2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How Many Putting Strokes Do You Have?

Seeing if I need to learn or practice another.

I currently have three: my normal stroke, topspin and I then I also hit one towards the toe if I am worried about it getting away from me (down hill).  Any others that people use frequently?

I used to laugh at this, but learning a topspin stroke has been awesome on long putts, rough greens and off of the green.

At least 4 types of strokes. Mainly Pareto's charge or die distribution to give luck a chance (Penick).     

80% or more where I hit the ball just after low point on the upswing slightly on/under the equator. CHARGE!

18% or less where I hit the ball on the down beat: short putts, fast down hill runners (as shown by G. Low) on /above the equator. DIE! 

1% or less towards the toe is for for fast short breaking putts (as shown by D. Pelz -thank you Sir)

1% or less anything that comes intuitively to mind because the shot asks for it - a chance or risk depending on the flip side of the coin. 

-In remembrance of Paul Runyun. I owe him a lot.

There are a few guys I've played regularly with who do the hit-it-on-the-toe thing on fast downhill putts. I have not observed that they are any more able than the rest of us to stop the ball near the hole instead of seeing it run by. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but if a downhill putt is so slick you need a special putting stroke, it's probably so slick the ball won't stop anyway. 

• Like 1

Putting is by far the strongest part of my game and I use two.  Dead centered which is 90%+.  Top spin when the ball is in the fringe/rough.  Not a fan of toe because I find that it can sometimes backfire on you by the face twisting open if your grip pressure is too light and distance control can become unpredictable. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

When I want to draw my putts, I close my stance, strengthen my grip, and play the ball back. Conversely, when I want to cut my putts to hold them against the wind, I'll open the front foot, play the ball slightly forward in my stance, and use a neutral or weaker grip.

Oh wait, that's my irons. Putting? Hell to the no I don't try anything like micromanaging my putting stroke. I practice putting relentlessly (by far the single most important club in the bag). And I overwhelmingly want consistency. Pick my line, feel my speed - then line up the line on my ball with the line on my putter, and swing slightly in-to-straight (my "natural" stroke - everyone has one IMO) ... clubhead finishing on the line the ball should travel. Always want exactly center club contact, with the putter face exactly perpendicular to the line of the putt.

I have heard about (and occasionally played with) all sorts of stroke manipulations people have talked about over the years. Trying to hit more up or down on the ball, playing with shaft angle/lean, even the "hit a fast downhill putt off the toe" thing. None of them ever worked for me. That is, none added more consistency. Yes, hitting a ball off-center and closer to the toe does,  indeed, tend to dampen impact, but I find it far easier to control speed by just taking a shorter stroke with center-club contact. Anything else just seems to add an unnecessary wild card to the equation. 

Not saying that stuff might not work for anyone else, but I'm absolutely certain it does not work for me. Best way I can guarantee I'll miss a putt is to overthink it and try to get clever. 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Two. The normal one for most putts. The normal one has some natural wrist break on longer swings. The other one is a firm gripped, short stroke that is only for tapping things downhill or within 3 feet. I find if i try to use my normal stroke and maybe slow the tempo down for short putts I end up leaving the face open. Firm grip with a short, quick stroke works better.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

I have one putting stroke. When I have to hit a downhill putt, I just… hit it softer. When I am putting through a good amount of fringe, the only thing I do differently is put the ball forward in my stance a bit for a little bit more loft.

My putts all tend to have a little bit of forward spin. AoA > dynamic loft by a degree or two or three.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I putt a little differently on slower greens that require more of hit.  On faster greens, I can stroke the ball more with less hit.  On really fast greens I might deloft the putter a little at address to try and get it to roll right away off the face.  I usually don't play on greens that are really fast.  

@iacas "were those magic grits?"   great line from a great movie.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

13 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

This is going to sound like a curt response but isn't intended in that way.  

The answer........as many as it takes to get the ball in the hole that day.  35-40 years ago, I was scrambling on mini-tours and in Monday qualifiers.  One of the worst feelings during warm-up, with a paycheck on the line, was to not be able to sink a putt.  Even to this day, I will try all kinds of weird things to make the ball roll the way I want.  Moving it forward and back in my stance, closer or further from my body, left-hand low, claw, whatever it takes.  Some days the damn ball still won't drop and then you just shrug your shoulders and say "Golf is hard."

I do not find this to be a flippant response at all.  You understand what I am asking.  Most probably think that this is a joke and and that some Jailbird will solve all of their putting woes, but there is nothing like adapting to your surroundings.  I have long believed that good putters can do all of these things if they can read greens and have athletic ability to keep the face square - I can put the same with just about any putter and with any grip, but I do have my preferences.

Anybody who at least does not have a topspin type of upper putting stroke is losing strokes on most greens, IMO.  If you can do this all of the time, then good, but I cannot so I only do it for longer putts, putts off of the green and on bumpy greens like ones that were just aerated.  If they greens are pure enough that I can skid the ball for a bit, I just use a normal stroke.

I occasionally use the putter as a chipper and play it forward with loft to get the ball into the air.  I guess that this is a type of putt.

13 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

• Like 2

Each of my personalities has its own stroke 🙂

As @OnTheBag said... as many as it takes.

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

On 4/22/2024 at 9:53 AM, jda said:

Seeing if I need to learn or practice another.

I currently have three: my normal stroke, topspin and I then I also hit one towards the toe if I am worried about it getting away from me (down hill).  Any others that people use frequently?

I used to laugh at this, but learning a topspin stroke has been awesome on long putts, rough greens and off of the green.

That work? None. That don't work? Too numerous to list...

Really just one.  Hit ball solid and on line. 

I use 3 different grips, any alignment of my feet, different ball positions, don't think about the stroke. Nothing about the putt determines any of the above.  It's all how I feel and see what's going on.  It's all totally natural.  Changes hole to hole and sometimes putt to putt.  I don't think about it at all.  Hit ball solid on line, Done.  I average about 32 putts per round.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:02 PM, MountainKing said:

Anybody have any tips on how to get that low spin low launch putt?

No idea. I've put a 1000g tour X shaft in my flatstick and tipped it 18". Still seeing 6000 RPM spin rates. Any suggestions? 😉 

2 hours ago, jda said:

Serious question?  Those of who think that this is a dumb question or though, what kinds of putters are you?  In St George this week on 2 courses that I never played before and had 26 and 27 putts using 3 different strokes.  I will stick with this.

I thought I was good putter when I messed around with a billion putting strokes. I became the best version of myself putting when I stuck with one stroke. 

I also have no idea what a "topspin stroke" would be. Ideally all putting strokes would be level to ascending at impact.

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

4 hours ago, b.mattay said:

No idea. I've put a 1000g tour X shaft in my flatstick and tipped it 18". Still seeing 6000 RPM spin rates. Any suggestions? 😉 

I thought I was good putter when I messed around with a billion putting strokes. I became the best version of myself putting when I stuck with one stroke. 

I also have no idea what a "topspin stroke" would be. Ideally all putting strokes would be level to ascending at impact.

Top spin stroke is an ascending motion where the the strike is higher up compared to a level stroke.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

8 hours ago, jda said:

Serious question?  Those of who think that this is a dumb question or though, what kinds of putters are you?  In St George this week on 2 courses that I never played before and had 26 and 27 putts using 3 different strokes.  I will stick with this.

One of the best putters in the world. And I know putt counts are a terrible way to determine how well you putted.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, Ripper212 said:

I want to learn a backspin putt that will check up once it gets past the hole

You need a steeper angle of attack and make sure you're using a high spin ball

• Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy