2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos Γ—

How Many Putting Strokes Do You Have?

I used the putting stroke I learned from "Golf My Way" years ago, and it's never going to change. Straight back and straight through. Hitting it farther? Draw it back further and let it fall through naturally like a pendulum. Short shot, short stroke.

Keep it simple........

Β 

Now, as far as "how many per round?" πŸ˜„Β It depends.....

Β 

Also, I want people to stop talking about "Putter Swing Weight." The last time I checked, I didn't swing my putter.... and taking a divot in the green is discouraged.... πŸ˜„Β πŸ˜„Β 

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5Β° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5Β° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5Β° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56Β° - 60Β° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Go you all, who can be consistent with multiple types of putting strokes.Β  I have enough trouble being consistent with one.Β  Dialling in enough oomph with this putter on slow/very slow greens can be challenging though.Β  A 9 oclock backswing with a putter tends to raise eyebrows....

I am rarely ever trying to change or manipulate the stroke. If things are going REALLY badly on the greens I might switch to left hand low or widen/narrow my stance, but it usually doesn't change the results a whole lot.Β 

Β 

Pete Rose said that when he was in a slump, he would change his stance,Β choke up, or move around in the batter's box, but he wouldn't try to change his mechanics. I guess that's kind of my outlook. Just mess around with grip or setup until things inevitably go back to how I want them to at some point.Β 

9 hours ago, MBAndrews21 said:

I find that if I get a right to left putt, I’ll put cut spin on the putt. Vice versa for left to right.Β 
Β 

You can play most putts a lot straighter like this and speed control becomes less of a factor because of it.

Β 

I have to assume you're joking, because nobody should do anything like this, but also… cut spin for a putt would be swinging to the right for a righty. The ball ends up with topspin, and interacts with the ground beneath it, so the "curve" works the other direction.

Β 

You can see this for yourself on a carpet.

Β 

I learned this myself when I was a kid practicing putting on a carpet strip that was about a stimp 5.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski |Β Erie, PA

GEARS β€’ GCQuad MAX/FlightScope β€’ SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits:Β 26.Β #FeelAintReal

Β 

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." β€” Pat Campbell

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Β 

I have to assume you're joking, because nobody should do anything like this, but also… cut spin for a putt would be swinging to the right for a righty. The ball ends up with topspin, and interacts with the ground beneath it, so the "curve" works the other direction.

Β 

You can see this for yourself on a carpet.

Β 

I learned this myself when I was a kid practicing putting on a carpet strip that was about a stimp 5.

The joke is that you could always aim at the center of the cup and β€œwork” the ball against the slope

I am frequently bemused by the extent to which "golf" as experienced by the typical person posting on this forum seems so different than the "golf" I see played every day by myself, my friends and random people I get paired up with.

Β 

But this thread takes it to a new level, I've gotta say. Assuming that the replies which seem serious are not in fact tongue in cheek or sarcastic, there are quite a few people here who try to do stuff with their putter that not a single living soul I know In Real Life would even think of, much less attempt.

Β 

Has the joke just gone over my head?

Β 

Or is putting, as practiced by a substantial number of GolfWRX'ers, truly as whacky as it's being described here?Β 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 11:58 PM, jda said:

Serious question? Β Those of who think that this is a dumb question or though, what kinds of putters are you? Β In St George this week on 2 courses that I never played before and had 26 and 27 putts using 3 different strokes. Β I will stick with this.

Β 

No Stupid Questions: Ones and Zeroes | Committed to Memory

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Β 

Not to be flippant, but I have two. Β A silky smooth practice stroke. Β A spastic real stroke. Β 
Β 

Putting is the worst part of my game, except for a couple times a year when the stars align. Β Entirely possible it’s an issue between my two ears. Β 

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMBΒ 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

11 minutes ago, CyFan said:

Not to be flippant, but I have two. Β A silky smooth practice stroke. Β A spastic real stroke.Β 

Β 

Sorry for the drift but try some form of the claw grip - takes the right hand more or less out of the stroke.

Β 

Could've quit the game a year ago when the yips showed up with a conventional grip. Claw saved me. :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Β 

Just one. Head, feet, knees, and hips are completely still during the stroke. With an arc on the same plane as the lie angle of the putter with the face angle perpendicular to the arc at all points. Arms and club pendulum action with 1:1 backstroke/follow-through length.Β 

Β 

Just wish the golf swing could be as objective as the perfect putting stroke I just described LOL.

On 4/25/2024 at 5:57 AM, iacas said:

One of the best putters in the world. And I know putt counts are a terrible way to determine how well you putted.

Don’t know how many greens he hit.🀣

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9Β° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5Β° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19Β° Β hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23Β° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50Β° F & 56Β° M SM9 60Β°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Β 

Β 

I don't know how many different putting strokes I have. So I am going to use a numbered list format and just start typing and see where I stop.Β 

Β 

1. I have the relaxed, smooth, slightly arcing stroke that I only use on the practice green. For some reason this putting stroke never shows up on the course.Β 
  2. I have the close the face at the last minute stroke that I use most often on short (but very important) putts inside of 6'.Β 
  3. I have the sudden deceleration putt that I use on lagΒ putts where I just don't have a feel for the pace or on short putts where I am unsure of the break.Β 
  4. I have the 'catch just a little bit of grass behind the ball putt' that shows up randomly. It is perfect when you need to leave a 3 to 5Β footer about 1 foot short of the hole.Β 
  5. I have the blast the ball 10' long putt that I use mid-round when my last 3 lag putts have been well short of the hole

So unless I have forgotten one or two, I guess that I have 5 different putting strokes.Β 

Β 

dave

• Like 1

Not only do I only have one putting STROKE, I also only have one putting pace. I hear some people say they are going to "lag it and just get it close" on a long putt or "hit it with some pace to take the break out" on a short one, that kind of thing. The only way that works for me is trying to hit it at the speed where it falls into the cup just before running out of momentum. I never deliberately hit it more or less than that ideal pace for making the putt.Β 

14 hours ago, North Butte said:

Not only do I only have one putting STROKE, I also only have one putting pace. I hear some people say they are going to "lag it and just get it close" on a long putt or "hit it with some pace to take the break out" on a short one, that kind of thing. The only way that works for me is trying to hit it at the speed where it falls into the cup just before running out of momentum. I never deliberately hit it more or less than that ideal pace for making the putt.Β 

Β 

The ideal speed for it to go in from six feet is more than "just before running out of momentum" because you're not a robot, and if you're trying to hit the putts so they barely reach the hole… you'll leave far too many short putts short, or they'll wobble too much in the last foot of their journey that you'll miss some.

Β 

There are plenty of times a good putter can intentionally alter pace on shorter putts in order to have more success.

Β 

Pace is by far the single most important part of putting, and this includes the ability to control the pace at which you hit shorter putts… because the difference between playing a 3.5' putt at 4' or 6' pace can change the read significantly.

Erik J. Barzeski |Β Erie, PA

GEARS β€’ GCQuad MAX/FlightScope β€’ SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits:Β 26.Β #FeelAintReal

Β 

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." β€” Pat Campbell

Ah yes of course - the friction of the fringe/small/bumps. For me that is shot number 5; might use it off the green when a chip feels not to be the best option.

Β 

Absolutely not a fan of moving the ball forward in stance. Yes, dynamic loft will change due to its position in path but so will be the impact positions: higher on the ball and lower on the face.Β Not the best option.Β Β 

(Either the player must do something to the club/stroke or the player is looking for some crazy roll into the fringe).Β 

Β 

My adjustment is in the set up. For a normal putt, pressure is in the leading leg; for this shot will be mainly in the trail leg.Β 

This set up provides more dynamic loft at impact. Hit the ball just under the equator and the ball will lift.

The shot is very easy to learn. Place a ball about 2 inches from an edge about 1/2 inch high and make the ball run over without hitting the edge.

One simple change but it is not the same shot. it is a variation.Β  Β Β 

Β 

@North ButteΒ (and any other): I added a picture taken from clip by Rick Shiels. He's with Sir Nick Faldo at Cruden Bay. It's early season and very cold. They're playing a couple of holes.Β 

Faldo's first putt is miles short. It sort of serves as a reference. The next putt -couple of yards-Β  he rolls in. And then he keeps on going. The picture I uploaded here he sets up for his putt to win the hole.Β 

Β 

It is not about this particular stroke but good players adjust all the time and prepare for the shot they have in mind.

That's why I believe it is smart to have variations at hand.Β 

Great watch:Β http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfig_x7EoQ4

Β 

As someone who has the putting yips, I have putted conventional, LHL, claw(s) and recently with a broomstick before settling on a armlock. I can put a million different strokes on the ball (lead with right arm, lead with left, rock the shoulders, change grips, hit up on it etc) at a time when I was yipping I could do a few a round to keep my body guessing... but I think it was just a band aid for getting something that I didnt yip with. Cant think how one can breed consistency with a variety of different strokes. Also, feel is not real and I think what we "think" we are doing or "feel" is not always a material shift away from our actual stroke.. Good luck, golf is hard... putting is often the hardest part!

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly ZΒ Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5Β 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Β 

The ideal speed for it to go in from six feet is more than "just before running out of momentum" because you're not a robot, and if you're trying to hit the putts so they barely reach the hole… you'll leave far too many short putts short, or they'll wobble too much in the last foot of their journey that you'll miss some.

Β 

There are plenty of times a good putter can intentionally alter pace on shorter putts in order to have more success.

Β 

Pace is by far the single most important part of putting, and this includes the ability to control the pace at which you hit shorter putts… because the difference between playing a 3.5' putt at 4' or 6' pace can change the read significantly.

You do what works for you and for "plenty of players" I'll stick to what works for me. I have a mental image of the pace at which I want putts to enter the hole and I simply try my best to roll the ball so that it matches that visualization.Β 

Β 

And yes, I'm quite aware that the speed at which the ball rolls affects how much it breaks.Β 

On 4/26/2024 at 1:00 AM, Haroputt said:

Never really thought about thisΒ 

but after thinking about I have four differentΒ instinct ways of puttingΒ 

the knocker. Inside 10 feetΒ 

tap putt. Longer puttsΒ 

push cut. -the left to right bender

The pull stroke . Β Breaker right to leftΒ 

Maybe I am naΓ―ve, but how would there ever be anyway that spin can ever effect a putt?

Like the ball is not sliding across the ground like a bowling ball, there is friction and the ball would immediately jump the direction it is spinning and start rolling straight from there.

So are you essentially just saying you are aiming straight on a left to righter and pulling it? and vice-versa. That seems very inconsistent as opposed to just aiming left...

39 minutes ago, Patnachts said:

Maybe I am naΓ―ve, but how would there ever be anyway that spin can ever effect a putt?

Like the ball is not sliding across the ground like a bowling ball, there is friction and the ball would immediately jump the direction it is spinning and start rolling straight from there.

So are you essentially just saying you are aiming straight on a left to righter and pulling it? and vice-versa. That seems very inconsistent as opposed to just aiming left...

Q Maybe I am naΓ―ve, but how would there ever be anyway that spin can ever effect a putt?

A Definitely end overΒ  end roll topspin will keep the ball on line . Very essential on slow greenΒ  and uphillers that can veer the ball off line

Β 

Q Like the ball is not sliding across the ground like a bowling ball, there is friction and the ball would immediately jump the direction it is spinning and start rolling straight from there.

A Not sure what bowler you are. Bowers have to deal with lanes that are oiled daily and the pro bowler puts heavy drawspinΒ  and start the ballΒ  at the outside dots and move the ball across the pins with heavy hook/draw spin

Β 

Q So are you essentially just saying you are aiming straight on a left to righter and pulling it? and vice-versa. That seems very inconsistent as opposed to just aiming left...

A So for breaking putt , it easier to think that the ball breaks toward the cup, I look for a spot somewhere on the break line to aim for and let gravity/slopeΒ  do its thing ,Β  not sure if its a pull / or a pushΒ Β  It just goes to the spot I aim at in a straight fashion and then let the Golfing gods move the ball towards the cup once I hit my spot . My part is done .Β 

The breaking puttΒ  is unlike bowling where I need heavy topspin , for breaking putts i putt with a lighter touch

Edited by Haroputt

1 minute ago, Haroputt said:

Q Maybe I am naΓ―ve, but how would there ever be anyway that spin can ever effect a putt?

A Definitely end overΒ  end roll topspin will keep the ball on line . Very essential on slow greenΒ  and uphillers that can veer the ball off line

Β 

Q Like the ball is not sliding across the ground like a bowling ball, there is friction and the ball would immediately jump the direction it is spinning and start rolling straight from there.

A Not sure what bowler you are. Bowers have to deal with lanes that are oiled daily and the pro bowler puts heavy drawspinΒ  and start the ballΒ  at the outside dots and move the ball across the pins with heavy hook/draw spin

Β 

Q So are you essentially just saying you are aiming straight on a left to righter and pulling it? and vice-versa. That seems very inconsistent as opposed to just aiming left...

A So for breaking putt , it easier to think that the ball breaks toward the cup, I look for a spot somewhere on the break line to aim for and let gravity to its thing ,Β  not sure if its a pull / or a pushΒ Β  It just goes to the spot I aim at in a straight fashion and then let the Golfing gods move the ball towards the cup . Its is unlike bowling where I need heavy topspin , for breaking putts i putt with a lighter touch

I was meaning more about side spin, I can see how topspin would effect the ball. My question was more about adding draw or fade spin to a putt, which just seems physically impossible to me.

5 minutes ago, Patnachts said:

I was meaning more about side spin, I can see how topspin would effect the ball. My question was more about adding draw or fade spin to a putt, which just seems physically impossible to me.

Yes it possible I seen video of golfer cutspin the ball while putting Β  and draw by hitting of the toe and flicking the ball up the green

Its not optimal to do this , I just saying in very minuet quantity to create the feeling

In reality it is a fraction of what I imagine it to be

Edited by Haroputt

I can hit a putt where I want.Β  When I struggle, it is the first play on a new course and I cannot read the ups/down yet.Β  All of this said, I have played with side spin on the ball and other than needing it to grab the rough a bit*, I have no idea how this is a gain to anybody.Β  Of course, topspin helps a ton and more than any MOI or different putter can deliver.Β  The side spin ends up becoming different types of spin depending on how hard you hit it... it does not stay on the same axis for long, but it can for a while.

Β 

*There is one hole on a course from my youth where you have to start a putt in the fringe to get it anywhere near the hole (from the short tier of the green) - playing a right to left topspin into the fringe could get you another foot in the fringe before it started to descend at a torrent pace to the hole.Β  All of the good players did this and it worked great.Β  Just playing it straight required too little pace in the fringe and it could get stuck there.

6 hours ago, Patnachts said:

I can recall reading an article about this a long time ago.Β  Essentially a myth and you are just hitting the ball with a glancing blow.Β  Far better to hit it square and on line.Β  Within a very, very short distance the ball is rolling end over end no matter what you think you did to the ball.

Ping G430 10K 10.5ΒΊ Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9ΒΊ TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3ironΒ Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56Β°, SM4 60Β°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize