I hit the shot. The second was only a wedge after a great drive, but it danced around the pin and then did a disappearing act. Eagles are special, but I'm still hoping for a one.

d

I can't remember my first eagle because I have hit quite a few due to being fairly long off the tee (not REALLY long like some people on here, but long enough).

My favorite one came the first time I beat my dad. I was 19, playing on a course back home in Tennessee. Par 4 360, straightaway with trees left and trees right. Well, as long as I can be off the tee I can be very wide also! So I duckhooked my tee shot with my driver so far left that I landed on the back of the next tee in the rough. So I go behind the trees and realize that I have no way of hitting the club that I want to make it over the trees. I had 140 to the green and that really was a pitching wedge, but I didn't think I could make it over. So I pulled out the Cleveland BRZ 52* gap wedge and just swung for the fences. Popped it straight over the trees and landed on the green. I hear my dad shout and drive up to realize that it had bounced once and landed directly in the cup. He couldn't believe it.....and it got better when I won by 2 strokes at the end of the round for the first defeat of my dad!

I'll never forget the first time I bested my dad, as well. I felt great, but also a bit sad, I guess.

d

Battle Creek #1 (marysville, WA)

327 from the whites.

Drove the green with a monster 3 wood, within 2 feet. Easy putt.

Then on the next hole Par 5 438

Driver, 9 iron to 3 feet. Easy putt....

My first 2 eagles on back to back holes!!!!

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

I thought a thread about how you got your first eagle would be interesting. I just got my first today, and it felt great. How did you get yours? Please share your story. Here's mine:

I got my first eagle today. I was so happy I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for 15 minutes. I had been having a rough day, and my swing was off a little bit. So, on to the 8th hole I went, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. It was a down-hill 521 yd. par 5. I hit my tee shot okay, but it ended up in the fairway (first straight one all day :) ). I then hit a 3-iron that landed 68 yds. short of the green and in the fairway. From there, I took a soft 3/4 swing w/ my 54* wedge. It landed on the front edge of the green, bounced forward, and rolled into the hole (2-piece distance ball has NO spin. LOL). It was my longest hit-in and was my first eagle. My buddies started going crazy. They couldn't believe it. After having such a bad day, I pulled this off. What a crazy game. One shot can turn the worst day into the best one. Isn't golf great?

How did you get your first eagle, and how many have you had?

I hit a great drive...then a great iron....then made my putt on a par 5!

Nike Covert Driver with Matrix White Tie
Callaway XHot 3 metal
Adams Idea Pro 3 Hybrid
Taylormade r11 Irons with KBS tour
Titleist Spin mill wedges 50,55,60
Nike Method Putter, Pro V1x Ball

Great thread! My first came on roughly 460 yard par five, and should never have happened. A fourth person had just joined my two brothers and I on the 10th hole. After shanking my drive about 30 yards right trying to impress our new addition, I angrily tried to beat a three wood further than I ever had, out of the rough, over two trees, probably 240 yards. Somehow the ball clears the trees and land softly just off the green, rolling to two feet. Sunk the putt and impressed our fourth. Then proceeded to bogey the rest of the back nine to shoot a 41. Such is golf........

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?

I was just reading about everyones eagles and it again made me smile remembering mine. It was the first hole of the year for me 2 years ago. I went golfing with my younger brother. To make this story I didnt have my own putter. I was using my dads. I hit a great drive and knew it was going to be around the green on the 324 par 4. As I got up to the green I noticed that my ball rolled on the front with a back pin placement. I then decided to lag the put towards the hole and it went in. I can still see the look on my brothers face when I was jumping in the air.

The next week I made my second on a par 5...couldnt believe the way I was playing.

• 1 month later...

Mine might be the craziest. Playing the Womens tees , Got to the 280 something par 4 10th, The wind was blowing sideways about 30 mile per hour and it was raining sideways. I  hit a low slice mis-hit into a bunker about 130 out then I holed out with a Pitching wedge. Had to q

it the next hole because it was raining so bad. 

Mine happened about 2 months ago or so at our district golf tournament. It was on the 2nd hole of our first nine. The hole is a shorter par 4 that has the green put away to the left of the fairway guarded by trees and sand. If you dont hit your driver far enough you wont have a shot in. So i hit my drive and block it pretty far right. But it goes far enough right to where I have a nice shot in, just a little longer that what I would have liked. I walk it off and it ends up being about 165 to the pin with a little wind in my face. I pull 6 iron and hit a shot right at the pin. Pin is on front edge of green, my shot lands right at fringe and 2 hops then catches a ridge and rolls right in. I had birdied the hole before that so I was 3 under through 2. I figured i was going to career it that day. I was 1 under going into 8 and was 6 over on 8 and 9 alone. I wanted to die

i eagled the same hole twice (from rough and drove green to 6-feet) i eagled holes 4, 5, and 6 (twice) at home course. all are par 4's. i have 8 total eagles... i think.

Favorite eagle stories: I was playing with my Bro at home course one night, got to 4th hole (440 par 4) hit driver to right side about 172 yards out. Hit 7 iron that bounced up onto the green, took the break, and dropped into the cup. My Brother couldn't believe it. I chipped in on the next hole for birdie to top it off... Needless to say my Brother wasn't too happy.

second: i was playing a mini-matchplay match during golf practice, came to 5th hole up 5. and proceeded to hole out from the edge of a bunker with 9 iron. It was a well-played shot that i had to land short and roll up due to the position and lie for my second shot. it came off exactly how i pictured it and rolled the length of the green and dropped. i through the club up and was bowing to the group behind me, who just happened to be my brother and my friend.

i eagled the same hole twice (from rough and drove green to 6-feet) i eagled holes 4, 5, and 6 (twice) at home course. all are par 4's. i have 8 total eagles... i think.

Favorite eagle stories: I was playing with my Bro at home course one night, got to 4th hole (440 par 4) hit driver to right side about 172 yards out. Hit 7 iron that bounced up onto the green, took the break, and dropped into the cup. My Brother couldn't believe it. I chipped in on the next hole for birdie to top it off... Needless to say my Brother wasn't too happy.

second: i was playing a mini-matchplay match during golf practice, came to 5th hole up 5. and proceeded to hole out from the edge of a bunker with 9 iron. It was a well-played shot that i had to land short and roll up due to the position and lie for my second shot. it came off exactly how i pictured it and rolled the length of the green and dropped. i through the club up and was bowing to the group behind me, who just happened to be my brother and my friend.

Geez.... your brother must hate you!

par 5 557 yards

hit driver to about 240 yards out and hit a fat 3i, it looked like it was going into the water but hit one of the rocks around the lake (green side) and bounced 6 feet from the hole and i made eagle the eagle put, its the only time i have made eagle on the hole.7

That's at the Ike in Colorado Springs, right? I always wanted to play the Broadmoor, just to see what it was like to be able to hit driver at that altitude. I've played in Phoenix at about 3,000 feet, and I was easily 40 yards longer than at a few feet above sea level on Long Island or in South Florida with the heavy, humid air. I can only imagine what my club lengths would be at 6,000 feet plus in the high desert. How would you figure that, anyway?