Sony Open 2024

MattyO1984

It’s going to be -40° here Saturday. MINUS FORTY! I need these soothing Hawaiian views to not go insane. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1

10 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Didn't they go to college? Reading the priority ranking's isn't hard. I don't feel bad for them, nobody is "screwing them". 

• Confused 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

14 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

Didn't they go to college? Reading the priority ranking's isn't hard. I don't feel bad for them, nobody is "screwing them". 

Not sure if you read the article but there's a little more to it than just that:

The Tour scheduled a mandatory two-day orientation for rookies the weekend before the start of the Sony at Waialae, and covered players’ weekend travel costs. What the Tour didn’t count on was that many of those members were going to have to Monday qualify because they weren’t in the field. 

This weekend, players sat through meetings and presentations about the rules and regulations of the PGA Tour. Many of those players were thinking about how to shoot 8-under on Monday at Kapolei Golf Course without a practice round. One player in orientation said the Tour wasn’t able to secure a practice round for him, so he called Kapolei Golf Course directly, and was able to get out before the first group teed off this weekend. 

• Like 3

I guess the tour should have been more clear. But im oh the view you earn your way into the top 150, they get a chance at entry and its not the tour's issue who signs up for event X. 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

The bit that gets me:

The final two categories of players that fill PGA Tour fields are top-10 from DP World Tour and top-30 KFT graduates, with the top-5 from Q-school at the bottom of that category. The biggest change in priority ranking this season is the DP World Tour category. The DPWT’s strategic alliance with the PGA Tour gave the top-10 players from 2023 who don’t already hold PGA Tour status, priority over the top-30 KFT players into 2024 PGA Tour fields. Five players from that list – Alexander Björk, Ryo Hisatsune, Robert MacIntyre, Matthieu Pavon, Sami Valimaki – committed to the Sony field. Multiple players from the KFT graduating class expressed frustration about this. 

“The Korn Ferry Tour is the PGA Tour’s feeder tour,” says a KFT graduate. “But we are behind the Euro guys, and can’t move past them? It doesn’t make sense to me.” 

Add a few players coming back from medical extensions to the 144-player field, and it’s more apparent how the second half of KFT graduates are on the alternate list for the season-opener. Why the DPWT should receive priority over KFT grads is a question many players – especially those not in the field – are wrestling with.

Pretty sure that no matter how you slice it, the DPWT has stronger fields and those five DPWT players are all top-100 OWGR except for Valimaki, who is 108th. 

The don't say which player above made this statement, but they do name Jimmy Stanger as the last player in the field, who is OWGR 248th. If we assume that it's one of the players not in the field (or who had to Monday Q) griping about it, it would be fair to assume they're probably not a top-100 OWGR player. 

Seems to me that it makes perfect sense for the top-10 DPWT guys to have priority over the top-30 KFT or the top-5 Q-school guys if they've gotten there by proving themselves on a more prestigious tour with tougher competition. 

The idea that KFT being the "feeder" tour means that you should get into a field over more accomplished players is entitled BS. 

• Like 4

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

The argument i can get behind is the "signature events" should have 144. By accepting part of the Liv model, we create this mess. Did the broadcast show the bottom 10 Sunday? If someone drags into Sunday who should have been cut, I fail to see how that makes anyone any money....

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

The bit that gets me:

Pretty sure that no matter how you slice it, the DPWT has stronger fields and those five DPWT players are all top-100 OWGR except for Valimaki, who is 108th. 

The don't say which player above made this statement, but they do name Jimmy Stanger as the last player in the field, who is OWGR 248th. If we assume that it's one of the players not in the field (or who had to Monday Q) griping about it, it would be fair to assume they're probably not a top-100 OWGR player. 

Seems to me that it makes perfect sense for the top-10 DPWT guys to have priority over the top-30 KFT or the top-5 Q-school guys if they've gotten there by proving themselves on a more prestigious tour with tougher competition. 

The idea that KFT being the "feeder" tour means that you should get into a field over more accomplished players is entitled BS. 

thats missing the forest for the trees the dpwt guys  getting spots isnt the problem its the telling the kft grads theyre in when in fact the dpwt change had already occurred. essentially this was a right hand not knowing what the left hand had already done.

47 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

The argument i can get behind is the "signature events" should have 144. By accepting part of the Liv model, we create this mess. Did the broadcast show the bottom 10 Sunday? If someone drags into Sunday who should have been cut, I fail to see how that makes anyone any money....

the signature events dont have 144 cause the tour wants to protect the top 30 from getting passed by a 100-250 guy who wins a 700 point signature event. by increasing the points of those events you create volatility. 

1 hour ago, jimecherry said:

thats missing the forest for the trees the dpwt guys  getting spots isnt the problem its the telling the kft grads theyre in when in fact the dpwt change had already occurred. essentially this was a right hand not knowing what the left hand had already done.

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds like the Tour mucked this one up nice and purty. Don't make promises you can't fulfill is usually a good starting point. 

But the KFT guy who thinks they should have priority over the DPWT when they have a less impressive resume and their accomplishments are against weaker fields is what I'm arguing against. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

37 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds like the Tour mucked this one up nice and purty. Don't make promises you can't fulfill is usually a good starting point. 

But the KFT guy who thinks they should have priority over the DPWT when they have a less impressive resume and their accomplishments are against weaker fields is what I'm arguing against. 

I agree.   The communication, and making them go to Hawaii for orientation at a tournament they don't get to play in is the problem.

The KFT and Q school guys should be able to get 18-19 events before the playoffs about 7 fall events, so they'll get their opportunities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

The bit that gets me:

If the DP guys really cared about playing on the PGA Tour then they all would be in Hawaii. They aren’t and that’s a bad look. 

The bogus “alliance” between the two tours has caused this issue. An issue that was created by LIV. 

I disagree with what your arguing about but I’m biased because I’m in Hawaii and my guy can’t get in because of this situation. I’ll also disagree that these 10 DP players are more “accomplished” than any other KFT players. The OWGR points are inflated for the DP events and even Asian Tour events for that matter

Stanger got 1 of 2 KFT Finals exemptions. There’s 2 available every week apart from the elevated fields 

Edited by Creedo77

Friend of mine and Local Aloha PGA section champ/PGA Aloha section player of the year Hunter Larson gets his first Tour start this week. He's got my rooting interest. This tournament also has a special place in my heart. Growing up on the Big Island my Aunt living on Oahu would fly me over and we'd go to the tournament to follow the pros. One of my favorite golf memories growing up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Creedo77 said:

If the DP guys really cared about playing on the PGA Tour then they all would be in Hawaii. They aren’t and that’s a bad look. 

The bogus “alliance” between the two tours has caused this issue. An issue that was created by LIV. 

I disagree with what your arguing about but I’m biased because I’m in Hawaii and my guy can’t get in because of this situation. I’ll also disagree that these 10 DP players are more “accomplished” than any other KFT players. The OWGR points are inflated for the DP events and even Asian Tour events for that matter

Stanger got 1 of 2 KFT Finals exemptions. There’s 2 available every week apart from the elevated fields 

I'm agnostic on the value of the DPWT alliance but agree with you on what forced it, but in either case neither is worth arguing here (and the latter bit shouldn't pollute this thread). 

I also agree that this is a BS situation caused by the Tour. You give a bunch of KFT guys the impression or outright statement that they're gonna have a slot in a field, they fly halfway across an ocean, and then you pull the rug? Terrible, no matter the cause. 

Regarding the relative value of the DPWT vs KFT (vs Asian Tour) and the accomplishments from those tours, there's going to be a lot of subjectivity there. I would think that if you're ranking the field strength of the various tours, DPWT would be stronger fields than KFT. And that the OWGR is designed to reflect that. You may disagree, and think the OWGR for the DPWT is "inflated" i.e. not accurate regarding the field strength relative to the KFT. Perhaps OWGR is a terrible system, but at the moment it's about all we have to rank golfers who play primarily on different tours. 

Either way, I don't want to spend the rest of the weekend arguing it. The time has come for the KFT guys and the DPWT guys who are in the field to settle it on the course... Sorry that your guy missed out on the opportunity 😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peak said:

Is the 18th generally a driver off the deck hole for these guys or did Chris, Si Woo and Hideki just decide to provide entertainment for us? 😄

The course is 7000 yards. Now, with that wind imagine playing a nerf golf ball.

The Pros would look ridiculous, and we know the PGAT  doesn't like their product looking ridiculous.

• Like 1

10 holes to make a par. 90 watchIMG_2831.jpeg.b05e81044c68d5d855987251a2c866e7.jpeg

• Sad 1

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

39 minutes ago, Chopper Dave said:

10 holes to make a par. 90 watchIMG_2831.jpeg.b05e81044c68d5d855987251a2c866e7.jpeg

quad 8 on 14…..+15 with 4 to play…yikes

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹