Bridgestone B330 rx

MizzyMan

I had a chance to play the RX twice last week. It's a little softer than the e5+, comes of the driver with a little less spin than the e5+, but still spins good with irons. This is NOT a Tour Stage ball with a new name. This is a brand new ball developed by the R & D dept. in Covington, GA. If you're looking for a tour caliber ball, but don't swing 105+, this is a great ball.

Sorry, you're wrong. This is EXACTLY the same as a Tourstage ball that has been out.

I'm not wrong. I am one of the ball techs for Bridgestone. If it was a Tour Stage ball, I'd tell you...Tour Stage makes great stuff, and it's still a Bridgestone product. But the RX is a NEW ball, and it's really good. I've only played 2 rounds with it, but you ca tell the difference.

I apologize if I am wrong. The Bridgestone site hardly gives out any tech info. The Tourstage site is definitely more detailed. If you could please give as scanned literature of the specs of the RX, the site only does comparisons to the other Brdgestone balls, so I can compare it to the literature I have on the S3. I would be grateful.

It just seems odd every year the Bridgestone balls seem to have the same new technology as last year's Tourstage balls. Even more strange this year that they just happened to switch to a 3 ball line-up from a 2 ball line-up. Just as Tourstage did last year?

Two new 4 piece balls with different cover hardness, and a 3 piece ball for the slower swingspeeds who want tour caliber ball. That is what the Tourstage balls are. The Bridgestone balls are?

Yes it is a Bridgestone product. They do have to be different on the conforming ball list because of the different stampings.

To the guy who brought up the V10. The V10 is a premium distance ball. The Japanese have had that strange affinity for expensive multi-layer distance balls.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to play the RX twice last week. It's a little softer than the e5+, comes of the driver with a little less spin than the e5+, but still spins good with irons. This is NOT a Tour Stage ball with a new name. This is a brand new ball developed by the R & D dept. in Covington, GA. If you're looking for a tour caliber ball, but don't swing 105+, this is a great ball.

Sorry, you're wrong. This is EXACTLY the same as a Tourstage ball that has been out.

I'm not wrong. I am one of the ball techs for Bridgestone. If it was a Tour Stage ball, I'd tell you...Tour Stage makes great stuff, and it's still a Bridgestone product. But the RX is a NEW ball, and it's really good. I've only played 2 rounds with it, but you ca tell the difference.

Very polite comeback. Well done.

Would you mind settling a few things by listing the compression on the old or new balls? I've seen numbers all over the place. Thanks.

The new B-330 is a 90 compression, the new B-330 S is 75, and the RX is 65. BTW, the e5+ is 75.

The new 330 and 330-S are 4 piece balls, the equivalent of the Tourstage X-01 R4 and G4. And the RX is a 3 piece ball that is the same as the X-01 S3. The "S" stands for soft. I'm sure there might be a tiny, unnoticeable different between the Tourstage and Bridgestone models, but it is the same technology and you couldn't notice the difference.

It's not a coincidence that Tourstage releases two four piece balls and a softer three piece, and then a year later Bridgestone (joint companies mind you...) comes out with the exact same thing.

This isn't new. Tourstage has released every Bridgestone club equivalent (almost, a few are exclusive in America.. such as the e-series) a year or two before Bridgestone does.

X-drive, J36 CBs, you name it.

You say you're a ball tech? Meaning you run those ball testings or what? I don't know what that job entails but I can assure you that you've been misinformed about these RX's. It isn't a new idea. Maxfli and Taylormade have very similar balls out as well.

The new 330 and 330-S are 4 piece balls, the equivalent of the Tourstage X-01 R4 and G4. And the RX is a 3 piece ball that is the same as the X-01 S3. The "S" stands for soft. I'm sure there might be a tiny, unnoticeable different between the Tourstage and Bridgestone models, but it is the same technology and you couldn't notice the difference.

It's not a coincidence that Tourstage releases two four piece balls and a softer three piece, and then a year later Bridgestone (joint companies mind you...) comes out with the exact same thing.

This isn't new. Tourstage has released every Bridgestone club equivalent (almost, a few are exclusive in America.. such as the e-series) a year or two before Bridgestone does.

I don't know what that job entails but I can assure you that you've been misinformed about these RX's. It isn't a new idea. Maxfli and Taylormade have very similar balls out as well.

I think the point was whether the new RX Ball is a brand new ball based on B-Stone's testing of American Golfers over the last 1.5 years or whether it is a rebadged TourStage (which isn't getting the best of reviews).

His point is that the RX is a new ball based on new testing, not that others have intro'd similar balls.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I don't know what that job entails but I can assure you that you've been misinformed about these RX's. It isn't a new idea. Maxfli and Taylormade have very similar balls out as well.

I think the point was whether the new RX Ball is a brand new ball based on B-Stone's testing of American Golfers over the last 1.5 years or whether it is a rebadged TourStage (which isn't getting the best of reviews).

His point is that the RX is a new ball based on new testing, not that others have intro'd similar balls.

I'm done arguing over this, in the end it's really not that important.

The "new" Bridgestone RX ball is a rebadged Tourstage X-01 S3. Which is one of the best selling balls in Japan.

The "new" Bridgestone RX ball is a rebadged Tourstage X-01 S3. Which is one of the best selling balls in Japan.

Thanks for your thoughts. Is the X-01 S3 any good (spins well) on partial wedge shots around the green? That's everyone's big question.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Thanks for your thoughts. Is the X-01 S3 any good (spins well) on partial wedge shots around the green? That's everyone's big question.

Can I chime in? I have played the S3, the G4 and the R4. The G4 and R4 spin a lot more in comparison. I would compare the roll out I get on a S3 on partial shots to an 07 Nike One Black. Aggressive/solid contact spinning shots will spin, just not as much as the 4piece offerings.

If you have aggressive grooves, it will be less of an issue.

^^^^^^

Thanks for the above.

That's consistent with what we've been hearing about the TourStage 3 piece ball in this thread. What I'd like to see if someone with the TS Ball will play it directly against the RX ball to confirm it is the same ball. That would be interesting.

At the same time, if you go to the bridgestone website, it shows that on short iron spin, the 330-S ball has the most spin. So that answers the question. The next one is whether you need a 103 SS to really compress it or is it a range for 97-105?

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

^^^^^^

Thanks for the above.

That's consistent with what we've been hearing about the TourStage 3 piece ball in this thread. What I'd like to see if someone with the TS Ball will play it directly against the RX ball to confirm it is the same ball. That would be interesting.

At the same time, if you go to the bridgestone website, it shows that on short iron spin, the 330-S ball has the most spin. So that answers the question. The next one is whether you need a 103 SS to really compress it or is it a range for 97-105?

I played the older ones.

I couldn't tell a difference between the X01 series and the B330series, while paying close attention to which year. Maybe I'm just not good enough?

I'm usually very sensitive to 3 things. Height/trajectory off the tee. Spin on partials (I like to hit spinners/checkers around the greens), and feel during putting.

Maybe they did do something to change it this time around?

I have not actually played the RX. It is not yet available locally. I was just basing through past experiences with the X01 and B330 lines..

i played the RX today and compared it with my gamer NOP. i love everything about the NOP from 100y in and putting, but have always been concerned i am leaving distance on the table with driver, Fw and long/mid irons. my ss is 98-100. the RX is the first ball that actually feels as soft with any club in the bag as the NOP. possibly slightly softer off the irons which was surprising. the driver and iron distance was actually pretty close, within 5yds. the RX being marginally longer. its a good ball and i will be spending some more time with them. the only thing the NOP does better is spin around the greens. that is the one thing lacking in the RX.

Thats what i have been waiting to hear , thanks TommyTom...I was just telling

someone in another thread that I won't change from the Tour i to the Bridgestone RX

unless it spins as well around the greens, the tour i is awesome...

How well did it perform around the green, did it at least hold the green and stop?

Take into account that the NOP is the highest spinning ball on the market. I had half wedges spinning off greens. If it is on par with the B330-S/ProV1 and lower spin off the driver than I cant wait to put them into play. Sounds very appealing so far. Anyone know if they will be avaliable in PA.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Thats what i have been waiting to hear , thanks TommyTom...I was just telling

someone in another thread that I won't change from the Tour i to the Bridgestone RX

unless it spins as well around the greens, the tour i is awesome...

How well did it perform around the green, did it at least hold the green and stop?

yes. its not bad. it kind of reminded me of the TM red. you need to give it a little extra to really bite, but it holds.

IThe concept of B330 RX is not innovative. in fact the tourstage V10 is a urethane ball make for players with moderate swing speed with a ball compression of 75, the precept U-tri extra spin is also a high lauching, soft compression urethane cover ball made by bridgestone 3 yrs ago.
are you saying the Precept U-Tri Extra Spin is the same ball?

No, they are not the same ball, but similar in concept. Bridgestone says that the RX330 is the very first tour (urethane cover) ball for amateur. But it's not.

Also, bridgestone really knows how to market and upcharge their golf balls. Remember the precept U-tri series golf ball in 2005, which are all urethane cover three piece ball, priced around 22 to 30 USD range. Bridgestone discontiuned this series in 2006 and came out the B330 series which are 30% more expensive (35 USD) than the Utri series ball which are similar in concepts (Three piece ball, urethane cover), technology (seamless cover, both series are made in Japan) with sightly different or better dimple pattern.

The Utri golf ball series is even more complete than the Bridestone 2006 & 2007 B330 series. The Utri golf ball series has three offerings, U tri tour (a high compression, low launching soft urethane cover ball for tour player and top amateur, 368 dimple), Utri distance ( hard urethane cover distance ball for amatuer, 432 dimple in dimple pattern), U tri extra spin( low compression, high launching urethane cover ball for amateur with slow swing speed 432 dimple in dimple pattern).

Whereas B330 series only features two balls, both for tour pro and top amateur (high and lower compression urethane tour ball with 330 dimple and leave the amateur offerings with balls like e5 and e6 which are both inferior compares to a Real three piece, urethane cover balls like the u-tri's. Bridgestone charge almost the same price for e5 & e6 as the Utri extra spin and Utri extra distance. :rolleyes:

So now comes the RX330, bridgestone now has the premium balls offering same as the Precept U-tri series, but 3yrs later than the Utri and way way more expensive.

IThe concept of B330 RX is not innovative. in fact the tourstage V10 is a urethane ball make for players with moderate swing speed with a ball compression of 75, the precept U-tri extra spin is also a high lauching, soft compression urethane cover ball made by bridgestone 3 yrs ago.
are you saying the Precept U-Tri Extra Spin is the same ball?

No, they are not the same ball, but similar in concept. Bridgestone says that the RX330 is the very first tour (urethane cover) ball for amateur. But it's not.

Also, bridgestone really knows how to market and upcharge their golf balls. Remember the precept U-tri series golf ball in 2005, which are all urethane cover three piece ball, priced around 22 to 30 USD range. Bridgestone discontiuned this series in 2006 and came out the B330 series which are 30% more expensive (35 USD) than the Utri series ball which are similar in concepts (Three piece ball, urethane cover), technology (seamless cover, both series are made in Japan) with sightly different or better dimple pattern.

The Utri golf ball series is even more complete than the Bridestone 2006 & 2007 B330 series. The Utri golf ball series has three offerings, U tri tour (a high compression, low launching soft urethane cover ball for tour player and top amateur, 368 dimple), Utri distance ( hard urethane cover distance ball for amatuer, 432 dimple in dimple pattern), U tri extra spin( low compression, high launching urethane cover ball for amateur with slow swing speed 432 dimple in dimple pattern).

Whereas B330 series only features two balls, both for tour pro and top amateur (high and lower compression urethane tour ball with 330 dimple and leave the amateur offerings with balls like e5 and e6 which are both inferior compares to a Real three piece, urethane cover balls like the u-tri's. Bridgestone charge almost the same price for e5 & e6 as the Utri extra spin and Utri extra distance. :swoon2:

So now comes the RX330, bridgestone now has the premium balls offering same as the Precept U-tri series, but 3yrs later than the Utri and way way more expensive.

alexly - great post man, very interesting. I always thought the UTri was a great ball with little consumer action. Funny how this 'new' ball came about. I've got a sleeve of the RX330 and will play it today on the course this morning.

It is no secret that balls come out in Japan first before they are rebadged for the American market and are virtually the same ball when we talk about the Bridgestone brand.

When the Top Flite Strata came out with a three-piece solid ball and claimed it to be the best innovation, Bridgestone said: "Wait a minute, we've had a similar ball -albeit a distance ball - in Japan for some time now! We were first!" So they marketed a new three-piece distance ball which they tried to sell at $50 dubbed the Precept Dynawing which they claimed was "Japan's best selling ball the past 2 years which we are now bringing to America". This can only mean that the ball was a rebadged Bridgestone "Altus Newing", which was priced the same as premium balls at that time but was a three-piece distance ball.

There was a time Tourstage released two lines of urethane covered three-piece balls - one for spin and the other for distance - back in 2002. This was dubbed as the UX Arrow and UX Dia with 432 dimples. Lo and behold, towards the end of 2003, Precept released a new line called the U-Tri Extra Spin and U-Tri Extra Distance with exactly the same seamless dimple pattern.

Then Tourstage released a new ball in the UX line which had less dimples (360 if I remember right), and was called the UX-s. A year later, a release with the same dimple pattern came up in America called the U-Tri Tour.

Then they came up with the Tourstage X-01 and X-01s. A few months later, the Bridgestone B330 and B330s came out. Tourstage improved both balls making rolling changes and dubbed it the X*01 and X*01S, a few months later Bridgestone also made rolling changes to the B330 and B330S.

Then Tourstage came up with the X-01R4, X-01G4, and X-01S3, which is 4-piece, 4-piece, and 3-piece. These balls are wildly popular in Japan, with the R4 and G4 combining to make Tourstage the most played ball brand in the 2007 Japan Amateur Golf Championship (even more than Titleist!).

So if you follow their popularity and success in Japan, why fix it if it ain't broken? The Tourstage X-01S3 is the B330-RX.

Everyone who has tried the S3 has been impressed by the incredibly soft feel and better than average spin. But the verdict is also unanimous about partial and greendside shots - it is no tour-type ball.

If anything, the B330RX is a much improved version of the U-Tri Extra Distance, which makes it a urethane covered distance ball. But of course it is marketed much better this time without giving consumers the stigma of it having the name "extra distance." This time they focused on the fact that it is a urethane ball.

Here is a timeline of Japan release balls and their US counterparts.

Altus Newing = Precept Dynawing

Tourstage U2 = Precept Tour Premium LS

Tourstage UX Dia = Precept U-Tri Extra Distance

Tourstage UX Arrow = Precept U-Tri Extra Spin

Tourstage UX-s = Precept U-Tri Tour

Tourstage X-01 = Bridgestone B330

Tourstage X-01s = Bridgestone B330s

Tourstage X*01 = Bridgestone B330 (second generation)

Tourstage X*01s = Bridgestone B330s (second generation)

Tourstage X-01R4 = Bridgestone B330 2009

Tourstage X-01G4 = Bridgestone B330S 2009

Tourstage X-01S3 = Bridgestone B330RX

This is not to say that having exact US equivalents are bad. I am a big fan of Tourstage balls, and I even loved the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance and the Tourstage UX Dia. If anything, I am sure the B330Rx will be a success considering it did great in Japan.

Tourstage UX Arrow = Precept U-Tri Extra Spin

My real concern with this ball is this: If it's going to be in the $40 range, why should I buy these balls when I can get a dozen ProV1X's for roughly the same price and know, without a doubt, they'll be good? I don't think it's a risk that's worth taking.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

My real concern with this ball is this: If it's going to be in the $40 range, why should I buy these balls when I can get a dozen ProV1X's for roughly the same price and know, without a doubt, they'll be good? I don't think it's a risk that's worth taking.

It is $40 because it has a urethane cover. Ask any ball manufacturer, those things are more costly to produce because it has to be kept at precise temperatures when you are making them or something like that. The only cheaper urethane balls are those that are two piece such as the e5+ or something with less-than-stellar quality control (the Dunlop Custom and the Loco Pro balls).

It is also worth buying because it is a ball that is $60 to 70 in Japan.

It is worth buying because it is a urethane ball with a little extra distance and still maintaining a soft feel. If you can get this combo and you fit the swing speed profile, then it is well worth the money.

It is $40 because it has a urethane cover. Ask any ball manufacturer, those things are more costly to produce because it has to be kept at precise temperatures when you are making them or something like that. The only cheaper urethane balls are those that are two piece such as the e5+ or something with less-than-stellar quality control (the Dunlop Custom and the Loco Pro balls).

It is also worth buying because it is a ball that is $60 to 70 in Japan.

It is worth buying because it is a urethane ball with a little extra distance and still maintaining a soft feel. If you can get this combo and you fit the swing speed profile, then it is well worth the money.

Also this ball is marketed differently. Most average guys can't use a ProV1 to its full potential. That is who this ball is marketed to. Sales, if it's a good ball should be pretty good.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Purchased a dozen today...will have to wait until next weekend to give them a try.

I've been playing Pro V1's and will see how the RX's compare.

Where did you get these? GG says end of Sept or early Oct...

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I played the B330 RX ball a few days ago. I used one ball for the round and shot 78. The ball held up well, just one light scuff from a cart path, I think the cover is durable like other Bridgestone/Precept balls.

Cover is soft and gives good bite

Seamless dimples

Alignment line

Logos look good (but I'd rather have just a "B" logo above the number and then "Bridgestone Golf Tour B330-RX" as the alignment text)

Logos are both in the same direction (Callaway has one upside down)

Gray numbers look nice

Crisp dimple edges (no paint blobs like V1's have)

3-piece construction

Dislikes:

Price is kind of high ($43/Dozen)

Performance didn't feel very "lively" to me

Can spin too much on soft greens

Overall

I thought I was the target customer for this kind of ball, I hit my 7 iron 150 and a good drive is 250. I've used a lot of Precept and Bridgestone balls over the years and I really wanted to like this ball. But overall I thought the B330 RX was just OK. I was hoping that it would feel a bit more lively, it kind of has a hollow feeling even on solid hits. I don't know if I need that much spin on the greens I usually play. I would rather have the ball land and stick than spin back.

It will be interesting to see what other people say about it. Not a bad ball but I'm not sure it will be my #1 ball. I still have 2 more left so I'll give those a shot.

I played the B330 RX ball a few days ago. I used one ball for the round and shot 78. The ball held up well, just one light scuff from a cart path, I think the cover is durable like other Bridgestone/Precept balls.

Cover is soft and gives good bite

Seamless dimples

Alignment line

Logos look good (but I'd rather have just a "B" logo above the number and then "Bridgestone Golf Tour B330-RX" as the alignment text)

Logos are both in the same direction (Callaway has one upside down)

Gray numbers look nice

Crisp dimple edges (no paint blobs like V1's have)

3-piece construction

Dislikes:

Price is kind of high ($43/Dozen)

Performance didn't feel very "lively" to me

Can spin too much on soft greens

Overall

I thought I was the target customer for this kind of ball, I hit my 7 iron 150 and a good drive is 250. I've used a lot of Precept and Bridgestone balls over the years and I really wanted to like this ball. But overall I thought the B330 RX was just OK. I was hoping that it would feel a bit more lively, it kind of has a hollow feeling even on solid hits. I don't know if I need that much spin on the greens I usually play. I would rather have the ball land and stick than spin back.

It will be interesting to see what other people say about it. Not a bad ball but I'm not sure it will be my #1 ball. I still have 2 more left so I'll give those a shot.

Great review!! Too much spin....Sounds awsome. My 100yds and in game relies heavily on 3/4 punch style shots (lower trajectory with loads of spin) My first impressions of the B330-S was that it too felt like it was made of rubber and didnt give great feed back like the ProV1 but realized thats what made it so great. Gradiant growth core I think Bridgestone calls it. Sounds like you were compressing the ball properly. ProV1's feel hard when you miss hit and dont compress them fully, same goes for most tour balls. I am one club longer in the irons than you and drive it in the 265+ range and thought that maybe the new B330-S would be a better fit. Bridgestone says the RX spins less than the S off the driver and also the irons which is ok by me. So would you say it spins hard on full wedges and just ok with pitches and chips??? Just purchased a box from Golf Discount and waiting for them to be shipped..

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Great review!! Too much spin....Sounds awsome. My 100yds and in game relies heavily on 3/4 punch style shots (lower trajectory with loads of spin) My first impressions of the B330-S was that it too felt like it was made of rubber and didnt give great feed back like the ProV1 but realized thats what made it so great. Gradiant growth core I think Bridgestone calls it. Sounds like you were compressing the ball properly. ProV1's feel hard when you miss hit and dont compress them fully, same goes for most tour balls. I am one club longer in the irons than you and drive it in the 265+ range and thought that maybe the new B330-S would be a better fit. Bridgestone says the RX spins less than the S off the driver and also the irons which is ok by me. So would you say it spins hard on full wedges and just ok with pitches and chips??? Just purchased a box from Golf Discount and waiting for them to be shipped..

Just keep in mind that I play courses near the ocean most of the time, so even in the summer the greens are usually soft and it's easy for me to spin the ball back. I prefer the ball to check and stay put, when it starts spinning back it messes up my yardages.

It felt like I was getting full compression a little too easily with the RX, and maybe losing some distance. It felt kind of mushy to me, not crisp. I don't exactly crush the ball so it will be interesting to hear what other people say about the RX.