2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke irons showing wear after one round?

jjfcpa

Just curious if anyone notice any wear marks on the soles or face of the AI Smoke irons after very little use?

I played my first round with them today in Rancho Mirage, CA and noticed some wear marks on the sole as well as some wear marks on the face.  Don't get me wrong, they performed very well and I didn't hit any trees, play any off the cart path, or even hit out of a bunker.  I'm very happy with them and will play another round with them day after tomorrow.  

The wear marks don't seem to affect anything and I'm sure are superficial but the discoloration on the sole just detracts from the overall nice appearance of the irons before using them.  

The most important thing is they performed as well as my set back home (T350's) and gave me some added height that helped me hit some greens.  Really like the feel and performance.  Guess I shouldn't be so picky.

It depends on your definition of "wear". If it's just "no longer pristine?", then I have seen irons show wear after one ball! One round will for sure show slight brushing on the sole and possibly face marks if lousy range balls are hit. Sand on the range balls is another culprit of marking the face. I keep a towel with me when the range is damp so I can keep the sand off the balls when hitting them.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

These irons are just the yearly Callaway branded “whatever marketing name” super game improvement iron they churn out for the mass public. Point being, these are not aimed at the serious golfer who looks for certain things in a iron. 

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

3 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

These irons are just the yearly Callaway branded “whatever marketing name” super game improvement iron they churn out for the mass public. Point being, these are not aimed at the serious golfer who looks for certain things in a iron. 

Don't need to be a scratch golfer to look for certain things in an iron and be a serious golfer.  I'll give them a try and see if there is anything I like about them.  Being a 5 hcp, I want certain things to be there.  Just because they aren't what you want doesn't mean they are junk.  That being said, I'm a "tools not jewels" guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 minute ago, Socrates said:

Don't need to be a scratch golfer to look for certain things in an iron and be a serious golfer.  I'll give them a try and see if there is anything I like about them.  Being a 5 hcp, I want certain things to be there.  Just because they aren't what you want doesn't mean they are junk.  That being said, I'm a "tools not jewels" guy.

My bad, wasn’t meant in that manner towards you. It was more of a comment on the Callaway iron releases. I should have included more but at work and was typing fast, lol. I meant these irons are the ones Callaway releases every single year with the same branding as the wood lineup. They are mass producing these types of iron sets and are the type that most people who buy off the rack will gravitate towards. Cally pays more attention to marketing and shelf appeal on something like this, as opposed to say the MB, and Apex Pro lineup. They will pay more attention to materials, type of finish, feel and sound in those.

Bettinardi BBzero

6 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

My bad, wasn’t meant in that manner towards you. It was more of a comment on the Callaway iron releases. I should have included more but at work and was typing fast, lol. I meant these irons are the ones Callaway releases every single year with the same branding as the wood lineup. They are mass producing these types of iron sets and are the type that most people who buy off the rack will gravitate towards. Cally pays more attention to marketing and shelf appeal on something like this, as opposed to say the MB, and Apex Pro lineup. They will pay more attention to materials, type of finish, feel and sound in those.

No worries.  I wasn't offended.  I just think you presume that Callaway (or any OEM) really only don't pay attention to the playability of non-players clubs and I think that it is mistake to think that. 

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

For some, irons are like that new GMC Denali 2500 truck they bought and they want to keep it looking pristine. Wash/wax/detailed looking as close to showroom new

For me, a pickup truck doesn't really earn its stripes until it's first scratch or ding.

But ultimately both groups just want it to start every time and perform as advertised regardless of the cuts and scrapes. 

To each their own!

47 minutes ago, Socrates said:

No worries.  I wasn't offended.  I just think you presume that Callaway (or any OEM) really only don't pay attention to the playability of non-players clubs and I think that it is mistake to think that. 

Used to work for Callaway. Just saying

• Like 1

Bettinardi BBzero

10 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

Used to work for Callaway. Just saying

Interesting.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

OP here.  So I spent a few minutes cleaning the clubs this morning with just a warm water towel.

There are definite brush marks on the soles.  Noticed a little discoloration on the face of some of the irons.  None of this would affect performance, but it does distract from the overall appearance.

This is my out-of-town set at our vacation home in Palm Springs so they won't get used a lot.  However, I've got a set of T350's that are my at-home set and they've been used quite a bit more and are pristine.  Not sure if this is because of the sandy conditions here in Palm Springs but to be honest, I've played the T350's here in Palm Springs and they don't show the same wear marks.

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it, but as someone pointed out, these are probably just the annual release by Callaway and not intended to remain in pristine condition for very long.

Pictures?  Probably not worth it, but just wanted to see if anyone experienced this after so little use.

5 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

OP here.  So I spent a few minutes cleaning the clubs this morning with just a warm water towel.

There are definite brush marks on the soles.  Noticed a little discoloration on the face of some of the irons.  None of this would affect performance, but it does distract from the overall appearance.

This is my out-of-town set at our vacation home in Palm Springs so they won't get used a lot.  However, I've got a set of T350's that are my at-home set and they've been used quite a bit more and are pristine.  Not sure if this is because of the sandy conditions here in Palm Springs but to be honest, I've played the T350's here in Palm Springs and they don't show the same wear marks.

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it, but as someone pointed out, these are probably just the annual release by Callaway and not intended to remain in pristine condition for very long.

Pictures?  Probably not worth it, but just wanted to see if anyone experienced this after so little use.

No pictures...didn't happen.  Over simplified, but we have no idea whether you are really anal about your clubs or there is something to talk about.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

7 hours ago, Socrates said:

No pictures...didn't happen.  Over simplified, but we have no idea whether you are really anal about your clubs or there is something to talk about.  

Agreed. Without a picture how can we tell how bad the condition is?  It’s just a guessing game since everyone has different levels of tolerance for the condition of their clubs. 

Callaways chrome finish on their GI irons has for years been an issue for many. They do show a lot of "wear" after only a few rounds.  There are numerous threads about being able to use a certain type of scotch bite pad to polish them back to a better looking condition.  For some its a major issue for others no so.

• Thanks 1

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

Ping G425's 5 iron thru UW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

10 hours ago, mjf34g said:

Callaways chrome finish on their GI irons has for years been an issue for many. They do show a lot of "wear" after only a few rounds.  There are numerous threads about being able to use a certain type of scotch bite pad to polish them back to a better looking condition.  For some its a major issue for others no so.

7 hours ago, boggyman said:

It’s definitely a Callaway thing. Paradym iron players harped on the same thing. Tools not jewels I say! 

It's been quite a while since my irons had anything shiny about them.  They just have what I would call a "dull chrome" patina.  A number of years ago I took the polishing wheel to them to brighten them up and make them nice and shiny.  I've never made the ball go better because the chrome was bright.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

9 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Why make this post in the first place then?? If you are looking for opinions pictures would be helpful. 

I admit these are superficial but I guess I've never had a set of clubs that showed any marks on the soles or face after 1 round.  I should add, I'm 76 years old so it's not like I'm swinging these anywhere near fast.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jjfcpa said:

I admit these are superficial but I guess I've never had a set of clubs that showed any marks on the soles or face after 1 round.  I should add, I'm 76 years old so it's not like I'm swinging these anywhere near fast.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

That 7 looks worse than my year old set of chrome finished irons.  The 8 doesn’t look bad at all. 

5 hours ago, Socrates said:

It's been quite a while since my irons had anything shiny about them.  They just have what I would call a "dull chrome" patina.  A number of years ago I took the polishing wheel to them to brighten them up and make them nice and shiny.  I've never made the ball go better because the chrome was bright.

My OG XR irons done the same thing. Looked rough not long after I got them. I took a green Scorch Brite to them to dull the finish. Problem solved! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

As I stated before, none of these blemishes affect performance, which has been stellar.  However, they were so nice looking before playing them that it's a little disappointing to see them react this way after just one round.  

To me the sole looks like they would after hitting off mats.  Yes?

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

10 hours ago, boggyman said:

My OG XR irons done the same thing. Looked rough not long after I got them. I took a green Scorch Brite to them to dull the finish. Problem solved! 

Do you mind sharing a picture or two and how you did it? I would like to try on one of the AI smoke irons. Thank you.

16 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

That looks like normal wear to me. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 4/13/2024 at 5:43 PM, shankz said:

Probably polished to mirror finish instead of chrome plated. 

Yup!  Callaway doesn't chrome plate their GI irons, they are mirror polished stainless...which scratches quite easily.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

22 hours ago, Socrates said:

To me the sole looks like they would after hitting off mats.  Yes?

No, I've never hit these off mats outdoors.  I did practice with them indoors before bringing them to Palm Springs, but there were no marks on them after hitting on indoor mats.  I have a fiberbuilt golf mat and they are not abrasive at all.