What would you do?

Walk on single asks to hit your driver, and the inevitable happens
I'm going off the front this afternoon to hit a couple different balls with my new FT Tour (W/Fubuki 63 x5ct) Trying Cally I(z) I(s) and Penta next to TM Red LDP. Some drivers some irons and chips and different putts.

Single walks on and asks to join as I am walking off the tee box...."sure no problem, I may hit a few extra shots" and off we go.

Curiosity get the best of him on 8 tee and asks to see the driver and is it the latest technology out there. "Yes and yes"

Can I hit it? (the guy is 10 over after 7)

Hesitantly...."Sure"

Single pops it up off the crown 85 yards down the fairway.....russian_roulette.gif

"Oh no, no problem, no marks, I can believe I did that" while looking at it and wiping as hard and fast as he can as he hand it back to me with 3 fresh paint chips on the crown.

I look at it and see them and just put the cover on it and head down the fairway, resigned to the fact that I allowed him to hit it and I assume all responsibility for the damage. He has to know I see the chips at this point, but I dont say anything and bite my lip.

We play out the hole and tee off on 9, and he asks how much a new driver like that costs. "$700-$800 from the factory with the shaft that is in it". I got it in a trade here plus some $$, I'm all in for $400 or so. He didnt say anything after that.

No one in front of us for 3 more holes, but after the cost conversation he decides to stop after 9 and call it a day with no one infront of us. I never said a word about the chips.

My questions for you guys....

Do you let strangers play your equipment if asked?

Would you do anything if you were the asker and damaged a club?

Again, I am resigned to the fact that I loaned it out, I assume the risk, I said nothing after the fact. And to top it off blemishes will not effect me playing the club. Just the principle i suppose.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW,I almost puked when I read that.I'm sorry to hear about that,but I would be VERY selective as to who I would let hit that driver.His face must have turned white when you told him the price.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

I cut a strip of black or transparent 3M vinyl sheet and stick it on top of all my driver and fairway woods to prevent skymark.
But if someone in the group ask to try out my clubs I can never say No, cause it's going to be awkward the rest of the round.
Always says "you break it you buy it" "JOKINGLY" before handed out my clubs!!

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Very unfortunate that there are people like that in the world: i.e. someone who knowingly damaged some else's property, even though it was an accident, and doesn't offer to fix it or at least exchange info to be billed for the repair. This is pretty much a hit-and-run, and the reason that unless you are a family member of mine or a close friend you don't touch anything I own.

You should repaint the driver crown and If you ever run into him again at the course, you should hand him the the reciept.

9.5° Titleist 910 D3 | UST Proforce V2 6S

15° Titleist 910 F | UST Proforce V2 7S

2-9 Mizuno MP-32 | DG S300 | 2° weak

50°, 55°, 60° Titleist TVD | DG Spinner

Never Compromise GM2 Exchange 4

WOW,I almost puked when I read that.I'm sorry to hear about that,but I would be VERY selective as to who I would let hit that driver.His face must have turned white when you told him the price.

Yeah that was the end of the round for him.scare2.gif

I'm bummed because I could have just said no, but no changing what has happened now I guess.

Damn that sucks! That's why i'm glad I play clubs that are left handed! Don't have to worry about others using my clubs! Just have to learn to say no, and remember next time when someone asks to hit your stuff. Just tell them, sorry but you cant hit my driver/fw, I had a guy skymark my $400+ driver and I dont want you to hit it!

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

Very unfortunate that there are people like that in the world: i.e. someone who knowingly damaged some else's property, even though it was an accident, and doesn't offer to fix it or at least exchange info to be billed for the repair. This is pretty much a hit-and-run, and the reason that unless you are a family member of mine or a close friend you don't touch anything I own.

You should repaint the driver crown and If you ever run into him again at the course, you should hand him the the reciept.

Any tips on repainting or reccomendations on who can do it? They are not huge but they are there.

I'm not a big fan of letting a stranger try any of my stuff. Only way I'd consider it would be if they had anything I would want to try and I have seen them play enough holes to feel comfortable that they could manage to put a good swing on it.

No kidding. I think I fell into the "what the heck, I'd rather not be rude mode" rather than, these are serious investments that need to be protected. Would I let a stranger use other things? Probably not. Let my guard down on the golf course.

DSC_0001.jpg

Easy to cut and clean and replace.

Not a bad idea, I would need to get used to the tape.

Lemme take some pics of the damage.....

Not much you can do now. Same thing has happened to me in the past. Now, if you're a stranger the answer to the Can I try it? is always a polite "No".

For someone I know the answer is "if it has a headcover on it, No otherwise, Sure".

For those that would feel uncomfortable playing the round after saying "No", would you feel more comfortable finishing the round with a brand new driver with a sky mark on the crown?

[size="2"][size="2"][size="2"][quote name='varno' date='19 May 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1274322989' post='2454588']
Any tips on repainting or reccomendations on who can do it? They are not huge but they are there.[/quote]

[/size][/size]If you are a DIY person a hobby shop will have everything you need (sanding block, paint, clear coat), otherwise just take it to an auto body shop that does paint repair and have them repaint the crown.[/size]

9.5° Titleist 910 D3 | UST Proforce V2 6S

15° Titleist 910 F | UST Proforce V2 7S

2-9 Mizuno MP-32 | DG S300 | 2° weak

50°, 55°, 60° Titleist TVD | DG Spinner

Never Compromise GM2 Exchange 4

Hey Man,
I feel your predicament. I let someone hit my driver and the very same thing happened to me. In a perfect world, I would have at least expected them to say " I'm sorry, how can I make it up to you," but, sadly they didn't. The fact that the trade in value will decrease is a tough pill to swallow as well.

But... Now that the chips in the paint are there to stay, you can take a sharpie or a black paint pen and touch em up no problemo. Those chips will be out of your mental state after a week or so.

The biggest thing you should take from all this, is the fact that you are nice enough to let a stranger hit your big money driver. I think that say's a lot about your character and being kind is never anything to feel upset about regardless of the outcome. It would not surprise me at all if some good luck happens to come your way after it's all said and done. I honestly believe you did the right thing out there today by keeping cool.

If it was the putter on the other hand...lol

Thanks guys...yeah I guess I was asking for it, being a stranger and a bogey plus player.

Thanks Natural, what goes around comes around I hope. But like you said, I guess all I was looking for was a 'sorry about that' or 'can that be touched up?' or 'I cant afford to replace that, can I buy you a beer?'

Anyway, I'm ok with it, I made the call, it's on me. Luckily you cant see it at address.

Thank you for all the responses.

I wouldn't let a stranger hit any of my woods. A friend of mine has the SuperTri with Fubuki, that thing is beautiful. I want to hit it so bad, but I won't because if anything happens to it while it's in my hands, I would be the proud owner of a SuperTri.

It sucks he didn't offer to buy you a drink or at least apologize. I'm sure your good gesture will bring you good karma.

About 10 years ago, I lent a buddy a driver and a 3 and 7 wood. They were practically new Callaway Steelheads.

When I got them back, I went to play and when teeing up the first ball, I noticed some major scratches on the shaft of the driver.

I checked the 7 and 3 woods; same scratches; I guess my buddy was using an old golf bag that did not have the cushioning around the opening of the bag.

I was really bummed out; he was a really good friend, and the clubs were still usable, but I definitely noticed the scratches and it bothered me.

I was uncomfortable mentioning it to him; but did. He was incredulous, but said he would do the right thing if I asked him to.

I called Callaway and told them the story (my friend actually bought a set of Steelheads because he liked mine so much).

They told me to send the clubs back and they would replace the shafts free of charge!

It never hurts to ask!!!!

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I don't feel comfortable hitting someone else's clubs(even when they offer) so I don't think I would be uncomfortable saying no to someone.

I'm constantly amazed at what some people will do or ask. A complete stranger asking to hit your club, I just wouldn't have the balls to do that.

I'm impressed with how you're taking it and I too hope some good fortune comes your way.

Same thing happened to be recently, but it was a friend of a friend. literally dented the bottom of my driver, don't know how it did it but he did it. russian_roulette.gif

but he was kind enough to pay for a new one. I only let him try it since it would've been really awkward if i said no. Now if anyone else were to ask me, i'd just say no. 1 broken driver is enough for me

I think it would be awkward to ask a stranger if I could hit their clubs. I have had some guys offer and I always say no thanks. I would feel odd. The feeling of not wanting to mess up their club would get to me and I know it would not be a good result. It was probably what I would have done though if I were in your shoes. Not much you can do from here I guess. I'm sure he feels bad about it. I know I would.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I have let one friend use a driver ... recently, and he put a HUGE skymark on the top of it. Took a chunk of paint off. He didnt say a word besides sorry. I was pretty PO'd at the incident, until I got to the office the next day, and there was a $400 gift card to the Golfsmith .....

I don't let anyone touch my driver anymore ... just can't do it.

[quote name='TheNatural72' date='19 May 2010 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1274325748' post='2454704']
Hey Man,
I feel your predicament. I let someone hit my driver and the very same thing happened to me. In a perfect world, I would have at least expected them to say " I'm sorry, how can I make it up to you," but, sadly they didn't. The fact that the trade in value will decrease is a tough pill to swallow as well.

But... Now that the chips in the paint are there to stay, you can take a sharpie or a black paint pen and touch em up no problemo. Those chips will be out of your mental state after a week or so.

The biggest thing you should take from all this, is the fact that you are nice enough to let a stranger hit your big money driver. I think that say's a lot about your character and being kind is never anything to feel upset about regardless of the outcome. It would not surprise me at all if some good luck happens to come your way after it's all said and done. I honestly believe you did the right thing out there today by keeping cool.

If it was the putter on the other hand...lol
[/quote]

Great post. Couldn't agree more. Being a good person can definitely get you kicked in the nuts at times and this is a good example but it's never wrong to be nice and I probably wouldn't have said anything about it either. The OP loaned the driver when he could have said no and it's not like the guy purposely screwed up the club. It was an accident. Technically the club isn't ruined as the mark has no bearing on play so you can't expect the guy to buy you a new driver. I think the OP did it right. It's an awkward situation that ended just about as well as it could have. OP, karma is cyclical so expect some good things coming your way.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' date='20 May 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1274332913' post='2454956']
I don't feel comfortable hitting someone else's clubs(even when they offer) so I don't think I would be uncomfortable saying no to someone.

I'm constantly amazed at what some people will do or ask. A complete stranger asking to hit your club, I just wouldn't have the balls to do that.

I'm impressed with how you're taking it and I too hope some good fortune comes your way.
[/quote]

It's not something that would enter my mind either. Now if it's a friend of a friend that I might not know, it's a different story but a total stranger that I get hooked up with on the first box is not going to be hitting any of my clubs, maybe my putter since that would take effort to damage, but none of the other 13 clubs are getting used by anyone but me. I would never dream of asking a complete stranger if I could hit their club. If I'm in the middle of a round where I plan on submitting my score for handicap purposes then there's that whole question of what to do there.

I agree with the I wouldn't ever even ask. I've hit one other persons brand new driver and he pretty much begged me to, and I was paranoid the whole time. I hate borrowing something if I don't have the cash in my pocket to fork over in the event I mess it up.

Now I do let one of the maintenence guys at my club hit my driver whenever he wants. A) My clubs aren't expensive, go go hireko B) He's so much better than me I'm more likely to screw them up than him. C) I always try to be nice to the guys sweating their butts off picking up my errant balls along the parallel hole. Luckily I'm lefty so don't have to worry about too many others asking.