2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How do know when it's time to go to the yellow tees?

Tanner25

How do know when it's time to go to the yellow tees? I have been playing golf for 30 years and upon review of my last round of golf, even with my best tee shots I am still past 150 and out. Often I am 180-200 out on a par 4. I was thinking wow, wouldn't the game be more enjoyable if I was hitting a 5 iron instead of a fairway wood or once in a while have a wedge in your hand. I was just curious of those who made this transition, when did you do it and

what your experience has been like after the move to the yellow tees!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I knew the answer to that question. I also suspect that the lack of response to your question is because of the difficultly that all of us have when we are faced to the effects of father time. It is really hard to imagine that we have to scoot up a might as we get older. We want to believe that somehow we can dodge the issue. We won't of course.

I have always been told that you move tees when you are not able to reach the green on a medium lenght par 4 with a driven and long iron. Hope that helps some.

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1286925136' post='2740298']
How do know when it's time to go to the yellow tees? I have been playing golf for 30 years and upon review of my last round of golf, even with my best tee shots I am still past 150 and out. Often I am 180-200 out on a par 4. I was thinking wow, wouldn't the game be more enjoyable if I was hitting a 5 iron instead of a fairway wood or once in a while have a wedge in your hand. I was just curious of those who made this transition, when did you do it and
[/quote]

What is stopping you from playing any tee you want? In official events, your age will determine what tees you play.
In everyday play, you can play any set of tees you want. For handicap posting, just select the correct tee when you post a score.
At 49, I'm looking forward to moving up to the senior tees for all events at 55 years young.

I presume the yellow tees are forward of the men's shorter tees (whites on our course). Maybe call them senior men's tees. But on the last club I belonged to, there were gold tees that were forward of the reds but back of the whites. I thought they were intended for better ladies or super-seniors.

I agree with previous posters, though. If you are pulling out a fairway wood for a 2nd shot on most par 4's, time to move up a tee. And you know what? Often that move up yields a good enough score that you say to yourself, "man, what's the problem here, I can handle the whites, easily." I think it is a matter of just allowing the release to happen naturally as opposed to trying to power the release. Gaining confidence from the shorter tees is a big reason to go there every now and then.

That is my experience as a borderline white or blue tee player. When I start trying to swing hard to get my drives out there from the blues, I actually lose distance. Going back to the whites I tend to swing easy and regain my confidence as I hit the ball farther than I would from the blues.

On our course, we have two eighteens. One has a men's rating from the forward (red) tees, the other does not. Strange but true. On the other hand, and stranger, I do not believe that there are ladies' ratings from the white tees from either eighteen. Especially so given that we have some ladies in our club that would challenge most of the men from any tee.

[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1287442520' post='2748696']
I presume the yellow tees are forward of the men's shorter tees (whites on our course). Maybe call them senior men's tees. But on the last club I belonged to, there were gold tees that were forward of the reds but back of the whites. I thought they were intended for better ladies or super-seniors.

I agree with previous posters, though. If you are pulling out a fairway wood for a 2nd shot on most par 4's, time to move up a tee. And you know what? Often that move up yields a good enough score that you say to yourself, "man, what's the problem here, I can handle the whites, easily." I think it is a matter of just allowing the release to happen naturally as opposed to trying to power the release. Gaining confidence from the shorter tees is a big reason to go there every now and then.

That is my experience as a borderline white or blue tee player. When I start trying to swing hard to get my drives out there from the blues, I actually lose distance. Going back to the whites I tend to swing easy and regain my confidence as I hit the ball farther than I would from the blues.

On our course, we have two eighteens. One has a men's rating from the forward (red) tees, the other does not. Strange but true. On the other hand, and stranger, I do not believe that there are ladies' ratings from the white tees from either eighteen. Especially so given that we have some ladies in our club that would challenge most of the men from any tee.
[/quote]

Thanks, for the replies. By yellow, I mean between the white, men's regular and red, ladies. On the longesh par 4's I would welcome pulling out a 5 iron instead of a 5 wood. I just have a feeling there will be some goofy yardages on occasion like a par 3 that is 100 yards. But, collectively it should be more fun.

Golf should be fun. I work once in a great while at my home course and we get the what tees should I play question once in a while. We also have a par 4 that plays 475 from the mens tee, so most everyone is hitting a wood into that hole. We pretty much recommend tees based on handicap. If they don't have a index and don't play often, we advise them to play the senior tee which is gold at our course.
If the mens tee is becoming a stretch, I say move up. Like I said, I'm 49 and am already finding out that I'm not as long as I once was. When I play with my regular group, I always play the mens tee, but often when I play with the wife, I play the senior tee just to mix things up and it puts me on the same tee box as her ladies tee.
When I turn 55, I'm moving up all the time as that is the standard age when most change at my course.

For me i think you can have a Hybrid in your hand on say the longest 3-4 par 4's and that is ok. Mid Iron to long Iron in on the rest. But anything longer than that and it isn't fun. I prefer to try and hit greens not just get it around the green with 3wood approaches. I like 7k or less But will occasionally go longer if needed. 6500-6800 is ideal for regular play. I hit average off the tee 275ish and 470 yard par 4's are the most I like as it will leave a hybrid at most with an ok drive. I say move up if you are thinking about it at all. Each tee box has a handicap, By moving up you will just have to shoot a couple of shots better.

I agree golf is supposed to be fun. I play alot of different courses so I get a good mix of different length courses. If I played the way you mention all the time it wouldn't be much fun for me. I usually look at the yardage of the course and decide what tees I play if it is a new one I never played before. I would pick the tees that you will have the most fun from and forget what color they are. I good mix keeps me interested and makes it fun for me.

For me i think you can have a Hybrid in your hand on say the longest 3-4 par 4's and that is ok. Mid Iron to long Iron in on the rest. But anything longer than that and it isn't fun. I prefer to try and hit greens not just get it around the green with 3wood approaches. I like 7k or less But will occasionally go longer if needed. 6500-6800 is ideal for regular play. I hit average off the tee 275ish and 470 yard par 4's are the most I like as it will leave a hybrid at most with an ok drive. I say move up if you are thinking about it at all. Each tee box has a handicap, By moving up you will just have to shoot a couple of shots better.

Just for curiosity, how old are you? laugh.gif

I have the finest fairway woods with premium shafts, and the state of the arts rescue / hybrids that money can buy...But Why Do I Have To Hit Them Into Every Damned Par 4?biggrin.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Well, I went out for a run the other day, which turned into a jog, which turned into a walk, and was thinking about that same question. Some points I came up with:

1. You have one set of glasses to see your drive, and a different set of glasses to read your GPS.
2. You’re very interested in reviews and user comments on push carts.
3. The idea of carrying your clubs for 18 holes on a hilly course seems quaint.
4. A crack of dawn tee time doesn’t bother you at all, since you’ve been up for 2 hours anyway.
5. You’re not a big fan of the twilight rate in the summer, because, well, it can get a little hard to see at dusk, and by the time the round is over, it’s near bedtime.
6. Sudden noises in your backswing don’t bother you, since you don’t hear them.
7. You’ve become that “annoying old guy”, who pokes his drive down the fairway, hits his next shot near or on the green, gets his par and moves on, ad infinitum.

I'm 63 just last week. At our course with the current group of skin players. You have to be 70 for the senior tees. Or have a really good excuse. Such as this is your last day on earth. Anything to win a quarter right?

We have a 83 year old that is in the Mid 70's every day from the yellows. The old guys are a tough bunch.

• 1 month later...

I've gone to a mixed tee approach with my foursome of which I'm the oldest and, not coincidentally, the shortest hitter.

On a good day I can hit a driver/fairway wood in the 380-390 range with two good shots. Any par four over 400 I move up. I move up on any par five that's over 500 yards and on any par three that's over 180. My foursome doesn't mind and it's made the game a LOT more enjoyable the past couple of months.

I'm 60 and go about 145 pounds soaking wet, by the way. I walk every time, too.

[quote name='Bobbers' timestamp='1290631918' post='2807081']
I've gone to a mixed tee approach with my foursome of which I'm the oldest and, not coincidentally, the shortest hitter.

On a good day I can hit a driver/fairway wood in the 380-390 range with two good shots. Any par four over 400 I move up. I move up on any par five that's over 500 yards and on any par three that's over 180. My foursome doesn't mind and it's made the game a LOT more enjoyable the past couple of months.

[/quote]

Bobbers, Like the mixed tee approach. Some courses are lopsided and IMOP poorly designed. They have several holes of 410-420 and several at 285-330. A mixed tee approach cd help out with the balance. Another related subject is why is it exciting for pros to have reachable par 4's and 5's. But, somehow for the average Joe this is frowned up as too easy....interesting concept.

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1291167192' post='2817094']
[quote name='Bobbers' timestamp='1290631918' post='2807081']

[/quote]

Bobbers, Like the mixed tee approach. Some courses are lopsided and IMOP poorly designed. They have several holes of 410-420 and several at 285-330. A mixed tee approach cd help out with the balance. Another related subject is why is it exciting for pros to have reachable par 4's and 5's. But, somehow for the average Joe this is frowned up as too easy....interesting concept.
[/quote]
My favorite group is composed of 3 guys in their late 40s and me - the old guy. I have tried to play from the blue tees with the these guys by adding strokes but it just wasn't working. I don't like taking strokes when the problem isn't a lack of skill but a lack of distance! So this summer, we split tees. I play from the whites and they play from the blues. No strokes, just distance. It was a revelation. I began to play much better and have more fun.

They put all those tee boxes on the course for a reason. It just took me 50 years to figure out why. Give it a shot. I think you will be happy you did.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 59 and I play from the white and the forward tee. Most of my playing buddies are younger than me so I play from the whites. If playing with someone older and they want to play from the senior tees, that's where I play from. i think it is really good to mix it up.

Ping G400 Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 5 Wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 4/5/6 Hybrids
Callaway Mavrik Max Irons 7-PW

Cleveland 48*, 52*, 56* CBX2 Wedges
Callaway 60* Sure Out Wedge

Odyssey Eleven Lined Putter

Titleist AVX Ball

JumboMax Ultralite XS Grips

[/quote]

I have not made it to where you are in your golfing career, but I read about it a year ago. This is what you:
Take your 5-iron distance and multiply by 36. Then play the tees that are closest to that number. Hope it helps.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='torrejuan' timestamp='1292950859' post='2851839']
[/quote]

I have not made it to where you are in your golfing career, but I read about it a year ago. This is what you:
Take your 5-iron distance and multiply by 36. Then play the tees that are closest to that number. Hope it helps.
[/quote]

Wow, that is pretty cool. But, I think slightly off. I hit my 5 iron 150 yards, that would put me at 5,400 - which I believe would be more in the red tee range. I am thinking more like 5,800- 5,900 would be perfect!

[quote name='MARK918' timestamp='1292901630' post='2851046']
There are different sets of tees for a reason. You are playing agaist the slope and rating anyway. Enjoy yourself and have fun.
[/quote]

Good point. The slope, width of fairways, water and other hazzards are just as much a factor as length.

Try the 5400 one day, then the 5900 another day. Have fun with it!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

I'm 66 and hit my 5 iron (or 5 hybrid now) about 160. I have found that the 5800 to 6000 yard range is about right for me. If it gets over 6000 I find myself hitting hybrids into most all of the par fours and a lot of the par threes. That's not very enjoyable golf in my opinion. Now I look at the yardage more than the color of the tees. I play in a Tuesday league year round (although this year we haven't been playing much in December) and we play the white tees in the Summer league and the yellow tees in the Winter league. That makes it about the same game year round since the ball doesn't carry as far in Winter. Our handicap is based on points and I pull about the same in both leagues. My advice is to play the tees that you feel comfortable with. It's no fun to be hitting fairway woods and hybrids into every par four; golf is supposed to be fun so make it that way for you.

[quote name='billyb' timestamp='1293643633' post='2864168']
I'm 66 and hit my 5 iron (or 5 hybrid now) about 160. I have found that the 5800 to 6000 yard range is about right for me. If it gets over 6000 I find myself hitting hybrids into most all of the par fours and a lot of the par threes. That's not very enjoyable golf in my opinion. Now I look at the yardage more than the color of the tees. I play in a Tuesday league year round (although this year we haven't been playing much in December) and we play the white tees in the Summer league and the yellow tees in the Winter league. That makes it about the same game year round since the ball doesn't carry as far in Winter. Our handicap is based on points and I pull about the same in both leagues. My advice is to play the tees that you feel comfortable with. It's no fun to be hitting fairway woods and hybrids into every par four; golf is supposed to be fun so make it that way for you.
[/quote]

Welcome, Billy B. Good thoughts about playing the yardage. Also, taking into consideration the winter conditions.

I used to think 6100 yards was perfect. Now, I am with you, 5,800- 6,000 will work.
I don't mind hitting hybrids and fairway woods on the second shot. It's the 400-420
yard hole that is not reachable with those clubs - that makes the game no fun. Also, considering I am a weak chipper. I'd rather have some 6-W's where I can hit the green.

IMHO, there is no "shame" in playing forward tees regardless of age...where can you play where the game is the most fun? That's the question I ask...on some courses, I am happier playing back...on others, I play forward. Sometimes I change it up. If someone disapproves of my choice of tees, they can his my big arse. I play where the game is most enjoyable to me. If I want to score, I won't play from 7500 yards. And if people laugh at a 40 year old playing from the front tees sometimes - so be it. Let them slug it out from the black tees.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1293668595' post='2864889']
IMHO, there is no "shame" in playing forward tees regardless of age...where can you play where the game is the most fun? That's the question I ask...on some courses, I am happier playing back...on others, I play forward. Sometimes I change it up. If someone disapproves of my choice of tees, they can his my big arse. I play where the game is most enjoyable to me. If I want to score, I won't play from 7500 yards. And if people laugh at a 40 year old playing from the front tees sometimes - so be it. Let them slug it out from the black tees.
[/quote]

Thx, for the support jabrch. Nice to see someone else is dealing with the same issue.

I'm the "young" guy of our regular group (47) with two 50's and a 71 year old. The 71 year old used to play on tour and is still very good, but obviously quite a bit shorter.

We've offered him to move up to the men's tees from the tips where we usually play, but he won't have anything to do with that (which is probably really a good thing for us), he hits a lot of fairway woods into the par fours. However he really does prove the point that scoring is around the green, he can't reach some of the par fours, and even one of the par threes (uphill 240 yder), but inevitably, he's usually right around par or two or three over.

Maybe we'll take back our offer, if he does move up I have a feeling that would end up costing us money.

(I just hope I can maintain my length for two or three more years, the seniors here start at 50, and they play two tee boxes up)

I'm typically the "young" guy of the groups I play with at 50 y/o. Most of the guys are over 60, with a couple of them over 70, and one that's 86. We mix it up strictly based on driving distance. Once a guy struggles to get it out past 230-240, we move them up a tee. The majority of the guys play from the white tees, the guys who struggle to hit a drive out past the 230 mark get the gold (or "senior") tees, and typically me and one other guy get shoved back to the tips.

It works out very well, keeps our matches very competitive, and keeps it fun for all involved.

Oh... and the 86 year old?... he still hits a drive about 225, never misses the green by too much no matter how far out his 2nd shot is, and will literally KILL you around the greens. It's rare to get in his pocket.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

[quote name='albatrosser' timestamp='1293724390' post='2865933']
I'm typically the "young" guy of the groups I play with at 50 y/o. Most of the guys are over 60, with a couple of them over 70, and one that's 86. We mix it up strictly based on driving distance. Once a guy struggles to get it out past 230-240, we move them up a tee. The majority of the guys play from the white tees, the guys who struggle to hit a drive out past the 230 mark get the gold (or "senior") tees, and typically me and one other guy get shoved back to the tips.

It works out very well, keeps our matches very competitive, and keeps it fun for all involved.

Oh... and the 86 year old?... he still hits a drive about 225, never misses the green by too much no matter how far out his 2nd shot is, and will literally KILL you around the greens. It's rare to get in his pocket.
[/quote]

Update: Ok, I tried playing from the golds at Crooked Creek in the Triangle area of NC.
This is a hard course for the average joe. They had the tees at 5,100. Yes, this would
be normally way too short. But, it has a monster slope and elevation changes. There
were some par 3's that played more like pitch and putts. But, as I thought - on many of the holes it was nice to hit 6 and 7 irons in when I would usually hit hyrbids and fairway wood. # 1 hole was a good example. I hit a good drive and I was still 140 out. With a 6 iron I was on, with a 3 hybrid - it's a 50-50 shot. Not to mention a chance of a total shank.

I guess it is hard to lay our the yardages to keep everyone happy. But, I am thinking there are some of the short holes, it would be great to put the whites and yellows together. I guess that is where mixing and matching can come in.

The end result of my day was I had more fun, had a few memorable holes, oh yeah, 1 birdie ( #10) stuffed a 9 iron within 6 inches, and I was not beat up the whole day. If you are a 50 + er....something to consider!

I shot a 92 in wet conditions. I would normally be at 98-100 in good conditions on this course.