2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

CALLY RAZR HAWK TOUR - COURSE REVIEW

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1300985541' post='3084230']
pinhigh - it will beat your 9015D in both categories.
[/quote]

...true

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1301054658' post='3086738']
I also enjoy this driver, but my one and only complaint is that the sole (the black material where "Razr Hawk" is printed) shows wear horribly. Of course it doesn't effect performance, but it's one of those OCD things that drives me nuts.

Nice write up though, glad you like the driver.
[/quote]

Don't hit the ground ;)

I only have tee marks which come off with grip solvent.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1301064891' post='3087084']
I also enjoy this driver, but my one and only complaint is that the sole (the black material where "Razr Hawk" is printed) shows wear horribly. Of course it doesn't effect performance, but it's one of those OCD things that drives me nuts.

[/quote]

Don't hit the ground ;)

[/quote]

See, this is the problem with some of the forum members here, comments like yours. You assume that I hit the ground b/c you don't know a thing about me. I find that the tee marks (I use Epochs, hopefully that's ok with you) are a pain to get off of the sole, especially compared to removing marking off of my R9 or my R11. Please reserve your judgemental comments, they really aren't funny or welcome.

Don't hit the ground ;)

See, this is the problem with some of the forum members here, comments like yours. You assume that I hit the ground b/c you don't know a thing about me. I find that the tee marks (I use Epochs, hopefully that's ok with you) are a pain to get off of the sole, especially compared to removing marking off of my R9 or my R11. Please reserve your judgemental comments, they really aren't funny or welcome.

It was meant to be funny - hence the >wink< smiley. relax. Laugh it off. friends.gif

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1301065958' post='3087141']

[/quote]

Don't hit the ground ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

I love the Hawk Tour driver as well. And would recommend it with highest marks. Will probably be writing my own review soon, comparing it to the Octane Tour as well, which I also like very much, and maybe even more than the Hawk.

But back to the above comments, of course nothing is perfect, and I can attest to tc's comments about the bottom black wear. Even not hitting the ground, the black on the bottom seems like it would chip, nick, or mark up very easily. When I received mine brand new there was a very small speck nick on that black bottom already before I even took it out of the bag.

Like tc I'm a bit OCD and like to keep things looking as well as possible. Yet I'm also aware these are tools, and as such they're going to get worn and beat up no matter how much effort is taken to keep them looking good.

With all that said, I suspect tc could hit the ground intentionally off the deck without a tee and still smash the heck out of it, it's such a good club, and I think tc is a pretty fair golfer as well.

:friends:

[quote name='tcalloway1' timestamp='1301065958' post='3087141']

[/quote]

Don't hit the ground ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah. I thought I was alone in my OCD. LMAO. I only like to use natural tees for that exact reason. No marks whatsoever. Or I'll use a black tee which works well too. That's too funny!!

I'm not trying to doubt you robo, but it seems like every new club that comes out, an OEM sends you one and you jump on it. I remember at least l4v, l5v, burner superfast, r11 and now this.

So ... I hope you understand - I am posting my good results - and the ones you listed were by me - but L4 was in 06/07 - so that's too many ;) pssssstttt - I'm messin with G15 & 910D3.

Moving on ..... gandalf.gifgandalf.gifgandalf.gifcharacter38.gif

Interested on how the G15 and 910 compare to the rht!!!

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I am looking at getting a razr hawk tour driver and am coming from a 9064ls rip gamma stiff 10.5. Can anyone comment on how forgiving the hawk tour head is? I do not have access to a launch monitor so I was considering a hawk tour 10.5 stock rip stiff. My ss is 99-102. I like the look of the tour but I am open to getting the standard razr hawk 10.5 as well. I had no issue with keeping the ball in the fairway with the adams but I like the look and feel of the callaway better. I hope to get to the range with a demo soon....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

I have hit the Razr Hawk with the stock RIP shaft and I would have to agree that it felt softer in the tip, but overall a very, very nice shaft with this head.

Callaway's website has the following listed for the RIP shaft in the Razr Hawk: "The RAZR Hawk Driver has an Aldila RIP Graphite Shaft with optimized torque and flex characteristics for better tip stability with great predictability, smooth feel and excellent control".

I would also say to try it out with the stock RIP before discarding it. I thought it was a great match for the head and can't wait for it to warm up here in Michigan to try one out on the course.

It will be going up against 3 Ping G15's (one has Aldila NV55, another with Diamana Blue 63 and last with Aldila RIP 60 all in stiff and all three G15 heads are 10.5º just trying to fine tune the shaft/head combo to get the best match for my swing). I also hope to get a Cleveland Launcher SL290 w/ Miyazaki 43 "S" to throw into the mix as the Cleveland and Razr Hawk were the drivers that I hit the best at Demo Day's at Carl's Golfland here in Michigan. G15's have been the best I have hit though, so the Cleveland and Cally both have a lot of work to do to get past them.

Just got word the build is done...THE HAWK FLIES TONIGHT!

Hawk_Head_TalonGame.jpg

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='Brando5105' timestamp='1301071550' post='3087439']
Great Review Robo. I am currently testing a Razr 8.5 73X Whiteboard VS my G15 7.5 Rip 70X and I hope that my G15 doesnt get blown away. We will see monday
[/quote]

Wow, some of you guys on this site are using serious stuff. I feel totally inadequate with my 10.5 regular flex driver.........

To be honest. As much as I hate to say this, I think I've maxed out my potential on driving the golf ball. Consistently, I'm every bit as long, if not longer, with my FT9 Tour / Motore Speeder VC 7.1 than either that Octane Tour or the Razr Hawk Tour. Mind you, the Razr Hawk Tour may be a tad more workable, as is the Octane Tour, but oh my, who needs workability when the FT9 Tour just hits the ball SO SO straight.

I'd like to get a hold of an Razr Hawk I-mix 9.5 to put on my Motore Speeder VC 7.1 and see if there's any magic to be had.

I just did a Cally demo day yesterday, and the RHT was far and away better for my swing than the Octane Tour by several hundred RPMs, in ball speed, and distance (5-10 yards on average). I was spinning the Octane way too much. I used to play the FT9 Tour, which was the best performing driver for my swing that I've ever used, but it broke, so I won't be able to compare it with the RHT other than just seeing over time if I end up in the same, better or worse spots distance and accuracy wise on my home course.

Quick note ... I HAVE TO SAY IN ALL FAIRNESS !!!

On the R11 - I yanked the 9003 (still LOVE that shaft - don't read anything into that) - and stuck in a Project X 7A3. I figured the difference between the 2 is spin. The 11 is much better for me with the PX - but I still "like" the RHT just a lil bit more - and its still a little bit longer ;). I haven't given up yet. But the RHT has the firepower title for me.

and again .. They are both AWESOME sticks. I just "like" the RHT better - so its personal bias. NOTHING wrong with either !!!

More comparisons to come ;)

At the range last night I was killing it with the RHT 9.5 Stiff Rip. The club is for real and a beast.
Attached the impact tape to show how well the shaft works with the head. I was up to 107 SS which is
unreal for me. I have to make a few fine adjustments getting the t height right. I always lost my drives right and even with the open face I have no problems. Actually open face works for me, I can go at it as hard as I want and have no fear of ever loosing it left.
I also have a D2 8.5 F3 stiff that I hit for the first time last night. These two drivers will be fighting for the spot in my bag.... Great feeling to know I have 2 sticks I can hit the crap out of!

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

It's finally warmed up and I'm so glad that I haven't given up on this combo yet. I took my ft 9 Tour out yesterday and sliced the hell out of it too, so it wasn't the driver. So today took it on the back nine and boomed it!! Whoa. This drive is long and straight. LONG and I haven't driven the ball this straight in a while. There was literally NO movement on a couple of my tee shots. Callaway has a GREAT driver here.

Well I might have to agree with Robopti on this one

Had a chance to go hit a 8.5 x-stiff RIP and it was a rocket. Ballspeed at least 5mph faster than R11, 910D3, and couple other drivers.
Numbers were optimal which was reflected by the 15-20yd additional carry.
But I'm usually just not a numbers guy cause the flight and trajectory has to fit my eye. And the flight was perfect. The flight when it apex, it just seems to go.

Everybody relax, I’m here

For those who have used both how does the RHT compare to the FT Tour? I had the FT and really liked it, easy to work both ways and had a nice mid-high trajectory... but when my swing went off mid season I was all over the place with it so had to sell it on and find something a little more forgiving. Really liking the looks of the RHT but the FT can be had for around £100 now so if it's not a huge improvement I may well just pick up another FT instead.

[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1301678330' post='3109816']
For those who have used both how does the RHT compare to the FT Tour? I had the FT and really liked it, easy to work both ways and had a nice mid-high trajectory... but when my swing went off mid season I was all over the place with it so had to sell it on and find something a little more forgiving. Really liking the looks of the RHT but the FT can be had for around £100 now so if it's not a huge improvement I may well just pick up another FT instead.
[/quote]

From what everyone has told me, the RHT is essentially a more forgiving, easier to hit FT Tour. Perfect.

Got to hit mine today for the first time....WOW...SuperTri on the BST soon...