2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Iron Extensions

Anyone extended adult irons for their junior?  Son is 12 and might need 1/4-1/2 inch going into the new season.  Clubs were fitted and ordered direct from OEM when purchased.  Well aware of going down the rabbit hole of swing weight affects, etc.. but just wondering anyones experience doing this.  Thanks!

Edited by Fairway28

My son was just fit and the fitter specifically said that if we needed to add up to 1/2" shaft extensions we could ... likely by the time he needs more than the 1/2" he will be moving from R flex to S flex anyway so at that point I'll just have him fit again for new shafts.  Planning to play these heads (P7MC's/MG4's) until he wears out the grooves.

5 hours ago, MD_ said:

My son was just fit and the fitter specifically said that if we needed to add up to 1/2" shaft extensions we could ... likely by the time he needs more than the 1/2" he will be moving from R flex to S flex anyway so at that point I'll just have him fit again for new shafts.  Planning to play these heads (P7MC's/MG4's) until he wears out the grooves.

Happy with the P7MC’s? We are going to look at them soon. Thinking combo set with the P770 going in. 

Thx for replies....  Clubs are a yr old.. i230.... trying to make it another season with them, so was just wondering again if anyone else went through anything major obstacles by doing this.  Again, looking probably no more than half inch.. then new clubs end of yr.  Will lies change enough to adjust? grip change? add tape anywhere?  Maybe over thinking this? Thanks

16 hours ago, Movingday said:

Happy with the P7MC’s? We are going to look at them soon. Thinking combo set with the P770 going in. 

So far the P7MC's are great, they've only been hit indoors in our home sim and at his coach's sim so yet to hit off grass (pretty much impossible around here this time of year with weather). Went through the whole P7 line with the fitting process (fitter is also his coach) 790's were probably too heavy, he definitely hit the 770's better than the 90's but there really wasn't much difference between the 770's and the MC's (at least in 7i)...the coach side took over maybe a little on the fitting recommendations and steered us toward the full bag of MC's (actually wanted to consider a MC/MB hybrid with the MB's in 9/PW) as he felt long term he'd better be able to grow/improve into these heads.

I bought a cheap shaft extension from Dick's.  A piece of steel swaged at both ends for $2.49.  Cut it in half and you get two extensions!

The cutting process seems to make the ends a little thicker, so I had to trim the end off to fit inside the 0.555 inch hole of my Odyssey Junior Putter.

The Junior putter has a light head and a length of 29.5 inches.  I'm extending mine to 31 inches to have the option of using a light headed putter. 

Most putter brands only go down to 32 inches so buying isn't an option. 

A winter project to keep me busy while it is too dangerous to go outside and play in the ice covered lawn. 

Every year it seems one of my friends has a slip and fall accident.  I do know how to fall being a fully recovered stroke survivor but why risk it?

If you use golf epoxy to attach the extensions to steel shafts it should be very easy to heat up the shafts with a propane torch and pull them out.

Golf epoxy can be removed using boiling water according to stories I've read.

I was able to blow off the grip with compressed air without damaging it.

I also bought some spare Pure putter grips for 80% off in case I damaged the old one.  I bought four putter grips and 13 undersized grips for just $50.

They are having going out of business sale and may still have product that Juniors can use.

https://www.puregrips.com/

Edited by ShortGolfer

5 hours ago, Fairway28 said:

Thx for replies....  Clubs are a yr old.. i230.... trying to make it another season with them, so was just wondering again if anyone else went through anything major obstacles by doing this.  Again, looking probably no more than half inch.. then new clubs end of yr.  Will lies change enough to adjust? grip change? add tape anywhere?  Maybe over thinking this? Thanks

When our son went to adult clubs, we had to switch clubs every year, more so because of his increase in swing speed rather than the increase in his height.   Also, I've always ordered slightly longer shafts, fully aware boys grow like weeds between ages 12~16

Will you be doing the work yourself or dropping it off at a shop?

If later, how much do you expect to spend by lengthening the set?  

For example, our local shop charges $7 to lengthen.  Add $10 for the new grip and $3 for installation, it's $20 per club.

Multiply that by 13 clubs, you have a little under $300.   

For every 1/2" lengthening, you raise the toe by 0.5 degrees and increase the swing weight by 3 points.

Not saying you have to go out and buy new clubs, but sometimes it's just not worth it and you're not saving money in the long run.

Edited by mrshinsa

9 hours ago, MD_ said:

So far the P7MC's are great, they've only been hit indoors in our home sim and at his coach's sim so yet to hit off grass (pretty much impossible around here this time of year with weather). Went through the whole P7 line with the fitting process (fitter is also his coach) 790's were probably too heavy, he definitely hit the 770's better than the 90's but there really wasn't much difference between the 770's and the MC's (at least in 7i)...the coach side took over maybe a little on the fitting recommendations and steered us toward the full bag of MC's (actually wanted to consider a MC/MB hybrid with the MB's in 9/PW) as he felt long term he'd better be able to grow/improve into these heads.

What clubs was he in prior to the MCs?

When my son started golf, he was 10 and the typical height.  At 12, he grew, so I had my builder add an inch to all irons and had him readjust swing weight.  He played those irons until he was 18.

Just make sure the builder knows what he/she is doing.  I had him use steel, but heard some people use graphite.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I've heard extensions past 1/2" can cause some problems but don't relaly have anything to base that off of besides word of mouth (not really sure what problems it could case besides SW) and then I'd make sure to invest in some lead tape and a SW scale honestly.  One of the best things I've done for my game is getting my irons where I like them SW wise.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 1/29/2024 at 11:38 AM, Bizzle80 said:

I extended daughters Flynn irons 3". Told her I put new grips on and she didnt even notice the added length... that being said they had gotten very undersized prior to extension.

That's a whole lot of extension and I'd be worry about something like this, but to each their own.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/watch-european-tour-pros-driver-breaks-mid-swing-at-australian-pga-championship/

@mrshinsa They say that 3" is about the max to extend a club. did not seem to bother her at all...and save me from a complete extra set. Shes moved on to longer clubs now, and we will probably have to extend those a bit in 6 months until she hits 5' and gets a proper fitting...

also...I wasn't terribly worried about her breaking  a club at 9yo...