Recommendations for iron set under 200??

CGray97

Hate to be that guy as I'm sure this question has been asked a lot and I know it's going to be tough to find a set for under 200.

I'm pretty new to golf but I enjoy it on the weekends, I'm not hardcore but would like to try to put together my own bag of clubs and really work on improving my game vs using different clubs ever other weekend. I've been looking at older pre owned Ping and Callaways but I really dont know what the best option would be in my price range. I also have a rough time figuring out which clubs are ancient and which clubs are somewhat more modern lol I guess I'm just looking for some guidance or good starting point on what irons I should look at picking up pre owned. Any help is greatly appreciated.

In that price range, you're probably talking like Ping Eye2 irons, or maybe some older G-series irons, G2, G5 maybe--not sure what those are going for these days. With Callaway, likely some of the early 2000s Big Bertha series irons are in that ballpark. You might check out some value-based brands like Tour Edge, too: that could be your best bang for buck as they are a more modern company & their equipment has never gone for top dollar that higher-tier brands do. Check around FB marketplace, nextroundgolf.com or ebay, as clubs in that price range are going to be hard to come by at many shops now unless you've got a play it again sports or some other reseller like that nearby.

Another option, if you're just learning: not a terrible idea to pick up a boxed set like they sell at Costco, or Wal-mart, or whatever. All standardized gear for someone just getting started, and it'll save you from wading thru decades-old clubs that could be too long/too short, too heavy, too stiff, etc. etc. As someone who buys a lot of decades old equipment lol there's a lot of variance out there.

• Like 2

I would go with older Ping irons. Indestructible. Anything Eye two or more recent. Any g series is great. 

• Like 4

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

If you're okay with looking at offerings from non-brand name vendors, there are definitely options out there that would even allow you to do a bit of customization.

Hireko:

https://www.hirekogolf.com/custom-clubs/custom-clubs/golf-irons.html

Monark Golf:

https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-clubs/custom-clubs/custom-golf-irons/

Diamond Tour (parent company of Sub 70):

https://www.diamondtour.com/golf-clubs/irons.html

• Like 1

Bag on a budget:

Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy (assembly pending)

4UI: Turner 239

Irons (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

https://www.2ndswing.com/right-handed-regular-steel-39dot0in-a-22436607963?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5f_J5JuhhQMVw2dHAR3jRQToEAQYCCABEgI3cPD_BwE

Ping I3 o-size. As others mentioned, Pings can take a beating. I’ve known a few decent players who played the blade style of this iron until a few years ago. 

Edited by DoughBack18
  • Like 1

I was in a similar boat a couple years back, and I ended up gaming a set of Ping Eye 2 + no + black dots for my first year back and they served me well - think I paid 150 or so for the set and added a sand wedge. Moved on to a blue dot isi-k set I paid around 200 for (Also had to replace a Wedge and a 3 iron so maybe 225), great easy to launch set but I also moved on as I wanted to shape the ball a little more. Now I am on to some Mizuno MP-58s I really love, which I also paid less than 200$ for. 
So, all in all, I would second the general advice in this thread. I still have my old sets, and am looking into selling them but it’s been nice to have stuff to try out or change between - and I can still get back pretty close to what I paid for them. I’m not shooting the lights out and I am not beating anyone on distance alone but these sets are perfect for my skill level, and I shed no tears when there’s rocks in the bunkers on the muni. Look around somewhere like eBay for a model that catches your eye/looks comfortable for your style of play/et cetera, check your recommendations for fit from the ping chart, and go from there. 

Older Pings: Zing 2, ISI-K, Eye 2 + 

- they are indestructible and you can look up the color code chart to find clubs that will fit your static measurement.

- they are very forgiving (MOI higher than many of today's irons), straight, and high flying even though they are old.

- Loft for loft, they hold up tremendously well.

- If you end up not liking them, they hold their value should you want to sell.

Legit brands that are underrated

- Adams: technologically advanced for the time and many of their technologies are still in use by the company that bought them (TaylorMade)

- Cleveland: great value to performance ratio

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Any older gen Ping iron in the G family will easily see you through your weekend rounds. G2 were really great and easily in that budget. ISI also were some of Karstens finest. 

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

If the club looks really ugly, or looks like a blade, has a no name shaft, and have ugly old looking grips, it's usually something ancient. Look up each manufacturer you like and use Google to see what they looked like during that year. I wouldn't go older than 2005 personally. PING G5, PING i5, for example (yes Eye2s, or ISIs were great for what they were but I'd never recommend them now).

If u add another $100, a whole plethora of options will open to you. Even on Ebay. $200 is really too cheap for anything with somewhat MODERN tech. You may find a steal though.

If you really want to go cheap and just want your own set, to to a Goodwill store. You may need to buy the clubs individually but something like $10 per club (or less) isn't out of the ordinary. Even cheaper if you skip clubs and do only odd or only even numbered clubs. This is how I got started many moons ago.

Next I'd try a used sport equipment reseller like Play It Again Sports. More expensive but they have complete sets in that price range and a website you can order from.

Lastly try Ebay.

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

15 hours ago, CGray97 said:

Hate to be that guy as I'm sure this question has been asked a lot and I know it's going to be tough to find a set for under 200.

I'm pretty new to golf but I enjoy it on the weekends, I'm not hardcore but would like to try to put together my own bag of clubs and really work on improving my game vs using different clubs ever other weekend. I've been looking at older pre owned Ping and Callaways but I really dont know what the best option would be in my price range. I also have a rough time figuring out which clubs are ancient and which clubs are somewhat more modern lol I guess I'm just looking for some guidance or good starting point on what irons I should look at picking up pre owned. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are sets of Ping g10 irons on various sites in that price range. They are really good irons and very forgiving.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

5 hours ago, goalie said:

STi2 at Golfworks

Get them made to your specs, have fun on the course.  

You beat me to it.  Much nicer clubs in person than Golfworks pics look.  Chances are if you buy used, you will be investing in new grips right away.  Call Golfworks for advice.

Edited by Klubster
  • Like 2

If you like the TaylorMades, you can also look at the R7 irons.  I played those for a long time.  With all the choices out there, you can probably find something good in your price range that's not missing a 6-iron

You mentioned Callaway, but nobody here has said anything yet.  Callaway x-16 or x-18 can be found for less than $200.  Just avoid the "pro" versions - sounds like you are in the market for something with at least a medium level of forgiveness, and the "pro" versions are going to be towards the less-forgiving end of what you're looking for.

Also something that nobody has mentioned - shaft material & flex are very important.  Steel shafts are generally going to be less expensive, but at the same time are more appropriate for most golfers.  Depending on your age and general fitness level, a lightweight stiff steel shaft might be the best place to start out, since it gives you something you can grow into.

• Like 2

You could start here:  https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/?prefn1=classificationSubcategory&prefv1=Iron Sets&prefn2=isClearance&prefv2=false&srule=price-low-to-hi&start=0&sz=36&cgid=results

Like someone else mentioned if you bump your price up a little lots of options open up.  Ebay can have some deals too, Cobra game improvement iron sets are usually found at a reasonable price on ebay.

Edit:  CPO also has other brands:  https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/other-brands/club-type/iron-sets/?prefn1=classificationSubcategory&prefv1=Iron Sets&prefn2=isClearance&prefv2=false&srule=price-low-to-hi&start=0&sz=36&cgid=results

Edited by bekgolf

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Just to offer an alternative opinion, I'm going to suggest that unless you specifically like irons like the Ping Eye2 or ISI (and you'll already know who you are), maybe not make those your first candidates.

Why? While I think those are both highly serviceable, and highly durable clubs with great pedigrees, it's sorta like driving around an 80s era Toyota Land Cruiser. Super cool in their own way, with a hard-core cult following (justified), but definitely not a good daily driver for many folks. First, they look, well, different. They look very different. Lots of offset, weird shapes (by today's homogenous standards), and old-school loft specs. Not that that's bad, per se, but maybe something that is so "odd looking" by today's norm could be distracting. As for loft, as someone who's new to golf, maybe you don't need the additional distraction of why your pitching wedge goes only 85% as far as your buddies newer clubs. Yes, there's good reason why that is (hint, it's not really because they're newer or better), with nothing at all "wrong" with the old clubs, but it's just a distraction that a relatively new golfer might not want to deal with.

Something a little more modern (early 2000's era or newer), can certainly be found at that price range, have all the performance you'll want and are certainly available. I just saw a 6-PW set on Callaway Pre-Owned for under $200. (I'd not worry there's no 5i or 4i - even many experienced golfers are ditching those clubs.)

And for the record, I'm no new club snob. My own irons are circa 2006 and are going nowhere.

Check your local Play It Again Sports store if you have one locally. Find something that suits your eye and $200 budget. Local market place on FB as well… Another option is to get a partial set, say a 5 hybrid with a 7/9 iron and a wedge. Numerous options… on Instagram I’ve seen Golf Roots sell beginner sets that are minimalist. Good luck!

23 hours ago, CGray97 said:

Something that would be helpful for us to know is how hard do you swing? If you are  young ,fairly strong or athletic I would recommend Ping Eye 2+ irons. They will come with a fairly stiff steel shaft.

Easily available for under $200 for a set of irons. 

If you don't take as hard swing at the ball X series Callaways or Big Berthas will have a M10 steel shaft which will be a bit more flexible than the Pings.

23 hours ago, CGray97 said:

Also, how tall are you?

Before settling on what clubs to buy, I would go get fit and use the information to find the closest used kit regarding:

Shaft weight 

Shaft length

Shaft bend profile

Shaft flex

Club head sole width

Club head length

Lie- and loft angles can be adjusted to match your fitted spec.

At least here where I live, you can get fittings for free, visiting Titleist fitting events.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:58 AM, goalie said:

STi2 at Golfworks

Get them made to your specs, have fun on the course.  

I recommended these to my SIL.  He bought them -1/4" R flex.  I hit them and they feel so nice and easy to hit.  These are fantastic irons for about $200.  For about $300 you could get the KE4 Max from Golfworks(Maltby) and these are amazing irons with great tech that you can game from a 30 handicap down to a single digit  If you play 3-4 times a month it's worth the investment for a decent set of irons that are as good as any OEM out there without breaking the bank.  IMHO.  You can build a really nice complete bag that can last you many years with $500-$600 with Maltby (Golfworks) items.  

Edited by wantacigar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I recommended these to my SIL.  He bought them -1/4" R flex.  I hit them and they feel so nice and easy to hit.  These are fantastic irons for about $200.  For about $300 you could get the KE4 Max from Golfworks(Maltby) and these are amazing irons with great tech that you can game from a 30 handicap down to a single digit  If you play 3-4 times a month it's worth the investment for a decent set of irons that are as good as any OEM out there without breaking the bank.  IMHO.  You can build a really nice complete bag that can last you many years with $500-$600

I'd agree with the KE4 Max, but it's above the requested price point.  They are STUPID easy to hit high, straight, and far.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

• 2 weeks later...

You sometimes can find Adams stuff really cheap, they made some really nice irons back in the day. 

For example, I played these  about 15 years ago, played them for several years.... 5-PW Idea Pro, black gold shafts, $119.99 at 2nd swing.....

https://www.2ndswing.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/adams-idea-pro-iron-set/right-handed-stiff-steel-38dot75in-a-32437573495

Also, look for irons from Cleveland, Cobra, or Nike, they all just never held their resale value, but there are several solid clubs they made 10-15 years ago that can be had for reasonable prices....

Edited by Mike_C
  • Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV