2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Club of Georgia

kobe123

Never played the course's myself, but their reputation as one of the many high end clubs in Atlanta area is very good.  Hear great things about conditions, practice facility, etc.  Like everything in Atlanta, commute/traffic will make or break a club experience for you.  If you're living in town and driving up to Alpharetta, its a lot of windshield time to get in 9 or 18.  But if you live local to the club, that is ideal.  I am a member of a club also in north Atlanta area, its not the best course around but only 10 minutes from my house.  I hear a few of retired NBA players are members there, Georgia Tech use's it also as their "home course".  So again credibility is very good as a high end club in the area.  They might be on a wait list too, that is common these days in Atlanta plus initiation fees have doubled/tripled in some places.

1 hour ago, Drock25 said:

Never played the course's myself, but their reputation as one of the many high end clubs in Atlanta area is very good.  Hear great things about conditions, practice facility, etc.  Like everything in Atlanta, commute/traffic will make or break a club experience for you.  If you're living in town and driving up to Alpharetta, its a lot of windshield time to get in 9 or 18.  But if you live local to the club, that is ideal.  I am a member of a club also in north Atlanta area, its not the best course around but only 10 minutes from my house.  I hear a few of retired NBA players are members there, Georgia Tech use's it also as their "home course".  So again credibility is very good as a high end club in the area.  They might be on a wait list too, that is common these days in Atlanta plus initiation fees have doubled/tripled in some places.

I'm looking at potentially moving outside of the Sandy Springs area, potentially Roswell.

Edited by kobe123

1 hour ago, hollabachgt said:

Best course in that area is probably Rivermont, although Dunwoody isn't a bad option either.

A client is a member at Rivermont and I played there with him back in September. I really liked it. Not a pushover by any means. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Just left the area (Roswell) after living there for two years. We sold our house last week and were thrilled to leave. Hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Some advice as it relates to golf based on my experience. If you're living north of Atlanta, which it sounds like you will be, getting east and west across 400 is a nightmare most of the time. I would factor that into your golf decision.

As for Rivermont. Played it once and really enjoyed the course. Quality layout, good conditions. But, if you like to practice, the practice facilities are not good at all. Also be aware that weekend tee time availability is supposedly quite the ordeal. My understanding is that you have to submit an email request early in the week for your group and then the pro shop sends out a tee sheet later in the week. I was also told the membership was pretty cliquey in terms of meeting people and finding a game.

Whatever you do, avoid the ClubCorp privates. I made the mistake of joining Atlanta National. It was absolutey awful, so after a year I transferred my membership to Brookfield, which was very close to my house. It was even worse. And both were running about $700 a month for dues. Disgraceful operations and I heard qually bad things from members at Laurel Springs, Polo, and The Manor.

Never played at the Golf Club but heard it was very nice. One other option I would consider possibly is Berkeley Hills if you end up living east of 400. Played an interclub match there and while there were a few quirky holes, conditions were good (brand new Champions Bermuda greens) and supposedly there are a lot of good players there and it's easy to find a game. Practice facilities were definitely better than Rivermont. Pretty affordable for the area also but not sure about wait list.

And not that we would go back to that area, but if we did we would choose Duluth/Johns Creek over living further west in Roswell (or Alpharetta/Marietta).

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Your individual commute/traffic management situation has a huge impact on your quality of life in greater Atlanta.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Tyrus Webb said:

Very good, not great.  Excellent practice facility and the previous assessment of decent, well-maintained courses is spot on.

Top quartile of Atlanta's second tier of privates.

What would you consider "great"?

I practice more than anything. I'm really wanting a really good wedge facility.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:13 AM, Tyrus Webb said:

Very good, not great.  Excellent practice facility and the previous assessment of decent, well-maintained courses is spot on.

Top quartile of Atlanta's second tier of privates.

Well said. 

Good place.  Good location.  Great clubhouse renovation.  2 courses which obviously is a big plus.  Conditions are good but not excellent.  I believe they host lots of outings.  I am 99.9% sure that this is a single owner club, so not member owned.  Keep in mind this is a GOLF club not a country club.  Windward Lake club has the tennis and pools (3), but will be a separate cost if you want to do family stuff.

Rivermont is hard.  Great club for good young players.  Lots of guys in their 20's that played college golf.  

edit:  Please note that it GCoG does offer tennis and swim and dining at Horseshoe Bend.  Also note that HB may as well be in another state during rush hour.  If you want to meet your family at the pool after golf it will be a 30 min drive.

Edited by david.c.w

Love the courses and always had a good time playing them. I think it would be a challenge to walk the course, if that matters to you) since there are some significant green to tee walks. Great clubhouse and really large men's grille. I had no idea it was on a small lake the first time I played there.

IMG_2023.jpg.c12426b66e59b6d8f1c67973ddac98fa.jpgIMG_2025.jpg.eca937778e6ed8b046074379c9136077.jpg

On 1/12/2024 at 11:31 AM, david.c.w said:

Well said. 

Good place.  Good location.  Great clubhouse renovation.  2 courses which obviously is a big plus.  Conditions are good but not excellent.  I believe they host lots of outings.  I am 99.9% sure that this is a single owner club, so not member owned.  Keep in mind this is a GOLF club not a country club.  Windward Lake club has the tennis and pools (3), but will be a separate cost if you want to do family stuff.

Rivermont is hard.  Great club for good young players.  Lots of guys in their 20's that played college golf.  

edit:  Please note that it GCoG does offer tennis and swim and dining at Horseshoe Bend.  Also note that HB may as well be in another state during rush hour.  If you want to meet your family at the pool after golf it will be a 30 min drive.

I called Rivermont, entry and monthly dues are very reasonable, just 1 year wait list.

• 4 weeks later...