2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How do we feel about Hailey Davidson

How do you all feel about Hailey Davidson (a trans women) potentially earning a tour card? I know the LPGA hasn’t had to deal with this yet but I’m just curious what the reaction from players/fans would be if Hailey potentially makes it on tour and wins an event or 2? (I know this might get locked but let’s keep it clean, looking for an objective discussion)

https://nypost.com/2024/01/20/sports/trans-golfer-hailey-davidson-wins-womens-tournament-increasing-chances-to-lpga-qualifier/amp/

Edited by stinger_gc

4 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

How do you all feel about Hailey Davidson (a trans women) potentially earning a tour card? I know the LPGA hasn’t had to deal with this yet but I’m just curious what the reaction from players/fans would be if Hailey potentially makes it on tour and wins an event or 2? (I know this might get locked but let’s keep it clean, looking for an objective discussion)

https://nypost.com/2024/01/20/sports/trans-golfer-hailey-davidson-wins-womens-tournament-increasing-chances-to-lpga-qualifier/amp/

She's not really as close to earning a tour card as the nypost article makes it sound like. 

Transgender woman wins mini-tour event, still faces long road to LPGA (usatoday.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It depends if LPGA wants to be an at-birth female tour going forward. Theres a very large amount of male golfers who aren't good enough to qualify for men's golf tours, but are good enough to be competitive on female tours. This may incentive them to meet the metrics to be legally female so they can play professional golf. LPGA could see a double digit number of them dominating their leaderboards. I leave this to others to determine if this is good or bad.

Edited by JD3
  • Like 2

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

11 hours ago, woahnelly said:

"Step Closer" to making to the LPGA in this instance is like a graduating 5th grader becoming a step closer to earning a PhD - still along way to go 

10 hours ago, North Texas said:

She's not really as close to earning a tour card as the nypost article makes it sound like. 

Transgender woman wins mini-tour event, still faces long road to LPGA (usatoday.com)

I don't think the LPGA, was the focal point. I'm guessing it's women's golf at every level, obviously the LPGA being the final destination.

5 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

You'll likely get as many honest replies here, as you would from the girls who are playing against Hailey, probably none. It's too easy to become labeled as transphobic, which could lead to cancelations in today's society. 

Personally, I don't agree with it.

That’s a good way to put it. The article said hailey  lost 15 mph of swing speed. The avg tour pro is around 115mph and the avg lpga pro is around 94. I’m curious how hailey sizes up against the other lpga pros 

While there have been a lot more instances elsewhere of trans athletes moving from men's to women's divisions and having a far easier time, golf is very different than sports like swimming or weight lifting where the inherent differences in musculature provide an outsized advantage. No one is simply showing up hitting it longer on any golf tour without a strong total game and doing well. 

Still, if all other parts of their game are equal, the natural advantage in strength someone born male has over a genetic woman is simple fact and makes for an unbalanced starting point. If that difference weren't a concern then the women's tours wouldn't be women only and top women would be playing on the men's tours for the higher payouts every chance they got.

I don't see it as fair for genetic women to have to play against others who for all intents and purposes have had a lifetime of testosterone injection when their bodies are most able to put it to use to grow more muscle, denser bone, and a wider frame, all of which will mostly remain after they've transitioned. Admittedly, it gets very difficult to set a reasonable cutoff for when someone's experienced too much of that kind of growth to play against genetic women. Current sports are all over the place about what's required to play in a non assigned-at-birth gender division, leading to everything from people abusing it for social awareness to women who trained their whole lives losing out on awards, etc., to people who are still genetically & physically men. 

I do think it's something the women's tours will have to address directly at some point, though. What that decision looks like I can't say, but I doubt it will fall on the side of letting anyone with heavy physical advantages put them to use by transitioning later in life. The people negatively affected by that might not like it but it's necessary to keep the playing field reasonably level. This came up in Australia last year IIRC and no specific changes have come down that I know of.  

It's going to be a mess if all the major women's tours don't come up with a uniform set of rules regarding this.

• Like 2

I have a couple takes I feel are reasonable. 

#1 - This should always be up to the Tour itself and by that I mean the players themselves. I not going to tell anyone how to set their rules. That's precisely their business so long as it's fair to those that qualify. This obviously extends to qualification itself but if you can exclude men outright, I suppose you could extend that to include Trans people, too, who are in this case a separate group from the traditional female as it's historically been conceived to this point. 

In essence, it's not about deciding whether Trans people are "real" men/women but how they classify when it comes to sport because their position is obviously unique and TBD. 

#2 - Sports are entertainment, particularly when it comes to women's golf. Image means more than we let on and the image of the LPGA is very obviously in the direction of young, athletic females. The product is sold to a viewership which is mostly just male golfers. I contend there's nothing creepy about it as I think we all admire the players for how they play but I don't think it would be good business for the LPGA--as a source of entertainment--to begin to disrupt what is a precisely dialed-in image that the viewership wants. 

In essence, the viewership will have a lot to say and if the LPGA were to move against viewership, that wouldn't make financial sense either. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

On 1/22/2024 at 2:36 PM, MelloYello said:

I have a couple takes I feel are reasonable. 

#1 - This should always be up to the Tour itself and by that I mean the players themselves. I not going to tell anyone how to set their rules. That's precisely their business so long as it's fair to those that qualify. This obviously extends to qualification itself but if you can exclude men outright, I suppose you could extend that to include Trans people, too, who are in this case a separate group from the traditional female as it's historically been conceived to this point. 

In essence, it's not about deciding whether Trans people are "real" men/women but how they classify when it comes to sport because their position is obviously unique and TBD. 

#2 - Sports are entertainment, particularly when it comes to women's golf. Image means more than we let on and the image of the LPGA is very obviously in the direction of young, athletic females. The product is sold to a viewership which is mostly just male golfers. I contend there's nothing creepy about it as I think we all admire the players for how they play but I don't think it would be good business for the LPGA--as a source of entertainment--to begin to disrupt what is a precisely dialed-in image that the viewership wants. 

In essence, the viewership will have a lot to say and if the LPGA were to move against viewership, that wouldn't make financial sense either. 

Wrt point #1, is solely up to LPGA to decide? You can bet there would be massive legal challenges if they tried to ban transgender based on them solely deciding who's female or not.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

On 1/23/2024 at 7:47 AM, Seamus_McDuff said:

I support the idea of a poll taken by the players. I just hope it's done anonymously so nobody has to suffer any sort of backlash for their opinion.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2024 at 7:26 PM, ChronicSlicer said:

I support the idea of a poll taken by the players. I just hope it's done anonymously so nobody has to suffer any sort of backlash for their opinion.

Easy to do. I feel in some sort of weird ways this would be good for the LPGA tour as it would draw more eyeballs 

I very much believe golf should be open to everyone but when it comes to competition I think this is wrong.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 10.5° @ 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 65 X
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3w 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70 X

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 4 23° @ 22° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5 - P Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 50.08F, 54.10S & 58.08M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

8 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

Easy to do. I feel in some sort of weird ways this would be good for the LPGA tour as it would draw more eyeballs 

Make no mistake if the LPGA ever has to make a decision regarding this topic and choose to ban players like Hailey, it will receive more eyeballs, unfortunately it will probably be in the form of protesters. 

On 1/26/2024 at 7:00 PM, ChronicSlicer said:

Make no mistake if the LPGA ever has to make a decision regarding this topic and choose to ban players like Hailey, it will receive more eyeballs, unfortunately it will probably be in the form of protesters. 

According to the post above polling from players about the nature of the tour will be a deciding factor. They will also be using already established guidelines about testosterone levels as a baseline, so it's not all arbitrary. 

I agree protestors could be an issue, but not much to be done about that. It will mostly be at smaller events and less likely to draw real attention so less likely to get disruptive.

The bigger outcome is that the decision from one sports entity or another is likely going to end up in some legal decisions that everyone will have to abide by. Going to be a shame if things end up where the majority of competitors have to contest events against a handful of others whose natural advantages they'll never have a chance to compete with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd say a categorical NO to this. I'd certainly check out if a single transgender athlete were allowed to compete in the LPGA.

I would have no objection to transgender athletes (male to female, or female to male) competing in men's events. In fact, men's sport could be relabeled as "Open Category" to reflect this.

On a club level I don't see any major issues, until it comes to non-handicapped events. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 6:47 AM, JFCSr said:

I think it is wrong - period.  As late as 2015 Davidson was a "man".  He is not a woman and I believe the LPGA has made a mistake allowing a man to compete against women.  The other women could make this a really easy solution if they all refused to play against men.  

Agree 100%.  I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but this has to do with human biology, hormones and all that jazz.  I believe that only women born biologically female at birth should be allowed to compete on the LPGA Tour or any female golf tour. 

• Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

8 hours ago, st1800e said:

Current LPGA Gender Policy.

https://www.lpga.com/gender-policy

I disagree with their policy but respect their decision.  I'm guessing the LPGA will allow Hailey to play on tour according to their policy then provided she qualifies in the future. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...