2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Presidents Cup 2011 Discussion Thread (merged)

8orBetter

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1321702049' post='3822059']
What a great ball striking day Tiger had, He had a makeable birdie put on almost every hole. To say that this guy is finished is absurd!
[/quote]
Tiger played great yesterday.

Obviously he didn`t have a good day on the greens and missed some very makable putts but he also hit a lot of very good long putts that just didn`t go in.
There is some luck involved in making long range putts that are missed way more often than not.
It takes skill to give the ball a chance at the high side of the hole with good speed but some days they just don`t seem to fall.

Tiger could have carried his team to a win with just a decent day on the greens but give the Koreans credit as they were both good.

I have never seen so many putts missed on the low side as in this President`s Cup.
The speed of the greens has a lot to do with this but still surprising to see.
It seemed like every one of DJ`s putts was low and had zero chance of going in.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='blade_man' timestamp='1321713986' post='3822327']
[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1321711500' post='3822251']
[quote name='blade_man' timestamp='1321707228' post='3822131']
I thought they were going to put Tiger in the anchor position! I mean hes played so WELL! ................NOT!
[/quote]

Fully expected Tiger near the end of the list. Put your guns out first !!!
Team U. S. should have their 5 points just after Tiger's ninth hole.
Tiger may not even need to play all that well, look for the U.S. to send
Norman's team packing pretty early !!
[/quote]

I agree with you but you may want some strong players near the end "Just in case", Tiger is not the man of 10 years ago or even 3 years ago. I'm pulling for him to make a comeback but the "pick" of him should have never happened.
[/quote]
Opinions on Captains picks are always in question, I believe that the U.S. needs to finish this quick !!!
There is no doubt in my mind, that if needed, Tiger and Stricker will step up, but I think the relevent crop
of younger talent can get the cup !!!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

@ 502 to Right- You have been saying that TW is done, he should not be on the team, etc... Your boy Badds is on fire, TW cannot make a putt. Time for you to put up, let’s make a friendly wager on the TW/ Badds match. If I lose I will pay via PayPal soon after the match is complete, you just reply and say that you are in, that’s how it works. $20 keep it friendly (or if you want to do more?).

This offer isn’t only for 502. Anyone else that is down, let me know.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321717320' post='3822475']
@ 502 to Right- You have been saying that TW is done, he should not be on the team, etc... Your boy Badds is on fire, TW cannot make a putt. Time for you to put up, let’s make a friendly wager on the TW/ Badds match. If I lose I will pay via PayPal soon after the match is complete, you just reply and say that you are in, that’s how it works. $20 keep it friendly (or if you want to do more?).

This offer isn’t only for 502. Anyone else that is down, let me know.
[/quote]

With the US up big, and these guys going out 2nd to last, you might have the possibility of a mutually agreed upon half once the american's clinch.

[quote name='TCreighton1973' timestamp='1321719528' post='3822567']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321717320' post='3822475']
@ 502 to Right- You have been saying that TW is done, he should not be on the team, etc... Your boy Badds is on fire, TW cannot make a putt. Time for you to put up, let's make a friendly wager on the TW/ Badds match. If I lose I will pay via PayPal soon after the match is complete, you just reply and say that you are in, that's how it works. $20 keep it friendly (or if you want to do more?).

This offer isn't only for 502. Anyone else that is down, let me know.
[/quote]

With the US up big, and these guys going out 2nd to last, you might have the possibility of a mutually agreed upon half once the american's clinch.
[/quote]

Not a chance in hell, unless they are tied and both have 4-5 footers on the last hole.

[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321719778' post='3822577']

Not a chance in hell, unless they are tied and both have 4-5 footers on the last hole.
[/quote]

Apparently you haven't watched too many of these events. It happens quite often when one team clinches early. If both players mutually agree, it's a done deal.

[quote name='TCreighton1973' timestamp='1321720527' post='3822617']

Apparently you haven't watched too many of these events. It happens quite often when one team clinches early. If both players mutually agree, it's a done deal.
[/quote]
Happens quite often?
What are some recent examples?

I am used to seeing professionals compete as hard as they can until their match is done.
They have a lot of pride and want to crush their opponents.
There is no way such a concession would take place just because the Cup is won unless they are on the last green.

Nicklaus giving Jacklin a missable putt for the tie was a very nice and rare event and I would be surprised to see Tiger doing that unless they both had similar putts.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321686190' post='3821881']
[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1321686073' post='3821871']
This post was fun to read up until this last page. Amazing how childish people can get with their post so quick :(
[/quote]
I have to think some of these posters are juvenile teens.
[/quote]

You'd think so, right. Sadly though, I think thats not the case.

I thought they were going to put Tiger in the anchor position! I mean hes played so WELL! ................NOT!
[/quote]

The geniu of the board never ceases to amaze......have you watched ANY of the matches?!? Tiger has, arguable, been one of the best golfers, tee to green the entire week. His putting has been lacking but if he had any semblance of a partner, the results would've been differnt.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1321723016' post='3822725']
This should be interesting (for me at least!):

[quote]MATCH 33 – Aaron Baddley, International vs Tiger Woods, U.S
[/quote]

They were paired together last week at the Australian Open and seemed to get along quite well.
[/quote]
So you down with my offer or do you not really believe what you preach? How about a sleeve or premium balls?

A few personal observations/opinions from this President's Cup (though not fully completed).

1. I think it really puts the International team at a disadvantage when you have to pair players who have trouble communicating. Els and Ishikawa for one example. You can't really crack a joke to loosen each other up like Bubba did to Simpson.

2. Adam Scott is by far the best Australian.

3. Australian golf is in for some down years. After Scott there is not much there. Day is way overrated and Baddley has never lived up to expectations. Baddley and Day just don't have the insides to be great. They both seem to have the choke gene. Day has blown some Sunday leads, and is never able to pull away when he is in the hunt, and Baddley has had some big time let downs in big situations.

4. American golf is in really, really good shape!! There may not be another Tiger in the group but there are quite a few guys who have what it takes to win majors, and a young major winner did not even make the team.

5. Ernie is done.

6. Dustin Johnson is overrated.

7. Not commenting about Tiger.

I agreee with most things However I dont think Ernie is done, and Dustin has potential to be great.[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1321728913' post='3822981']
A few personal observations/opinions from this President's Cup (though not fully completed).

1. I think it really puts the International team at a disadvantage when you have to pair players who have trouble communicating. Els and Ishikawa for one example. You can't really crack a joke to loosen each other up like Bubba did to Simpson.

3. Australian golf is in for some down years. After Scott there is not much there. Day is way overrated and Baddley has never lived up to expectations. Baddley and Day just don't have the insides to be great. They both seem to have the choke gene. Day has blown some Sunday leads, and is never able to pull away when he is in the hunt, and Baddley has had some big time let downs in big situations.

4. American golf is in really, really good shape!! There may not be another Tiger in the group but there are quite a few guys who have what it takes to win majors, and a young major winner did not even make the team.

5. Ernie is done.

[/quote]

[quote name='C. Spackler' timestamp='1321726622' post='3822881']
but if he had any semblance of a partner, the results would've been different.
[/quote]

can you give me the 6 numbers to the lottery please as you seem to know the future,

well i would like to see you lot win it USA that is then it might boost you lot up for the ryder cup and maybe give our top quality european team a run for there money this time,its getting a bit boring now :partytime2:

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1321730304' post='3823061']
but if he had any semblance of a partner, the results would've been different.
[/quote]

can you give me the 6 numbers to the lottery please as you seem to know the future,
[/quote]

Really, thats all you can add? Of course it it is. When you have nothing substantive to add, attack the poster, right.

[/quote]

The geniu of the board never ceases to amaze......have you watched ANY of the matches?!? Tiger has, arguable, been one of the best golfers, tee to green the entire week. His putting has been lacking but if he had any semblance of a partner, the results would've been differnt.
[/quote]

What?? So if hits every green in regulation, and two putts every green, he shoots even par. Correct? Doesn't matter if someone is one of the best golfers 'tee to green' during the week, only matters who gets it in the hole in the least amount of strokes. Putting is included in being a great golfer.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1321730097' post='3823049']
I agreee with most things However I dont think Ernie is done, and Dustin has potential to be great.[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1321728913' post='3822981']

5. Ernie is done.

[/quote]
[/quote]

just typical of our generation which is very "what have you done for me lately". Guys like Padraig and Phil didn't win majors until their 30's and Mickelson is in the hall of fame now.

How anyone can give up on Day or DJ is baffling to me. Johnson certainly has imploded a few times now on the big stage, but to his credit he always seems to bounce back, and he always looks confident on the course. And Day played well enough at Augusta and the US open this year to look like a real champion, he just got beat by a guy on a mission both times. How often does a guy close with 4 straight birdies at Augusta or beat the field by 8 shots in a US open?

both guys are in their mid 20's....i mean let's give it a little time

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1321730926' post='3823089']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What?? So if hits every green in regulation, and two putts every green, he shoots even par. Correct? Doesn't matter if someone is one of the best golfers 'tee to green' during the week, only matters who gets it in the hole in the least amount of strokes. Putting is included in being a great golfer.
[/quote]

You didn't answer his question. Have you been watching?

it is kind of funny to see people forgive Tiger for making nothing, i wonder if these same people forgave Phil Mickelson when he hit it great tee to green in majors only to miss 5-15 footers that could have been the difference. As others have said putting is part of the game. Even if his partners haven't been stellar i don't think Tiger will be happy with his play unless he's winning

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1321732038' post='3823141']
[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1321730926' post='3823089']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes I have watched a lot. Hit the ball great, has not scored well. 1 win, 3 losses. All I said was there is more to golf than ball striking.

You didn't answer his question. Have you been watching?
[/quote]

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1321728913' post='3822981']

[/quote]

Was thinking this yesterday. Keegan, Woodland, Brandt, Van Pelt, Fowler and maybe JB and Kim arent even on the team. Sure I missed some. I know Kim struggled as of late but if he could get back to the Kim at Valhalla, wow.

[quote name='jjd975' timestamp='1321733120' post='3823189']
Its pretty simple when it comes to Tiger. Guys who like him will defend to the end and guys that dont will hate till the end. Yes hes hit the ball very well this week and thats encouraging but if he cant put the ball in the hole none of it matters.
[/quote]

That's all I was trying to say.

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1321733297' post='3823197']
[quote name='jjd975' timestamp='1321733120' post='3823189']
Its pretty simple when it comes to Tiger. Guys who like him will defend to the end and guys that dont will hate till the end. Yes hes hit the ball very well this week and thats encouraging but if he cant put the ball in the hole none of it matters.
[/quote]

That's all I was trying to say.

[/quote]

I didnt see your last post. I do agree, and thats for any golfer.