2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing in the heat

An lesson almost learned too late
I know that we all think we are bullet-proof and the "rules" of commonsense don't really apply to us. Friday, I almost learned too late that what the National Weather Service says about outdoor activity on days when there is an "Extreme Heat Warning" apply to me.

Friday was the last day before classes start so a couple of buddies and I decieded to get in one last round while we could. The fact that there was a heat warning due to temperatures approaching 100* and a humidity making it feel like 109-110* didn't apply to us. The fact that I am the oldest guy in the bunch by 10 years or so and that I always walk the course shouldn't be a problem, right?

Things were great until about hole 14 when I noticed I wasn't sweating much. i was staying hydrated but I noticed that most of what I drank between holes was in my stomach and not on my shirt. I played great on those last 5 holes - 1 over so there wasn't a problem - right. The fact that I was barely able to get my clubs in the back of the truck was due to normal fatigue from a good round of golf - right? Heat had nothing to do with it - right? The fact that I was too fagged to even take a nap when I got home was elation at my round - right? The shade of bright red I had turned after taking a shower was normal - right? Hurling up everything I have ever eaten, drinken, or imagined that I would ever consume at the restaurant we went to that evening was food poisoning - right?

How very wrong I was about everyting above. I was suffering from heat exhaustion that could have quickly moved to heat stroke had I stayed outside just a little longer than I did. Thankfully, the round ended when it did or I could have been in a huge amount of trouble.

I have learned my lesson and I urge everyone else to think seriously about taking these heat warnings to heart. If you feel like you have to play, put your ego in your backpockets and sit on them as you pay the extra money and ride instead of walk. Even better, say home in the afternoons and play (and ride) in the mornings or late afternoons. It may mean that we play a little less in the parts of the country where heat and humidity are extreme in the summer. But it's better than being a part of the dirt hotel as a result of thinking the rules of commonsense don't apply to us.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for proof-reading my text. I suggest that you haven't so much discovered a grammatical mistake as to have pointed out a case of careless typing. But, you be the judge - a role with which you seem to be quite familiar.

[i]"I never made a mistake in grammar but one in my life and as soon as I done it, I seen it" - Carl Sandburg.

[/i]

Believe it or not, many people don't sweat regardless of temp or conditions; that's an early sign.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1282486347' post='2654579']
I know that we all think we are bullet-proof and the "rules" of commonsense don't really apply to us. Friday, I almost learned too late that what the National Weather Service says about outdoor activity on days when there is an "Extreme Heat Warning" apply to me.

Friday was the last day before classes start so a couple of buddies and I decieded to get in one last round while we could. The fact that there was a heat warning due to temperatures approaching 100* and a humidity making it feel like 109-110* didn't apply to us. The fact that I am the oldest guy in the bunch by 10 years or so and that I always walk the course shouldn't be a problem, right?

Things were great until about hole 14 when I noticed I wasn't sweating much. i was staying hydrated but I noticed that most of what I drank between holes was in my stomach and not on my shirt. I played great on those last 5 holes - 1 over so there wasn't a problem - right. The fact that I was barely able to get my clubs in the back of the truck was due to normal fatigue from a good round of golf - right? Heat had nothing to do with it - right? The fact that I was too fagged to even take a nap when I got home was elation at my round - right? The shade of bright red I had turned after taking a shower was normal - right? Hurling up everything I have ever eaten, drinken, or imagined that I would ever consume at the restaurant we went to that evening was food poisoning - right?

How very wrong I was about everyting above. I was suffering from heat exhaustion that could have quickly moved to heat stroke had I stayed outside just a little longer than I did. Thankfully, the round ended when it did or I could have been in a huge amount of trouble.

I have learned my lesson and I urge everyone else to think seriously about taking these heat warnings to heart. If you feel like you have to play, put your ego in your backpockets and sit on them as you pay the extra money and ride instead of walk. Even better, say home in the afternoons and play (and ride) in the mornings or late afternoons. It may mean that we play a little less in the parts of the country where heat and humidity are extreme in the summer. But it's better than being a part of the dirt hotel as a result of thinking the rules of commonsense don't apply to us.
[/quote]

Scary stuff. Most people get closer to heat exhaustion/stroke on a regular basis than they realize.

Good eye opening thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us. :clapping:

Pay attention to range time too....

I'm always very careful during rounds.... from drinking a lot, eating well, and taking breaks in the shade or in the clubhouse between 9s to cool down. About 2 months ago, I decided to hit the range before doing some work around the house. I ran out to the course, hit one bucket in the short game area, two more on the range, and was walking to the putting green when my stomach started to hurt pretty bad. I decided to head to the clubhouse to get a gatorade..... and as soon as I ordered, everything started going black/seeing stars, getting that tingling feeling, whatever. I grabbed onto the counter and told the server that I might pass out. He opened my gatorade so I could drink a bit and got me some water. I stood there for a few minutes until the worst feelings passed and sat down at a table for about 30 minutes, getting food and more drinks in the process.

Now it was quite hot, but I'm "used" to the 100* heat and super high humidity living in Mississippi. There was no breeze, and when I thought about it, I realized that up until that gatorade, the only thing I put into my system that day was a can of Diet Mountain Dew and a piece of string cheese. 60 calories, 12 oz of fluid, 3 buckets, a lot of sweat.... all by 11:30 am. I could have paid big time for being in a hurry and not thinking about things, but I got pretty lucky with my timing.

I must admit that since then, I've been extra careful any time I go out. It's crazy how just not thinking can catch up with you so hard. I was just trying to hit some balls before hitting Lowes and the housework, and I even was probably hitting them too fast trying to get in a lot in a little time. Ended up skipping all that......

Man, Smitty, you were close ..... too close.

If I'm playing with someone -- [i]anyone[/i] -- who stops sweating it's 9-1-1. I don't care what they say.

[b]Hyperthermia is a [u]medical[/u] [u]emergency[/u] and requires immediate treatment to prevent disability and death.

[color="#000080"][u]Signs and symptoms[/u]

Hot, dry skin is a typical sign of hyperthermia. The skin may become red and hot as blood vessels dilate in an attempt to increase heat dissipation, sometimes leading to swollen lips. An inability to cool the body through perspiration causes the skin to feel dry.

Other signs and symptoms vary depending on the cause. The dehydration associated with heat stroke can produce nausea, vomiting, headaches, and low blood pressure. This can lead to fainting or dizziness, especially if the person stands suddenly.

In the case of severe heat stroke, the person may become confused or hostile, and may seem intoxicated. Heart rate and respiration rate will increase (tachycardia and tachypnea) as blood pressure drops and the heart attempts to supply enough oxygen to the body. The decrease in blood pressure can then cause blood vessels to contract, resulting in a pale or bluish skin color in advanced cases of heat stroke. Some victims, especially young children, may have seizures. Eventually, as body organs begin to fail, unconsciousness and coma will result.[/color]
[/b]

If I was up there I'd bust you one in the noggin, ya knucklehead. :nono:

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I almost got a taste of it in Houston last weekend ... Played / Walked with start @ 2:00 ... I've got experience in endurance sports so I understand the requirement to pre / during / post hydrate & feed ... Front nine I just sweated like a pig , drank lots of water , and felt pretty good so I decided to play the back 9 as well .... thru 10 holes I'm 1 over and thought I was doing OK , about # 12 I started slowing down , by the time I got to # 15 I was toast ... By the time I came up # 18 , I was thinking Ken Venturi @ 1964 Open .... Played the last 8 holes in 9 over ... Sat night & Sunday required serious recovery

It was 109 yesterday... today 100+. Didn't card a great round today but it was better then working. I had a white bath towel along and a a small wash cloth which was in the cooler in ice. I was a great day.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Damn, close to being serious. My clicgear has the umbrella attachment and I use it anytime the sun is out. I might look like an old lady but I couldnt care less. Plus I hydrate constantly. I still sweat out 3-5lbs over the round if it's in the heat of the day.

Oh and like Pepper mentioned, a cold, wet towel on the neck is good too. Every water station, give it a good dousing.

Been there. Not fun. Headaches are a sign your brain is swelling slightly. I learned:

1. Hydrate BEFORE you play.
2. Keep hydrating with a mix of Gatorade type fluids.
3. Wet your head with a towel as you play.

I hate to tell you, but now you'll probably be more susceptible to this. I am, and it sucks.

I drink fluids (water, gatorade) constantly, use my huge Nike umbrella in it's holder on my speedcart, and wear this cooler thing that you soak in water first around my neck. Dry, it's flat and feels like it has crystals in it. Soak it and it swells up to a round sausage like thing that stays relatively cool via evaporation. Works better when it's hot and dry out, but still helps when the humidity is elevated during the monsoon season.

Could care less what I look like, it' significantly cooler under my umbrella, as verified by playing partners, and the banana thingie helps considerably. Oh, and I wear the new tech shirts and shorts. They really do help.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• 2 weeks later...

Also keep in mind beer IS NOT good for hydrating. I have a friend who has gone down twice while drinking beer instead of water, and the last time required a trip to the ER. Save the drinking for post round in air conditioning. I don't know if it's universal, but he was really stiff and sore for several days afterward.

Ok, I think this is one of the better posts of many good posts on this forum. We all use different equipment, but we all have health in common. Heat can have a harmful effect on anyone no matter how much in shape they consider themselves. I have battled heat in the Dallas area for years with temps over 100, and index higher115 plus. I am 66, with heart conditions of Sinus Bardiacardia, Arterial Fibrillation, and Congestive Heart failure. Needless to say the effects of heat is a major concern for me. This is my routine. I drink plenty of water, and I add some electrolytes

Here is a snippet from a website that explains:

[size="3"]"Electrolytes are important because they are what your cells (especially nerve, heart, muscle) use to maintain voltages across their cell membranes and to carry electrical impulses (nerve impulses, muscle contractions) across themselves and to other cells. Your kidneys work to keep the electrolyte concentrations in your blood constant despite changes in your body. For example, when you exercise heavily, you lose electrolytes in your sweat, particularly sodium and potassium. These electrolytes must be replaced to keep the electrolyte concentrations of your body fluids constant.".[/size]

[size="3"]My experience is without the proper electrolytes my muscles start to cramp during and after the round. Also when the muscles don't properly fire it will definitely impact our golf swing.[/size]

[size="3"]There are several sources for electrolytes I use "Emengen-C", and you can find this and some other powders to add to water in the Power Bar section of your store. Gatorade also has "some", but for me I prefer more than n Gatorade, plus Gatorade give to you a false sense of feeling better because of the "sugar" boost, which quickly goes away. I also take Q-10 on a daily bases, this is more important for us Seniors it supplies our heart with the Q-10 that the heart produces naturally (then slow down as we age).[/size]

[size="3"]Now that is a good start. I also have a 6 pack cooler of ice and water for dipping a towel, and my golf hat. I wear a golf hat made for that purpose plus it is wide enough to shade the sun. I wear Nike sleeves for summer wear they not only help me stay cool, but the block 97% of the UV rays, and I can take my iced down towel and rub it over the sleeves. WOW, feels good. I am always looking for shade to stay cool as possible.[/size]

[size="3"]Because of my heart conditions my blood has been thinned. Good for me, but not many golfer have their blood thinned to tackle the heat. I know one playing Pro that takes a couple aspirins prior to his round and on the turn for blood thinning in the heat.[/size]

[size="3"]The benefit to playing in heat is that the course is often empty, the bad part of playing golf in the heat is it can impact your health. So if one of your players or yourself is over come by the heat try to move them to shade lay the down, take towels of ice and place under their arm pits, and groin area. Call the Pro shop with your cell phone and ask for the medics. (fire department).[/size]

[size="3"]Because of these few steps I have no problem playing in the heat. There is also ice scarfs. (you can get them from several sources I get mine a Wal Mart). I carry a couple in my ice chest, but I don't use them very often. [/size]

[size="3"][/size]

Tee it Up

This happened to me a coulple of years ago. Played 18 in the afternoon during the summer and thought I was okay until I got home and was still hot, fatigued, and slightly dizzy with a headache. Being the ignorant youth that I was I got in the pool thinking it would cool me down but I was still hot. After a few hours I felt better and vowed to never again walk 18 when the temp gets above 90*. Now I only hit balls and work on my short game during the summer so it's kind of like my off season. My golf season is getting ready to start with the fall fast approaching:D

I offered some of this advice in another "playing in the heat" type of thread a while back. The post above from Senior_Golfer offers great advice. To piggyback on that:

Stay away from old school Gatorade and anything that has HFCS unless you like to speed up the dehydration process. High Fructose Corn Syrup is about the worst you can do on the golf course outside of drinking booze. I noticed that Gatorade now advertises (!) NO HFCS. There is a big reason for that! Water and a bit of salt are needed at minimum. Eat and hydrate before the round. Trying to fight off the heat while you play is not the best plan; you've got to start the night/day before. Eat well (don't play hungover) and drink tons of water (you might urinate a lot during the night) and keep drinking the next day even if you are not thirsty.

You need the food and bit of salt to keep absorbing the water otherwise you'll just pee it out (clear). Don't eat and not drink because your body uses a lot more fluids to digest food. Once you stop feeling the need to urinate (or it's low in volume and dark and smells) that's a good sign your heat levels are getting bad. Not sweating (when you normally do sweat) is a clue to get rest and call it a day. Trust me, I live in Southern Arizona. 110 and I won't even go outside, much less play.
Jeff

Well said Jeff. I only add this as a rule, prepare for the heat, or don't get out in the heat. You can properly prepare and easily handle the heat, but if you are not aware of all the precautions then the best precaution is not play in the heat. I have played in some extreme heat, and had a enjoyable time. Preperation is the KEY.

Jeff mentioned smell in the urine as key to the effects of heat on your organs.

"Ammonia comes from the breakdown of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) within the body. It is made up of nitrogen and hydrogen. The hydrogen atoms are converted to glucose and used as fuel. The nitrogen is a waste product that needs to be excreted by the body, and is processed in the kidneys to form urea that is excreted in urine. If there is too much nitrogen for your kidneys to deal with, it will be excreted as ammonia in your sweat.

One factor to consider is water intake. If you are consuming adequate fluid, the ammonia will be diluted a decrease in the concentration will result in a less potent smell of ammonia. One way to be sure you are drinking enough fluids is to ensure your urine is clear."

Once you smell ammonia or your urine is not clear it is a real good signal that your precautions are not adquate. Time to get out of the heat.

There have been times that my body has trapped fluids because of the stress of the heat. The body will activate an emerency action to "trap" fluid for a reserve. Times I have left the golf course like a bloated whale from all the fluids. Look out in about three days it all comes out.. LOL

The trick to playing effectively in the heat is not to down large amounts of fluids after every 3-4 holes, but taking a good swig on just about every shot. I play in Arizona all summer long and walk lots of it. After a tee shot drink, after approach drink, after I finish putting and drink.