2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I thought lag/shaft lean create speed, I was dead wrong

So I've been working on a more rotational swing for some time now. Went to the range the other day recorded a few swings, face on showed tour  amount of shaft lean, but here's the problem.

Im hitting the ball VERY low. I knew that shaft lean delofts the club face and I'd hit the ball more penetrating but I didn't think THIS LOW, like barely above head high on some shots.

some shots I hit the ball almost as high as my usual flight, but I might've flipped. My normal apex with a 7iron for example is usually about 100ft, now it's 40-45ft  in the air on average. And I wasn't hitting it further either,.wasn't making that crisp sound on any shot. Probably was hitting the ball 15-20 shorter  on almost every iron shot.

Maybe I NEED to flip in order to create speed, when I use my body better and hands get just a little more ahead at impact, I'm hitting it much lower and shorter.

look at this student Milo's working with. Poor sequenced swing/ flips a lot, still swings his driver 190 MPH.

Shows that when it comes to speed you either have it or you don't. Speed training is really the only option

• Like 1

Trying to hold all the lag is likely causing you to slow down without hitting the ball with an extremely open club face. Lag is pretty much a curse word on this forum lol.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

42 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This has been backwards for 100 years.

Sequencing properly and speed create lag and shaft lean, not the other way around.

That's not what I meant 

I know that holding lag never works, but what I'm saying is using your body correctly to create that lag isn't going to make you that much faster. You're not gonna go from swinging your driver 95 to 115 bc your sequence is better.

Watch the video, Milo's student swings his driver 130 club speed with a ton of swing flaws, it's genetics 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Golfimprovejourney said:

That's not what I meant 

I know that holding lag never works, but what I'm saying is using your body correctly to create that lag isn't going to make you that much faster. You're not gonna go from swinging your driver 95 to 115 bc your sequence is better.

Watch the video, Milo's student swings his driver 130 club speed with a ton of swing flaws, it's genetics 

And they also said he could probably hit 140 if he had better technique.

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You're right, I know nothing about club head speed or the swing, I need to watch a video about it.

Ummm, I don’t think the op wanted you to watch the video to learn anything he was merely pointing out that the kid in the video was fast regardless of his swing mechanics.  

4 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Ummm, I don’t think the op wanted you to watch the video to learn anything he was merely pointing out that the kid in the video was fast regardless of his swing mechanics.  

Reread his whole response again

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

15 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

I read it several times before I posted.

Well, if you see the emoji responses he got they interpreted it the same way I did.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

On 4/6/2024 at 11:00 PM, Golfimprovejourney said:

That's not what I meant 

Don't know why I'm feeling like responding sensibly to this, but if you take the time to dive into how the mind works you'll find out that your brain will stop your body from swinging at its max speed by quite a decent margin when your sequencing is off in an actual swing. Some will, in fact, go from 95 to 115 simply by getting a sound swing that their brain reasons is capable of doing their primary task--hitting the ball--at the new higher speed. In some cases speed training is necessary to get there, but not always by any means.

This is exactly why plenty of people are capable of swings that break the 100 mph mark with no ball present but fall well short once they tee one up.

1a8ce731-5612-47d7-95a0-ce3c2ff25a55_tex

As to proper sequencing, etc., for you, from the sound of it if your hands are well ahead at impact as you claim then you indeed have a problem. If that's the specific mystery you want to investigate I suggest comparing stills of yourself at impact to better ball strikers. You'll find that their hands are not all that far ahead at contact and that impact more or less mirrors address, tending to decrease as clubs lengthen. To get the flight you're mentioning it sounds like you're in a full on knockdown position at the ball which is not what you should be chasing for normal shots.

If I were you I'd address the problem, sequencing and forcing lean via additional shaft lean, rather than the symptom, low ball flight, assuming that's what your stills and video show as your posts suggest.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2024 at 5:53 AM, Jeselnik said:

I have no idea why Monte wastes so much time on you guys.  Monte, if you want to host a children’s clinic make it 12 and under.

JNIK

924EAAD6-D151-4F32-B43D-7CBE82FEE06F.jpeg

I think the OP was sincere and did not mean any insult with what he wrote.  Perhaps he does not understand the golf swing a very high level but I didn't see where he wrote anything that warranted the response that he got.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I think the OP was sincere and did not mean any insult with what he wrote.  Perhaps he does not understand the golf swing a very high level but I didn't see where he wrote anything that warranted the response that he got.  

This.

I wouldn't expect a new member to know Monte's bona fides after being here only a month. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:00 PM, Golfimprovejourney said:

That's not what I meant 

Recently I've been working on my swing, corrected some mistakes that made be start sequencing properly, proper sequencing led to both lag and shaft lean without me even trying. My driver went from around 275 average to now averaging 310. So there must be some other reason your body is putting on the brakes in your swing.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:00 PM, Golfimprovejourney said:

That's not what I meant 

I don't buy into the genetics thing at all.  My family tree says I should have slow genetics, yet when I played hockey I could skate fast with a wicked slap shot, in my prime years I had club speed in 115+ range.  All of that was due to me learning how to do things correctly so I could be efficient.

In a lot of cases really athletic people and strong people are able to power through less than stellar mechanics, and that's probably what you're seeing with this guy swinging 130.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 4/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

You're right, I know nothing about club head speed or the swing, I need to watch a video about it.

I love when a student thinks the seasoned instructor isn't worth listening to.  Reminds me of the youngster two years out of college telling me how I should run the company.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

13 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I don't buy into the genetics thing at all.  My family tree says I should have slow genetics, yet when I played hockey I could skate fast with a wicked slap shot, in my prime years I had club speed in 115+ range.  All of that was due to me learning how to do things correctly so I could be efficient.

In a lot of cases really athletic people and strong people are able to power through less than stellar mechanics, and that's probably what you're seeing with this guy swinging 130.   

Why, you likely have a former recessive gene now expressed ? 

Edited by Pastit

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I love when a student thinks the seasoned instructor isn't worth listening to.  Reminds me of the youngster two years out of college telling me how I should run the company.  

Didn't even mean to respond to him, Meant to respond to the first guy because he misunderstood what I was saying. Montes a great instructor and learned a lot from him the last couple of years 

Apologies @MonteScheinblum, didn't mean to come across as a know it all

Edited by Golfimprovejourney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Golfimprovejourney said:

Didn't even mean to respond to him, Meant to respond to the first guy because he misunderstood what I was saying.

Apologies @MonteScheinblum, didn't mean to come across as a know it all

That’s fair.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 hours ago, MountainKing said:

IMHO there are two aspects here.

1. Every golfer has a "ceiling" for swing speed. That might be genetic. It might be current fitness/mobility level (and thus can be improved). But there's a certain natural talent level that is going to be a hard limit.  
  2. Most amateur golfers are nowhere near their "ceiling" because of mechanics/sequencing issues. The reason they're slow isn't genetics. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

IMHO there are two aspects here.

1. Every golfer has a "ceiling" for swing speed. That might be genetic. It might be current fitness/mobility level (and thus can be improved). But there's a certain natural talent level that is going to be a hard limit.  
  2. Most amateur golfers are nowhere near their "ceiling" because of mechanics/sequencing issues. The reason they're slow isn't genetics. 

My current lack of speed is for a result of weight gain, but more an awful back that has been operated on.   I probably would pick up a bit if I lost weight.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy