2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

FT-9 Tour iMix and Fubuki 63

eyezlee

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can we get confirmation from someone/anyone in the know that the I-Mix shaft discussed here is in fact the "tour" version because it DOES have the MDT label? It seems that way based on the discussion thus far.

I got confirmation that my shaft will be here next Wednesday. Cool!

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Kevin

So can we get confirmation from someone/anyone in the know that the I-Mix shaft discussed here is in fact the "tour" version because it DOES have the MDT label? It seems that way based on the discussion thus far.

Kevin

1000% tour version has MDT technology.

Kevin

Thanks Joe! Your insight and knowledge on this issue and many others are greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin

Thanks Joe! Your insight and knowledge on this issue and many others are greatly appreciated.

Kevin

No worries! It's my job.

So I told my friend about the I-mix Fubuki pricing and so he went to the store and ordered one....

Here in Canada from Gofltown, even though they don't stock them they can order one and my friend said he ordered one for only $140 CDN...thats like $10 USD :P

I am going to check it tomorrow, if that is the price I am ordeing one to compare to the X-Con6.

Joe, I specifically asked the callaway cs guy about tip trim when I ordered on Thursday - he claimed there is no trim. I had a rather long conversation with him and he seemed to be knowledgeable and on the up-and-up. He knew about the shaft, and the heightened interest in it with this setup. I'm excited to get mine, but need a head to put it in. :lol:

Im curious how adding a .335 tip would be any different when its slid inside of the opti fit sleeve and then put into the head, seems to defeat the purpose of feel imo. The head of the FT9 is so muted that if a player can tell the difference between the two tips, they got some crazy feel.

I only hit the .350 version when demoing my drivers for this year and personally didnt care for the shaft at all, It was lacking spin for me. But it is a helluva good deal from Callaway

I have a question regarding the .335 and .350 tips.

As far as i am aware most driver heads are designed for .350 tip shafts apart from TM TP range. If this is true why do shaft manufacturers pre-dominately manufacture/market .335 tip shafts for the aftermarket?

Because it is simple to make a .335 and use a shim for all models of drivers

As far as i am aware most driver heads are designed for .350 tip shafts apart from TM TP range. If this is true why do shaft manufacturers pre-dominately manufacture/market .335 tip shafts for the aftermarket?

I'm not sure you can say mostly 350, As far as my knowledge can recall...there are more 335 still out there.

Most OEM build them with 350 is to reduce the amount of warranty replacement as 350 tip suppose to be stronger tip section against breakage. And some other reasons from the shaft manufacturer point of business view.

Strange I see more .335 tip drivers than .350.

And also see WAY more .335 shafts than .350 shafts.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I'm not sure you can say mostly 350, As far as my knowledge can recall...there are more 335 still out there.

Most OEM build them with 350 is to reduce the amount of warranty replacement as 350 tip suppose to be stronger tip section against breakage. And some other reasons from the shaft manufacturer point of business view.

The warranty issue certainly makes sense.

However in the UK the from a driver sales point of view: Callaway, Taylormade and Ping are biggest driver sellers (all .350 tip ( TM TP range has negligible sales compared to non tour). I think Nikes are .350 aswell. Adams has virtually no presence in the UK. Titleist have stuggled to sell drivers in the Uk to the average player.(the new 909 range may alter that but I am not convinced). Cobra isn't doing too badly.

My point is very few .335 tip driver heads are actually purchased by the golfing public in the UK.

1. US golf market is the biggest in the world IMO

2. From my experiences pulling and putting shafts every day, I can say 60% is 335 and 40% is 350 tip on a driver

3. Nike, Cobra, Mizuno, Srixon, Titleist, Brisdgestone, TM tp...Most JDM...All OEM using ROMBAX products are actually 335 ( no 350 rombax out there ). SO not all 350 hosel OEM using 350 tip.

4. Looking at what mostly sold out there, that is gonna be hard to say due to most high hdcp don't switch shaft that often.

5. Almost all After market sold by custom shop like me sold 335 at 80% IMO. I won't be surprise if it more. As of me I sold 99% is 335 tip. After I explain it to them that 335 will give them a better FEEL ( again it's just my my opinions )...most will go for 335, because at the end of the day FEEL is the one make us play better golf.

Again bottom line is the result that we are all looking for. If some says no different, so be it!

Any body can try them side by side between 335 at 63-64grm compare to 350 tip at 69-70 grms and please tell us your back ground and skill level to make a fair judgment if they are different or not, even better if you can try them full 18 holes round.

Joe

I have a conspiracy theory regarding made for vs OEM shaft offerings. I'm a longtime shaft snob (Joe knows this; hell he's built half my s***!) but from a pure economic standpoint it just doesn't jive with me to offer two "similar" shafts. How much money can you save now using two manufacturing plants or seperate lines; mulitple types of graphite; manpower; etc etc. Why not simply label the one "made for" to justify how an OEM like Callaway can sell an entire club for the cost of one shaft to the clubsmith retailer. Maybe one is produced in Japan while the other in China but that still doesn't tell you much. Don't you see; the shaft manufacturers created .350 tip to keep the marketplace happy; it's not a "REAL" Fubuki (wink wink nod nod); yeah right. I caught on to this offer early as I was the very first order for the FT-9 Tour I-Mix/Fubuki 63X; have the head already and the shaft ships on the 3rd. I'm quite sure this shaft is more than I can handle "real" or "real" anyway...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I have a conspiracy theory regarding made for vs OEM shaft offerings. I'm a longtime shaft snob (Joe knows this; hell he's built half my s***!) but from a pure economic standpoint it just doesn't jive with me to offer two "similar" shafts. How much money can you save now using two manufacturing plants or seperate lines; mulitple types of graphite; manpower; etc etc. Why not simply label the one "made for" to justify how an OEM like Callaway can sell an entire club for the cost of one shaft to the clubsmith retailer. Maybe one is produced in Japan while the other in China but that still doesn't tell you much. Don't you see; the shaft manufacturers created .350 tip to keep the marketplace happy; it's not a "REAL" Fubuki (wink wink nod nod); yeah right. FT-9 Tour I-Mix/Fubuki 63X; have the head already and the shaft ships on the 3rd. I'm quite sure this shaft is more than I can handle "real" or "real" anyway...BB

Yea, you only gave me the one need to be special care and extreme tweaking LOL!

Nobody should ever doubt your ability to do golf club magic; we know that for sure Joe! Damn right you get that work; who else would I allow do it but you!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

So when someone here actually profiles the shaft and it turns out the be the same, then what?

No way any shop could keep up with the big OEM's in the amount of shafts they can purchase, so thus the cost is a fraction so any upsell Callaway gets is a profit, they dont feel the need to gouge the customer anymore since they are already getting a pretty penny for the head itself.

FWIW if anything a .350 tip will reduce more spin and provide a better dispersion do to lack of movement

those IMO trump the small amount of feel some think they can notice between the 2 shafts anyday

So when someone here actually profiles the shaft and it turns out the be the same, then what?

No way any shop could keep up with the big OEM's in the amount of shafts they can purchase, so thus the cost is a fraction so any upsell Callaway gets is a profit, they dont feel the need to gouge the customer anymore since they are already getting a pretty penny for the head itself.

FWIW if anything a .350 tip will reduce more spin and provide a better dispersion do to lack of movement

those IMO trump the small amount of feel some think they can notice between the 2 shafts anyday

Interesting point.

Good point!

But the issue is still IF with a big ?

The argument that is hard to deny is 6gr heavier static weight. Whether the profile the same or not, 6 grms to most people are very noticeable, thus you can't call it the same. Again No one can't argue about FEEL. It's Subjective, some say BIG different and some say NO different.

"350 tip will reduce more spin and provide a better dispersion do to lack of movement"...Depends what the players need...Most of them who don't have enough compression or load to the ball will suffer if you gave them that type of shaft, especially most of them don't have enough LA in the first place. Plus reduce or increase are depending on the spec and construction, plenty of 350 tip shaft out there will spins more from one to another compare to 335.

Shaft company will try to make a little differences here and there to make sure protecting both of their customers/market and keep the sales as high as possible on both corners. That is why the answer from them is "Callaway proprietary issue".

Mark my word here, I wouldn't be surprise if Callaway is now thinking how to build that sleeve slightly tilt just like the R9, so they can manipulate the face and lie angle.

Not gonna be easy without totally redesigning the whole hosel area. Looking at the construction as of it now, using 335 tip shaft will give them more room and Only 3 positions.

:)

Mark my word here, I wouldn't be surprise if Callaway is now thinking how to build that sleeve slightly tilt just like the R9, so they can manipulate the face and lie angle.

Not gonna be easy without totally redesigning the whole hosel area. Looking at the construction as of it now, using 335 tip shaft will give them more room and Only 3 positions.

That will be on the FT 10 lol

FT11 to be exact ;)

FT11 to be exact ;)

actually, it should be the ft-13, no? but then again, a lot of companies don't like using the no. 13 so it may even be the ft-15, oi.