Bridgestone B330 rx

MizzyMan

Another RX review with a surprising ending....

6.6 index...swing speed unknown but the Bridgestone fitting guys are here Friday so can report back but my normal driver distance is about 235 (9.5 degree 580XD)... 7 iron 150

Driver: Ball feels very good but not seeing a lot of extra distance...when hit well might be seeing 5-10 yards. My driver and I aren't on good terms right now so I may not be the best judge for tee shots. My playing partner was crushing these balls off the tee however with even a mishit flying farther than solid contact with his normal Taylor Mades...I think Bridgestone will owe me a commission because he is going to buy out the stock at the PGA Superstore!

Irons: This is where we both saw and felt a tremendous difference...the ball explodes off the club face. The feel is incredible. Ball flight is noticeably higher and 1/2 to 1 club further...we both had to back off club selection once we proved it was no fluke.

Spin: I felt full swing shots stuck a little better but greenside spin was not as good as I expected on the short chips etc. Maybe the higher trajectory helped the biting power too on the full shots?

Putting: Nice and soft feeling but acted a little more like a harder ball...our greens are recovering from some problems and are a little long so they are extremely slow...anxious to try these on "normal" greens.

The surprise ending is that I had my first hole in one today with this ball at the age of 50. 182 yard 5-iron...beautiful ball flight landing on the back side of the ridge...looked good but we couldn't see it go in. Quite surprised to find it in the hole when we got there!! Can't give the credit to the ball but might make a good commercial!! but I really like the feel and flight of this ball...especially off the irons.

Need to play it some more with a grooved driver swing if I can get it back...also looking forward to the ball fitting to see what they recommend.

Congrats on the Ace! :hi: :good:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So first round with ball, next to Hurrice Ike (near Dallas) drizzly, windy (up to 25) humid.

Very stable in wind, very controllable trajectory, good spin (pretty much 330s) feels great (like old Titleist Professional 90) and putting is great, excellent distance control nice feel.

Then I find a Cally Tour i.....very nice too, not quite as soft (about same off tee) as 330RX, very stable in wind, comparable iron spin....

SO guess I have choice, though 330RX more durable cover...

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Wow love this ball, great towering Iron shots, or low stingers, feel is amazing. Didn't notice too much distance lost (I usually swing right around 105) compared to the 330s, maybe a couple yards if even. Putting was so nice with this ball, still got a nice click like with the 330s, but a lot more touch on slippery downhillers.

Great thread! Different opinions on length, spin, etc etc really speak to the differences in how different folks contact the ball.

Played the RX for four rounds or so. Because I really like the feel off the putter, I'm going to stick with it for awhile longer, otherwise I'd be keeping the URS in play.

I've found it tougher to work the ball off the driver and the irons. It just doesn't turn as much.

The spin from 100 in, to me, is noticeably less than the URS or last years B330S.

For whatever reason, the ball is longer off of my irons.

My swing speed is not high and matches up with what the RX is geared toward but my style of play needs the ball to spin more than the RX does.

UPDATE: Played 9 and hit 3 balls per hole & most of my original impressions are the same with one exception. On several greens I did the Pepsi Spin Challenge with the RX, ProV1 and URS. The RX spins very, very similar to both the ProV1 and the URS. I was impressed.

Again, for whatever reason the RX just won't turn off the driver ??

Right with you Mizzy. I have made a couple of inquiries to Titleist in the last couple of years regarding compression issues. In balata days I hit the 90, and felt I benefited a little from the 100's on the hotter months. The packaging was clear about the compression and sans packaging it was pretty standard among all mfrs. that black and red ball graphics denoted a 90ish compression ball, all black meant 100's and all reds were 80's. Noting that prov1x had the black/red combo I asked if that meant it was a lower compression ball comparted to the ProV. Their response was no response. I think they prefer to market employing smoke and mirrors-not unusual in golf, but it can waste a lot of our money along the way. I am anxious to try this RX ball. It's like someone at Titleist defected to Bridgestone with my emails.

i shot a quick round of 9 today with the RX, so these are just my first impressions--definitely need more time, but initial impressions are good (for my game):

driver: *very* soft off the driver, with a nice flat and boring trajectory. to me, the RX feels softer off the driver than any other tour ball i've played (and i've played most of them), and a bit softer than the Maxfli Tour Fire and NXT Tour. seems to be as long as anything i've ever hit (SS low-mid 90's), *possibly* the longest ball for me. i played side by side with a Srixon Z-URS, and it was consistently 5-10 yds longer off the 6 holes that i hit driver off.

irons: felt good off the irons. didn't seem significantly longer or shorter than any other tour ball for me in this department. nice mid-trajectory.

wedges: behaved very well on pitches and chips for me. in fact, i stoned a pin to 3 inches from about 60 yds. seemed to be the Z-URS's equal in this department. more time is necessary for a better evaluation.

putter: soft. feels like your run-of-the-mill tour ball off the putter to me.

all-in-all, so far, so good. seems like an NXT Tour with better greenside spin, and better trajectory, which might make it the perfect ball for me.

picked up a dozen the other day and played 18 with them today. I've been rotating between the B330's and the old Precept pwrdrive. Off the driver the RX is very soft but not mushy, i didn't notice any real distance gains but there was definitely a spin reduction. I've been a little loose with my driver lately and my big fade was just a little fade today. trajectory was nice for me, mid-high and a little extra roll. Irons were the same for me distance wise, but the ball feels good off the face, no fliers for me. short game wise they were pretty good. i wasn't backing up wedges like with the 330s but all my approach shots were a couple feet from my ball mark. couldn't get the one hop stop chip working, but got a couple 2 hop stoppers. really soft off the putter face but it wouldn't go in the hole on command! :rolleyes: went thru 2 balls in 18 holes, one scuffed pretty bad on a cart path and the other had a pretty good cut in it from god knows what. Overall i was happy with it but need a couple more rounds to really figure it out. My driver ss is between 105-110 and the Bstone ball fitting guys recommeded this ball to reduce my driver spin a bit, which i think it did!

purchased @ golf galaxy location

4 handicap

95 mph swing speed

conclusion

big thumbs down after about 100 shots , 50 prov vs 330 rx

1.prov1 and prov1x had more distance even thou they were scuffed up practiceballs.

2.did not spin as much as anticipated.

all hype i feel suckered.

Prov1derrick,

My swing speed is the same as yours. Are you playing the prov1x or v1, and why are you playing one over the other. I'm playing the "x" now and like it a lot. Was thinking about trying the "1" because I read its for moderate swing speeds. But Golf mag says there both about the same distance wise for a 90mph ss.

thanks

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

I got one round in with the RX over the weekend and for me the ball really worked. This season I've played a lot of different balls, ProV1X, Callaway i & iX, Srixon Zurs & c, TM Red LDP and Burner TP. Before the RX I liked the two Callaway balls the best, iX for its overall playability and the i for feel. With all the balls listed above I haven't really noticed any distance difference.

Off the tee with the RX I picked up quite a few yards mainly in carry. I could honestly see the distance gain from just the flight of the ball, it stayed in the air for noticeably longer. Specifically on one hole I'm always in between a 6 and 5 iron out after my tee shot when it's a white flag. It was a red flag this weekend and I was a smooth 8 iron distance out after I teed off with the RX. The ball landed next to a fairway bunker I had never reached before. This was pretty much a regular occurrence for my solid drives.

Spin wise I found it on par with everything else I've played. On one hole from ~65yds out I hit my 60* to pin high, went to fix my divot and when I looked back up at the green my ball had spun back a good 10 feet.

Feel off the driver is soft, not marshmallow soft - just a touch softer then the other premium balls.

I was having a pretty crappy round with my irons and woods off the deck, so I can't comment on the ball from that standpoint yet. But overall I'm happy with the RX.

After hitting the RX, I am thinking what Orangeblood is thinking, i saw the specs before

the RX came out, and after hittting it, I am thinking they re-packaged the U-tri tour because the U-tri tour is still in demand today. Maybe Bridgestone said , well lets

get the U-tri tour back on the market as the "RX"??

It may be a whole new ball, but just a speculation...

After hitting the RX, I am thinking what Orangeblood is thinking, i saw the specs before

the RX came out, and after hittting it, I am thinking they re-packaged the U-tri tour because the U-tri tour is still in demand today. Maybe Bridgestone said , well lets

Sorry guys, there is no way this ball is a repackaged U-tri Tour, based on durability alone. My spin-milled destroys the U-tri Tour, while the RX stands up to it pretty well.

Now, if you said it was an updated version of the U-Tri Tour (which I thought was a great ball), I might not argue with you ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I'm 57 with a 0.2 index; I've played probably 90 rounds since May, with at least 25 of those rounds being competitive tournament play. My swing speed is about 100, and I spend a couple of hours every two weeks on a swing monitor with a coach.

At one time or another have used every major brand of ball: B-330s, Callaway tour ix, Prov1 (not the X), and Nike One Platinum.

I've played the ProVs and the B-330s more than the others, but there literally isn't a dime's worth of difference in the bunch. They all go, they all stop when hit correctly, they all don't stop when you're in the rough.

Buy what you like, enjoy it, hit it straight, and you're score just fine.

4 handicap

95 mph swing speed

conclusion

1.prov1 and prov1x had more distance even thou they were scuffed up practiceballs.

Prov1derrick,

My swing speed is the same as yours. Are you playing the prov1x or v1, and why are you playing one over the other. I'm playing the "x" now and like it a lot. Was thinking about trying the "1" because I read its for moderate swing speeds. But Golf mag says there both about the same distance wise for a 90mph ss.

thanks

I like the non -x pro-v 1 it seems to go higher and check a little more.

I bought a case of the new b330 -s , 330 rx, and used pro v1's .

Played 3 balls of each on each shot and confirmed what i said before the pro v1

performs better from driver to wedge spin.

I think that once the marketing blitz and the buzz fades in a couple months

these ball will have to be reduced beacuse they do not perform as well or better

than the prov1 line.

4 handicap

95 mph swing speed

conclusion

Prov1derrick,

thanks

I like the non -x pro-v 1 it seems to go higher and check a little more.

I bought a case of the new b330 -s , 330 rx, and used pro v1's .

Played 3 balls of each on each shot and confirmed what i said before the pro v1

performs better from driver to wedge spin.

I think that once the marketing blitz and the buzz fades in a couple months

these ball will have to be reduced beacuse they do not perform as well or better

than the prov1 line.

thanks,

results from golf mag ball test: 90mph ss

Prov1x driver spin 3,344 8-iron 8,072, Sandwedge 12,299

Prov1 3,289 7,923 Sandwedge 11,914

balls are almost identical.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

Well said, couldn't agree more.

I'm 57 with a 0.2 index; I've played probably 90 rounds since May, with at least 25 of those rounds being competitive tournament play. My swing speed is about 100, and I spend a couple of hours every two weeks on a swing monitor with a coach.

At one time or another have used every major brand of ball: B-330s, Callaway tour ix, Prov1 (not the X), and Nike One Platinum.

I've played the ProVs and the B-330s more than the others, but there literally isn't a dime's worth of difference in the bunch. They all go, they all stop when hit correctly, they all don't stop when you're in the rough.

Buy what you like, enjoy it, hit it straight, and you're score just fine.

Sorry guys, there is no way this ball is a repackaged U-tri Tour, based on durability alone. My spin-milled destroys the U-tri Tour, while the RX stands up to it pretty well.

Now, if you said it was an updated version of the U-Tri Tour (which I thought was a great ball), I might not argue with you ...

Not saying it is repackaged....updated very well could be.

I have played them side by side twice now, and the differences are very,very small if any. I have literally hit both balls on every shot. Definetly not worth the extra $20. I really didn't expect any difference anyway. I was very skeptical in the beginning. My results are obvious to me.

Tough group.

You could also say the new ProV1 is not that different from the original.

It's just reformulated.

Odd, I found the original ProV1 longer than the UTri Tour.

I found the B330-S (2007) as long as the current ProV1.

Bridgestone has evidently improved the ball. But my local guy doesn't have the RX Ball yet.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Played the front nine with the RX. Have been playing the TM TP Red all season. Swing speed 95mph with the driver. 11 handicap.

The RX was 15 yards shorter off the tee. Five yards longer with irons. Really soft off all clubs. I switched back to the TP Red on the back nine.

Same exact results for me!

My SS with driver is 100mph. I also play the TP Red as my gamer and I am a 12 index. I played both balls side by side the other day. I consistently hit the TP Red longer with the driver about 10 yards longer also. With the irons the RX was about 7 yards longer measured with Sky Caddie SG4. The RX did feel super soft. It was also very soft with the putter and most puts came up short where the TP red was at or slightly past the hole.

Spin / Check seemed like the RX was a little better but the flight was also higher so maybe that contributed a bit. I don't know if the RX can earn it's way into my bag. I might try it on my home course where driver really is not needed too much.

RX= U-tri tour......save your money. I can't tell the diff. other than the sound.

Totally disagree. While the U-Tri had a urethane cover it's core was significantly firmer and therefore did not go nearly as far as the RX for me.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Played the front nine with the RX. Have been playing the TM TP Red all season. Swing speed 95mph with the driver. 11 handicap.

The RX was 15 yards shorter off the tee. Five yards longer with irons. Really soft off all clubs. I switched back to the TP Red on the back nine.

Similar results. I played a TP Black as a single last week and hit pretty similar shots on drives on a few holes. The RX was almost 20 yards shorter than the Black. Nice around the greens, but not overly impressive. Nice ball but not for $43 a dozen.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I have used six of them out of the box and I'm ready to give the rest of them away to my father in-law. I had the same experience as the previous posters, short off of the driver, same distance with the irons, OK feel, average spin, but a great putting ball. I don't like it as much as the TP Black, Pro V1, or the 2007 330-S. I really wanted to like it but it just doesn't fit my game very well.

6 hdcp, 95 mph swing speed, 58 yrs young: I bought a dz. RX balls and have played about 45 holes with the ball. The ball feels light to me when you toss it up. Driver distance is 10-15 yds less than the Cally Ix ball I have been using. Iron shots seemed to play the usual distance. Putting feel was very good. I nutted a drive yesterday at my home course and came up quite short of where I thought I would be from past experience. I will give the rest of these away and go back to Callaway ball.

I want to hate this ball but can't

I've played 36 with it and just can't seem to get a handle on it. With a 10 handicap and a 96-100 mph swingspeed I thought this ball would fit perfectly, but I just can't figure out how to play it. Normally I play the TA2 SPN, I've been moving towards the Nike One Plat and Srixon ZUR-C because I like the greenside control, but I KNOW I'm giving up some distance off the driver and irons.

With the RX

Irons are at least a half club to a full club longer, driver is about equal. Nice flat trajectory but the apex is higher then my current ball of choice. Feels good off of every club but I have a hard time shaping shots with it. Durability is FANTASTIC

Doesn't have the spin around the greens that other "tour" balls have but for some strange reason I've been playing better with it. Nice feel off the putter as well. Shot 6 over and 5 over so its not like the ball is killing me, but for some reason I just don't like the ball as much as my old TA2 SPN.

I would echo the sentiment that the RX simply feels and performs like a more expensive NXT Tour/HX Bite/Burner TP, and therefore to me is $5-10 more expensive then it needs to be. I'd be all over this ball at $30-35 but at $40, I think it may be a tougher sell.

For sure I need to get a couple more rounds in with it before completely writing it off.

Greetings everyone. Just joined the site. To answer your question, I played a few of the new Bridgestone B330 RX balls last week. I normally like the B330 ( black), they are alot like the ProV1x. I found that the 330RX is set up for someone that swings 100MPH or less....so for your swing they sound like just the ticket. They have great distance and feel around the greens. Anyone have any feedback on the Srixon balls?

Cheers!

I thought this ball would be the perfect ball, but I played it last week, and it just didn't

WOW me...it was soft and long, but I didn't think it held the greens as well as i wanted it to.. I played it alongside of the Tour I, I just think this is abetter ball, the Tour I is hard to beat..it is awesome off the driver, irons, and sticks to the green like glue IMHO...

I have RX's left, so I will hit them, and who knows, maybe they will WOW me...

Greetings everyone. Just joined the site. To answer your question, I played a few of the new Bridgestone B330 RX balls last week. I normally like the B330 ( black), they are alot like the ProV1x. I found that the 330RX is set up for someone that swings 100MPH or less....so for your swing they sound like just the ticket. They have great distance and feel around the greens. Anyone have any feedback on the Srixon balls?

Cheers!

Not to thread-jack, I use Srixons also. Never used a bad one. Just depends on if I need more distance or not on which one I play with.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!