Brands Gone Bye Bye

PKMillerJr

[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1332162161' post='4534859']
[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1332157436' post='4534611']
[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1332150561' post='4534461']
Adams
[/quote]

+50,000......lock it up. Sad sad day for high quality golf clubs that will now go the way of Hogan, Tommy Armour and Nickent!!!!
[/quote]

OK. What did I miss? Adams may be sold but why do you think they will be out of business?
[/quote]

Bc in their press release TM made it abundantly clear that Adams is a SGI/GI/Senior and womens brand. Basically they are going to steal (er...I mean use the technology they acquired) from Adams and roll it into TM products which they are gearing towards mid/low cappers. So whats left will be the throw away stuff. It won't be long before all the good stuff from Adams is a TM product. No high end products will be left to compete with the TM brand. Adams will be essentially reduced to a store brand like Tommy Armour (Sports Authority) and Nickent (Dicks).

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1332179823' post='4536741']

Bc in their press release TM made it abundantly clear that Adams is a SGI/GI/Senior and womens brand. Basically they are going to steal (er...I mean use the technology they acquired) from Adams and roll it into TM products which they are gearing towards mid/low cappers. So whats left will be the throw away stuff. It won't be long before all the good stuff from Adams is a TM product. No high end products will be left to compete with the TM brand. Adams will be essentially reduced to a store brand like Tommy Armour (Sports Authority) and Nickent (Dicks).
[/quote]

Well, I do not know if it will really be that bad, but TMAG's intentions certainly mean that this is the end of Adams as we know it. And it will be a brand that I will miss, so, it was fitting to post in this thread.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I miss the "Real" MacGregor. Don't even think that the Golfsmith version has anymore to do with what was MacGregor than Tommy Armour is at Sports Authority.

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

[quote name='mat562' timestamp='1325855779' post='4036607']
What happened to Cubic Balance?

They were just starting to look promising, knocking out some rather nice blades, in particular, and then they went the way of the dinosaurs in five minutes flat.

All very odd, as I don't recall Nick Price ever having any sort of contract with them.

If i remember with this brand, Calvin Peete and Scott Simpson were the two pro's that were endorsing this brand.
Cubic Balance, the driver had no grooves on the face and that would cause the ball to go straight.

Ping G20 TFC 169D Tour Stiff 9.5*
TM Vsteel Proforce V2 Stiff 15*
TM Vsteel Proforce V2 Stiff 18*
TM Tour Preferred MC 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey Spin Milled SM4 50*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line

Tommy Armour 845, man they were sweet irons, first clubs I ever broke 80 with. Interestingly enough, a guy who runs a small driving range in the area used to work from TA back in it's heyday. He maintains that their kiss of death was when they decided not to sign Jim Furyk as a staff player back in the day, who actually wanted to play for them, because his father worked for the company. They signed someone else, don't recall who, and it's all been down hill since.

man those original 845's were sweet though.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"

[quote name='Williams5203' timestamp='1332866541' post='4592042']
Tommy Armour 845, man they were sweet irons, first clubs I ever broke 80 with. Interestingly enough, a guy who runs a small driving range in the area used to work from TA back in it's heyday. He maintains that their kiss of death was when they decided not to sign Jim Furyk as a staff player back in the day, who actually wanted to play for them, because his father worked for the company. They signed someone else, don't recall who, and it's all been down hill since.

[/quote]

I wonder if the mystery staff player to which you refer was Jim Gallagher Jr.? He was a TA staffer who had a brief run of success and then flamed out, never to be heard from again.

The original 845s were very popular in their time (though I never liked the way they looked at address) but TA was completely unable to come up with a successor to them and most of their other lines were pretty bad. When the oversize club fad first hit they came out with the 855 irons, which were just awful, and the Great Scot driver, equally bad. They tried their hand with an apparel line, Mark Scot, which was also poor quality. I bought a TA putter at the time and after a while realized that the reason I suddenly wasn't making anything with it was because the head had twisted on the shaft and was loose. A bit later they started slapping the 845 brand on everything, stuff that bore no resemblance to the 845, and that was the kiss of death.

Is AJ Tech still around?

[size=2][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][color=#A4A4A4]What's In My Ping Hoofer?[/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]TaylorMade M3 TP 10.5 Diamana B60[/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]TaylorMade R11Ti 15/18.5/21 Diamana Kai'Li 80[/color]
[color=#a4a4a4]2013 Ping Anser 4-PW PXi 5.5 [/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]Ping Glide Forged 52/58 S300
Ping Half Wack-E 34"
Kirkland Signature Performance +[/color][/font][/size]

What sunk Tommy Armour was the Titanium Iron they named "the next big thing"

The next thing that happened is: they went bankrupt.

The 845 was a huge success while the follow up - the 855 was a disaster, followed by an even bigger disaster - the titanium iron.

A better question might be: How many brands have been profitable?

[quote name='Williams5203' timestamp='1332866541' post='4592042']

[/quote]

What sunk Tommy Armour was the Titanium Iron they named "the next big thing"

The next thing that happened is: they went bankrupt.

The 845 was a huge success while the follow up - the 855 was a disaster, followed by an even bigger disaster - the titanium iron.

A better question might be: How many brands have been profitable?

The t-100 come on, they were awesome! russian_roulette.gif

I actually know a guy that plays with these still, and he LOVES them, we try to get him to trade up and get some better clubs, but short of stolen or death he's sticking with them!

agreed, they made some horrendous marketing/design choices that aided to their demise.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1325370582' post='4010899']
[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1325364678' post='4010555']
The original Snake Eyes wedges were really nice. I remember they were like $229.00 which was outrageous for non-custom wedges at that time. If I remember they had a set of forged irons as well. Now owned by Golfsmith they have been relegated to components.

I can speak for Royal Collection as well. A friend of mine had the VS Tour driver and it was one of the best looking heads I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Oh man you just brought back some memories.

My best friend used to have a set of the Snake Eyes. We went inside to settle up after 18 - you know, figure out the betting, eat a quick bite, and have a cold frosty adult beverage.

When we came back out Mike's sand wedge was gone. He immediately saw that it was gone - it was always right in the front of his bag. We asked the cart guys about the bag and they said they didn't see anything. We went inside and the guy at the counter basically took Mike's info and said he would keep an eye out. Needless to say it never reappeared.

That was the very last time I ever left my bag unattended - I always either leave it in my trunk or someone in our group stays with them.

He definitely did not leave it on the course by the way because on the 17th he holed out using it from just off of the green. On the 18th he was GIR and never needed it.

Sad but true. Was a sort of a wake up call for all of us. Up until that point to be honest it never occurred to me that someone may steal a club - and that course is one of the nicer ones here in Florida. Definitely unexpected. And I had completely forgotten about that wedge until your post. (but did not forget my rule regarding not leaving the cart/bags unattended)
[/quote]

I lost both my Ping eye2 berillium PW and SW at The Grove like this years ago - it was in the days as a treat you got your clubs cleaned when you finished your round on a corporate day AND I know they were in the bag when I handed them over but not when I went to collect and of course The Grove (UK) denied any responsibility (like anyone would play without wedges). I got replacements but they were never the same and the set was broken; but maybe it was best because I'd probably be locked up for doing something with a 3 iron it wasn't designed for if I'd found the culprit!<br><br>my first set was Browning (an 'game improvers' set... ummm) nicely made though but I still use a Pinseeker putter with a scarlet grahite shaft; it turns a few heads anyway <br>I once wons a complete set of Yonix but when I tried to trade them the store said its like selling Aids, no one goes near them when they see the name....<br>

• 2 weeks later...

[size="7"]Hippo[/size], my first set of forged irons (first full set period) were Hippos, and i had the matching driver. I LOVED THEM! they were actually very nice, and forged irons for $300 brand new can't be beat!!! Not sure if they are still around, but i doubt they are any good anymore

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Ping33' timestamp='1325349084' post='4009627']
[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1325347291' post='4009539']
[b]Lynx[/b] golf used to be a real OEM at one time, too.
[/quote]

Lynx used to be hugely popular back in the day, and then they just went away... Ping was their largest competitor at the time if memory serves me right. Lynx made some very nice gear, and as a kid was way out of my price range.
[/quote]
I still have a poster of Freddy rocking lynx gear. Definitely some solid equipment.

[quote name='christopherscott2.0' timestamp='1334118782' post='4698238']
[quote name='Ping33' timestamp='1325349084' post='4009627']
[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1325347291' post='4009539']
[b]Lynx[/b] golf used to be a real OEM at one time, too.
[/quote]

Lynx used to be hugely popular back in the day, and then they just went away... Ping was their largest competitor at the time if memory serves me right. Lynx made some very nice gear, and as a kid was way out of my price range.
[/quote]
I still have a poster of Freddy rocking lynx gear. Definitely some solid equipment.
[/quote]

I learned the trade with a Parallax set, Freddie's model. Great clubs and I might still have played them if I hadn't learned that my recurring pushes and slices was due to the standard lie when I needed three degrees upright.
Since someone mentioned Ping, the clubs that kicked the Lynx set out of the bag was a set of white-coded ISI's.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

[quote name='shepherd' timestamp='1334192123' post='4704386']
Hogan and Sonartec definitely.
[/quote]

:yes:

My first few sets of irons growing up and all the way through college were Hogan Apex blades. I actually gave them away when I moved over to the USA. Boy was that a stupid thing to do :fool: . They looked great and felt so sweet.

I love Titleist stuff now but would love to see what a fully funded Hogan brand could come up with today for irons, especially in the players CB category...

As for Sonartech - MD hybrid. The first real hybrid I liked. A bit fugly but that club was a game changer and the 17deg finally got the 1 iron out of my bag.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1334316926' post='4713428']
[quote name='shepherd' timestamp='1334192123' post='4704386']
Hogan and Sonartec definitely.
[/quote]

:yes:

My first few sets of irons growing up and all the way through college were Hogan Apex blades. I actually gave them away when I moved over to the USA. Boy was that a stupid thing to do :fool: . They looked great and felt so sweet.

I love Titleist stuff now but would love to see what a fully funded Hogan brand could come up with today for irons, especially in the players CB category...

As for Sonartech - MD hybrid. The first real hybrid I liked. A bit fugly but that club was a game changer and the 17deg finally got the 1 iron out of my bag.
[/quote]

Like everyone else, I agree it's sad that Callaway hasn't done anything with the Hogan brand. It seems like there would be a solid market for them.
I recently replaced my set of Hogan Apex blades, but I am going to hold onto them. I'm still gaming the 2 iron, though--it's a lot more fun to hit than a hybrid.

• 4 weeks later...

Components - UT Golf. They had some sweet designs and I was going to pull the trigger and they got bought out (I think by Golfworks) and the inventory was gone in a flash. I had my eye on a set that looked a little like the T-Zoids.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter