2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon Dunes!!!

kidcardio

Visited golfer's paradise last week
Had the pleasure of visiting Bandon Dunes last week. It was my first "all-guys" golf trip. 4 days, 3 nights. 6 rounds of golf. To sum up the trip in one word...magical.
Travel wasn't too bad. Based out of Orange County, we had a flight to SF, then about a 2 hour layover followed by a puddle-jumper to North Bend. It's just a short drive (30-40 minutes) to the resort from the small airport.
The flight back dragged. There was a 3 hour layover in SF and we were all dead tired by that point.

Got to the resort around 2:30 and teed off on Pacific Dunes by 3 pm...what a layout. Couldn't completely pay attention to playing golf because of the scenery and views - was constantly snapping photos left and right. Highlight was on hole #4 - after taking a few gulps of the Fosters bought at the snack shack, proceeded to get on the green in regulation and curl in a 30 footer for the first birdie of the vacation. It was awesome.

It was forecast for rain (70 to 80% chance) the next three days, but guess what? We totally cashed in with awesome weather. It only rained at night. The days were sunny with temps in the 40s and 50s. Some wind of course - played Old Macdonald when the wind was howling at 30+ mph with gust probably 50-60 mph. Had a ton of sand in the ears from the wind.

Played all 4 courses. They were all in fantastic shape. My favorite was Pacific Dunes, then Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails. Old Mac was the least favorite (the windy conditions may have had something to do with it).

Decided against using a caddie for the trip. Some of the guys did have caddies. I have no regrets as I had a blast and scored decently on some rounds - I play to a 5 index. Shot 85 and 78 on Pacific Dunes. 78 and 88 on Bandon Dunes. 84 on Bandon Trails and 98 on Old Mac. Definitely had major tightness and soreness in the calves from walking the 36+ we played daily. Took me 5 days to recover.

Check out the pictures if you want to see Bandon Dunes from my perspective: Bandon Dunes Photos.

I can't wait to get back someday. But now the question is - what resort or cluster of golf courses in the US can top Bandon Dunes????

Thanks for reading,
Dave

Pacific Dunes #2 on a sunny morning - absolutely gorgeous!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9.0 Aldila Rogue 130msi 70X

Cobra F7 Diamana Blueboard 80X

Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Callaway RAZR X Tour 21 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Mizuno MP-64 4-PW KBS PGI 100

Fourteen 53 and 59 wedges DG S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34 inches/Odyssey Stroke Lab 7S 34 inches

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hane a look at the owner's of bd new property being developed www.cabotlinks.com or .ca not sure

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

In the US, no collection of public courses can top Bandon. If you include private, maybe if you play all the exclusive courses out on Long Island, and probably if you tossed Cypress in with the courses at Pebble that would be as good. Scotland certainly can match it.

Glad you had a great time on your visit to Oregon.

I think Bandon is now #1 on my realistic golf bucket list. Great pics!

I just got back from Pinehurst and I gotta say I was very impressed with the collection of courses there, however there is something about the ocean views that make Bandon very special looking, glad you had a great time.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Bandon is wonderful
Old Mac greens need to mature but cant because of all of the play
Its not a must, but if you can, take a caddy. Ask for Scott Curry, hes a real good caddy. He can double bag it and will be in front of you all day long. Knows the yardages and greens.
Since the caddies are still getting Old Mac down, he'll bring his own range finder and scope the yardages then will give you advice.

If you can get there early(ier) hit the par 3 course at the practice facility. Its honor system, goes to kids fund, but playing the holes, chipping, putting, hitting golf shots gets you acclimated to grounds and shots needed.

But Bandon is a wonderful place. We're lucky to have a place this side of the pond

BTW, Bandon Dunes #5 is no where near the hole it use to be. they cut down all the gorse and it plays much easier. Before it was like a tunnel shoot to the green. Still a tough hole.

Everybody relax, I’m here

I'm jealous. A group of my friends are doing this trip in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I am unable to go as we are doing Pinehurst a few months from now. Great pic!

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

I have done Pacific Dunes and it was incredible. I would love to stay there with some buddies for 3-4 days. I can just imagine what a party that would be!!

I don't think there is a better resort. It is a golf mecca.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Thanks to all for the kind words. I couldn't think of a place in the US that could top Bandon Dunes. It's the whole experience starting the with great layouts. The golf courses speak for themselves, but then you add the resort which is icing on the cake. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. One night we played poker - the resort hooked one of the rooms up with a table and chairs - it was awesome. The service you get at the resort makes the golf even sweeter. I guess I hit the pinnacle with my first golf trip...all down hill from here! It's been a week and I still daydream about Bandon Dunes...

I just got back from Bandon Dunes on Monday. I drove my VW Westy down there from Calgary (16 hours). It was an awesome adventure and a time I'll never forget. I golfed all 4 courses and learned so much about golf and about how to play the game (the way it was meant to be!). Best experience ever!

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

Kohler is great from friend's experiences, but even with caddie BD is the best value! $220 in high season and senson 18 is $110 and if you have light left anything else is free![quote name='jjbee614' timestamp='1303311634' post='3170558']
Being in Wisconsin, I am kind of partial to the Kohler courses (Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits, each with two courses), but I have heard that the Bandon Dunes experience is a must for any serious golfer. Sounds like you had a great time and played some great golf!
[/quote]

[quote name='kidcardio' timestamp='1303355241' post='3172712']
Thanks to all for the kind words. I couldn't think of a place in the US that could top Bandon Dunes. It's the whole experience starting the with great layouts. The golf courses speak for themselves, but then you add the resort which is icing on the cake. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. One night we played poker - the resort hooked one of the rooms up with a table and chairs - it was awesome. The service you get at the resort makes the golf even sweeter. I guess I hit the pinnacle with my first golf trip...all down hill from here! It's been a week and I still daydream about Bandon Dunes...
[/quote]

Our club has a package-deal trip down there from the Portland area every year. This year was first weekend in March, Sat, Sun, Mon golf at Bandon Dunes, Old MacDonald, Pacific Dunes. My regular golf partner, his son, and I drove down to Florence on Friday AM to play Sandpines.

Sandpines is a very nice public course. But that day, wow. The wind was howling, then it started raining sideways. Temp in the 40s. Rain felt like hail as it splatted into my face while trying to hit a shot. Speaking as a true southerner, the rain felt like hail, too, if you will pardon my pun. After 10 holes we were drenched, whipped, beaten into submission. We were thinking, what have we signed into down in Bandon for the next three days? Are we nuts?

Our three days in Bandon were fantastic weather. But our caddy told us that the previous weekend, the course was covered with snow; all courses closed. That's the Oregon Coast for you. A crapshoot weather-wise. And as an Oregonian (transplanted), I have to note that the weatherman gets it wrong most of the time, so what the heck.

I will sign up for the Bandon golf trip again next year, even though I know it could be snowed out, could be blowing 60mph and raining, or even could be nice and sunny and mild breezes and 55 degrees.

KidCardio (David): Thank you so much for your photos. I have downloaded quite a few of them for use as wallpaper from time to time. You even have good shots of PD #4 where I was proud to make a par (by putting with my 21 degree hybrid from a long way away from the flag - I think it was from off the green, but who knows?).

[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1303422829' post='3174757']
[quote name='kidcardio' timestamp='1303355241' post='3172712']
[/quote]

Our club has a package-deal trip down there from the Portland area every year. This year was first weekend in March, Sat, Sun, Mon golf at Bandon Dunes, Old MacDonald, Pacific Dunes. My regular golf partner, his son, and I drove down to Florence on Friday AM to play Sandpines.

Sandpines is a very nice public course. But that day, wow. The wind was howling, then it started raining sideways. Temp in the 40s. Rain felt like hail as it splatted into my face while trying to hit a shot. Speaking as a true southerner, the rain felt like hail, too, if you will pardon my pun. After 10 holes we were drenched, whipped, beaten into submission. We were thinking, what have we signed into down in Bandon for the next three days? Are we nuts?

Our three days in Bandon were fantastic weather. But our caddy told us that the previous weekend, the course was covered with snow; all courses closed. That's the Oregon Coast for you. A crapshoot weather-wise. And as an Oregonian (transplanted), I have to note that the weatherman gets it wrong most of the time, so what the heck.

I will sign up for the Bandon golf trip again next year, even though I know it could be snowed out, could be blowing 60mph and raining, or even could be nice and sunny and mild breezes and 55 degrees.

KidCardio (David): Thank you so much for your photos. I have downloaded quite a few of them for use as wallpaper from time to time. You even have good shots of PD #4 where I was proud to make a par (by putting with my 21 degree hybrid from a long way away from the flag - I think it was from off the green, but who knows?).
[/quote]

Thanks Hank. I would go back in a heart beat. It's a special place for the golf enthusiast.

WOW! great pics and review.

One question for you since you just finished- I am heading there for a 3 day golf blowout this summer. Which courses would you replay (I am planning on doing 36 at least 2 if not all 3 days)? I have tentatively booked a round on all 4 plus a replay on Old Mac. Reviews are all over the place on the favorite course (thread under NW golf in the Travel section), and I am having trouble deciding.

[quote name='brownm' timestamp='1303469662' post='3176003']

One question for you since you just finished- I am heading there for a 3 day golf blowout this summer. Which courses would you replay (I am planning on doing 36 at least 2 if not all 3 days)? I have tentatively booked a round on all 4 plus a replay on Old Mac. Reviews are all over the place on the favorite course (thread under NW golf in the Travel section), and I am having trouble deciding.
[/quote]

Without a doubt, my personal favorite is Pacific Dunes. I would replay Pacific Dunes. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either replaying Pacific Dunes or Bandon Dunes.

[quote name='kidcardio' timestamp='1303493211' post='3176773']
[quote name='brownm' timestamp='1303469662' post='3176003']

[/quote]

Without a doubt, my personal favorite is Pacific Dunes. I would replay Pacific Dunes. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either replaying Pacific Dunes or Bandon Dunes.
[/quote]

Agree, I would replay either Pacific or Bandon Dunes.....its a toss up. Both are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Portland for work and I was planning on driving down a few hours. It won't be with my friends, so I'll just be playing on a Saturday and driving back to Portland the same day.

For those of you that have played, is getting a caddie the "end-all-be all" of the experience? I know the original poster didn't get a caddie. How do you know the distances to the hazards, etc. My Sky Caddie doesn't map Bandon due to the course (them wanting you to get a caddie).

Will a yardage book show distances to hazards and be sufficient? I want to have a memorable time, but I honestly would rather by a souvenir, shirt, etc. than pay $100 for a caddie...lol

Thanks,
e

[quote name='erwintrace08' timestamp='1304636462' post='3211030']
[b]My Sky Caddie doesn't map Bandon due to the course (them wanting you to get a caddie).[/b]

[/quote]

Wow, I thought I already had some reasons to dislike SkyCaddie - that is crazy! My uPro Go had no problem mapping the courses at Bandon via satellite images and I was perfectly happy with the yardages.

I played Pacific as a single and one of the guys in the threesome I was paired up with had a caddie. She must have been fairly new, because her yardages were WAY off and her advice on the greens was pretty poor. This is not a slam on the caddie system at Bandon because I know that they have some truly excellent caddies. I personally would carry my own bag and make my own decisions because that is what I am used to.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1