Bridgestone B330 rx

MizzyMan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the B330 RX ball a few days ago. I used one ball for the round and shot 78. The ball held up well, just one light scuff from a cart path, I think the cover is durable like other Bridgestone/Precept balls.

Cover is soft and gives good bite

Seamless dimples

Alignment line

Logos look good (but I'd rather have just a "B" logo above the number and then "Bridgestone Golf Tour B330-RX" as the alignment text)

Logos are both in the same direction (Callaway has one upside down)

Gray numbers look nice

Crisp dimple edges (no paint blobs like V1's have)

3-piece construction

Dislikes:

Price is kind of high ($43/Dozen)

Performance didn't feel very "lively" to me

Can spin too much on soft greens

Overall

I thought I was the target customer for this kind of ball, I hit my 7 iron 150 and a good drive is 250. I've used a lot of Precept and Bridgestone balls over the years and I really wanted to like this ball. But overall I thought the B330 RX was just OK. I was hoping that it would feel a bit more lively, it kind of has a hollow feeling even on solid hits. I don't know if I need that much spin on the greens I usually play. I would rather have the ball land and stick than spin back.

It will be interesting to see what other people say about it. Not a bad ball but I'm not sure it will be my #1 ball. I still have 2 more left so I'll give those a shot.

********************************************************************************

Curious to know if you have any loss of distance hitting irons with the RX? Your swing speed with driver should be similar to mine, 92-94ss.

I have been playing athe V1X and hit it about 240 - 250, but loose about 1 club with the irons, usual hit 7i 150, pro Vix 140 yds.

Tried the Wilson TX4 today, very good ball, was spinnng it back alot. Distance with driver was only 225 - 235. No loss of distance with irons. I prefer to have the ball hit, hop and stop, not spin back.

I really like the Pro V1x but my swing speed with the irons just doesn't compress it enough.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

Got to play 18 yesterday with the B330-RX. I wasn't able to do a head to head comparison with my old ball (2007 B330-S), due to a full foursome and a full course, but I know the course pretty well and laser all my yardages, so I think my assessment of this ball is pretty accurate.

First, a little about me. I'm currently a 5.2 handicap with very limited practice and play time (maybe one range session and one round a week in season). My swing speed is in the high 90's-low 100's, with a fair degree of variability. The best balls for me that I've found so far are the new Callaway i and the 2007 Bridgestone B330-S, and my comparisons are primarily in relation to those two balls.

Initial Impressions:

Driver length: I actually think this ball is slightly shorter that both the Callaway i and the 2007 B330-S on good swings, probably because I'm close to the upper end of the spectrum that this ball was designed for when I swing hard. However, when I would swing about 80%, I was getting very acceptable distance, which is something I hadn't seen before in a premium ball.

Overall length: This is what really surprised me. I was hitting career 3-woods with this ball, and I picked up about 1/2 to a full club on my irons as well. This more than offset any lack of big distance gains with the driver. As another plus, my distances seemed to be much more consistent. Once I adjusted to the new yardages, I spent pretty much the whole day pin-high. Although this is only from one round, my dispersion seemed to be much tighter on my irons than with my previous balls.

Spin and short game: This ball delivers excellent spin, withough being excessive. I was consistently backing up my wedges and staying close to my pitch marks all day. I short-sided myself several times, and had no trouble stopping the ball. This ball feels very soft when chipping and pitching, which I think inspired a lot of confidence for me. Reminescent of some of the old maxfli and precept balls (remember the m3?, loved that ball!) in that regard.

Durability: Shockingly good. If a urethane can still be playable after getting hit head on into a tree trunk from about 40 yards with a 2 hybrid (Don't ask ...), it's durable enough for me. Played a full round with 2 balls, both of which were still playable after the round.

Overall Impression: Although I still need to test out the new B330-S and B330, The RX is now my gamer and the current benchmark. What I find interesting is that I probably would not have played this ball if it was picked solely from hitting driver or being on a launch monitor, and really confirms to me that you need to use real world data/experience when selecting your ball. This is an excellent ball that I think is going to be a great seller for Bridgestone.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Do you feel that the RX was the same distance off the Driver Carry yardage and was not rolling out due to higher spin rates. This is the biggest consideration for me is reducing the driver spin numbers. I would like to see how the new RX will standup next to the new B330-S 4 piece. Also, what driver were you using??

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Got to play 18 yesterday with the B330-RX. I wasn't able to do a head to head comparison with my old ball (2007 B330-S), due to a full foursome and a full course, but I know the course pretty well and laser all my yardages, so I think my assessment of this ball is pretty accurate.

First, a little about me. I'm currently a 5.2 handicap with very limited practice and play time (maybe one range session and one round a week in season). My swing speed is in the high 90's-low 100's, with a fair degree of variability. The best balls for me that I've found so far are the new Callaway i and the 2007 Bridgestone B330-S, and my comparisons are primarily in relation to those two balls.

Initial Impressions:

Driver length: I actually think this ball is slightly shorter that both the Callaway i and the 2007 B330-S on good swings, probably because I'm close to the upper end of the spectrum that this ball was designed for when I swing hard. However, when I would swing about 80%, I was getting very acceptable distance, which is something I hadn't seen before in a premium ball.

Overall length: This is what really surprised me. I was hitting career 3-woods with this ball, and I picked up about 1/2 to a full club on my irons as well. This more than offset any lack of big distance gains with the driver. As another plus, my distances seemed to be much more consistent. Once I adjusted to the new yardages, I spent pretty much the whole day pin-high. Although this is only from one round, my dispersion seemed to be much tighter on my irons than with my previous balls.

Spin and short game: This ball delivers excellent spin, withough being excessive. I was consistently backing up my wedges and staying close to my pitch marks all day. I short-sided myself several times, and had no trouble stopping the ball. This ball feels very soft when chipping and pitching, which I think inspired a lot of confidence for me. Reminescent of some of the old maxfli and precept balls (remember the m3?, loved that ball!) in that regard.

Durability: Shockingly good. If a urethane can still be playable after getting hit head on into a tree trunk from about 40 yards with a 2 hybrid (Don't ask ...), it's durable enough for me. Played a full round with 2 balls, both of which were still playable after the round.

Overall Impression: Although I still need to test out the new B330-S and B330, The RX is now my gamer and the current benchmark. What I find interesting is that I probably would not have played this ball if it was picked solely from hitting driver or being on a launch monitor, and really confirms to me that you need to use real world data/experience when selecting your ball. This is an excellent ball that I think is going to be a great seller for Bridgestone.

Great Post!

My swing speed is very close to yours. I'm not as good (12 index) but my driver SS is usually right at 100mph most of the time. I just went through the Bridgestone ball fitting and was recommended the B330S. The fitter also mentioned to try out the RX when it becomes available. I was concerned about the RX because my SS is right near the limit as you described before.

I wonder if your 3 wood and other iron distances were longer because you swing a little easier with them? I could live with an 80% driver swing for the trade off for all the other benefits you mentioned.

I really didn't want to pay the Extra $$ for the RX but now I need to try some out just to see.

I got a sleeve today and played nine holes with them. I usually play the b330s and prov1x. Honestly I couldn't tell a big difference from the b330s. I may of picked up a few yards on with the driver and irons. I thought it felt a little softer, and maybe spun a little more than the b330s. It was crowded out on the course so I didn't get a chance to really test them out. But there was really nothing that blew me away, and for the price I feel more comfortable playing the prov's.

steve

We've been selling the crap out of these balls since we got them in, but I'm interested in whether or not this ball is going to have legs. Everyone that I've talked to liked it, but they seem to agree that the price is a little high.

40 bucks is premium price for what they are marketing as a non-premium ball. I believe the hype that it's a premium ball for the average golfer, but there are a ton of guys out there who won't play them because they aren't premium, even though they should be playing them, if that makes sense (20 hcp playing Pro-v's).

I think this ball is a great concept, but I think it's about $5-10 over priced.

played it Saturday afternoon....very soft, much softer than the other B330 balls and needless to say softer the the ProV1x that I have been playing. launches a little higher as well...similar launch to the ProV1 for me. Good spin around the greens as well. I didn't notice much more length off the driver, maybe a couple yards. BTW my clubhead speed with driver is 103-105mph. Only played 7 holes with it...will continue to test.

played 9 holes today with an 330rx and a ProV1. I was very impressed with the rx. A little longer than the ProV1, spin around the greens was very similar to the prov and I felt like I was putting an old Titleist Balata. The rx is butter soft off the putter. Not ready to declare it a better ball than the Prov1 but i am going to continue to test it. Driver SS is just over 100.

played 9 holes today with an 330rx and a ProV1. I was very impressed with the rx. A little longer than the ProV1, spin around the greens was very similar to the prov and I felt like I was putting an old Titleist Balata. The rx is butter soft off the putter. Not ready to declare it a better ball than the Prov1 but i am going to continue to test it. Driver SS is just over 100.

If everyone could post:

Driver swing speed

Any distance loss or gain with driver and irons.

Where purchased the Rx's.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

I have played with a sleeve of proto RX's and some off the shelf.

Good Ball, nice feel, durable cover and ok spin.

I have hit more than a couple of FLYIERS, mid to short irons that went a 1/2-to-Full club longer than normal?

Not much difference off the driver.

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

Initial Impressions:

Great Post!

My swing speed is very close to yours. I'm not as good (12 index) but my driver SS is usually right at 100mph most of the time. I just went through the Bridgestone ball fitting and was recommended the B330S. The fitter also mentioned to try out the RX when it becomes available. I was concerned about the RX because my SS is right near the limit as you described before.

I wonder if your 3 wood and other iron distances were longer because you swing a little easier with them? I could live with an 80% driver swing for the trade off for all the other benefits you mentioned.

I really didn't want to pay the Extra $$ for the RX but now I need to try some out just to see.

I think a lot of the benefits I noticed were due to the fact that I felt like I didn't need to try and kill the ball. I wasn't initially wowed by this ball like I thougt I would be. What really impressed me was the slow realization of how consistent my distances were. Although I'm a reasonably solid player, I feel like I only hit my yardage with tour caliber balls 3/4 of the time. On the flip side, when I've tried other types balls (NXT Tour, Nike Ignite, Topflite Gamer, even the e5+), it seemed like I would get a lot of flyers. I really don't care how far I hit it right now, as long as distances are consistent. My initial impression is that this seems to be the first ball I've found that gives me that consistency, and it doesn't hurt that I hit it as long as anything else.

Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I have hit more than a couple of FLYIERS, mid to short irons that went a 1/2-to-Full club longer than normal?

I don't know about flyers, but I picked up consistent distance on all my irons, especially the mid and short irons ...

Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I don't know about flyers, but I picked up consistent distance on all my irons, especially the mid and short irons ...

got my first dozen of these balls and went to the practice area..............pitted the RX against the 330-s(07 model) and the latest ProV1........... the RX is MUCH softer than either ball and spins more than enough. but the biggest gain was putting............I guess the low compression allowed for better roll........... no skidding like the other balls.

Will play it tomorrow and add more.............

purchased @ golf galaxy location

4 handicap

95 mph swing speed

conclusion

big thumbs down after about 100 shots , 50 prov vs 330 rx

1.prov1 and prov1x had more distance even thou they were scuffed up practiceballs.

2.did not spin as much as anticipated.

all hype i feel suckered.

Despit your name having ProV1 in it and maybe a little bias to the ProV1 can you share some more thoughts on what you really didnt like about it. I was a huge Prov1 fan for many years until I tried the B330-S and like hearing the good + bad reviews on the new balls. Reason being I purchased a dozen RX's from edwinn watts and waiting for them to be shipped. I know what I'm getting with the B330-S allready and want more feed back on the RX instead of just buying the new 330-S

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

purchased @ golf galaxy location

4 handicap

95 mph swing speed

conclusion

big thumbs down after about 100 shots , 50 prov vs 330 rx

1.prov1 and prov1x had more distance even thou they were scuffed up practiceballs.

2.did not spin as much as anticipated.

all hype i feel suckered.

Despit your name having ProV1 in it and maybe a little bias to the ProV1 can you share some more thoughts on what you really didnt like about it. I was a huge Prov1 fan for many years until I tried the B330-S and like hearing the good + bad reviews on the new balls. Reason being I purchased a dozen RX's from edwinn watts and waiting for them to be shipped. I know what I'm getting with the B330-S allready and want more feed back on the RX instead of just buying the new 330-S

ok, i have dozens of golf related screen names I am not biased

trust me if i fouund a ball that would go farther and spun i would play

90 dollars a dozen.

i actually had a order of 6 dozen of the 330 rx on order personalized because i thought

this was the holy grail ball of slower swing speeds for the better player.

Just goes to show you -- all ball fittings are personal to a swing. I think "suckered" is a poor choice in words. We all know that fitting a golf ball is a crapshoot -- you get on the monitor and hope you've chosen the right ball, or just buy some in the hopes it will fit on the course.

I tried the TM LDP Red, Black, Cally Tour iX this year -- they did not fit me, but I did not blame the ball! lol. I think that is wrongheaded.

You try it and see if it fits.

I went to the Cally Tour i -- very good ball for me. And I will try the 330-RX Ball and give it time on the range and a couple of rounds on baked greens before I pronounce judgment. I assure you, I won't feel "suckered" if it doesn't work for me. That's just golf. You tinker.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I got to hit the RX and the new B-330S last week. It was my second Bridgestone fitting in the last month and this time they had the new stuff. My SS is 102.4 MPH with 2,600 RPMs with the 3 piece B-330S. Numbers were the exact same with the RX, so no need to switch. BUT with the new 4 piece B330S my spin went up to 3,200 RPMs... not good.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Just goes to show you -- all ball fittings are personal to a swing. I think "suckered" is a poor choice in words. We all know that fitting a golf ball is a crapshoot -- you get on the monitor and hope you've chosen the right ball, or just buy some in the hopes it will fit on the course.

I tried the TM LDP Red, Black, Cally Tour iX this year -- they did not fit me, but I did not blame the ball! lol. I think that is wrongheaded.

You try it and see if it fits.

I went to the Cally Tour i -- very good ball for me. And I will try the 330-RX Ball and give it time on the range and a couple of rounds on baked greens before I pronounce judgment. I assure you, I won't feel "suckered" if it doesn't work for me. That's just golf. You tinker.

Great post! I think we have all had experiences trying balls and/or clubs that SHOULD work for our game, and for some unknown reason don't.

I've been able to play a bit more with the RX, and my initial opinions seem to be holding up. I'm working at swinging more controlled with all my clubs (at around 80%), and I think it's a great ball for a smooth swinger. However, if you like to swing hard and/or have an aggressive transition, the ball might not be as good a match. Plus, if you don't like a soft ball (and I know a lot of people that prefer clicky or firmer feeling balls), you WILL NOT like the RX.

I think if you like the Cally i, you'll probably like the RX. The 2007 B330-S and the Cally i were my two favorite balls before the RX. If the wife lets me out of the house this weekend, I'll hopefully get to do some comparisons with the new 2008 B330-S ...

Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

The Golf Shop here in Pittsburgh has the new RX in stock and I bought a box and canceled my online orders. As the one post mentioned about the new 4 piece B330-S I have also heard the spin increased off the driver....not good and the new RX will be closer to the old 07 B330-S in terms of performance. Once I get out to the course I will post a review between the 07 B330-S/RX/ProV1.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

im the only one who lost distance with irons. i dont think they lived up to the hype, yet. only played one round. prefer the nike one black still so far.

Taylormade M5 9*
Taylormade M5 15*
Mizuno CLK 19* & 22* & 25*
Mizuno JPX 900F 6-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* & 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Another RX review with a surprising ending....

6.6 index...swing speed unknown but the Bridgestone fitting guys are here Friday so can report back but my normal driver distance is about 235 (9.5 degree 580XD)... 7 iron 150

Driver: Ball feels very good but not seeing a lot of extra distance...when hit well might be seeing 5-10 yards. My driver and I aren't on good terms right now so I may not be the best judge for tee shots. My playing partner was crushing these balls off the tee however with even a mishit flying farther than solid contact with his normal Taylor Mades...I think Bridgestone will owe me a commission because he is going to buy out the stock at the PGA Superstore!

Irons: This is where we both saw and felt a tremendous difference...the ball explodes off the club face. The feel is incredible. Ball flight is noticeably higher and 1/2 to 1 club further...we both had to back off club selection once we proved it was no fluke.

Spin: I felt full swing shots stuck a little better but greenside spin was not as good as I expected on the short chips etc. Maybe the higher trajectory helped the biting power too on the full shots?

Putting: Nice and soft feeling but acted a little more like a harder ball...our greens are recovering from some problems and are a little long so they are extremely slow...anxious to try these on "normal" greens.

The surprise ending is that I had my first hole in one today with this ball at the age of 50. 182 yard 5-iron...beautiful ball flight landing on the back side of the ridge...looked good but we couldn't see it go in. Quite surprised to find it in the hole when we got there!! Can't give the credit to the ball but might make a good commercial!! but I really like the feel and flight of this ball...especially off the irons.

Need to play it some more with a grooved driver swing if I can get it back...also looking forward to the ball fitting to see what they recommend.

I bought a dozen of the RX's yesterday(available in Delaware). Although, I didn't

play a round with them, I did go practice my wedge game with them, and

they had real good feel, but the one thing that stood out, and again I haven't hit

them with the driver yet, but they held a straight line when hit almost everytime.

Also, when the ball landed, again I didn't have greens, the ball did seem to check up

on the grass for the most part..I am anxious to play a round with them...

Not a lot of good info, but hopefullu helps those with $42 in their pocket waiting

to thrown down for a dozen!