2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Switching to graphite, MMT 80, Steelfiber 95 or 110?

Hello,

I am making the switch from steel to graphite. After a range session with the Steelfiber 115, I had zero elbow pain. That was the first time in years!

So, I’m looking to pull the trigger. 

I play PXG irons and will be picking up some 0311P gen 6. The MMT 80 are no upcharge. The SF 95/110 are 49 per club. I’d prefer to not spend extra, but also want to do it right, without being able to get fit as I live in a remote area in Texas. 

The 115 fc I hit today was a seamless transition. They no longer carry these and the gentleman on the phone said those would feel the harshest of the bunch. 

Looking for soft feel for my elbows and joints. Don’t need to necessarily pick up distance, but not opposed. But, prefer accuracy over distance. I live in Texas, so often flight shots if windy or high fade if it’s not and greens are fast. 

Currently playing Elevate Tour Stiff 117g in steel. 

Any feedback is appreciated. 

Edited by nospleen

The MMT shafts are nice for sure. Being in the 80g range, you will notice the difference but it won't last long. Maybe a few range sessions and few rounds. But you will quickly forget steel. You will want to change your wedges too so they are not significantly heavier than your irons. 

I went from dynamic gold x100 (130g) to 110g graphite and I will never play steel again. However, I was still playing s400 in my wedges and it was throwing my wedge play off which is my strongest part of my game. So I switched my wedges to graphite so they were close in weight. 

• Thanks 1

I haven’t played the exact graphite shafts you are looking at but hopefully some of this may help

last steel shafts were Modus 105S for comparison before pain in the elbows forced a switch to graphite. 

currently play 0317 cb with fc 115 F4

Previously played Callaway TCB with MMT 95S

Trialling Taylormade combo set with MMT 105S

Im surprised you got feedback that the FC 115 would be harsh. I find it one of the smoothest graphite shafts I’ve tried. The only drawback I’ve seen is that the longer irons 4&5 can balloon a bit which makes gapping to the 6 iron problematic. 

Liked the MMTs but found the 95 a bit too light, especially when hitting shorter iron 3/4 shots. Sometime struggle to feel the head, even after 2 years felt I was compromising and never fully adapted to the lighter weight. Even shifting from the Modus 105 to the MMT 95 this was noticeable so going from 117g to 80g looks a big step change. 

Enjoying the MMT 105s as has a good flight in the long irons but also feels right in the shorter irons. 

Right now for my swing (7 iron swing speed 80/85 mph) a graphite shaft in the 105-115 range seems to work best.  Also tried the Recoils and proffered the 110 over the 95 for the same reason. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

You mean the Aerotech Steelfiber FC115?

If so he's completely wrong - that shaft is a LOT softer than the i95 and i110.  It's a softer tip, much higher launching design than the i-series steelfibers.   That's what makes it a really good match for the steel shafts you're playing.

That means if the fc115 is a good fit,  the i95 and i110 will likely not be a good fit - unless maybe you drop down a a full flex. e.g. i95's in reg if you tried the fc115's in stiff.    And even then it would still be a very different shaft profile - so hard to say how well it might work out for you.   If it was a no charge upgrade I might say give it a try.  But with the upcharge it becomes a high risk extra cost - unless you can somehow find a place to demo the i95 reg and stiff flex.   Maybe a nearby pro shop with a fitting cart?.  It doesn't even have to be a PXG cart - any head from a different OEM will give you the opportunity to judge how the shaft will feel.

The profile of the MMT might be a better fit but if 115 gm shaft is what you're used to and a good fit, dropping down to an 80 gm shaft will most likely NOT be a good idea.   And weight is generally much more important than stiffness for the shaft selection.   If they had one of the variants of the MMT's available over 100 gm, I might say give that a try - but I wouldn't' recommend going with the 80's w/o being able to demo it first.   There is no guarantee you'll be able to adjust to such a large change in shaft weight at all - much less quickly.   Some people can do it quickly but they are more the exception than the rule.   Some people can go years without being able to adjust completely.  

So if you really want to do it "right" - you might have to get your shafts elsewhere and have the factory shafts replaced.

In my experience with these shafts, everything Stuart just said is correct.

SF110 is for sure a full flex strong and very tip stiff, but feels amazing and will play nothing like the 115FC

MMT is very smooth, especially at 105, no experience with it at lesser weights.

Avoid 80g shafts unless your health forces you to use them, the swingweights get way out of control and make "feeling" the face very difficult. 

I love PXG but as I have said over and over again, they have major issues in management.  No other company has a worse collection of shaft offerings to begin with AND half of the ones they offer are either very old or out of stock.  It makes no sense for a "premium" brand to have such a horrible shaft selection.  This is the ONLY reason many of us have stopped using their clubs. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

10 hours ago, nospleen said:

Hello,

I am making the switch from steel to graphite. After a range session with the Steelfiber 115, I had zero elbow pain. That was the first time in years!

So, I’m looking to pull the trigger. 

I play PXG irons and will be picking up some 0311P gen 6. The MMT 80 are no upcharge. The SF 95/110 are 49 per club. I’d prefer to not spend extra, but also want to do it right, without being able to get fit as I live in a remote area in Texas. 

The 115 fc I hit today was a seamless transition. They no longer carry these and the gentleman on the phone said those would feel the harshest of the bunch. 

Looking for soft feel for my elbows and joints. Don’t need to necessarily pick up distance, but not opposed. But, prefer accuracy over distance. I live in Texas, so often flight shots if windy or high fade if it’s not and greens are fast. 

Currently playing Elevate Tour Stiff 117g in steel. 

Any feedback is appreciated. 

Axiom 105 should be added to the list. I had the 105X for in my 2 iron and it’s very smooth and stable. Although if you wanted to go real light I think they make a 75g in stiff also. 

• Like 3

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

I've played all three with the MMT 80 stiff (hard stepped) as my current shaft in a set of Gen3 PXGs.  My next favorite, which I have in another PXG set, is the i95 stiff.  I previously played a combo set of i95 and i110 shafts in Ping S55 irons for ~7-8 years.  I'd agree that the FC115 is a completely different shaft - softer tip profile and higher spin than these other shafts.  I haven't played it extensively so my opinion is limited.  

For reference: my mid iron swing ranges from 82-91mph (stock ~87/88).  I play 7i to ~180 with my PXGs (slightly less with a more traditional set).

-When I was ordering my PXGs, I would've ordered a ~90g version of MMT if it was available.  The ballflight I've found with the PXG and MMT 80 has been transformational.  I've always had a hard time and lacked reliability in hitting the ball from right to left (lefty).  This combo for me is incredibly easy to hit and forgiving.  I've never felt like these balloon or spin too much - credit to the heads here, too.  I could understand someone saying these play a touch soft, though.  They are soft in the butt of the shaft and that is something I prefer.  I feel that the i95 plays ever so slightly firmer than the MMT 80 hardstepped x1.  I notice reduced weight but this is lessened for me as I play at +1" and D5 swingweight.  The lighter weight is not a bad thing - just something that may be different right away.

-i95/i110 Steelfibers are excellent shafts.  I do agree that they play 1/2 flex stiffer than the MMT.  I'd have no problem putting the i95 back in my bag.  There's a distinct kick/snap with the i95 that the i110, to me, does not have.  The i110 is a bit more work to swing and I tend to start playing a larger push/push draw with the heavier setups. 

The i95 and MMT will go slightly farther - I attribute this to a larger kick / ball speed rather than to less weight.  The i110 will provide similar yardages to steel shaft options.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for the feedback! What I hit yesterday were the Steelfiber fc 115 cw. I thought they felt great, but were not my normal spec. They were standard length and lie. I play +1/2” and 2 up. I’m 6’4” and my 8 iron in the PXG goes 175. Not sure I’d want to play a regular flex if I went to a Steelfiber. 

I may just have to hit these shafts in non PXG heads to at least get a feel. 

I played KBS tour with a Scratch SB-1 head, then played CFS Stiff with a Ping S55 for around 8 years. I had no issue with those, not sure if that helps. 

Thanks again!

Edited by nospleen

I made the switch over to graphite iron shafts a couple seasons ago and haven’t looked back. It took some testing of different shafts and I did try both the Steelfiber and MMT shafts. I ended up with the MMT shafts in my irons. They were both great feeling shafts that helped to all but eliminate my elbow pain I had developed which initiated the switch to graphite in the first place. I just personally preferred the feel of the MMT over the Steelfiber. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, nospleen said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! What I hit yesterday were the Steelfiber fc 115 cw. I thought they felt great, but were not my normal spec. They were standard length and lie. I play +1/2” and 2 up. I’m 6’4” and my 8 iron in the PXG goes 175. Not sure I’d want to play a regular flex if I went to a Steelfiber. 

I may just have to hit these shafts in non PXG heads to at least get a feel. 

I played KBS tour with a Scratch SB-1 head, then played CFS Stiff with a Ping S55 for around 8 years. I had no issue with those, not sure if that helps. 

Thanks again!

I have played SF i95, MMT, and now play Axiom in my PXG irons. They are all very good shafts but there are some differences. For me, the SF i95 are the stiffest feeling of the bunch, while the MMT would be the softest feeling. The Axiom would be in the middle and the best of both worlds with a great feel but very stable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Those SF Private Reserve shafts are different from the constant weight version i series, that so many people love.  First off, they are unitized shafts, not constant weight.  I suspect they are basically the same as the parallel tip i series shafts.  Just my opinion, but not worth $50 per upcharge.

I have MMT 80S in my PXG Gen3 XP's, and they feel good to me.  I usually play 95 gram shafts.  The swingweight was cranked up on my set, to help offset the low overall weight.  Works for me, however, I'll mirror what others are saying about moving from 115 grams shaft down to 80.  Before buying the set, I'd have a demo club made up.  Maybe you can find a single on eBay?  No need to worry about the head, focus on finding a club with the shaft your proper length.  I assume you play overlength considering your height.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I would not switch to graphite AND drop down 37g in shaft weight. Weight matters more than flex for the majority of golfers. I would stay within 15-20g of where you are for this initial move and definitely do a test if you can. It’s very individual how it goes. The Steelfiber fc115 is far from harsh. Not sure what that fitter’s statement is based on. But you know that because you’ve hit it. I would say see how close PXG can get to the shaft you like. To me the lighter MMT shafts feel a lot different from the MMT 125, the one I like best. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

After 15+ years playing PX 6.0 I switched to composite 5yrs ago.  Started with SF i110cw "S", in 2i-9i and i125cw S in PW, SW, LW for 2yrs.  Tested SF i95 S, but the bend did not work.  Following that, went to MMT 125S in 620 MB for nearly 2yrs.  Later switched to a combo of MMT 105S in long irons, and 125S in mid-short & MMT 125TX 8i in wedges, then only MMT 105S in 620 MB & CB sets. 

Next came MMT 95S in T100S 3i-PW, lasted months, too light in mid-short irons, until my new T100 irons arrived, installed MMT 85S now 95S in 3i-4i and MMT 105S in 5i-PW which work nicely.  Even have the MMT 105S scoring wedge shaft (113g) in PW.  My new T200 17' 2 iron has stout Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S.  MMT 125, 105, 95 and 85 stiff shafts are smooth, not soft.

Even though I still miss PX 6.0 (my favorite shaft), I won't be going back to steel anytime soon.  Thankfully, I don't need to use composite, just appreciate less wear and tear on my body.  What I learned from testing many different graphite shafts and settling on the above, only shafts with blended steel materials talk to my hands similarly to steel, plus swing weighting of D2/D4 is easy to reach.

Last weekend I hit the pur-dee-ist MMT 105S T100 9i to a 125yd Par 3 pin, ball hit behind the pin and spun back 5', pin high; missed the 10ft slider putt, but it was an easy par.

By the way, I have a few FC115 stiff shafts in storage that I tested, they were comparatively soft to MMT 105S.

Edited by Pepperturbo
Updated
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

@nospleen Nothing to worry about.  SF "i" is a shaft designation, as is "cw" = constant weight.  PXG resells mostly parallel tip shafts, easier for fitting, and less costly to stock.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

58 minutes ago, nospleen said:

If I were to just reshaft my 0311 P Gen 5, do you all have recommendations for where to purchase the shafts?

Reshaft to what?

I recently reshafted to these.  Best value in graphite shafts in the lightweight category (if you can live with the graphics.)  I'd do these before MMT 80.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386303474053

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

where does one demo or buy a MMT shaft to try out?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

18 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I recently reshafted to these.  Best shafts in the lightweight category (if you can live with the graphics.)  I do these before MMT 80.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386303474053

What do you like better about these, curious as to your thoughts. Will the set linked fit the PXG head? (Graphics aren’t ideal, but I’m not super picky on that)

Recommendations for my PXG 0311 forged wedges. I have a 56 and 60 and would need to reshaft those too. 

6 hours ago, Nessism said:

Those SF Private Reserve shafts are different from the constant weight version i series, that so many people love.  First off, they are unitized shafts, not constant weight.  I suspect they are basically the same as the parallel tip i series shafts.  Just my opinion, but not worth $50 per upcharge.

I have MMT 80S in my PXG Gen3 XP's, and they feel good to me.  I usually play 95 gram shafts.  The swingweight was cranked up on my set, to help offset the low overall weight.  Works for me, however, I'll mirror what others are saying about moving from 115 grams shaft down to 80.  Before buying the set, I'd have a demo club made up.  Maybe you can find a single on eBay?  No need to worry about the head, focus on finding a club with the shaft your proper length.  I assume you play overlength considering your height.

Aerotech private reserves are available as Constant weight.

* Im rotating right now between Axiom 105S and i95S and i95 PR regular flex and i80S and 110S.....

Edited by puresurfr

24 minutes ago, nospleen said:

What do you like better about these, curious as to your thoughts. Will the set linked fit the PXG head? (Graphics aren’t ideal, but I’m not super picky on that)

Recommendations for my PXG 0311 forged wedges. I have a 56 and 60 and would need to reshaft those too. 

Accra ICWT i95 are constant weight.  MMT 80 are unitized.  As you cut the MMT shorter, for shorter clubs, the weight decreases.  Accra ICWT shafts are all the same weight, wedges to long irons.

Accra ICWT i95 are heavier than MMT 80.  

The Accra's are cheaper, by a factor of roughly half.

Lastly, the Accra's are designed to allow the builder to tune the flex.  They have a low balance point, and long, thick tip, so you can tip them, even though constant weight, and taper point the shafts for taper tip shafts.  Wide versatility.  

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, puresurfr said:

Aerotech private reserves are available as Constant weight.

* Im rotating right now between Axiom 105S and i95S and i95 PR regular flex and i80S and 110S.....

I doubt that's the version PXG stocks.  Just like the MMT 80.  They are unitized.

2 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Accra ICWT i95 are constant weight.  MMT 80 are unitized.  As you cut the MMT shorter, for shorter clubs, the weight decreases.  Accra ICWT shafts are all the same weight, wedges to long irons.

Accra ICWT i95 are heavier than MMT 80.  

The Accra's are cheaper, but a factor of roughly half.

Lastly, the Accra's are designed to allow the builder to tune the flex.  They have a low balance point, and long, thick tip, so you can tip them, even though constant weight, and taper point the shafts for taper tip shafts.  Wide versatility.  

Thanks for that feedback. I’ve never built clubs, so not sure what the taper point part means at the end. I’m hoping it means they would fit my PXG without issue? 

My set is 5-GW, so would need to figure something out as the linked set is 4-P. Not sure if they make one for a GW. If not, I assume an extra PW shaft could be used, it would just play stiffer?

57 minutes ago, nospleen said:

Thanks for that feedback. I’ve never built clubs, so not sure what the taper point part means at the end. I’m hoping it means they would fit my PXG without issue? 

My set is 5-GW, so would need to figure something out as the linked set is 4-P. Not sure if they make one for a GW. If not, I assume an extra PW shaft could be used, it would just play stiffer?

You can tip cut the shafts, 1/2" or more, and install in 5-G.  This adjusts the flex and compensates for the soft stepping.  I installed them in my 5-G, but because I'm getting older, and don't swing very hard anymore, I didn't bother to tip them further.  The tips will go straight into a set of PXG heads.  Those shafts can also be used in taper tip heads, but it requires shaving the tips a little, which is no problem.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nessism said:

You can tip cut the shafts, 1/2" or more, and install in 5-G.  This adjusts the flex and compensates for the soft stepping.  I installed them in my 5-G, but because I'm getting older, and don't swing very hard anymore, I didn't bother to tip them further.  The tips will go straight into a set of PXG heads.  Those shafts can also be used in taper tip heads, but it requires shaving the tips a little, which is no problem.

Okay, so if I’m tracking, I can cut the 4 iron at the tip, but use in 5, rinse and repeat. (Then cut from the butt end for preferred length) I am sorry for all of the questions and appreciate all of your patience, and experience!!

14 minutes ago, nospleen said:

Okay, so if I’m tracking, I can cut the 4 iron at the tip, but use in 5, rinse and repeat. (Then cut from the butt end for preferred length) I am sorry for all of the questions and appreciate all of your patience, and experience!!

You got it.  Good job.  Further, you can tip each shaft more than 1/2", if you want.  Those shafts play a smig soft to flex, so if you swing hard, I'd tip them 1", before soft stepping.

Edited by Nessism
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nessism said:

You got it.  Good job.  Further, you can tip each shaft more than 1/2", if you want.  Those shafts play a smig soft to flex, so if you swing hard, I'd tip them 1", before hard stepping.

I’ve always heard CFS stiff (ping) play soft to flex, but I prefer that smooth feel and got on well with those. I definitely don’t like anything that feels like you have to work to load the shaft. So, I think I’ll stick with 1/2”, as I assume that maintains the original stiff flex?