Ping G20 Driver

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size="3"]I have never hit a ball while looking at the bottom of a club. I see a lot of post making judgment on a club that is not being shown from address. I could care less what it looks like from the bottom, I will hold off judgment until I see it at address. My guess it will resemble the G15 and I would be very ok with that, Ping has put some of the best drivers/woods on the market in recent years the G15 is at icon status. [/size]

[quote name='phil.b89' timestamp='1307503292' post='3291838']
Seriously guys... that is exactly what custom fitting does- tightening up dispersion with a swing you can repeat. Advantage of custom fitting is that you actually get a trained guy doing it... rather than yourself. These guys are experienced and know what they are doing.
[/quote]

I got fitted for a new set of irons a couple of weeks ago. The guy had been doing fitting for Ping for 35 years!!!

I wasn't aware the ol' custom fitting thing had been around that long (although maybe back in those days, it was simply deciding shaft length and lie color codes).

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307503931' post='3291864']
Seriously guys... that is exactly what custom fitting does- tightening up dispersion with a swing you can repeat. Advantage of custom fitting is that you actually get a trained guy doing it... rather than yourself. These guys are experienced and know what they are doing.
[/quote]

Custom fitting is a loose term my man. They will throw you on a trackman and put the 'right" shaft in it for ya. But they aren't moving around the COG, they aren't adding or taking off weight, they aren't bending that thing open 2* or upright or flat. [b]So what you call custom fitting I call a mickey mouse heres your shaft have a nice day.[/b] I'd rather use that club in the real world on the course and be able to adjust based on actual playing conditions not a range at a demo day where I'm pounding 20 drivers in a row or trackman inside a golf galaxy.

Bottom line is Ping failed here. They have officially fallen behind the times in a very bad way. I mean heck they even started to offer forged answer irons, why do you think that was?
[/quote]

LOL made my day, couldn't be more true.

[quote name='billysandy' timestamp='1307533354' post='3292256']
[/quote]

Custom fitting is a loose term my man. They will throw you on a trackman and put the 'right" shaft in it for ya. But they aren't moving around the COG, they aren't adding or taking off weight, they aren't bending that thing open 2* or upright or flat. [b]So what you call custom fitting I call a mickey mouse heres your shaft have a nice day.[/b] I'd rather use that club in the real world on the course and be able to adjust based on actual playing conditions not a range at a demo day where I'm pounding 20 drivers in a row or trackman inside a golf galaxy.

Bottom line is Ping failed here. They have officially fallen behind the times in a very bad way. I mean heck they even started to offer forged answer irons, why do you think that was?
[/quote]

LOL made my day, couldn't be more true.
[/quote]

It's sad but true, I like Ping a lot., my dad has played his eye 2's for the last 20 years and they look brand new haha. ANd I have a G10 and G2 that I love. I hope they turn it around and realize things have to move forward. Ping is to golf like peanut butter is to jelly.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1307506579' post='3291954']
[/quote]

absolutely true, but when the average joe hits a rut in their swing they can change the driver to compensate and enjoy their round without having to fork up dough and buy a new driver...having said that I doubt I will ever own an adjustable driver unless it has a Ping logo on it
[/quote]
+1

This! Ping has made some of the longest drivers I've ever hit. But I'm enjoying the fact where I can change the flight of my driver by changing the weights. Or if I'm playing a course where I need to hit it higher or a wide open course where I want it to run like a deer. Or even where I'm coming across in my swing on the range and I can close it up a bit and go play. I'm sure it will be good, but after getting fit for my R11, I don't see me changing anytime soon.

But I understand about the brand loyalty. I'll play whatever works. Heck, I'm already scheming to get a second set of irons (probably Ping again).

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Changing shafts is nice, but I'm not really a fan of the adjustable look. I like the clean appearance, and I don't need any adjustability to fit my swing! I like the look of it - saw it from GPP today on Twitter.

why would anyone not want to be able to customize their driver for their swing just like they do with their irons loft lie and weight? Makes no sense as EVERY pga pro on tour has their drivers tweaked, bent, hotmelted opened, closed ect.. to their specs.

While I play an adjustable driver, I understand why many don't. The way I see it is that the driver is used more for distance than accuracy, whereas irons (especially short irons and wedges) are used more for accuracy than distance. I think most agree that irons are scoring clubs whereas the driver isn't. Therefore "dialing in" the irons is more critical to many than being able to get the minor tweaks afforded by an adjustable driver.

Most of the factors affecting ball flight in a driver can be changed with loft and shaft adjustments and don't necessarily require face angle or lie angle adjustments.

Kevin

I'm a real traditionalist when it comes to clubs, and nothing against the adjustable clubs, but I'm also pretty cheap when it comes to buying - only one club isn't from ebay.

In all honesty, I have a stock L/L/L swing - I'm 5'11 and the standard 1* flat Mizzys compared to the industry works well enough for me. I like a driver that's about 9.5* and a degree open, and don't need any adjustability as I play a slight draw to slight fade, depending on the hole.

Adjustability is an absolutely phenomenal thing, but I won't look into it until I can surely afford it. I stick with equipment for a while - heck, I've played my Cleveland Launcher 400 (essentially a smaller version of a 909D3) for 7 YEARS. I know that makes alot of you cringe. busted2.gif

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[/quote]

Most of these so called custom fitting guys that work at retail stores or have their little shack out back don't know squat about fitting golfers into the right head/shaft combo. First of all their launch monitors are extremely screwed and erroneous. Sad thing is, the fitter at my local golfsmith is a teenage kid who goes to college. I've talked to him a few times and he doesn't know the difference between an open faced driver or a closed one. A buddy of mine and Will are the only 2 people I trust to fit me. Nothing beats years of experience and fitting on a trackman or flightscope on an outdoor range or course. Of couse it helps that my buddy has fit touring pros years ago and has also played the PGA tour for part of a season. As for the G20, it doesn't look like it's improved a bit from the G15.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[/quote]
Here is the problem...If you shoot 90 you don't have a swing that is EVER repeatable. That is who Ping is after. Not all the +4 handicaps that post here.

adjustable drivers are awesome for the general public. not everyone can afford to spend 900 dollars on a driver with custom shafts and fittings on an outdoor trackman. seems stupid to me. id rather buy an adjustable one when you can reshaft it whenever you want and open it, close it, adjust the weight etc. all for free and instantly!

my swing has changed a bit over the passed year and ive had to get some different drivers to maximize my results. if i had to get custom fit everytime, id quit the game by now.

[/quote]

You are saying that they failed, but you have yet to hit the club. In fact no one, except maybe a few prototype testers, have hit the thing yet. How in the world can you possibly come up with the conclusion that they have failed?

Maybe they failed to offer what YOU want, and maybe they failed to offer something that satisfies whatever segment of the market that wants an adjustable driver. But the simple truth is that the VAST majority of golfers out there aren't WRXers. The VAST majority of golfers spend ZERO time on the internet looking up golf info. The VAST majority of golfers wouldn't know the first thing about how to configure an adjustable club. The VAST majority of golfers want to show up to the golf course 20 minutes before their tee time, maybe get loose on the range, then tee it up on the #1 tee box - they aren't going to spend time fiddling with their golf clubs.

To say they have failed before the clubs have even hit the market is laughable and narrow-minded.

[quote name='whatever' timestamp='1307553462' post='3292839']
[/quote]

You are saying that they failed, but you have yet to hit the club yet. In fact no one, except maybe a few prototype testers, have hit the thing yet. How in the world can you possibly come up with the conclusion that they have failed?

Maybe they failed to offer what YOU want, and maybe they failed to offer something that satisfies whatever segment of the market that wants an adjustable driver. But the simple truth is that the VAST majority of golfers out there aren't WRXers. The VAST majority of golfers spend ZERO time on the internet looking up golf info. The VAST majority of golfers wouldn't know the first thing about how to configure an adjustable club. The VAST majority of golfers want to show up to the golf course 20 minutes before their tee time, maybe get loose on the range, then tee it up on the #1 tee box - they aren't going to spend time fiddling with their golf clubs.

To say they have failed before the clubs have even hit the market is laughable and narrow-minded.
[/quote]

What's laughable is your comprehension of what I was saying. Everyone but you seemed to get it. :russian_roulette: If i have a G10 why buy the G20, I mean the COR (distance) is the same? Unless they used Zolex from the Hammer (POOOOOOWWWWWWWWW) what improvements have they made? With my last driver I changed because adjustability, it made a huge difference in accuracy for me.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Iam3' timestamp='1307553771' post='3292853']
Looks like it should be sold at Wal-mart
[/quote]
I wouldn't go THAT far... :cheesy:

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307553850' post='3292862']
[/quote]

You are saying that they failed, but you have yet to hit the club yet. In fact no one, except maybe a few prototype testers, have hit the thing yet. How in the world can you possibly come up with the conclusion that they have failed?

[/quote]

What's laughable is your comprehension of what I was saying. Everyone but you seemed to get it. :russian_roulette: If i have a G10 why buy the G20, I mean the COR (distance) is the same? Unless they used Zolex from the Hammer (POOOOOOWWWWWWWWW) what improvements have they made? With my last driver I changed because adjustability, it made a huge difference in accuracy for me.
[/quote]

If you're going to change based solely on COR, why did you ever even have the G10? The G2 had the same COR as G10? Clubs usually get incrementally better. Weighting gets shifted around, forgiveness gets better, ball speeds increase, etc. That's why companies constantly produce new product lines.

What you are saying is simple - you are projecting your wants/needs in a driver to the masses (i.e. "I switched becuase of adjustability therefore everyone else will want to switch for that reason too") - looks like my comprehension was spot on.

Ping (or any successful company for that matter) will bring a product to market only if they believe it will sell well for them. The G2 was a game changer for them. Then they came out with the G5. People raved. Then the G10. People opened their wallets. The G15 hit the market. Babies cried because it was so good. Why in the world do you think the G20 will be any different?

Again, just because YOU want adjustability, and changed clubs because of it, doesn't mean that's the right answer for the overall market. You reprsent one segment of the market. The majority of folks out there don't necessarily want or need the adjustability, or don't make their decisions based solely on the adjustability. The lack of adjustability on it's face, does not mean the G20 is a failure.

[quote name='whatever' timestamp='1307558554' post='3293066']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307553850' post='3292862']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you're going to change based solely on COR, why did you ever even have the G10? The G2 had the same COR as G10? Clubs usually get incrementally better. Weighting gets shifted around, forgiveness gets better, ball speeds increase, etc. That's why companies constantly produce new product lines.

What you are saying is simple - you are projecting your wants/needs in a driver to the masses (i.e. "I switched becuase of adjustability therefore everyone else will want to switch for that reason too") - looks like my comprehension was spot on.

Ping (or any successful company for that matter) will bring a product to market only if they believe it will sell well for them. The G2 was a game changer for them. Then they came out with the G5. People raved. Then the G10. People opened their wallets. The G15 hit the market. Babies cried because it was so good. Why in the world do you think the G20 will be any different?

Again, just because YOU want adjustability, and changed clubs because of it, doesn't mean that's the right answer for the overall market. You reprsent one segment of the market. The majority of folks out there don't necessarily want or need the adjustability, or don't make their decisions based solely on the adjustability. The lack of adjustability on it's face, does not mean the G20 is a failure.
[/quote]

Had the G10 then bought a tour issued G2 that was cranked open more and hotmelted and it was night and day. I guess you could say it was "adjusted":rolleyes:

And if you think "I" want adjustability your right, an apparently the overwhelming majority of golfers do as well hence the Taylormade driver and fairway wood sales skyrocketing in the last 5 years. You can think what you want but YOUR the minority man. Hell look at the pga tour, they can have these clubs bent any which way and even they are almost all adjustable.

You are right about one thing in that people vote with their dollars. Sad thing is I like Ping and people are going to see this driver as a half hearted attempt to take more money out of their pocket.

Also I'm not saying if it's not adjustable it won't work, what I am saying is you end up changing your swing based around each new club you buy instead of the other way around. Plus swings change over the course of time, ever wonder why that trusty driver stops working? Well your swing has changed and if you cant make adjustments it's off to ebay or a golf shop to drop another $400.

Edel PROTO

I'm excited about this driver. A bit better than the G15 - count me in! The look is a bit subtle which I think is causing many of the "meh" responses, it's somewhere between boring and classy. I'll add that the graphics on the bottom of the driver don't mean a thing once you tee up.

Interesting that Ping is going heavier with this offering while most others are going lighter. I'm down with heavier as well.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

from that angle it looks to have a touch of offset to me .

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

[quote name='madaboutgolf' timestamp='1307561321' post='3293197']
from that angle it looks to have a touch of offset to me .
[/quote]
Probably. It's made for the masses. It will probably sit square to 0.5 to 1.0 closed. Probably more on the closed side.

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1307560204' post='3293143']
I'm excited about this driver. A bit better than the G15 - count me in! The look is a bit subtle which I think is causing many of the "meh" responses, it's somewhere between boring and classy. I'll add that the graphics on the bottom of the driver don't mean a thing once you tee up.

Interesting that Ping is going heavier with this offering while most others are going lighter. I'm down with heavier as well.
[/quote]

I'd like to know how that looks Subtle. The only thing Subtle about that is that it isn't Ricky Fowler-colored. It looks like a video game on the underside, much like the irons, wedges and now new line of putter seem too. I'm really disappointed with Ping's latest designs cosmetically. That doesn't change the fact that they may or may not be great clubs and products, but honestly, they look like they are all J-spec/Japanese market clubs now, and I hate that.

Ping used to be all about doing their own thing, and using cheeky colors and designs that differentiated them from everyone else. It was basic, functional and pleasing to the eye. Now I am starting to get the feeling that the company is getting way to corporatized and is losing Karsten's original concept of design, at least in spirit.

That's just me, and I'm a young guy. I don't mind playing black, or sleek looking clubs, etc. but this just looks silly to me.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Timeline of a Ping release

1) Pictures start to make their way around.

2) People claim it's ugly and doesn't look as good as their xxxx (which itself was decried as ugly when it was released). Ping is doomed. After all they have a long history of making beautiful rather than functional products.

3) People claim it's nothing new, does not look not much different than their yyyy so must perform the same. Ping is becoming irrelevant and doesn't innovate.

4) Product is released. A few people say it doesn't look as bad in person as the photos. Maybe they'll hit it.

5) People hit them. A number are smitten. But many eschew the version for the masses, the player's version is where it's at.

6) Touring pro wins using the mass market model. OK, it's not so a hacker club after all -- provided you get it through WRX with the same shaft the pro used last week.

7) Club gets Hot List and ClubTest kudos (because Ping is a big advertiser no doubt).

8) Ping sells a bunch.

9) The club attains status as a classic. This happens right around the time pictures of the [i][b]next[/b][/i] product start making the rounds.

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307559827' post='3293126']
apparently the overwhelming majority of golfers do as well hence [b]the Taylormade driver and fairway wood sales skyrocketing in the last 5 years.[/b]
[/quote]

Is that why TM offers the Burner series?

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G430 5w (Tour 2.0 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

[/quote]
Much rather have adjustments made by the fitter and get me the best shaft for me...then play with a glued model. I like it, can't wait.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I don't care what it looks like, if it's even possible to improve on the G15 it will be in my bag.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra