2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G20 Driver

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307503931' post='3291864']
[quote name='phil.b89' timestamp='1307503292' post='3291838']
Seriously guys... that is exactly what custom fitting does- tightening up dispersion with a swing you can repeat. Advantage of custom fitting is that you actually get a trained guy doing it... rather than yourself. These guys are experienced and know what they are doing.
[/quote]

Custom fitting is a loose term my man. They will throw you on a trackman and put the 'right" shaft in it for ya. But they aren't moving around the COG, they aren't adding or taking off weight, they aren't bending that thing open 2* or upright or flat. So what you call custom fitting I call a mickey mouse heres your shaft have a nice day. I'd rather use that club in the real world on the course and be able to adjust based on actual playing conditions not a range at a demo day where I'm pounding 20 drivers in a row or trackman inside a golf galaxy.

Bottom line is Ping failed here. They have officially fallen behind the times in a very bad way. I mean heck they even started to offer forged answer irons, why do you think that was?
[/quote]

Well, that's your opinion. There are thousands of others. Ping introduced the forged Anser to better compete in those markets where consumers prefer forged over cast clubs. Seems like a smart idea to me.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a current G15 owner, and a fully satisfied one at that, I like what they are doing with this club making it even more forgiving. I ordered mine in December of '09 and have not thought about getting rid of it.

While I do like the idea of having an adjustable driver, it is not a pre-requisite for me, clearly. Proper fitting will also get you better results - not only the shaft, but loft/lie also. Heck, my fitter worked on a friend's Rapture V2 by tweaking his loft and lie and he is now bombing that thing.

I would be interested to hear from the guys that went to the Kingdom AND owned R11 drivers before hand how close their adjustments/fittings were to the Kingdom's.

Also, I am not one that cares what the bottom of the club says or looks like. As long as it looks good from address and performs, I'm game.

Thanks for posting the pic, whether you were the first or not.

But it is and will always only be...a picture. I am enjoying the debate about what it might be like or why Ping doesn't do something many others do, etc. Some people will buy it no matter what. Some people will only buy it if Westwood bags it. I guess the only way to know is to find a range and test it.

(But it sure would be cool in a second darker tour edition with a slightly open and adjustable head with coutless shaft options and a headcover that doesn't resemble a convenience store countertop trash can.)

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

[quote name='statmagic' timestamp='1307565768' post='3293416']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307503931' post='3291864']
[quote name='phil.b89' timestamp='1307503292' post='3291838']
Seriously guys... that is exactly what custom fitting does- tightening up dispersion with a swing you can repeat. Advantage of custom fitting is that you actually get a trained guy doing it... rather than yourself. These guys are experienced and know what they are doing.
[/quote]

Custom fitting is a loose term my man. They will throw you on a trackman and put the 'right" shaft in it for ya. But they aren't moving around the COG, they aren't adding or taking off weight, they aren't bending that thing open 2* or upright or flat. So what you call custom fitting I call a mickey mouse heres your shaft have a nice day. I'd rather use that club in the real world on the course and be able to adjust based on actual playing conditions not a range at a demo day where I'm pounding 20 drivers in a row or trackman inside a golf galaxy.

Bottom line is Ping failed here. They have officially fallen behind the times in a very bad way. I mean heck they even started to offer forged answer irons, why do you think that was?
[/quote]

Well, that's your opinion. There are thousands of others. Ping introduced the forged Anser to better compete in those markets where consumers prefer forged over cast clubs. Seems like a smart idea to me.
[/quote]

I agree the anser forged irons were a good idea just like it would be a good idea to offer an adjustable driver.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Anser forged irons are great on their own, it's their price tag that makes them a bad product imo.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1307598820' post='3294557']
Anser forged irons are great on their own, it's their price tag that makes them a bad product imo.
[/quote]

yep, but when you don't make a lot of a certain product the cost is usually high. I would be absolutely blown away if Ping doesn't come out with an adjustable driver in the next year or so possibly with the I series.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Can i have one: 10.5, Ahina X, 44.5, D2, with Iomic X Grip PLLLEEEEASE! People saying that this is ugly? Ping always builds good looking heads and great performing equipment. Their R&D is as good as any on the market. Every club I ever picked up of theirs is super solid and feels like it is built like a Bentley. I think Tiger could benefit from a real Driver! Could you imagine him ripping a G20 with DI8x :)

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1307564123' post='3293332']
Timeline of a Ping release

1) Pictures start to make their way around.

2) People claim it's ugly and doesn't look as good as their xxxx (which itself was decried as ugly when it was released). Ping is doomed. After all they have a long history of making beautiful rather than functional products.

3) People claim it's nothing new, does not look not much different than their yyyy so must perform the same. Ping is becoming irrelevant and doesn't innovate.

4) Product is released. A few people say it doesn't look as bad in person as the photos. Maybe they'll hit it.

5) People hit them. A number are smitten. But many eschew the version for the masses, the player's version is where it's at.

6) Touring pro wins using the mass market model. OK, it's not so a hacker club after all -- provided you get it through WRX with the same shaft the pro used last week.

7) Club gets Hot List and ClubTest kudos (because Ping is a big advertiser no doubt).

8) Ping sells a bunch.

9) The club attains status as a classic. This happens right around the time pictures of the [i][b]next[/b][/i] product start making the rounds.
[/quote]

Probably one of my favourite posts ever. Thanks for debunking the Ping myth. Quality products all the time with lots of distribution. Ugly never stays ugly when you're hitting it long and straight.

TM M3 9.5 PX HZRDS Yellow 6.0
Cobra F8+ 3 wood PX LZ Handcrafted 6.0
TM M1 5 wood PX HZRDS Red 6.0
Adams V3 23 degree Attas 85 gram
Adams 9031 26 degree C-Taper Stiff
TM RocketBladez 6-9 PX LZ 5.5
Cleveland 588 Special PW 49 degree
Fourteen LE 52 degree
Scratch Custom 56 degree
Fourteen MGrind 60 degree
MannKrafted Custom Blade

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1307623694' post='3294818']
[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1307598820' post='3294557']
[/quote]

yep, but when you don't make a lot of a certain product the cost is usually high. I would be absolutely blown away if Ping doesn't come out with an adjustable driver in the next year or so possibly with the I series.
[/quote]

From what I hear, the anser series irons are meant to compete on the Japanese market and were released in the US also.

I (like many others) have wondered if there will be an Anser Driver/fairway/hybrid series.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

Underrated post
[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1307564123' post='3293332']
Timeline of a Ping release

1) Pictures start to make their way around.
2) People claim it's ugly and doesn't look as good as their xxxx (which itself was decried as ugly when it was released). Ping is doomed. After all they have a long history of making beautiful rather than functional products.
3) People claim it's nothing new, does not look not much different than their yyyy so must perform the same. Ping is becoming irrelevant and doesn't innovate.
4) Product is released. A few people say it doesn't look as bad in person as the photos. Maybe they'll hit it.
5) People hit them. A number are smitten. But many eschew the version for the masses, the player's version is where it's at.
6) Touring pro wins using the mass market model. OK, it's not so a hacker club after all -- provided you get it through WRX with the same shaft the pro used last week.
7) Club gets Hot List and ClubTest kudos (because Ping is a big advertiser no doubt).
8) Ping sells a bunch.
9) The club attains status as a classic. This happens right around the time pictures of the [i][b]next[/b][/i] product start making the rounds.
[/quote]

I'm excited about this driver. A bit better than the G15 - count me in! The look is a bit subtle which I think is causing many of the "meh" responses, it's somewhere between boring and classy. I'll add that the graphics on the bottom of the driver don't mean a thing once you tee up.

Interesting that Ping is going heavier with this offering while most others are going lighter. I'm down with heavier as well.

I'd like to know how that looks Subtle. The only thing Subtle about that is that it isn't Ricky Fowler-colored. It looks like a video game on the underside, much like the irons, wedges and now new line of putter seem too. I'm really disappointed with Ping's latest designs cosmetically. That doesn't change the fact that they may or may not be great clubs and products, but honestly, they look like they are all J-spec/Japanese market clubs now, and I hate that.

Ping used to be all about doing their own thing, and using cheeky colors and designs that differentiated them from everyone else. It was basic, functional and pleasing to the eye. Now I am starting to get the feeling that the company is getting way to corporatized and is losing Karsten's original concept of design, at least in spirit.

That's just me, and I'm a young guy. I don't mind playing black, or sleek looking clubs, etc. but this just looks silly to me.

Hmmm, to each his own I guess. The Ping stock logo, the G20 logo (which is a bit modern) and a minimalistic color scheme - seems pretty mild compared to other major offerings:

Cobra_S3_Driver_LG.jpg

adams-speedline-f11-driver-1.jpg

Callaway_Diablo%20Octane%20Driver.png

And of course:

TaylorMade%20R11%20Driver%202.jpg

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='eddie_max' timestamp='1307628179' post='3294993']
Is it even possible to improve on the G15?
[/quote]
In a word ........ [i][b]yes[/b][/i].

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

You are saying that they failed, but you have yet to hit the club. In fact no one, except maybe a few prototype testers, have hit the thing yet. How in the world can you possibly come up with the conclusion that they have failed?

Maybe they failed to offer what YOU want, and maybe they failed to offer something that satisfies whatever segment of the market that wants an adjustable driver. But the simple truth is that the VAST majority of golfers out there aren't WRXers. The VAST majority of golfers spend ZERO time on the internet looking up golf info. The VAST majority of golfers wouldn't know the first thing about how to configure an adjustable club. The VAST majority of golfers want to show up to the golf course 20 minutes before their tee time, maybe get loose on the range, then tee it up on the #1 tee box - they aren't going to spend time fiddling with their golf clubs.

To say they have failed before the clubs have even hit the market is laughable and narrow-minded.

Sarcasm Captain Obvious. ok.gif

[quote name='Zaphod1' timestamp='1307645248' post='3295810']
G20 Driver is in the bag for Westwood this week at St.Jude.
[/quote]

I thought so - was watching him hit his driver not long ago, and it definitely looked a little different. I could only assume it was indeed the G20.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Sounds like the i20 line isn't done. But it won't be coming this fall like the G20 irons and woods and hybrids, forged anser wedges, and maybe the precision milled anser putters. Rather the dealers have been told the i20 line (irons and woods) will be refreshed/new next spring. A good idea giving ping something new for the spring instead of only bringing out stuff in the fall..

At the end of the day, if it feels right when address,then it's ok for me. Ping is easy to hit, bomber , great sound and reasonable price for me. What do u expect more from a driver??? Just a personal opinion. JUST ENJOY THE GAME!!! If don't like it, don't even bother to try it out please!!!

I would prefer removable weight at the sole so that u can use the same length with about the same swing weight rather than adjusting the hosel. You can get a new shaft or used at the price of just the adaptor itself and dont mention the weight around 10 grams wasted over there instead of placing that weight at the sole.

Well, it's just an idea from a 15 handicaps. Just stick to what you like. There are millions golfers around the world which Ping helps them to ENJOY theirs games.

[quote name='tpariff' timestamp='1307674346' post='3297116']
[quote name='Tango-Golf' timestamp='1307652263' post='3296221']
Any pictures of the G20 in action?
[/quote]

Here's the photo I took last night:

[attachment=800730:Westwood G20 Driver.jpg]
[/quote]

Nice work. Interesting that Lee skipped the G15 completely but seems to be adopting the G20 (at least for now).

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

I'm a form following function kind of guy which seems to be a Ping thing (up until recently). Despite the designs on the bottom, it's still not decorated on the crown with funky designs or some off-beat color. I would totally bag it if it performed (and could be ordered with a lower loft and bent/shimmed open). It also doesn't hurt that it looks good.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

You are saying that they failed, but you have yet to hit the club. In fact no one, except maybe a few prototype testers, have hit the thing yet. How in the world can you possibly come up with the conclusion that they have failed?

Maybe they failed to offer what YOU want, and maybe they failed to offer something that satisfies whatever segment of the market that wants an adjustable driver. But the simple truth is that the VAST majority of golfers out there aren't WRXers. The VAST majority of golfers spend ZERO time on the internet looking up golf info. The VAST majority of golfers wouldn't know the first thing about how to configure an adjustable club. The VAST majority of golfers want to show up to the golf course 20 minutes before their tee time, maybe get loose on the range, then tee it up on the #1 tee box - they aren't going to spend time fiddling with their golf clubs.

To say they have failed before the clubs have even hit the market is laughable and narrow-minded.

Sarcasm Captain Obvious. ok.gif

+1000, I love some of these negative posts, I guess I missed the news that all drivers released in 2011 without a screw in shafts are automatic failures and go straight to the closeout bin at Golf Galaxy and GolfSmith.

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1307717196' post='3298007']
Nice work. Interesting that Lee skipped the G15 completely but seems to be adopting the G20 (at least for now).
[/quote]

IIRC, he did bag the G15 (and possibly the i15 irons) briefly, but went back to the 10s so probably best to wait a few weeks before drawing any conclusions. Obviously if we see it next week that's a fairly strong vote of confidence.

I am disappointed that there is no loft/lie adjustment, but I will quickly get over it if it ends up being better than anything else on the market. I like that they reduced the spin and made the head heavier. I am not a fan of the light drivers. I am really curious about the specs on the TFC 169D Tour shaft. Hopefully it is a low spin shaft with a nice stable tip.