SkyCaddie annual fees

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand the complaining about annual subscription fees. The fee gives us all updates, a great site to keep track of stats, trends and analysis. Sure it would be nice if there was not recurring subscription fees. But I bought my skycaddie fully aware of this fact, as I am sure 99% of skycaddie owners did also. If you don't want to pay the fee, and have updated maps, you have the option to map your own, or buy a different product.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

Like [b]@MSchad[/b] - I don't understand all the complaining regarding Skycaddie subscription fee's... you're paying a subscription to access the internet, one for your cell phone, and who know how many in other areas. Some are even paying for Golfwrx. I will say, they accumulate and grow costly, so we have to prioritize value.

I see my Skycaddie subscription as being a time and score saver. I am heading to the desert in a few weeks; just downloaded 15 courses too play. Now, I will be able to play them like their my regulars, so the 1600 Professional laser will do light duty. That said, once UPro gets the bugs worked out, I might switch to one... who knows.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I'm using the Bushnell Neo+. A no frills device, but does all I need. No annual fees and includes 16k courses. Hope I get around to playing them all. ;)

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Skycaddie 2.5 user here. I think the fee is a non-issue for me really. This is easily one of the better golf purchases I've made compared to all the failed club experiments...lol. Been with them for 2 years now and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Like others have stated, $30 isn't much. Less than the cost of a lesson, less than the cost of a round, less than a box of premium balls, etc. Make a sandwich and eat out 1 or 2 times less and you've got it covered. And really, if you're playing golf and you can't afford $30, then you probably shouldn't be playing golf....JMHO.

[quote name='Elite_Digger' timestamp='1304012670' post='3193604']
Skycaddie 2.5 user here. I think the fee is a non-issue for me really. This is easily one of the better golf purchases I've made compared to all the failed club experiments...lol. Been with them for 2 years now and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Like others have stated, $30 isn't much. Less than the cost of a lesson, less than the cost of a round, less than a box of premium balls, etc. Make a sandwich and eat out 1 or 2 times less and you've got it covered. And really, if you're playing golf and you can't afford $30, then you probably shouldn't be playing golf....JMHO.
[/quote]

For me, and probably many others, it's more a matter of principle about paying for something that others sell for much less (or in some cases free). It's also not really $30, but $60 with skycaddie because no one else has the archaic tiered membership plan like skycaddie. $60/year is simply too far out of reason compared to others.

It makes no sense to me that someone would shell out $60/year to keep the same courses on their GPS? The fact that skycaddie can deactivate your maps when your membership lapses is infuriating. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for support and updates, but once something is on my device I should own it, otherwise I'll find someone else to do business with.

My prediction is that competition will force skycaddie to become more competitive on their membership fee.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1304083206' post='3195730']
[quote name='Elite_Digger' timestamp='1304012670' post='3193604']
[/quote]

For me, and probably many others, it's more a matter of principle about paying for something that others sell for much less (or in some cases free). It's also not really $30, but $60 with skycaddie because no one else has the archaic tiered membership plan like skycaddie. $60/year is simply too far out of reason compared to others.

It makes no sense to me that someone would shell out $60/year to keep the same courses on their GPS? The fact that skycaddie can deactivate your maps when your membership lapses is infuriating. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for support and updates, but once something is on my device I should own it, otherwise I'll find someone else to do business with.

My prediction is that competition will force skycaddie to become more competitive on their membership fee.
[/quote]
Show me 1 thing involving golf where it isn't overpriced. I was just thumbing through the latest tgw.com (the golf warehouse) catalogue and came across some collapsible reading glasses that have the Callaway name on them for $49.99, well I just purchased the same [u]exact [/u]pair from walgreens and paid $17 for them.

They'll keep charging for the service because Sky caddie is the best golf GPS offering. Their intelligreen feature blows everything else out of the water, GPA wise. Whem I play tournaments or new courses, being able to move the pointer around the screen to find the distances to back right, back left, front right, etc.

[quote name='MSchad' timestamp='1304000666' post='3193017']
I do not understand the complaining about annual subscription fees. The fee gives us all updates, a great site to keep track of stats, trends and analysis. Sure it would be nice if there was not recurring subscription fees. But I bought my skycaddie fully aware of this fact, as I am sure 99% of skycaddie owners did also. If you don't want to pay the fee, and have updated maps, you have the option to map your own, or buy a different product.
[/quote]

Exactly. Well said.

Titleist TSi2 10
Titleist 917F 16.5 
Titleist 917F 21 
Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 
Titleist Vokey SM7 52 
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 
Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen first hand a Skycaddie vs another make (no fees) and have seen differences of up to 15 yrds for distances to the middle of the green. This is pretty huge.

I have a 2.5 and although I miss my Nikon Laser range finder, I cannot fault the 2.5 for accuracy. I am sure you can get very accurate distances from a satalite map, but surely it all depends on the person that is analysing the data. For some low cost units, I imagine that they want to map as many courses in a short amount of time to make it appear that the consumer is getting value for money, but is accuracy then compromised for speed?

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

I tried the GoldLogix on my Blackberry switch and it sucks compared to the Skycaddie SG4 I have. I tried it last year and forgetting that I couldnt even get through a round without my battery getting eaten up, it took too long to get the info and wasnt nearly as accurate as the SC. I'm back to paying "$20 a year more" but for a much better product.

Well add me to the list of those that just renewed. I agree it's hard to justify with free apps out there, but I know my SG4 inside & out. It's fast, accurate, never one problem in 4-5 years. Every year I say this is the year I get a new one and every year I renew. Guess I need it to break or lose it or something.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='the_saint_siwa' timestamp='1303318657' post='3170897']
Here is my personal opinion. Once again, it's my personal opinion. Golf is an expensive game. I own an SG2.5 as well. The way I see it, $30 per year = $2.50 per month. Divide that amount by 30 days, it equals to roughly 8.4 cent per day. I paid roughly $47 per round on the weekend. I'm not a member on any course. Yeah, I'm poor but I think I can afford $2.50 per month.

I mean guys, economy is tough but cmon, how much you spend on your lunch alone per day? How much you spend on your clubs/bag? When was the last time you tip $2.50 assuming dinner for two in the restaurant? I hope you tip more than that. My point is don't be too cheap :drinks:

Steve
[/quote]

have to agree with this. It's like $30, which isn't even a good drunk at a bar, clubhouse or from the cart babe. I do like the intelligreen, too. My buddy just got an MX, which is really nice unit under 200...you buy Pro mode courses (built in are like SG5 distances to all hazards) for about 3 each/avg....but you get to keep them. You can spend like 70 once and get all the Pro mode courses you want. Not for the money, but for the technology, thinking bye bye SCG

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Just over two years ago I renewed my Skycaddie membership for $129 for three years. Since I renewed, I have played 53 different courses. With uPro to get the pro level data that gives me almost the same thing I get now (but less accurate), I would have had to pay $159 and I still have just under a year left before my renewal. So there is plenty of time for that amount to increase. Also when I go on a trip and not sure what I am going to play, I can download all of the courses in an area, so I am ready for any course. Can't do that with uPro without it costing more money.

I think I will stick with Skycaddie and pay the membership fee.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1306793314' post='3273150']
Just over two years ago I renewed my Skycaddie membership for $129 for three years. Since I renewed, I have played 53 different courses. With uPro to get the pro level data that gives me almost the same thing I get now (but less accurate), I would have had to pay $159 and I still have just under a year left before my renewal. So there is plenty of time for that amount to increase. Also when I go on a trip and not sure what I am going to play, I can download all of the courses in an area, so I am ready for any course. Can't do that with uPro without it costing more money.

[/quote]

Why do you say the uPro is less accurate?

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1306844341' post='3274442']

[/quote]

[/quote]

uPro maps the courses using pictures and math formulas. Skycaddie maps the courses walkiing the course using a GPS backpack that is accurate to less than a meter. So uPro will be close most of the time but it can be off by enough to make a difference in club selection. Skycaddie yardages are spot on all of the time.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1306846858' post='3274520']

[/quote]

[/quote]

uPro maps the courses using pictures and math formulas. Skycaddie maps the courses walkiing the course using a GPS backpack that is accurate to less than a meter. So uPro will be close most of the time but it can be off by enough to make a difference in club selection. Skycaddie yardages are spot on all of the time.
[/quote]

I have a Upro and my buddy has a sky caddie and we play together all the time and always compare distances from the same point, over hundreds of times and they have always been within one yard of each other, just saying.....

[quote name='dukeblue3233' timestamp='1306883162' post='3275899']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1306846858' post='3274520']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have a Upro and my buddy has a sky caddie and we play together all the time and always compare distances from the same point, over hundreds of times and they have always been within one yard of each other, just saying.....
[/quote]

As I said most of the time they are close. I have seen people compare their GPS yardages to my Skycaddie and next time I see them, they returned their GPS for a Skycaddie. So I have seen a significant difference on some courses. Also many times when the course is mapped by Skycaddie, the pro will give target spots to hit to that will give the best approach to the green. You cannot get that from a photo. Here in North Georgia that means having a flat lie vs. an uphill, downhill, or sidehill lie.

Callaway Chrome Soft

When I was looking for a GPS a few years back (2008), there were fewer options than now. There was basically just the Sky Caddie and the Golf Buddy, both were the same price and I probably would have bought the Sky Caddie if they had thrown in the 1st year with the purchase, they didn't and I went with the Golf Buddy. The Golf Buddy is pretty accurate I play with others who laser targets and use a SGX and we are almost always within 2 yards. If something is off I mark it myself.

So basically the yearly fee turned me off from buying it.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

SKG has built a decent rep with decent devices and services. Their annual pricing model will be tested even more as devices prove to give similar readings with 1-5 yards.

I've always found it amazing that the annual pricing model works since 1) they don't map every course every year and probably don't need to and 2) the cost of one-time/no fee gps and a laser compares favorably after just a year or two (yes, I know that means two devices, but if the reading's a bit off, the laser can give confirmation).

All GPS devices use some algorithms to correct for satellite information. That's what matters most. Satellites, do not give 100% accuracy (to within 1 yard/meter) ever except for military/gov't use. Commercial use requires a "close but not exact" reading, and then GPS makers apply their algorithms for correction. Bottomline, good algorithms can make satellite-mapped info pretty darn close to backpack-mapped info.

I'm glad there are choices now because that's what's made golf GPS mature so quickly. The day we end up with just one or two dominiting the market will be when things start to retract away from good for the consumer.

I'd bet SKG considers different/lower annual fees and making it up through more expensive devices. Will look a lot like how the auto GPS market looks now. It's basically the same model.

I had the orginal for SC for several years and upgraded a couple of years ago. I never really give it too much thought on the renewal fee, just pay the $50 and forget about it. But, when you do stop to think about it, it can get frustrating to constantly hear about all the units that don't have a membership fee. But if you've laid out the money for the unit in the intial investment, it doesn't make much sense to not renew.

I've also seen recently (and this is one single course), one of our regulars in our men's league group has a sonocaddie. Everytime he reads a distance and then we compare it to my SC, he shows nine yards longer. Every time. I've confirmed my distance with my Bushnell, so I know mine is right.

This may be an isolated incident, or just at this particular course, but how much would that mess up your game to be off by nine yards on every approach shot?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1306936489' post='3277164']
I had the orginal for SC for several years and upgraded a couple of years ago. I never really give it too much thought on the renewal fee, just pay the $50 and forget about it. But, when you do stop to think about it, it can get frustrating to constantly hear about all the units that don't have a membership fee. But if you've laid out the money for the unit in the intial investment, it doesn't make much sense to not renew.

I've also seen recently (and this is one single course), one of our regulars in our men's league group has a sonocaddie. Everytime he reads a distance and then we compare it to my SC, he shows nine yards longer. Every time. I've confirmed my distance with my Bushnell, so I know mine is right.

This may be an isolated incident, or just at this particular course, but how much would that mess up your game to be off by nine yards on every approach shot?
[/quote]

I've done a pretty comprehensive comparison between four different GPS units on courses around NY and Canada. Between Golf Guru, Skycaddie, uPro and OnPar, they almost always were within a yard or two across hundreds of holes. I don't think I ever saw a difference of more than 3-4 yard,s and that was rare. I don't know anyone with Sonocaddie, so I can't attest to that one.

I just renewed after letting my SG5 subscription expire. I got a golf buddy (free) from a friend and used it for a month. My golf partner has the SG 2.5 and we compared distances over a few hundred holes. Both were within 3-4 yards but the golf buddy pro took 20-30 seconds to settle into the distance the SG 2.5 had within 3-4 seconds. My main complaint with my SG5 is downloading only 20 courses at a time AND how long it takes to complete..... anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to download. It sure ain't my internet connection. Do you all use the CaddieSync desktop or website to update?

When did SGX hit the market and when is the next model coming out?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993