PING i15 Iron review

Geo

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's my first report back on my choice of the i15 (4-PW) with the Nippon 950 stiff shaft. No doubt the best iron I've ever hit ... period. Have hit them a bunch on the range and finally was able to play with them yesterday. I hit two 4 irons from about 185 and 180, respectively, that flew high and dead at the flag. Both within 25 feet. Certainly the best two 4 irons I've hit it one round in quite a while. The mid and short irons also played very well, although so my old TM RAC LT2s that I replaced. I think the i15s kick a little higher, but still penetrating flight. Overall, these look to be a great club-shaft combination for me. I couldn't be more happy and can't wait to try them on the course again. I'd recommend these to anyone looking to change irons. A great iron for better that average ball strikers looking to maximize forgiveness and workability. Well done Ping!

I am anxious to get the i15s. I'll be ordering some very soon!

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

[quote name='golfnut69' date='25 January 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1264472285' post='2204112']
[quote name='Tmiller72' date='25 January 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1264458160' post='2203606']
Mine have been on order for over a month! Oh well, the weather has sucked, but I still want them.
[/quote]

That is definitely WRONG. I ordered mine a week ago Friday and they were delivered Thursday!
[/quote]

The heads are ready, but I'm getting some non-stock shafts. Ping is waiting for them to come in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ldhiii' date='20 February 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1266728388' post='2266251']
I was fitted for these today and was recommended that I get the zz65 shafts in them. I have seen a set for sale with the exact dimensions I need (+1/2", blue dot) but that set has project X 6.0 flighted shafts. Will these shafts be ok for me? I am about a 14 and my 7 iron flies about 165ish. Thank you.
[/quote]

those shafts should be fine. 5.5s might be a better fit but you should be ok w/ 6.0

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

im late to the game with the i15 just got mine 2 weeks ago. I went with the Nippon 950 shafts and im very pleased the feel is outstanding. The i15s are just as forgiveing as my old G10s. Im knocking down pins with these instead of just hitting the green like i did with the G10. For those of you that have played these awhile how is the finish holding up. I hope as well as the G10s i used them for 250 rounds and they still look awsome. PING FAN FOR LIFE.

PING G425 LST 10.5* HAZRDUS RDX BLUE
PING G425 MAX  3 5 9 woods Alta Slate 65
PING I525 5 thru 7 UST RECOIL
PING I59  8 thru PW UST RECOIL
PING TOUR 50* 54* 58* UST RECOIL
GUERIN Tour Spec GR3
TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='nyjets1' timestamp='1289878722' post='2792483']
PING FAN FOR LIFE.
[/quote]

Ditto that. Not only do I like their irons, I like this company as well. My very first set of Ping was a set of i3 O-Size and it has been Ping irons ever since: i3 O-Size, G2, i3+ Blade, S59, i5 and now i15. I am one of a very few who think that Ping makes good looking irons.

About i15, I just got this not too long ago. Played only a couple rounds with it. My first round with it without any prior range session, the score went up from 85 (par 74), which was most recent with i5, to 92. But I can put a blame on my putting as I generally average about 34 putts, but made terrible 39 putts in this round.

About the feel, after I have heard about the rave with these irons, I expected something more. Sure, it's better than i5, but not that significant. Usual for Ping irons. But I am not a "feel" guy though, so I never care to play any forged irons.

Agree with most about the look. These are easily the best looking Ping irons. The colors match really well with my Ping Tour-W wedges.

I am still working on some range sessions and kinda expect more distance out of these irons, although I would say I want more accuracy on the irons rather than distance. I expect myself to grow more and more on these irons and they should stay in my bag and replace my i5 for good.

I have owned the i15 irons since a week before they were released :).. IMHO, they are the best irons PING has ever made. I have hit the I3 Blad, I3+, G5, i5, G10, i10, S56, and S57's. The i15's are the best. They only irons that *may* knock these out are the i20's.... but they are still at least a year away.

I'm seriously considering the i15's as my set for next year. This year I played mp52's from a 14 handicap down to a 6. My biggest complaint with the mp52's is forgiveness, particularly in the longer irons.

The i15 7 iron I've demo'd is consistently 10 yards longer next to my mp52 and far more forgiving, especially on thin shots. Being lefty, unfortunately I have only been able to demo the 7 iron.

Are the i15's as forgiving in the 3 and 4 iron? Are there many single digit handicappers playing these?

I've seen a lot of people try to compare these to TM Burner's, I had Burner's at one point but hated them due to inconsistent distances, terrible look and no matter what, I could not tell where on the face I was hitting them. I was under the impression the i15 is a bit more of a players club than the Burner?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='MagShot91' timestamp='1292531388' post='2844214']
awesome irons i15 look sooo beautiful im thinking bout getting me a set but im still deciding on that or s56 or 57...but i feel like if i got the i15 id be player better every time i went out....great review. does anyone know if these are good for lower handicap players?
[/quote]

I feel the same way! I'm going to take the winter to decide. I really want to end up with the s56 and Tour-S wedges..... It will be a side by side comparing weekly till I wear out the grooves on the demo clubs at GG until the tax check shows up!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Cooper' timestamp='1293996794' post='2871086']
Anybody aware of if when you buy PIng Irons you can change the lofts on the irons? I'm looking into to the i15 but would want to make each club about 2 degrees stronger. I'd be buying them custom from a Golfsmith or similar store
[/quote]

You are able to do this, I just ordered a combo set of I15/G15 and was able to change up two of the lofts in the low irons for better flow through the set.

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

[quote name='Cooper' timestamp='1293996794' post='2871086']
Anybody aware of if when you buy PIng Irons you can change the lofts on the irons? I'm looking into to the i15 but would want to make each club about 2 degrees stronger. I'd be buying them custom from a Golfsmith or similar store
[/quote]

I know for a fact you can go +/- 2 degrees.... not sure beyond that.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

• 3 months later...

Greetings all from Ireland. I am just back to golf after many years absence, and have hit the Ping i15 7 irons at the local golf store with the awt stiff shafts, the simulator is showing it at around 185yards. I like these clubs but don't have the luxury of trying different shafts and will get a set and after reading many reviews am thinking of getting either the KBS or other upgrade shafts. I hit the ball fairly high, am currently using Mizuno MP-30 and I expect the Pings will be quite a lot more forgiving, I tried a few 4 irons and 7 irons of the G15s and I don't like the look or feel of them but hit the ball very well with them, those had the regular shafts. I won't buy the G15's cos I feel they have too much offset and the head is too chunky, the i15s look alot nicer to me.

What would any of you players recommend shaft wise. I will likely be ordering a set without trying the shafts first, unless it is the AWT, and the only club of that in demo is the 7. I expect these clubs would suit a decent ball-striker who is still rusty and inconsistent. I wouldn't have ever considered Pings until I hit those G15s and was very impressed how easy they were to strike and the 7 iron I hit on the simulator did feel like a good solid strike, a club I would have confidence in. If you were to take a knowledgeable guess as to what shafts would best suit me I would appreciate all opinions.

I am currently playing a set i15's and comparing them to my normal gamers which are MP58's with KBS X. They are very nice irons with nice forgiveness but I can't seem to get into them for some reason, I dont know if its the shafts (KBS stiff soft stepped once) or if Ping's just aren't for me. But overall they are very nice clubs with a good ball flight, lots of go and plenty of workability I can move them either direction. But I think I really need to try a set of Black Dot's with KBS X to make an accurate assesment. Speaking of that I would be willing to offloads these heads to anyone if they are interested (5-W yellow dot) via PM

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

[quote name='Pings2Win' timestamp='1261711788' post='2142971']
I've tried all 3 shafts (KBS Tour, AWT, ZZ65) + 1 more (Nippon 950) and the Nippon produced higher ball speeds, [b]less spin[/b] and more carry + overall distance. The KBS was a close 2nd, followed by ZZ65 and then AWT. The Nippon was a full 12 yards longer than the AWT.[/quote]

Is less spin a good thing? I would have thought for irons more spin was desirable for more stop when the ball lands on the greens. It is 15 years since I played regular golf so am not familiar with the changes in technology, or the choice of shafts, when I used play the only shaft consideration was stiff or regular, now I am told the shafts are as important as the heads. Can I ask how far approx you expect to carry a 7 iron for example. Was there a difference in feel or ball flight with the Nippons over the others?

[quote name='xabia' timestamp='1304281454' post='3200192']
I am currently playing a set i15's and comparing them to my normal gamers which are MP58's with KBS X. They are very nice irons with nice forgiveness but I can't seem to get into them for some reason, I dont know if its the shafts (KBS stiff soft stepped once) or if Ping's just aren't for me. But overall they are very nice clubs with a good ball flight, lots of go and plenty of workability I can move them either direction. But I think I really need to try a set of Black Dot's with KBS X to make an accurate assesment. Speaking of that I would be willing to offloads these heads to anyone if they are interested (5-W yellow dot) via PM
[/quote]

Thanks for reply, I am told the MP58s are well regarded, why did you change? And why X stiff, I was lead to believe that X stiff would only suit the extra extra long hitters, and what does soft-stepped mean exactly? I am looking for black dots 3-PW, and am more interested in the 3 and 4 irons than any others as I don't use hybrids.