Shogun

Sad to see it end. I know there's no source material for a 2nd season, but I'm sure some decent writers could keep this going. Plenty in the historical record to draw on.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 3/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, Ripper212 said:

Anyone watching this? First 2 episodes out on FX/Hulu. Phenomenal so far. 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. May be the next Game of Thrones.

Watched about 15 minutes of the first episode.  Looked really interesting but I hate subtitles.   I get that Japanese people speak Japanese, but I feel like you miss a lot in the way of cinematography and such when you have to be reading the words at the bottom of the screen.  

5 hours ago, dashanks said:

Watched about 15 minutes of the first episode.  Looked really interesting but I hate subtitles.   I get that Japanese people speak Japanese, but I feel like you miss a lot in the way of cinematography and such when you have to be reading the words at the bottom of the screen.  

Your loss. Best show I've seen all year. And FWIW my wife wants CC on all the time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dashanks said:

I really don't like dubbed shows. Maybe it's because I saw too many horribly dubbed Japanese monster movies when I was a kid. Lol. 

Something about the cadence and nuance of foreign languages that definitely gets lost when it's dubbed. I watch a ton of foreign TV shows and movies, so I guess I'm used to it. However, there are certainly times when the dialogue gets rapid paced, and I have to rewind to listen/read a 2nd time. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

My roommate (and erstwhile guitar player) for several years in and after college was heavily into the film curriculum at NCSU (Yes! We have that!) so I spent a lot of time watching a lot of weird movies with him (Germans are nuts, man) - so subtitles ain't even a big deal to me. I guess my approach is to quickly read the subtitles to get the gist then watch the performance. 

And man, the acting on this show was just amazing. Anna Sawai deserves all the awards. 

That said, we finally got to wrap it up with E10 tonight. Absolutely beautiful finale. The composition and framing of so many scenes was simply incredible. 

On every level, one of the best shows I've watched. S1 of True Detective still holds strongly at #1 ... this has been a close #2. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I really don't like dubbed shows. Maybe it's because I saw too many horribly dubbed Japanese monster movies when I was a kid. Lol. 

Something about the cadence and nuance of foreign languages that definitely gets lost when it's dubbed. I watch a ton of foreign TV shows and movies, so I guess I'm used to it. However, there are certainly times when the dialogue gets rapid paced, and I have to rewind to listen/read a 2nd time. 

But by the same token, don't you miss a lot of the nuance in the actor's faces because your eyes are on the bottom of the screen?   Totally agree about the monster movies, though.   Plus, I always wondered how the first guy to see the monster emerge from the ocean after centuries of lying dormant knows that it's name is Godzilla.

13 minutes ago, dashanks said:

always wondered how the first guy to see the monster emerge from the ocean after centuries of lying dormant knows that it's name is Godzilla.

Originally, he was Gojira, a combination of gorilla (gorira) and whale (kujira). So effectively a description. Godzilla was created by the Japanese distributors for the English translations. 

Dad loved monster movies. I remember they used to be on like TNT or some other cable channel on Sunday afternoons and we'd hang out and watch them after our Sunday morning rounds. Some of my favorite memories. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aenemated said:

My roommate (and erstwhile guitar player) for several years in and after college was heavily into the film curriculum at NCSU (Yes! We have that!) so I spent a lot of time watching a lot of weird movies with him (Germans are nuts, man) - so subtitles ain't even a big deal to me. I guess my approach is to quickly read the subtitles to get the gist then watch the performance. 

And man, the acting on this show was just amazing. Anna Sawai deserves all the awards. 

That said, we finally got to wrap it up with E10 tonight. Absolutely beautiful finale. The composition and framing of so many scenes was simply incredible. 

On every level, one of the best shows I've watched. S1 of True Detective still holds strongly at #1 ... this has been a close #2. 

Two things. Film 🎥 curriculum at NC State just doesn’t count (sorry) and amen on season 1 of True Detective! 😊

😜

4 hours ago, TiScape said:

amen on season 1 of True Detective!

Rust Cohle was loosely inspired by the writing of Thomas Ligotti; author of one of my favorite books; "The Conspiracy Against the Human Race." 

Ever wanna understand your pal ae? Read that book. 

• Like 1

Ya finally watched last episode, had to wait few days til dopey FX let’s watch it in demand and fast-forward all the commercials

What a brilliant adaptation of a book that must be immensely complex with details around all the characters, history, and plot lines 

They manage to make it simple to follow the flow and momentum of the story. Captured so much emotion, huge credit to the cast and writers/director. 

As far is a few subtitles, I understand some don’t like them but I don’t mind at all. You get the true character and intent of the real language. 

Will definitely have to get the book for some summer reading, It must delve deep into the history and depth of the characters and action 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

On 4/25/2024 at 7:19 AM, Ripper212 said:

Nope. End it here. Perfect.

Couldn't agree more. It was ended perfectly. A few weeks ago I said I hope they just put a bow on it and dont even think of having a S2 and I think they did just that, really stunning in every way.

Honestly I watch so many foreign shows on streaming services that I dont even think about subtitles anymore. Its much better than watching it with terrible dubbing that sounds almost clownish. Shows like Lupin or Fauda on Netflix, fantastic shows. But I tried watching the dubbed version, its terrible. 

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 hour ago, Murphy76 said:

I really enjoyed the series.  

But, it seemed to end with a whimper instead of a bang.  

Everything was resolved well enough, but it seemed to just kind of peeter out.  

I suppose I was hoping for something more exciting.  

This was my exact feeling. They left it wide open for really needing a season 2. 

4 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

I suppose I was hoping for something more exciting.  

Stayed true to the book - which didn't mention much of the actual battle than in more than a footnote.

Crimson Sky was ... Mariko. 

I think of how Game of Thrones wrapped up. We got the big crazy blowout scenes and everyone hated it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Stayed true to the book - which didn't mention much of the actual battle than in more than a footnote.

I think of how Game of Thrones wrapped up. We got the big crazy blowout scenes and everyone hated it. 

GoT insane right. There was a total national obsession with the show and then the finale and 

poof

It just disappeared from everyone’s mind completely, never to be mentioned again. Bizarre 

As far as Shogun, it’s based on real events so they can’t just make a sequel and make up a bunch of stuff lol. Maybe life in Japan 🇯🇵 just got really boring after that 🤣

27 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Maybe life in Japan 🇯🇵 just got really boring after that 🤣

It was the beginning of nearly 300 years of isolation! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Couldn't agree more. It was ended perfectly. A few weeks ago I said I hope they just put a bow on it and dont even think of having a S2 and I think they did just that, really stunning in every way.

Honestly I watch so many foreign shows on streaming services that I dont even think about subtitles anymore. Its much better than watching it with terrible dubbing that sounds almost clownish. Shows like Lupin or Fauda on Netflix, fantastic shows. But I tried watching the dubbed version, its terrible. 

No question. Interesting you brought up 2 other shows I loved, and until you posted this I didn't even remember that Lupin was subtitled! 

22 hours ago, aenemated said:

I agree with the GoT comparison, and maybe that's what I was hoping for.

I think a lot of people didn't like the GoT ending not because of the content, but how it was filmed-  It was so dark that it was hard to see what the heck was going on.

2 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

I agree with the GoT comparison, and maybe that's what I was hoping for.

I think a lot of people didn't like the GoT ending not because of the content, but how it was filmed-  It was so dark that it was hard to see what the heck was going on.

Disagree. They hated it because story line was rushed and poorly thought out. Choosing the king based on a "story" told by Peter Dinklage (admittedly the best character after Arya). Would have been better if it was too dark to see what was going on!