2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavity, Cavity Back & Blade

My free bag took less time to get here than the clubs did BTW. Very high quality bag as well. Thanks Bridgestone!!! Irons should be in the bag until the grooves are gone.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was my first day with my J36 CB irons, and man it was worth the wait. i am very picky about my irons and have been looking for a set for the past 3 years. i hit everything Mizuno MP57, Mizuno MX25, AP2, Taylor made TP, Cleveland CG, Ping, callaway xtour, x 20 tour, you name it, i tried it.

the thing about these irons is that everybody from a scratch to a 20 handicapper can play these. low handicappers can play the MB's, middle handicappers can play the CB's, and high handicappers can play the PC's. they are forged and forgiving and you can mix and match the set. who wouldnt want these? i love them

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Can anyone compare them to the J33's? I love them still but i am just curious if anyone has compared them.

I played the J33's before the J36's in my bag now.

Ball flight is a bit higher with the J36's and the neck is shorter (which is appealing to a lot of golfers). Shaft in both sets were TT Black Gold X100.

-only hit the CB and Blade of the J33 so that is what I am comparing; but, the PC of the J36 is one of the easiest clubs to control on the market with a great feel.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

I must agree with with chilliguy, I too have played and will still game mizuno

irons, but I also picked up a new set of J36 combo irons for $400.00, And

these irons are as buttery and a tad longer, I now feel that I have the best

of the two, with keeping two sets. My wife is very understanding, she

has never questioned my purchases.

Where were you able to find the J36 Combo irons for $400?

I am very interested in those iron, but where ever I go they are between $650-$750

Hope you can help me

Thanks

Golf Mart In Albuquerque, NM for $399. A closeout special. We don't have TGW or Dick's so this is as close as we come to those golf mega stores. They focus on the name brands and sometimes if the weather is too bad like it was in March, they throw these sales out there. Havn't seen it again. I bought the last set they had. Seems like the sales guys are always pushing Tour Edge there or Callaway. Must be a "spiff" for them.

The Chile Guy

• 2 weeks later...

These irons are sick, I give them a 5. I can do whatever I want with them, high, low, straight, fade, draw. The scary thing is they are more forgiving than my old R7 TP's. The R7's on a mishit would always be short. The J36's still get full length on mishits, just end up offline.

They are about a half club longer than my R7's were. The feel and look are incredible. The grooves also bite much better. I'm sorry, but Mizzy's don't even compare. If you have not tried these clubs you are missing out.

One bad thing I will say is only about the company Bridgestone. As much as I love these irons, they took forever to get here!!! Waited 4 weeks for delivery. I've never waited that long for any club.

Overall a highly underrated club that needs way more press. They will be in my bag until they flat wear out.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought a combo set a month ago 4-5 Pocket cavity 6-7 cavity. 8-gap blades in rifle 6.0. Had a geat opportunity to by this set for 417.00 from the company, set to my specs +1 and 1 degree up. absolutely love these irons. The pocket cavity are like butter and the ball jumps off the club. The cavity backs are extremly forgiving and I am still able to work the ball a little. The blades are very responsive, but like blades you know when you miss and will fly off target on miss hits, but you do not loss much distance. With the blades the spin is unbelievable, way better than the mizunos I use to play. Even the cavity backs spin well. Does mess the ball up a little, but not bad. A great iron I would recommend to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

After going through the reviews here, i just couldn't wait any longer for my combo set to get here (bought them through ebay). Borrowed my friend's PC set (PX 5.0)and hit the course yesterday! They are really nice! Feels soft and solid. Bridgestone really came out with some cool irons with this. Hope my combo feels even better! Thanks GolfWrx!

[quote name='46and2' post='1885827' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:04 PM']For the Pocket Cavity owners out there - has anyone come from Mizuno MX-23's or MX-25's? I'm wondering if Pocket Cavity's are just as forgiving or are they less so?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I never hit MX-23's or 25's. I had a set of MP57's though. J36 PC's are way more forgiving than the MP57's. That's the reason I went for the J36 PC's.

Callaway Epic SZ, Kamui TP-XF 3W, Romaro iBrid Chapter2, 5-PW PRGR RS Forged, CGS Orion Spy S Wedge GW, Yamaha InpresX SW, Edel DGR LW

Been playing the J36 PCs for one month. Finally retired my Titleists and wanted to get back to playing forged clubs from my junior golf days. Am a typical mid-handicapper that still likes to try and shape shots even if unsuccessful a fair amount of the time.

These are great clubs that perform. The forgiveness of the PC is really apparent on thin and toe shots. You get the lower ball flight in the long irons and I am spinning back shots with my short irons for the first time in a long while. Hit all 3 models, all great, but opted for maximum forgiveness. Must in the minority who did not like the Project X shaft. Hit the 5.0 and it felt nothing like the DGR300, which is all I have ever played. Not sure why so many companies are using Project X as their stock shafts. My fitter put me in the NS and am glad he did. Great feeling shaft. Also tried the MP52 and AP2. For me, the J36 look better - something about Mizuno's short irons doesn't fit my eye - and feel better - hard to tell if AP2 are forged.

Like an earlier poster, have to say their customer service could be better. Order was late. Don't expect an apology but a courtesy notification about the delay would have been appreciated.

Also want to give props to the Bridgestone hybrid. Can still hit a 3 iron and always fought a hook with the earlier hybrid models, but the J36 has made me a believer. Great stock shaft too.

Next step is to hopefully get a J33 driver on the cheap now that a new model is in the work.

i own the mx-25 and Bridgestone J36 Combo set. the Mx-25 are much more forgiving than the CB's in the mixed set of J36's. i would say that the mx-25's are a little more forgiving than the PC's. they are both forged and feel similiar, but i prefer the mizunos feel and overall performance. dont get me wrong, the PC's are nice, i just like the 25's better

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing J36 Pocket Cavities for about 6 months now. I bought them used on golfwrx with Tour Concept shafts in them. I had played in recently Mizuno MX-23, MP somethings, Wishon 560MC, 550C, Tour Edge Exotic EX-1, Ping Eye2 BeCu - all great irons.

I think this is the most enjoyable set of irons I have ever played. Great feel, I can work the ball, hit 'em high or low, they look great, and they are just the right balance of forgiveness vs. players' iron for me, an 8 index. The main thing about them is the feel - this is the softest feel in a club built for mid-cappers I have played. It just seems like the best of both worlds. For me who was swapping irons every few months, to find a set that after 6 months that I still really like (I almost hate writing this - don't want the love affair to end by talking about it), well that's great stuff.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you pockets cavity owners know if you are getting about the same distance out of them as the cavity backs? Just wondering if the PCs are longer, shorter or about the same?

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

let me know if you are interested, im selling my J36's with 5.5 Project X, used once.

I've been playing with my J36 combo set for 4-5 rounds now. Great iron, defnitely great feedback. I know a lot of you like the pocket-cavity ones due to the forgiveness, but I personally think the cavity-back ones are the best of the bunch, forgiveness on these aren't really that much worse than the pocket-cavity, but the feedback is much better.

One thing I don't like about these irons is how easy it is to get chips and dings on them. I've only played about 4-5 rounds with my new irons so far, and already noticed a chip on my 7 iron, don't even remeber how it happened since I'm extremely careful with my irons, and would immediately put a headcover back on each iron after every shot. Must have gone over a tiny rock during one of my shot.

Anyone else noticed the same? Any of you bridgestone j36 owners out there still have a cosmetically perfect iron set with dings/scratches/chips after a few rounds with them?

[quote name='happybob' post='1954762' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:55 PM']I've been playing with my J36 combo set for 4-5 rounds now. Great iron, defnitely great feedback. I know a lot of you like the pocket-cavity ones due to the forgiveness, but I personally think the cavity-back ones are the best of the bunch, forgiveness on these aren't really that much worse than the pocket-cavity, but the feedback is much better.

One thing I don't like about these irons is how easy it is to get chips and dings on them. I've only played about 4-5 rounds with my new irons so far, and already noticed a chip on my 7 iron, don't even remeber how it happened since I'm extremely careful with my irons, and would immediately put a headcover back on each iron after every shot. Must have gone over a tiny rock during one of my shot.

Anyone else noticed the same? Any of you bridgestone j36 owners out there still have a cosmetically perfect iron set with dings/scratches/chips after a few rounds with them?[/quote]

I have the J36 CBs and the J33 CBs, they are very soft forgings and will ding easily, I don't know about a chip, you might have hit a rock. I don't use headcovers on them and they have a lot of nicks on the sole mostly, but no chips.

[quote name='theothertwo' post='1954926' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:19 PM']I have the J36 CBs and the J33 CBs, they are very soft forgings and will ding easily, I don't know about a chip, you might have hit a rock. I don't use headcovers on them and they have a lot of nicks on the sole mostly, but no chips.[/quote]

well, it's really quite tiny (literally dot size) on the sole, too small for me to tell if it's a ding or a chip. i'm sure once i play a few more rounds with them, there will be more nicks/dings/chips and i will forget about it. :rolleyes:

These forgings are very soft and do get dinged up in a hurry. I've had mine for 6 months or so? and they've got some pretty good bag chatter going on!! My P-wedge has a sizable rock ding right in the middle of the sole.

Still love mine, though. Don't imagine them leaving the bag for a while.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='kencanuck' timestamp='1232684817' post='1441862']
Just curious but has anyone else found these dig a bit??? I play on conditions that are normally firm (semi-arid). I don't normally dig with my irons but it is my tendency on misses. It just seems I hit more than my fair share of fat shots with these....

Thanks,
Ken
[/quote]

yes they do dig a bit just beacuse of the reduced bounce on all of them. this makes them better of a variety of lies, especially tight lies for the average player. its what some would bluntly call a texas club. reduced bounce is preferable down there because of the tight dry fairways. but yes they do