PKMillerJr

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1325351535' post='4009789']
Tommy Armour
Lynx -------------> Golfsmith brands
MacGregor

Walter Hagen
Maxfli ------------> DSG brands
Nickent

I miss Hogan clubs the most. Top of the class, traditional styling. Sad to see it fall.
[/quote]

Tommy Armour is a house brand at The Sports Authority, not Golfsmith.

I miss Spalding. They were responsible for so many innovations throughout the history of the game. They invented the multilayer urethane ball that is now the standard (the Tour Edition in the 80s, and refined it with the Strata). They invented the first set of hybrid irons back in the 1980s (the Executive XE). Their Hogan clubs in the late 90s were the best Hogan clubs ever made. Many more innovations in the early history of golf equipment in America. How they failed is beyond me.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1325352581' post='4009851']
[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1325349452' post='4009653']
[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1325347688' post='4009557']
I heard Nicklaus Golf closed their doors this year. I wonder what companies will leave us or change hands next year.
[/quote]

I didn't hear that. Where did you hear that? I saw Nicklaus Golf is launching a new European website in 2012. I do not know for sure that you are mistaken but I do not think this is correct.
[/quote]

I don't know for sure. I heard it through a local golf retailer I have done business with in the past. He told me they were liquidating the entire stock back in October/November. He bought several clubs from them at a deep discount.

He was speaking about the American division so its possible the European division stayed open. I could be completely mistaken about the whole deal. I could have misheard him or he might have misspoke. I hope I'm wrong, frankly.

Obviously it's just heresay on my end. Maybe someone who follows Nicklaus a little closer can shed some light on the subject.
[/quote]
Please see if you can confirm. I do not think I saw Nicklaus Golf listed at the 2012 PGA show and thought they had just not registered yet. I thought Nicklaus Golf made money as they didn't sponsor any pros and saved money that way. I am really interested in this. I asked Clay Long in a different post about new blade irons and he never replied. Maybe this is why. Jack might consider buying MacGregor from Golfsmith and have a whir at it again. IMO, the Nicklaus clubs may have peformed well but were not pleasing to the eye. I did not like any of their irons as of late. The old JNP forged blades made by Nicklaus were nice and looked alot like the JNP's made by MacGregor. They had too much offset for my taste.

Are Carbonite putters still around?

If the economy doesn't turn around soon, I wouldn't be suprised to see some big name brands go away or see more consolidation. It will also be interesting to see how the big names fight for sloor space in the big retailers as they move to more and more in house brands(i.e. Dicks owning Walter Hagen, Slazenger, Nickent, Maxfli, etc.). I wonder how long it is before Under Armour gets into the equipment side of things?

[quote name='sevenfourate' timestamp='1325364939' post='4010579']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1325364136' post='4010523']
[quote name='square' timestamp='1325355365' post='4010053']
Sonartec- Royal Collection has thoughtful, sensible designs. Good stuff.

[quote name='PaulM26' timestamp='1325354494' post='4010003']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1325353384' post='4009907']
Sonartec!
[/quote]

Sonartec reorganized and is now part of a company called Royal Collection. The old Sonartec sole technology is still featured on RC woods. Check out the website at rc-golf.com -- nice gear! And note that other than being a satisfied customer of their Tour VS irons, I have no affiliation with the company.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wish the prices were sensible.
[/quote]

THATS the point here isnt it.

Whilst Sonartec might be gone; other similiar products are available. However the pricing is way different. Will never be mainstream again.....
[/quote]

Sonartec was reasonably priced. RC seems to have decided to charge a premium for their stuff.

Anyone ever use Zevo clubs?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Liquid Metal clubs were well designed and exceptionally high quality, Made in USA. Unfortunately, the golf industry is so much about Tour representation.
Another path to success is to come up with a playable gimmick such Adams low profile original tight lies fairway woods, or Orlimar Trimetal (the metal didn't mean much but those clubs were the first to have 43" 3-woods so everybody hit them longer than any other 3-wood). Liquid Metal, like Sonartec, didn't have much Tour representation or a gimmick.

[quote name='dmac4g' timestamp='1325384245' post='4011689']
I miss Liquidmetal Golf. The driver was long and the putter felt really good!
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

Tommy Armour
MacGregor

Walter Hagen
Nickent

I miss Hogan clubs the most. Top of the class, traditional styling. Sad to see it fall.
[/quote]

Ram, Tommy Armour, Zebra, and TearDrop are all owned by Sports Authority. The guy who designs the clubs for them was a designer for Adams Golf for many years, but took the job at Sports Authority about two years ago. Dick's owns all you listed including Slazenger. All of these names were great golf companies at one time. I truly miss Ram. I still have the last set of Ram Tour Grinds 97' model ever sold from Ram Golf new in a box which were actually built by Ram and not as a component liquidation. I got these in 2001 from the Ram/Tommy Armour Rep who had them on his list of available clubs when they were cleaning out a wharehouse in Minnesota.

Titleist Tour Issue 910 D3 9.5 Voodoo
Titleist 904f Graphite Design YS6+
Titleist 585h 19 JZ Cushin
Titleist 712mb 4-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM4 52, 56
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

The first quality irons that I bought for myself were Lynx Parallax. I played those for 4 years and beat the hell out of those things while going from an 18 handicap to an 8 before I got rid of them.

I used to drool over Hogan irons and had a good season with Apex Plus irons in 2005 (until I had the lies adjusted and could never get the same results with them).

I couldn't believe how well I hit my friend's MacGregor blades on the range one day. Very sweet irons and almost as good looking as the Hogans.

I don't really miss them though. They failed to compete in a tough market while other manufacturers pressed on successfully. "Innovate or die" as the saying goes...

Only brand I miss is Hogan. Their irons and even the golf ball before Spaulding sold them were two notches above the rest. Sad to see them never return and it looks like they never will. Legends aren't suppose to die.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

[quote name='jrgolfer7' timestamp='1325391590' post='4012069']
Tommy Armour
MacGregor

Walter Hagen
Nickent

[/quote]

Ram, Tommy Armour, Zebra, and TearDrop are all owned by Sports Authority. The guy who designs the clubs for them was a designer for Adams Golf for many years, but took the job at Sports Authority about two years ago. Dick's owns all you listed including Slazenger. All of these names were great golf companies at one time. I truly miss Ram. I still have the last set of Ram Tour Grinds 97' model ever sold from Ram Golf new in a box which were actually built by Ram and not as a component liquidation. I got these in 2001 from the Ram/Tommy Armour Rep who had them on his list of available clubs when they were cleaning out a wharehouse in Minnesota.
[/quote]

Please post some pictures.

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1325372016' post='4010973']
[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1325371698' post='4010955']
[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1325345323' post='4009413']
Kenneth Smith...They made great custom clubs back in the day. Their persimmon woods were beautiful. I'm trying to track down a cheap set of their irons to go with the woods I bought on the bay.
[/quote]

Back in 60's/ 70's my dad told me his dream was to get a custom made set of Kenneth Smith woods and irons. They were very expensive as I recall. He never did get them, had to settle for those ol nasty persimon Tourney woods and VIP irons.
[/quote]

Here's your set...

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kenneth-Smith-2-9-Irons-1-3-4-Persimmon-Woods-/110644507161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2ed3219"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item19c2ed3219[/url]

Not so sure about that price. Seems a little steep. But just had to search the bay after your post and this is what I found.
[/quote]

Thanks! Those are beauties! They'd be great to take out onto a par 3 course, but as you said, the price is steep.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I know they still exist as a company, and still produce equipment to some degree, but I really miss Daiwa's mass market stuff.

I still have a Hi-Trac Tour 3 wood that goes into the bag when my more modern one is misbehaving, and I had a David Graham 60° forged wedge that was only removed from play due to being worn out. It was one of the first retail wedges with a funky sole grind. They also had really nice forgings and metal woods in their Advisor range.

They had lots of other good stuff too, shafts especially.

Right....Kenneth Smith

Although a custom club maker they made some beautiful woods and stainless steel irons....

Talk about muscle!!

[attachment=966931:KS 9 iron.gif]

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='spring7' timestamp='1325436957' post='4013125']
[quote name='rb83993' timestamp='1325436391' post='4013085']
Kunnan, first new driver I ever bought.
[/quote]

Has anyone said Kasco or McHenry Metals?
[/quote]

McHenrey metals were awesome clubs in their day, started by Gary Adams I believe who was the original founder of Taylor Made.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I went to the Kenneth Smith factory and showroom a couple of times before they went out of business. Sadly they just did not keep up with the times, and while their custom fitting was state of the art during their hay day, when companies like Ping and Callaway came along they became obsolete. Great quality clubs, maybe the best in the world at one time.

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1325453900' post='4014049']
Right....Kenneth Smith

Although a custom club maker they made some beautiful woods and stainless steel irons....

Talk about muscle!!

[attachment=966931:KS 9 iron.gif]
[/quote]

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hogan. A travesty what Callaway did to the brand. One reason I'll never purchase a Callaway product.
Lynx. Didn't Freddie win the Masters with Lynx gear? Seems like Els played it too. I had a set that was really nice.
Ram. My first set of clubs were Rams. Watson won a LOT of majors with Rams in the bag.

For the most obscure reference. Wood Brothers. Persimmon is never coming back but those woods were gorgeous.

[quote name='otto6457' timestamp='1325460398' post='4014425']
Hogan. A travesty what Callaway did to the brand. One reason I'll never purchase a Callaway product.
Lynx. Didn't Freddie win the Masters with Lynx gear? Seems like Els played it too. I had a set that was really nice.
Ram. My first set of clubs were Rams. Watson won a LOT of majors with Rams in the bag.

For the most obscure reference. Wood Brothers. Persimmon is never coming back but those woods were gorgeous.
[/quote]

Freddie not only won the Masters with Lynx, but became part owner of the company for a while. Yes, Els played them also.

Ram was the first that came to mind. My Troon grind wedges still see a lot of play.

Second was Zevo... pioneers in custom fitting, and made some really nice clubs. I had some Z blades and wedges (I believe they were called soft wedges) that I really liked. Also had a Ti 3 wood that my Father-in-Law "borrowed". It is still in his bag.

Also loved the Goldwin drivers and fairway woods. The Nick Price blades were super-sexy with their gold ferrules (although a Ram tour grind by any other name...).

Ray Cook putters were a mainstay in my bag for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. I still rotate two in and out, especially when I play on slow greens.

Hogan and MacGregor are sorely missed as well. Remember the K grind wedges? I loved those!

TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3W on GD YS Reloaded
Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
TM MG on Aldila VS Proto 100 (50*, 54*, 58*)
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
2020 Srixon Z Star

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1325458882' post='4014303']
[quote name='spring7' timestamp='1325436957' post='4013125']
[quote name='rb83993' timestamp='1325436391' post='4013085']
Kunnan, first new driver I ever bought.
[/quote]

Has anyone said Kasco or McHenry Metals?
[/quote]

McHenrey metals were awesome clubs in their day, started by Gary Adams I believe who was the original founder of Taylor Made.
[/quote]

Gary Adams did Taylormade then Founders Club. When did he do McHenrey?