Are rangefinders worth it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TGutHHSGolfer' timestamp='1314728287' post='3530346']
Hello again

I did end up buying a rangefinder.

My question is how to use it? Sometimes I cant get it steady enough and cant hit the flag and hit behind it. Any advice?
[/quote]

If you're riding, lean both elbows against the steering wheel for support. And tell your passenger to disembark the cart if he can't keep his a$$ still for 3 seconds. Or stand next to the front of the cart and lean against the B-Post (holds the windshield in place).

If you're walking, use your stand bag for support by kneeling and leaning a bit into your bag.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='TGutHHSGolfer' timestamp='1314728287' post='3530346']
Hello again

I did end up buying a rangefinder.

My question is how to use it? Sometimes I cant get it steady enough and cant hit the flag and hit behind it. Any advice?
[/quote]

Use two hands.

Drink less red bull.

[quote name='TGutHHSGolfer' timestamp='1313992223' post='3508720']
So I'm on the fence about buying a Rangefinder.

I have an Iphone and could just buy Golfshot GPS for 30$, but I am interested in being able to know exactly how far I am from the pin, but it is some serious extra $.

For those of you who have tried both, or just have a Rangefinder, should I buy the rangefinder or not? Pro's and Con's would be awesome!
[/quote]

1. How good are you at hitting your distance?

2. How big are the greens at the course/courses you play?

Benefits to a GPS - it's fast - it's a "moveable yardage plate" which is what most of us learned to play with. Most amateurs don't hit their distances as precisely as they think. Cons: if you play a course that isn't updated regularly; or not even in the databank of courses. Also if your greens are large - then you will need a pinsheet in order to be accurate...so now you have 2 things to consult before hitting your inaccurate shot. :) That's too much math IMO. Additionally whenever I play with someone using GPS I compare distances and you are right - to me a 5-10 yard distance difference is significant...it usually means I will be 5 or 10 yards even shorter when I mishit it. :)

Laser rangefinder is better all-around IMO - you just shoot the flag and no downloads or additional fees; and you don't need a pinsheet. Get a rangefinder with a big viewfinder - b/c while you look at the flag, you should also see where the pin is located on the green...in most cases you can tell where it is (front/middle/back). I find the laser is faster. Suggest the Bushnell 1500 (if you can find one on Ebay) or 1600 T/E. Nikon Monarch 800 is the same as the Callaway's but cheaper.

Which kind/model did you end up buying? I have a Bushnell V2 and if I'm shooting a flag with trees behind it I might sometimes pick up the trees instead of the flag. But you can simply hold the button down and scan across the flag and it will pick up the flag. The V2 has the "pinseeker" technology so you can just sort of scan it across the pin from side to side and it will pick it up the reflector and the number will change. You don't have to keep pushing the trigger button and shooting over and over again until you get it. Just hold it down and move the laser across the horizon and it will pick up the flag.

I love it because you are not just limited to pins. You can shoot the trees on a dogleg to determine how far it is to run out of room on your teee shot. You can shoot bunker faces to find out how far it is to reach or carry a trap. You can shoot the edges of water hazards. You can even just shoot an area of grass in a fairway to determine how far it is to advance your ball to that spot. It is also handy on the driving range where you can get an exact yardage to targets (granted they are range balls and won't fly the same distance as your regular balls but still)

If I have a front or back flag and want to also know the distance to the center of the green, I'll stand on a yardage marker and shoot the flag to determine the + or - of the pin position. Then I can do the math once I shoot the flag from my ball.

I used to have a GPS and found it quite handy. But I also found that the longer I stood there over my ball the more the numbers would change. It didn't seem to be updating as quickly as I was walking. Plus those annual fees will add up and if there's a cost to download courses to it than you have that additional cost too.

Lasers are going to be more accurate than a GPS. When they design courses and lay out yardage markers, they don't use a GPS. They use lasers.

I have both and i prefer the gps (have the older upro from callaway). I find it it's just faster and easier on me (carry, use, get info. real fast) than having to point and shoot at objects. I don't mind if the yardage is off by a few yards, as I'm not good enough (consistant to hit the given yardage or the direction) to fuzz about it.

I ended up buying a Nikon 550 Prostaff Laser rangefinder because it got great reviews when used for golf and there was a great deal at a local store.

It's kind of just randomly a couple times a round I just can't hit the flag. The rest of the round it is awesome and I've had some really tight shots lately because I know the exact distance.

Maybe everyone has this problem, or maybe I just need to get used to it or something..?

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1314729813' post='3530413']
While the GPS is OK, the laser is the way to go. This coming from someone who uses SkyDroid (battery DOES last the full round) and a Bushnell.

Note that the GPS is only as good as the mapping. SkyDroid offers the ability to map your own course through google maps, and I've discovered REALLY bad mappings. I always check a new course out on the website first, fix all the problems, then download it.
[/quote]

i was thinking of doing exactly the same thing you are doing. using the skydroid on my phone just as a general reference and then buying a RF to be more accurate. How do you like using both the skydorid and a RF?

I'm sure it depends largely on the brand and model but I've never -- and I mean never --- had a problem shooting a flag with my bushnell V2. When I first got it I was on a course with a hole that ran up the side of a mountain and from the tee box you could see several greens from other holes down below. I started shooting those flags just to test out the capability and I was able to pick up flags from 700-800 yards away. (The V2 is magnified so when you look through it it's like looking through binoculours, which makes it easier to shoot the flag. I know there are some models that are not mnagnified and thus more difficult to zero in on the flag).

I would recommend the bushnell V2 to anybody.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1314054593' post='3510793']
I have both....[b]the rangefinder is most helpful for me to practice. On the range, I can figure out exactly how far I hit different clubs, with different swings.[/b] On the course, both are about equally useful. My GPS gives me most of the relevant info, and [b]I can determine it all with my RF[/b]. If you plan on really improving, it is key that you know how far you hit the ball with each club, and that you can repeat that consistently.So if you have the $ laying around, a RF is a good idea.
[/quote]

Exactly.. great post.

I have had both, if you want to know how far it is to the hole + or - 1% you need a laser. If your ok with 120 front and 130 center and 140 back even though the green is 45 yards wide and the stick is in the 130 range far left making it 136, then the little GPS things are what you want. The GPS things are handy and it is one more gadget (who doesn't like gadgets), not to mention they can keep score and remind you to pick up bread on the way home from the course. I like my laser the only thing it can't tell me how far over a big mound, need to have line of sight. Hope this helps good luck.

rangefinders are nice, and they do the job. But honestly I really prefer my original UPro from Callaway. Gives you distances to front, middle and back obviously. But also includes distances to, and to carry bunkers and water. It also has a green view image that allows you to move the cursor to any spot on or around the green and gives you the distance to that spot. Can be had for a low price now too...

[quote name='Morgan' timestamp='1315215747' post='3542567']
Does wind affect the RF? I play at a course where it is very rarely still. I mean 30 days a year are windless! I'd say average wind would be between 5 and 10 mph. Does that wind speed affect the RF?

Morgan
[/quote]

Not at all, unless the winds blowing hard enough to bend light. :)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I have used two smartphone based GPS platforms and much prefer them over the RF. The first program I tried was NRange, and only stopped using it once I downloaded Swing to Swing. The Swing to Swing application actually allows you to have a google earth picture of the hole, and will allow you to drag a cursor to different spots to determine your location. I have put it up against my buddies range finder, and it is very accurate. The best part about it too is, it is a free app. So what are you out if you give it a whirl?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

• 4 weeks later...

I thought about a RF but ended up going with the Callaway upro GPS. For me, I wanted a small light device I could keep in my pocket. I do not want to waste time going to the cart or bag clip to get it. Also did not want to take a chance on forgetting it on the cart or have it fall out. I think a belt-clip would be cumbersome during a round.

The big pro on the RF is it is useful at the range also. The GPS though seems quicker to use on the course and provides more reliable haqzard diatances when there is nothing to sight with the RF, a quick read gets me the distance I need versus trying to sight it in each time. I think when I was trying to play quickly I would probably end up not checking the RF whereas I use the GPS nearly everytime. Also the GPS has the mark feature enabling measurement of shots esp the driver.

Also the upro does not have a yearly fee which is true of RF as well.

Golfshot GPS and a laser. Battery isn't an issue with IPhone 4. It was an issue with the IPhone 3GS.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

[quote name='Smpear' timestamp='1317404467' post='3608347']
I thought about a RF but ended up going with the Callaway upro GPS. For me, I wanted a small light device I could keep in my pocket. I do not want to waste time going to the cart or bag clip to get it. Also did not want to take a chance on forgetting it on the cart or have it fall out. I think a belt-clip would be cumbersome during a round.

The big pro on the RF is it is useful at the range also. The GPS though seems quicker to use on the course and provides more reliable haqzard diatances when there is nothing to sight with the RF, a quick read gets me the distance I need versus trying to sight it in each time. I think when I was trying to play quickly I would probably end up not checking the RF whereas I use the GPS nearly everytime. Also the GPS has the mark feature enabling measurement of shots esp the driver.

Also the upro does not have a yearly fee which is true of RF as well.
[/quote]

i felt the same way as you did for a while. for 2 years i used a GPS only...
just last month i bought a bushnell v2 used for under $200. Let me tell you something........Laser ALL THE WAY! wow, knowing exact distance to the hole is so helpful especially 150 yards and in. I started to realize my true iron distances.. i have a gps that i use on my phone that i keep on during the round, but i use it maybe 5 times a round at most. used the RF on almost all my approach shots.
i even used it to hit some trees at the edge of a dogleg..the top of a bunker, etc.

i do not trust any GPS systems anymore.
i tested 3 different gps apps on my smartphone, and i also had skycaddie sg5 (did not renew) at the time.
all 4 of them gave me different yardages ALL THE TIME.
my friend had a bushnell rangefinder, and my 3 apps and sg5 were all wrong by almost 10 yards, sometimes by 20 yards.
accuracy-wise, one of the smartphone apps was better than skycaddie sg5.
anything between 5 and 10 yards is a huge difference for me.

[quote name='tjumper78' timestamp='1317417170' post='3609263']
i tested 3 different gps apps on my smartphone, and i also had skycaddie sg5 (did not renew) at the time.
my friend had a bushnell rangefinder, and my 3 apps and sg5 were all wrong by almost 10 yards, sometimes by 20 yards.
[/quote]

Your results sure aren't typical. Comparing my Golf Guru GPS with 3 other GPS models on many courses, they fall within 0-3 yards of the markers 90%+ of the time, and I've never seen more than 5 yards.

Lasers aren't infallible either. Recently my friend lasered the flag of a par 3 and said 195 to the pin. I said somethings not right because my GPS says 172 to the center and 185 to the back.. Turns out he was standing on a tee box marker stone and hadn't noticed... it read 170. So the laser clearly hit something and there weren't trees behind this green. He remeasured and it was correct on the second try.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1317420630' post='3609441']
[/quote]

Your results sure aren't typical. Comparing my Golf Guru GPS with 3 other GPS models on many courses, they fall within 0-3 yards of the markers 90%+ of the time, and I've never seen more than 5 yards.

Lasers aren't infallible either. Recently my friend lasered the flag of a par 3 and said 195 to the pin. I said somethings not right because my GPS says 172 to the center and 185 to the back.. Turns out he was standing on a tee box marker stone and hadn't noticed... it read 170. So the laser clearly hit something and there weren't trees behind this green. He remeasured and it was correct on the second try.
[/quote]

I wonder if GPS accuracy isn't a very regional thing. I've done a fair amount of experimenting with GPS accuracy in south-central NC. If you have NEVER seen stuff vary more than 5 yards, then your experience is very different from mine. 5+ yard variations are not the norm by any means, but they most surely happen.

GPS is very rarely used in our area. I know a half dozen former GPS users, however. And they all say the same thing - 'readings are sometimes flakey'.

However it does seem that other people in other places have different experiences.

dave

ps. If it is regional then it is probably the accuracy of WAAS compensations in differing areas. The nearest WAAS station to us is somewhere in Georgia.

The best a GPS can do is +/- 5 yards. That's a 30 foot range of error and many low end units are outside of that. Its surprising to think they can even be that accurate when you think about the triangulation and amazing distances involved.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I used a rangefinder years ago, a bushnell and liked it a lot. They have advanced a lot since then with pinseeker technology but so has the cost. I tried the free golflogix gps and really like it so far, better than my old rangefinder for sure. I would say go for it if money is not an issue or you play courses that are in the sticks where you can't get a signal or other rural issue, otherwise at least try the app first, it's free so you can check it out then decide.

Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' timestamp='1317511236' post='3612937']
[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1317420630' post='3609441']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if GPS accuracy isn't a very regional thing. I've done a fair amount of experimenting with GPS accuracy in south-central NC. If you have NEVER seen stuff vary more than 5 yards, then your experience is very different from mine. 5+ yard variations are not the norm by any means, but they most surely happen.

GPS is very rarely used in our area. I know a half dozen former GPS users, however. And they all say the same thing - 'readings are sometimes flakey'.

However it does seem that other people in other places have different experiences.

dave

ps. If it is regional then it is probably the accuracy of WAAS compensations in differing areas. The nearest WAAS station to us is somewhere in Georgia.
[/quote]

Dave, there may be very local issues due to terrain or something else that impacts accuracy. I'm not positive but I think the waas spec requires +/- 7 meters, but in actual practice across the USA it's actually like 1.5 meters. Sure I think cheap receivers are part of the problem in some cases but I haven't seen that.

My experience with gps accuracy is on many courses in western new York, the Adirondack region of northern n.y., Niagara region of Ontario Canada and central Florida. My golf guru g2 is constantly 3 yards or better more than 90% of the time. When i've compared readings to my friends upro and sky caddie they are always with a couple yards of each other.

I will say that when I keep my gps clipped to my bag I tend to get more stable readings because the signal strength is always full bars. I have avoided clipping it to my belt or putting it in my pocket because my body seems to block some of the signal.

Like with all measuring devices, I always like to cross check with other information, whether it be a yardage stake or sprinkler head if within plain sight. If not, I trust my gps.