2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tightest crispies?

rbpwrx

Hi all, trying to compile a list of especially TIGHT and CRISP feeling shafts.

I realize these are subjective terms. Nevertheless I persist.

Want to be able to tip heavily using a softer or lighter flex (65X instead of 75TX, say), without losing the tight/ crisp feeling of TX. So profiles or materials that feel especially taut and lively, throughout the line. Classic shafts welcome.

Here are some, would appreciate any additions:

- Tensei CK Pro White/ Orange, 1K Black

- OG Graf Blue

- HZRDUS Black, esp Gen 4

- Aldila Tour Green/ Blue

- Ventus Black

- KBS TD

- Accra RPG

Thanks!

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

Nothing snappy? Y'all must have some favorites out there...

Here's what I mean:

I like tipping shafts for driver and fairway. Like, a lot. 2"+. I get tighter dispersion and better ball flight that way.

But I also really like the crisp feeling of TX in 70g for driver and 80 to 90 for fairway.

but if I tip the hell out of a 70TX, sometimes it's too much. So I find heavily tipping a 70X is just about perfect. Plenty of load and bend through the middle which gives me better feel but it's still nice and tight.

But shafts are made out of different materials, laid up differently. Some feel really crisp and snappy to me, some feel kind of dull or hard. I prefer the crisp, snappy feel.

So I'm asking if anybody has any particularly favorite shafts that have a tight crisp feel to them rather than hard and dull. Looking for good X candidates to tip a lot.

3 minutes ago, Albatross85 said:

I'm struggling to understand if you're trolling. Your sig lists that your putter shaft is hardstepped 5x, that's a wild thing to post even by WRX standards...

Not at all trolling. It's not a putter shaft, btw. It's a regular 7.0 Rifle iron shaft tipped 2.5" inches. Still too soft actually. I play a longer putter at 39 inches so 2 1/2 was all I could take off it. I'm actually looking at the Nippon 140g and 160g for putter.

but there's nothing wrong with heavy tipping on graphite shafts. We all do it for 5W, some even for 3w/ Dr. I just prefer less neck, more belly.

But it matters greatly what the profile and construction are. Was just looking for suggestions where the whole shaft is particularly tight or crisp. Thanks. 

HELP. Stuck on driver. Search is taking forever. Basically whiteboard, TX, 65-70g. But still unicorn hunting.

Current gamer is Rogue Silver 70TX, tipped 1", playing 44". In R7 Quad or Tourstage 909. Both at 400cc and around 210g. But that shaft is a touch heavy, and not quite as tight or crisp as I'd like. It's a Mercedes. My hands want a Lotus.

Others that have come close:

- Accra RPG Gold 462 M5+. Great, but a little firm in the handle.

- OG Graf Blue X, heavily tipped. Good weight and firmness, but feel is a little dull.

- RIP Alpha 70X. Very playable, just a little hard.

- Tensei CK Pro White 70X. Nice, but too soft. 70TX handle too firm. Grrr. Maybe 60TX?
- SpeedRulz C 60TX good on weight and profile, but hard like RIP Alpha.

Shafts that work in other clubs:

- Tour Blue 85TX *hybrid*  in my fairway. Tight, crisp, snappy, long. Also CK Pro Orange 70TX = straight and long. Accra FX470 M5+ = nice draws.

- VS Proto 95X in my hybrid. Rogue Black 95TX also good. Old gamer Tour Green 105TX was great. Looking for a Tour Blue 105TX. They're rare.

- MMT 125TX taper tip, HSx1 in 3i. C-Taper 130 or X7 irons. Rifle 7.0 Spinner wedges.

Basically I know it's possible to make a firm and stable enough shaft in the 65g range. Accra, Tensei, Grafalloy, and Matrix all have. But still looking for that magic.

HZRDUS G4 Black feel pretty good. Is it that simple?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

Nobody has any idea what your feel for "tight and crispy" means. You have two options:

1.) Buy and tip endless 65-75 X and TX shafts until you find what you are looking for.

or

2.) Go for a shaft fitting and try them out until you find one you like

Probably not 'nobody.' And obviously I've chose Option 1. Onward!

Edited by rbpwrx
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

HELP. Stuck on driver. Search is taking forever. Basically whiteboard, TX, 65-70g. But still unicorn hunting.

Current gamer is Rogue Silver 70TX, tipped 1", playing 44". In R7 Quad or Tourstage 909. Both at 400cc and around 210g. But that shaft is a touch heavy, and not quite as tight or crisp as I'd like. It's a Mercedes. My hands want a Lotus.

- OG Graf Blue X, heavily tipped. Good weight and firmness, but feel is a little dull.

- Tensei CK Pro White 70X. Nice, but too soft. 70TX handle too firm. Grrr. Maybe 60TX?

- Tour Blue 85TX *hybrid*  in my fairway. Tight, crisp, snappy, long. Also CK Pro Orange 70TX = straight and long. Accra FX470 M5+ = nice draws.

- VS Proto 95X in my hybrid. Rogue Black 95TX also good. Old gamer Tour Green 105TX was great. Looking for a Tour Blue 105TX. They're rare.

- MMT 125TX taper tip, HSx1 in 3i. C-Taper 130 or X7 irons. Rifle 7.0 Spinner wedges.

Basically I know it's possible to make a firm and stable enough shaft in the 65g range. Accra, Tensei, Grafalloy, and Matrix all have. But still looking for that magic.

If you like the rouge silver why wouldn’t you just search for it in a 60tx?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gtyler14 said:

If you like the rouge silver why wouldn’t you just search for it in a 60tx?

Yup. It's in all my searches. But the 125msi 60TX is more rare than the 70, even. I've seen one in the UK all the time I've been looking. And that was fetching a premium.

5 minutes ago, R_Swanson said:

Is your ball speed 190+ or something?

Nope. I just get better results with stiffer shafts. Kind of like Rocco. Confirmed by fitters.

• Like 1

Can you give me a clear, no jargon/lingo sensation you're looking for? Like the others, I have no idea what super firm and taut but lively means. You say you found one shaft far too stiff in the handle and then another was basically mush. What are you looking for, exactly, in thirds. What does the handle need to feel like, what does the middle need to feel like, and what does the tip need to do?

Thanks, then maybe I can help you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Hard to understand exactly what you are looking for but based on my interpretation PX T1100 comes to mind. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

3 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Can you give me a clear, no jargon/lingo sensation you're looking for? Like the others, I have no idea what super firm and taut but lively means. You say you found one shaft far too stiff in the handle and then another was basically mush. What are you looking for, exactly, in thirds. What does the handle need to feel like, what does the middle need to feel like, and what does the tip need to do?

Thanks, then maybe I can help you.

Sure, thanks:

Profile: very stiff tip, stiff middle, firm handle. On paper, GD's new Victory Force is just about perfect. (Their XC would probably feel great with its super soft handle, but maybe too much of a good thing. I'm afraid to try either for budgetary reasons.)

Torque: the lower the better. Definitely sub 3*, preferably sub 2.5*, sub 2* even better.

I realize that's unusual, but it's actually similar to steel. Which is what I grew up on.

I'm still hitting my X100 983E fairly often. And I'm struck by how naturally and closely the clubhead follows my hands. Feels very 'tight' in that way. But still flexy. Loads easily. Unlike some modern TX graphite shafts, which can be stiffer in profile, but looser in torque.

3 hours ago, robbie91 said:

Hard to understand exactly what you are looking for but based on my interpretation PX T1100 comes to mind. 

Excellent! Thanks for the reminder. It's been on my list to try. (I see GD AD VF actually uses T1100. Interesting.)

Is there a reason you are using a head that is so old, apart from how it looks? You could argue that you may only gain x yards with a newer head but the forgiveness difference would be off the charts, compared to what you are gaming... how about testing out some new heads with your current shafts, and mess around with head weights?

• Like 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

8 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

Sure, thanks:

Profile: very stiff tip, stiff middle, firm handle. On paper, GD's new Victory Force is just about perfect. (Their XC would probably feel great with its super soft handle, but maybe too much of a good thing. I'm afraid to try either for budgetary reasons.)

Torque: the lower the better. Definitely sub 3*, preferably sub 2.5*, sub 2* even better.

I realize that's unusual, but it's actually similar to steel. Which is what I grew up on.

I'm still hitting my X100 983E fairly often. And I'm struck by how naturally and closely the clubhead follows my hands. Feels very 'tight' in that way. But still flexy. Loads easily. Unlike some modern TX graphite shafts, which can be stiffer in profile, but looser in torque.

Got it, so a linear, stiff all over thing. I second the T1100.  Anything HZRDUS Green would work too.  Here's a list of some things you may like.  The Evenflow MX and LX are now discontinued, so you may be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.  For some reason the MX (mid) has lower torque than the LX (low) but in 60TX they are both below 2.5* of torque. Room to tip to take off some of the small kick you might get with the Evenflow attributes.

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/evenflow-riptide-lx.html

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/evenflow-riptide-mx.html

The Accra TZSix ST is also very low torque, with a super stiff handle and pretty stiff tip section.  I find the TZSix stuff feels like rebar compared to the Five models.

https://accragolf.com/product/tz-six-st/?radius=300

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

20 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

I was gonna mention RPG Gold.  I thought you prefer stiff handles(let's keep it clean, haha).  I'd recommend testing the RDX Green as it's still low/low with some feel to it but it's moderately counterbalanced if you're ok with that.  I also felt like the handle didn't feel ridiculously stiff like a TR Black or T1100/Hulk Green. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

Excellent! Thanks for the reminder. It's been on my list to try. (I see GD AD VF actually uses T1100. Interesting.)

VF uses T1100 and M40X.  Funny thing is that PX T1100 feels like a telephone pole and meh on the smoothness meter while the VF feels linear and stout throughout but at the same time is ultra smooth.  I'm thinking it's the M40X. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Need to add Hzrdus green I.E 'The Hulk" to your list.

Diamana PD (very pole)

HZRDUS T1100

RPG Gold

GD-VF

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

18 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

Yup. It's in all my searches. But the 125msi 60TX is more rare than the 70, even. I've seen one in the UK all the time I've been looking. And that was fetching a premium.

We were talking about your setup in another thread and I never got back to it, but finding a 125msi 60TX Rogue is very difficult.  Especially one that's long enough to do proper tipping on.  I've been looking for one that I can play at 45" (with an inch tipped) for a while and it's a near dead end.

I had a Rogue 125 Silver in 70TX in my driver (tipped 1") and it was a rock solid setup until the shaft snapped and sent the head careening down the range...Had a heck of a time finding a replacement and it will only get tougher as the pool dries up (and prices are at a premium for a shaft that's getting up there in years!).

However, I've ultimately transitioned to, and had success with the 130MSI Rogue Silver (not the White).  I play a 70TX in my Mizuno driver @44" with about 0.5-0.75" tipping, and the same shaft @ 45" with no tipping in my Ping driver.  It's basically a slightly lower launching, slightly stiffer 125 Silver.  Still stable and the same basic profile, just tighter (and has a slightly lower balance point)  Takes a bit more effort to load, but you might want to look into the 60TX version and tip it to your heart's delight.  That might be just what you're looking for by dropping down from 70 to 60g.

The alternative I was looking at to replace the 125 Silver was probably going to be Ventus TR Black, but I'm generally very pleased with the Rouge 130 Silver and had been wondering if it slipped under your radar...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

I have more luck finding old shafts, usually in clubheads, by including descriptions in eBay searches. For example there's a PXG gen 4 driver with a 125MSI 60TX in it on the bay right now. The PXG heads have one of the higher BBGM on the market so it probably wouldn't for you, but still...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Got it, so a linear, stiff all over thing. I second the T1100.  Anything HZRDUS Green would work too.  Here's a list of some things you may like.  The Evenflow MX and LX are now discontinued, so you may be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.  For some reason the MX (mid) has lower torque than the LX (low) but in 60TX they are both below 2.5* of torque. Room to tip to take off some of the small kick you might get with the Evenflow attributes.

The Accra TZSix ST is also very low torque, with a super stiff handle and pretty stiff tip section.  I find the TZSix stuff feels like rebar compared to the Five models.

Yes, stable and linear, but softer in the handle, stiffer in the tip. High tip-to-butt ratio.

And yep, I bought a few MXs and an LX, all TX. Didn't love the LX. Built up an MX 60TX the other day, tipped 1", into a 200g Tourstage head. Not a slam dunk. Results were OK. Not great. I could play with it, but felt a little sloppy, materials didn't feel top shelf.

Also have one HZRDUS Green, but it's a 6.5 Smoke iM10. Felt loose to me.

I am curious about the TZ6. Low torque and high-end materials would be a plus. Hard handles don't generally agree with me. Although the Tenei CK Blue line in TX is fine.

14 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

I have more luck finding old shafts, usually in clubheads, by including descriptions in eBay searches. For example there's a PXG gen 4 driver with a 125MSI 60TX in it on the bay right now. The PXG heads have one of the higher BBGM on the market so it probably wouldn't for you, but still...

I saw that one! Keeping an eye on it...

6 hours ago, jaffabell said:

Is there a reason you are using a head that is so old, apart from how it looks? You could argue that you may only gain x yards with a newer head but the forgiveness difference would be off the charts, compared to what you are gaming... how about testing out some new heads with your current shafts, and mess around with head weights?

I seem to max out at 430cc for being able to look at it. And that's deep face, pear head. I figure if Tiger could hit it 360 with X100 in an old 975, then what's my excuse? Also, I've tried more modern heads. But I'm good with the R7 Quad and the Tourstage 909/709. Both weighted, look great, feel great, sound great. Went through a bunch of heads to settle on those. Although I wouldn't mind a TSR4 in a few years...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I was gonna mention RPG Gold.  I thought you prefer stiff handles(let's keep it clean, haha).  I'd recommend testing the RDX Green as it's still low/low with some feel to it but it's moderately counterbalanced if you're ok with that.  I also felt like the handle didn't feel ridiculously stiff like a TR Black or T1100/Hulk Green. 

I really like the RPG Gold 462 M5+. Can't bring myself to sell it. I'd be gaming it, but it takes a good swing on my part to load that handle. Some days it's cake, others it's too much.

Edited by rbpwrx

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

VF uses T1100 and M40X.  Funny thing is that PX T1100 feels like a telephone pole and meh on the smoothness meter while the VF feels linear and stout throughout but at the same time is ultra smooth.  I'm thinking it's the M40X. 

Yeah, I'm afraid for my wallet to try one.