2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

2-man scramble last Sunday. Our competitors looked like they bought their clubs/bags at a flea market on the way to the course(no headcovers)........One guy had blades from the 80's.......The other had some cavities I'd never heard of (which doesn't mean much)..... They didn't beat us, but -5 with that equipment was impressive....Never judge, EVER!!.......LOL

One time a few years back I played a round with a set of clubs I bought for $2 a piece at thrift store.

Had some assorted old no name metal woods from the late 80s. A set of irons that broke down 3-5 Knock offs of the TM 360s and 6-9 of some old Ram Accubars. Had assorted wedges from 70s and 80s and a Northwestern Nancy Lopez putter.

This was at a time when I was shooting high 80s. Shot mid 90s with those clubs without being able to hit the woods at all and hating the putter. I really liked the Accubars.

AI Smoke Max 9 Tensei Blue 65S

2023 BRNR 11.5 Proforce M40X 65S

2024 Apex UW 19 MMT 70S

2024 Apex Pro 4-PW DG Mid 115 S300

RTX Full Face 54 60, Full Face 2 64 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

LAB DF3 34 69 Press Pistol 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Here is my bag...

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 9.5* (B,1) - Graphite Design AD-TP 7X

3 Wood: Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - Tensei Pro White Proto 80TX

Hybrid: Adams Super 9031 16* - Aerotech SteelFiber 110X

Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 20* - Aerotech SteelFiber 110X

Irons: Mizuno MP-15 - Nippon Modus Tour 130X

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 52* / 56* - Nippon Modus 130, Vokey TVD 60 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

Definitely a bag I'd respect if I saw it. I like this bag a lot. Good looking playable clubs. I would say that you're long but no DJ and that your strength is finding fairways and being precise and careful with formidable putter. I would also say you don't seem like a putter ho as it seems you make a lot with your gamer.

Here is my bag...

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 52* / 56* - Nippon Modus 130, Vokey TVD 60 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Definitely a bag I'd respect if I saw it. I like this bag a lot. Good looking playable clubs. I would say that you're long but no DJ and that your strength is finding fairways and being precise and careful with formidable putter. I would also say you don't seem like a putter ho as it seems you make a lot with your gamer.

Close, I am definitely a putter a putter ho, but this one does not come out of the bag often, and when it does it goes right back in rather quickly. I just like putters!!!

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

This has been an enjoyable thread to read through, roast me!

Driver: Ping G30 with Tour 65 (Regular) @ Neutral Loft setting

3 Wood: Cobra King LTD with Matrix Red Tie (Stiff) @ 14.5

5 Wood- Cobra Baffler with Matrix Red Tie (Stiff) @ 18.5

Mizuno MP-54 4-PW with Stiff KBS C-Taper Lite. Sometimes I swap the 4 Iron with a Ping g30 Hybrid

Wedges- Vokey SM5 50* F Grind, 56*(bent to 55*) M Grind, 60* K Grind

Putter- 2016 Scotty Newport 2

Ball- Kirkland Signature or Bridgestone B330RX

Bag- Sun Mountain C-130S

Perry does his research and knows what works for Perry. He also is quite aware that while new doesn't mean better, he is not afraid to try it and he is pretty certain he has finally found the right fairway woods but still dreams of the perfect driver. The search continues. Perry also is a bit set in his ways and not one to readily grant trust. The 54s are perfect for Perry and they aint going nowheres. He doesn't trust the new fangled irons. Perry suffers through the long 5 hour Kali rounds by focusing with intent upon the next shot and only the next shot. His concentration is the stuff of legend. Perrys taste in music changes with his mood and he is often caught listing to talk radio. Perry is not one to wager on the links and is a loyal friend.

Perry does his research and knows what works for Perry. He also is quite aware that while new doesn't mean better, he is not afraid to try it and he is pretty certain he has finally found the right fairway woods but still dreams of the perfect driver. The search continues. Perry also is a bit set in his ways and not one to readily grant trust. The 54s are perfect for Perry and they aint going nowheres. He doesn't trust the new fangled irons. Perry suffers through the long 5 hour Kali rounds by focusing with intent upon the next shot and only the next shot. His concentration is the stuff of legend. Perrys taste in music changes with his mood and he is often caught listing to talk radio. Perry is not one to wager on the links and is a loyal friend.

He also enjoys puppies and intermediately timed walks on the beach.

Bwahahahaha

Vapor FLY PRO 9.5 N Kuro Kage XT 70tx

913 FD Diamana B Series 80x (C3)

714 AP2 DG Tour Issue x100

Vokey SM4 50 DG x100, Callaway Mackdaddy PM Grind 60,56 (Bent to 55) DG Tour Issue s400

Nike Method 001

To me this setup screams that you are a long hitter who is very, very aggressive, maybe to the point of reckless. The Mackdaddy PM's, combined with the fact that MJ is your profile pic, suggest that you love to go for it. I bet you enjoy matchplay and enjoy trash talk/victory cigars even more!

Judge away guys:

King LTD Pro @9.5, Black Tie 75X

Fly-Z+ @14.5, Grafalloy Blue 75X

910F @19, Wishon S2S Black 85X

714AP2 (4-9), Project X 6.5

SM5 (48.10F, 52.08F, 56.10M, 60.07S), Project X 6.5

White Ice Mini-T (with a sizeable chunk of lead tape on the toe!)

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

I would think you are a well rounded player. You produce a lot of spin, and you have been forced to learn equipment that will allow you to play your game.

I think you pride and joy is the big dog, but you are special with the three wood in your hand.

Short game is solid enough. Some good ones and some that "have opportunities ".

Your putter will be buried with you. That lead tape job was done hap hazardly but it has been golden ever since.

I would say you are built like a Mack truck and under 6'. Extremely strong and athletic (former baseball player, third baseman).

You hit a lot of greens when you pull the three wood more often (weakness may be course managemt). It's not a huge flaw because you vary between a 1-5 cap.

Close?

I've reviewed some, but let's see what you guys think.

Cally big bertha alpha 816 dbd, rogue silver x

Cally razr mb 2 iron, project x 6.5

Cleveland cg tour, 4-9, s400

Titleist sm5, 48, 52, 56, x100

Cally pm grind, 64*, x100

Ping anser karsten

Pro v1, but recently I have been hitting the chrome soft.

I prefer sandals, but because of "rules", I wear the adidas grip more things... I WILL NOT wear socks though....

Gonna see what you guys think. 15 Clubs now so I need to play around and see what I want to drop.

Driver: TaylorMade R15 Driver 10.5 Degree, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.0 Stiff

3 Wood: TaylorMade SLDR S 15 Degree , Fujikura Speedster 65 Stiff

5 Wood: TaylorMade SLDR S 19 Degree , Fujikura Speedster 65 Stiff

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue 19 Degree, Fujikura Speeder 77 Evolution Graphite Stiff Flex

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 21 Degree, Reax SF 60 Graphite Regular Flex

5 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 24 Degree, Reax SF 60 Graphite Regular Flex

Irons: 6-PW: Spalding Molitor

Gap Wedge: TaylorMade 52 (ATV Grind)

Sand Wedge: Wilson Harmonized 56 (12 bounce)

Lob Wedge: Clevland 588 RTX 60 (12 bounce)

Putter: Ping Cadence TR B65

I would think you are a well rounded player. You produce a lot of spin, and you have been forced to learn equipment that will allow you to play your game.

I think you pride and joy is the big dog, but you are special with the three wood in your hand.

Your putter will be buried with you. That lead tape job was done hap hazardly but it has been golden ever since.

I would say you are built like a Mack truck and under 6'. Extremely strong and athletic (former baseball player, third baseman).

You hit a lot of greens when you pull the three wood more often (weakness may be course managemt). It's not a huge flaw because you vary between a 1-5 cap.

Close?

Completely right with the high spin characteristic and taking joy in hitting the big dog (maybe to my detriment). I actually tend to score my best/hit more greens (generally) when hitting more drivers. However, the three wood is often a good "equalizer" to bring the swing back when things are a little out of sync. You're also right about a decent, but unspectacular short game and having a putter that will be buried with me (no matter how bad my putting can get). Great guess on the haphazard tape job!! Very good guesses overall! Only thing you were wrong on is my build. While I am athletic, I push the scales at 160 pounds and have wrists that look like toothpicks. Currently play to a +1.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Gonna see what you guys think. 15 Clubs now so I need to play around and see what I want to drop.

Driver: TaylorMade R15 Driver 10.5 Degree, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.0 Stiff

3 Wood: TaylorMade SLDR S 15 Degree , Fujikura Speedster 65 Stiff

5 Wood: TaylorMade SLDR S 19 Degree , Fujikura Speedster 65 Stiff

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue 19 Degree, Fujikura Speeder 77 Evolution Graphite Stiff Flex

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 21 Degree, Reax SF 60 Graphite Regular Flex

5 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 24 Degree, Reax SF 60 Graphite Regular Flex

Irons: 6-PW: Spalding Molitor

Gap Wedge: TaylorMade 52 (ATV Grind)

Sand Wedge: Wilson Harmonized 56 (12 bounce)

Lob Wedge: Clevland 588 RTX 60 (12 bounce)

Putter: Ping Cadence TR B65

Close?

Completely right with the high spin characteristic and taking joy in hitting the big dog (maybe to my detriment). I actually tend to score my best/hit more greens (generally) when hitting more drivers. However, the three wood is often a good "equalizer" to bring the swing back when things are a little out of sync. You're also right about a decent, but unspectacular short game and having a putter that will be buried with me (no matter how bad my putting can get). Great guess on the haphazard tape job!! Very good guesses overall! Only thing you were wrong on is my build. While I am athletic, I push the scales at 160 pounds and have wrists that look like toothpicks. Currently play to a +1.

Lol, I had a mental picture in my mind.

Close but no cigar... we'll, not really that close.

I've reviewed some, but let's see what you guys think.

Cally big bertha alpha 816 dbd, rogue silver x

Cally razr mb 2 iron, project x 6.5

Cleveland cg tour, 4-9, s400

Titleist sm5, 48, 52, 56, x100

Cally pm grind, 64*, x100

Ping anser karsten

Pro v1, but recently I have been hitting the chrome soft.

I prefer sandals, but because of "rules", I wear the adidas grip more things... I WILL NOT wear socks though....

Solid bag, a golfer who prefers to play golf rather than golf swing, a dark horse of the golf course, you wander around a golf course taking in all the sights between shots, I'd say you get excited when you do get to hit a shot because you enjoy the challenge each shot presents, it's all about feel for you if you're not feeling it its's not in the bag.

Anywhere close?

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Pretty much.

People get on me for taking a simple 7i from the fairway and figuring out how to turn it into "a shot" (cut, draw, low, high). Obviously there are swing flaws, but my biggest weakness comes from "the dark passenger"; always saying, "this is perfect for that squeezed cut".

Results vary lol.

Needless to say.

Here is my bag...

Close, I am definitely a putter a putter ho, but this one does not come out of the bag often, and when it does it goes right back in rather quickly. I just like putters!!!

I am the exact same way. I have maybe 18 putters, but only 3 I will game with confidence and the one in my bag is the one I believe in over all others and rarely comes out for the other 3-4 I want to take for a spin. The rest are just practice green match play fodder with myself, I like to bring 4 putters and and in an hour or so I can get to a winner, if I have time or am really working I will even do the 3rd place battle.

Vokey SM4 50 DG x100, Callaway Mackdaddy PM Grind 60,56 (Bent to 55) DG Tour Issue s400

Nike Method 001

To me this setup screams that you are a long hitter who is very, very aggressive, maybe to the point of reckless. The Mackdaddy PM's, combined with the fact that MJ is your profile pic suggest that you love to go for it. I bet you enjoy matchplay and enjoy trash talk/victory cigars even more!

This is so bang on! Have we met? Or played golf together? Lol. Match play is my favourite format and I enjoy a little friendly banter. Well done sir. Who doesn't like a victory cigar am I right?

Judge away guys:

King LTD Pro @9.5, Black Tie 75X

Fly-Z+ @14.5, Grafalloy Blue 75X

910F @19, Wishon S2S Black 85X

714AP2 (4-9), Project X 6.5

SM5 (48.10F, 52.08F, 56.10M, 60.07S), Project X 6.5

White Ice Mini-T (with a sizeable chunk of lead tape on the toe!)

Taylormade Stealth 9

Ping G410 17.5

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20

Callaway Rogue Pro ST 23

Srixon ZX4 5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW

Titliest SM8 51, 56, 61

Nike 001

Titliest ProV1

Nike Method 001

Solid iron/wedge player. Would be tempted by newer woods, but then thinks he is ok with the fairways he gets with the Nike and the 913. Planning to update the wedges for next season.

You are right about some things. Iron and wedge play are stronger parts of my game. The wedges are new this past season so they aren't going anywhere. As for the woods, the 913 stays until the head cracks but the Nike might get bumped.

Taylormade Stealth 9

Ping G410 17.5

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20

Callaway Rogue Pro ST 23

Srixon ZX4 5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW

Titliest SM8 51, 56, 61

Nike 001

Titliest ProV1

OK, I'm your huckleberry.

R15 9.5* (-.75*) stock X-flex shaft

Callaway mini 1.5 14*, RIP Phenom Y-flex 44"

Adams mini pro 20* stock X-flex

Mizuno MP5 4-P +1"/up 1* DG x100's

TEE CB Pro S 50, 54, 60 +1/2" PX 6.5's

PXG Gunboat 36.5"

And to round out the complete lack of brand loyalty, a Ping 4-series stand bag & preference for v1x's.

Okay guys let me know

Titleist 915D3 Rouge 60G S - b2 setting

Titleist 915F 15 Rouge 80G S

Adams Pro Mini 20 Aldila’s Tour green S

712U 4 iron - KBS tour s

712AP2 5-P KBS tour S

SM6 52F,56M,60M DG S400

2016 scotty newport

ProV 1x

TS3 8.5 - evenflow white 6.5 
915F 15 - Rogue x
Titleist H2 21- tensi pro white 
712U 4i DG tour x100
718 ap2 5-PW DG tour x100
SM7 52F 56S 60M DG tour s400
Scotty Cameron special select 2 - 34 

• 2 weeks later...

Last year was one of the first years I played what worked best for me. I play to a 3 handicap. This was my bag last season

10.5 282 superquad 80x diamana w series

Vsteel 3wood 100 gram x Rombax

Vsteel 5wood with a 80gram shaft I tipped 3.5inches. No name on it

Mp33 3 and 4irons 2inches over length graphite

5-pw cobra s3 pro tour issued x100

2005 tvd 54 and 58 wedges

1999 Newport similar to the 1997 woods version.

All ancient gear but it worked well for me most people couldn't believe I used this old s*** when I have all the latest and greatest drivers and fairways.

I have updated to the m2 and m1 fairways this season. The superquad and 905r tour issued are my alternating gamers off the tee. I still prefer both of them over m1, m2, 816dbd.

All right boys give it to me straight great thread

Taylormade r510TP 9.5 (Fuji speeder 757 stiff)

Titleist 904F 17 (Fuji Speeder stiff)

Titleist 910H 21 (Diamana ahina stiff)

Titleist 690.MB 4-PW (S300)

Vokey SM4 (oil can 54.11, black nickel 60.7 wedge flex)

Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"

Titleist Lightweight carry/stand bag

Nike TW '14 white

Titleist Pro V

Titleist TS4 10.5 project x smoke 6.5
Taylormade m6 5 wood project x smoke 6.5
Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21degree)
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW s300
Titleist sm7 chrome (54, wedge flex)
Titleist sm5 raw (58, wedge flex)
Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Ball (donations found in the trees)
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

All right boys give it to me straight great thread

Taylormade r510TP 9.5 (Fuji speeder 757 stiff)

Titleist 904F 17 (Fuji Speeder stiff)

Titleist 910H 21 (Diamana ahina stiff)

Titleist 690.MB 4-PW (S300)

Vokey SM4 (oil can 54.11, black nickel 60.7 wedge flex)

Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"

Titleist Lightweight carry/stand bag

Nike TW '14 white

Titleist Pro V

I say you're a middle aged white male who play's a mid cap....maybe 12-14.

:D

Mizuno JPX 850 (8.5* w/ weight in mid flight and draw) - just replaced Cobra Fly Z

Taylormade Rocketballz 3 wood

Nike Covert 20* hybrid

Mizuno MP-25 4-PW (KBS C-Taper Stiff)

Vokey SM6 50*

Sand wedge from starter set (just hit it too well to take out)

Cleveland RTX 60*

2014 Scotty Newport 2

Bridgestone B-330 RXS

Kind of all over the place when I write it out lol