Chowtime during a round - unconventional lunch like Tiger's In-N-Out burger

Golfbit2X

I read about Tiger's lunch preference for In-N-Out burger  (https://talksport.com/sport/1750443/tiger-woods-burger-genesis-invitational/) which I'm assuming came after completing the front nine.

That was a cool arrangement for the PGA Tour/tournament organizer to have In-N-Out on site.

I've also been fortunate enough to have partaken a good lunch of freshly grilled burgers with all the trimmings a few times last year as part of my golf league tracks across NY state.

For non-tournament rounds, I prefer to try other unconventional lunch items that suit the winter season like heavy soup (Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Gumbo) in an insulated flask to retain heat or chicken salad wrap.

I'm curious to find out about other golfers' experiences whether it's what you bring or what your tournament/charity event provided.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

It was during the pro-am - yep, he eats like anyone else sometimes. Plenty of food at tour events. Love In-N-Out! 

Regular play? Lunch is for before or after a round, not during (no tradition of halfway houses anywhere around here) but sometimes will grab a snack (clubhouse adjacent to the 10th tee). 

I rarely eat anything at the golf course. A thermos of iced tea works fine. Steak pie at the halfway food truck at The Old Course most memorable for me and I met the goats at Lahinch after getting a sausage roll during the round - next they were eyeing my bag. 

IMG_6451.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It was during the pro-am - yep, he eats like anyone else sometimes. Plenty of food at tour events. Love In-N-Out! 

Regular play? Lunch is for before or after a round, not during (no tradition of halfway houses anywhere around here) but sometimes will grab a snack (clubhouse adjacent to the 10th tee). 

I rarely eat anything at the golf course. A thermos of iced tea works fine. Steak pie at the halfway food truck at The Old Course most memorable for me and I met the goats at Lahinch after getting a sausage roll during the round - next they were eyeing my bag. 

IMG_6451.jpeg

That's cool with the goats on the course... are they used to cut down on the grass?

We have one nine hole course (Goat Hill) in the island that I know of that does this with goats too.

I participated in 2 different golf leagues last year and the tournament director from the other golf league was a little bit more innovative in his approach with managing tournaments. 

One of his enhancements is he made arrangements to have the burger grilling station in an area adjacent to the 9th hole to minimize delays and allow us to grab freshly grilled burgers before heading off to the back nine. 

It only happened a couple of times,  usually at private tracks but it was effective as it didn't cause too much delays and I considered it a treat to be able to munch down on freshly grilled burgers in between nines.  

• Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

24 minutes ago, Golfbit2X said:

That's cool with the goats on the course... are they used to cut down on the grass?

We have one nine hole course (Goat Hill) in the island that I know of that does this with goats too.

I participated in 2 different golf leagues last year and the tournament director from the other golf league was a little bit more innovative in his approach with managing tournaments. 

One of his enhancements is he made arrangements to have the burger grilling station in an area adjacent to the 9th hole to minimize delays and allow us to grab freshly grilled burgers before heading off to the back nine. 

It only happened a couple of times,  usually at private tracks but it was effective as it didn't cause too much delays and I considered it a treat to be able to munch down on freshly grilled burgers in between nines.  

Sounds like someone knows how to treat people right!

The goats have lived there forever and part of their logo so I think more like “pets” these days, but they definitely feed off the course - it was fun to actually see them and interact - friendly goats!

• Thanks 1

I see a decent number of courses lately having food trucks come on site for scrambles. Seems to go over really well and they tend to pick places that have relatively healthy but filling options with lots of fresh trimmings. Best looks have been Mexican with Tex-Mex extras but more traditional cooking and good BBQ.

It's sad how rare it is these days to find courses with a good grill or restaurant outside of places on the very high end. Wasn't hard not too long ago to find somewhere with a really good menu or a few signature items like amazing burgers with toppings & sides and tasty wraps or clubs. Hard to get a full sit down going in the middle of a round now as well with tee sheets packed like they are. 

• Thanks 1

We hardly ever stop for food at the turn but when playing at home (we have a private cart) we always have some smoked almonds and beef jerky on board and some cheese slices and crackers.

Sometimes we'll toss some summer sausage slices in the cooler and lately I've been cooking up some chicken nuggets in the air fryer to toss in a ziplock bag to throw in there as well.

Obviously not the healthiest of options but then neither are the three or four beers on the back nine!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

On 2/16/2024 at 10:56 AM, PuffyC said:

Not nearly enough goats on courses IMO. Pretty tasty too, although I generally don't like to eat during a round. 

Yeah, most courses close to me are definitely bring-your-own-goat. Though several have some pretty yummy looking ducks and geese.😂

Probably half the courses I play don't have much for food at the break. I'll usually bring cashews, and an apple or banana to munch during the round, and a sandwich or a couple energy bars after 9. I do know some guys that don't eat at all, but I do a lot better when I have at least a little fuel during a round. The fact that I walk whenever I can probably adds to it ... walking six or seven miles does burn some energy). 

There is one local course that is kinda known amongst it's regulars for having Nathan's hog dogs in a little shack at the turn. I ordinarily never eat hot dogs, but there's just something about the taste of them on a golf course (or also at a baseball game) that is just perfect.

Best I've ever seen is a course in Florida (if memory serves), that has those newer "intelligent" golf carts I'm starting to see around. GPS built into the cart. Convenient because it shows distances on a screen in the middle of the cart. A little weird sometimes because it largely replaces rangers. It beeps and actually puts the brakes on if you get within 10 feet of a green, and starts doing an occasional beep, and flashing a brief message on the screen if you fall too far behind the expected pace of play. But on the tee box at the 8th hole it displays the entire clubhouse menu, with the number. You order at the beginning of eight, and the food is simply waiting after nine. Pretty smart marketing.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

4 hours ago, bobfoster said:

But on the tee box at the 8th hole it displays the entire clubhouse menu, with the number. You order at the beginning of eight, and the food is simply waiting after nine. Pretty smart marketing.

My friend's wife runs a golf course where they had carts with a similar ordering system.  She hated it, and abandoned it because:

People would order an ice-water from the farthest tee-box from the club-house.  Sending a valuable employee on a 25 min. run for a free glass of water wan't too profitable.  A poorly received order (for whatever reason) would blow-back on her, her staff, and the club reputation. 

People would send back a sandwich from half-mile away and said it took too long or wasn't quite hot enough.  Its' very easy to be an a****** with no face-to-face reality. 

Your system sounds somewhat better, but on-course food/drink ordering for delivery is for the birds.

10 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

My friend's wife runs a golf course where they had carts with a similar ordering system.  She hated it, and abandoned it because:

People would order an ice-water from the farthest tee-box from the club-house.  Sending a valuable employee on a 25 min. run for a free glass of water wan't too profitable.  A poorly received order (for whatever reason) would blow-back on her, her staff, and the club reputation. 

People would send back a sandwich from half-mile away and said it took too long or wasn't quite hot enough.  Its' very easy to be an a****** with no face-to-face reality. 

Your system sounds somewhat better, but on-course food/drink ordering for delivery is for the birds.

Aahhh, but different animals altogether. The course wasn't running a delivery service. There was no ordering a water on the sixth hole and having some employee need to drive a cart a half mile to deliver it.

They did have the usual couple of cart girls roaming the course with beverages and snacks. But no one "delivered" from the restaurant. You ordered on 8, and picked it up (fresh and hot) at a take-out window at the turn. Does a couple things - first, increases food orders (it basically actively markets food with naturally great looking pictures to a captive audience in carts - suspect a lot of golfers make "why not?" orders), and it also makes it both really convenient for players as well as being really good for pace of play. I've played at far more than a few courses over the years that had almost perpetual bottlenecks at the turn - due to people ordering burgers when they got there and waiting for them to be cooked. 

I thought the course pulled off something really good. The players love it, the course managers/rangers love it, and I'll bet it really helps food sales. What you are talking about is entirely different. That idea actually sounds kinda ridiculous, surprised anyone even tried something so obviously doomed to fail. 

• Like 1

I was once paired up with a guy who pulled out two Big Macs from his bag on the tenth tee box and ate them both. They had been in his bag for the front nine because he was saving them for lunch. One of the weirdest things I’ve ever witnessed on the course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

39 minutes ago, tips09 said:

I was once paired up with a guy who pulled out two Big Macs from his bag on the tenth tee box and ate them both. They had been in his bag for the front nine because he was saving them for lunch. One of the weirdest things I’ve ever witnessed on the course. 

Cold Big Macs? I think I would literally throw up (has been years - eating McDonalds actually makes me slightly nauseous ... my body has always seemed to be puzzled as to whether it is actually food).

Have a friend that says McDonalds is really profitable because efficiencies of scale. They long ago invented a secret "McSubstance". They produce it by the ton. They cut it into circles and paint it brown to make hamburgers. Shave it thin and paint it green to make those terrible pickles. Stamp out squares and dip them in yellow dye to make that oddly plastic tasting cheese. Cut it into strips to make french fries. Cut it into little circles and bread it to make chicken nuggets. Freeze it and toss it into a blender with milk to make shakes. Subject it to high heat and shape it in industrial factory molds it to make the tables and chairs, and arches in front of the restaurants. But it is all just "McSubstance". 🤣

Oddly, this makes a weirdly surrealistic sort of sense. 

• Like 1

Only thing I'll eat mid-round is a Clif Bar. That chocolate chip one.

Prior? Depends on the tee time. If it's before 11AM, I'll do some manner of trad breakfast. After; club sandwich. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

12 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Cold Big Macs? I think I would literally throw up (has been years - eating McDonalds actually makes me slightly nauseous ... my body has always seemed to be puzzled as to whether it is actually food).

Have a friend that says McDonalds is really profitable because efficiencies of scale. They long ago invented a secret "McSubstance". They produce it by the ton. They cut it into circles and paint it brown to make hamburgers. Shave it thin and paint it green to make those terrible pickles. Stamp out squares and dip them in yellow dye to make that oddly plastic tasting cheese. Cut it into strips to make french fries. Cut it into little circles and bread it to make chicken nuggets. Freeze it and toss it into a blender with milk to make shakes. Subject it to high heat and shape it in industrial factory molds it to make the tables and chairs, and arches in front of the restaurants. But it is all just "McSubstance". 🤣

Oddly, this makes a weirdly surrealistic sort of sense. 

Yes cold Big Macs… this particular guy smoked 3-4 joints on the front 9. I thought he was just joking around after the 4th hole when he said “I could really go for a Big Mac right now. “ The wife and I had a blast playing golf with him he was one of a kind that’s for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

I generally don’t eat during a round.  I do keep a couple pop tarts in the bag in case of emergency, used to do a PBJ, but always gets messy and if I didn’t eat usually get tossed and I don’t like throwing out food.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

In-N-Out may be a possible source. At least it wasn't COVID. 

Anyway, my wife has strong feelings about In-N-Out's burger. She thinks that it's way overrated.

1 hour ago, Golfbit2X said:

Anyway, my wife has strong feelings about In-N-Out's burger. She thinks that it's way overrated.

It is overrated IMO. Not to say it isn’t decent. Just not what ppl have built it up to be. I have two is close proximity to my house and pass by one of em fairly regularly. ALWAYS a big line at the drive-thru. Fairly often in the 20-30 car deep range. Crazy

• Like 1

In the late 90s a friend and I got paired up with two guys from Milwaukee.  These 2 could have been extras in Kingpin, bowling shirts, combovers and all.  Anyway, about halfway through the round they pull out a huge bag of cheese curds.  Now this was July/August in Utah.  Easily 90+ degrees.  Those things were in their bag for at least 2 hours before they started to eat em.  How they did not have to run for the restroom after that bag I have no idea.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:54 PM, Golfbit2X said:

I think its the most overrated fast food place, people up here in the NW go crazy for it. There is one that opened within 1 1/2 hrs from where I live and there was a line that seemed like it went forever. 

• Like 1

Had heard about In-N-Out for what seems like forever but had never been near one until a trip to Palm Springs fourteen or fifteen years ago.

Was so excited to finally get to try it and then......

Thought it totally sucked.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

12 hours ago, saebaebae said:

I think its the most overrated fast food place, people up here in the NW go crazy for it. There is one that opened within 1 1/2 hrs from where I live and there was a line that seemed like it went forever. 

I see your in-n-out and add Chik-fil-a. Again, it’s decent enough. But the hype is totally overblown IMO.

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vernon said:

Had heard about In-N-Out for what seems like forever but had never been near one until a trip to Palm Springs fourteen or fifteen years ago.

Was so excited to finally get to try it and then......

Thought it totally sucked.

I had the same experience w/White Castle. We don’t have em out here and ya hear about it. First trip to Chicago and we sought one out. Was pretty excited and ordered a bunch of the little burgers. Yuck, didn’t make it thru half of em. Quality on par with the likes of a Jack in the Box 🤢

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 3:33 PM, dashanks said:

Maybe really dry and served on a stale bun.

I know that place. you ought to see how they can kill breakfast.

Customer: Can I get two eggs, one over hard, like a rock, and the other one really runny. Also some wheat toast - burned hard and some frozen butter pats?

Waitress: I don't think we can make it that way.

Customer: Why not ? you did it yesterday.

• Haha 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry