PKMillerJr

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1325353384' post='4009907']
Sonartec!
[/quote]

Sonartec reorganized and is now part of a company called Royal Collection. The old Sonartec sole technology is still featured on RC woods. Check out the website at rc-golf.com -- nice gear! And note that other than being a satisfied customer of their Tour VS irons, I have no affiliation with the company.

[quote name='PaulM26' timestamp='1325354494' post='4010003']
Sonartec!
[/quote]

Sonartec reorganized and is now part of a company called Royal Collection. The old Sonartec sole technology is still featured on RC woods. Check out the website at rc-golf.com -- nice gear! And note that other than being a satisfied customer of their Tour VS irons, I have no affiliation with the company.
[/quote]

i WILL check it out!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sonartec- Royal Collection has thoughtful, sensible designs. Good stuff.

Sonartec!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

Sonartec!
[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought Sonartec licensed Royal Collection technology into their clubs and not the other way around?

I also miss Hogan as I grew up with those irons (hand me downs from my Dad). I have currently put an old set of the Apex PCs into play and am loving them.

Another old brand that I miss is Joe Powell. Made great woods and irons as recently as the mid-80s. Used to go into Walter Keller's on Westwood Blvd in LA when I lived down there and they always had them in stock (boy I miss that store too) and I would waggle the irons and drivers and think that one day I could afford to play them.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1325345297' post='4009407']
Two brands come to mind:

Browning - they still make incredible rifles but to the best of my knowledge they got completely out of the golf business. The irons they made back in the 80's were incredible and affordable. I looked up the brand and found my old set on eBay - the Browning Maxim. I remember when I bought them I looked at the 440's also but could not afford them. As it was I made payments on a layaway for the Maxims for a couple of months. I think it was back in 1983 and they were my first brand new set of irons.

Fila Golf - they made the original Titanium driver. An interesting and different gold color, a lighter weight, and a larger head size were all bound to get attention. But the sound off of the face was incredible. They had good customer service too - I fractured my face hitting a drive after I had owned the thing for about a year and when I called them they had me send it to them. They replaced it with the updated model. I played that thing for another three years until the Taylor Made R580 came out!

Both of the above brands were sort of obscure. To my knowledge no pros ever bagged them and I only recall a small number of ads in print for the product line. But they were quality products that delivered. I am glad I had the opportunity to own and play them before they faded away.
[/quote]

Fila is now the proud owner of Titleist/ Footjoy.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Mr Titleist' timestamp='1325355606' post='4010071']
Sonartec!
[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought Sonartec licensed Royal Collection technology into their clubs and not the other way around?
[/quote]

Sonartec originally licensed their sole technology to Royal Collection when both companies were in business. I have read somewhere that when RC allowed the license to expire it triggered Sonartec's downfall into bankruptcy in the middle part of the last decade -- as far as I know the Sonartec brand no longer exists. I believe RC was then able to buy the technology patents during the bankruptcy proceedings, but perhaps others can elaborate further.

The real USA forged original design [color=#1C2837][size=2]MacGregor's[/size][/color]

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='square' timestamp='1325355365' post='4010053']

Sonartec!
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Wish the prices were sensible.

The original Snake Eyes wedges were really nice. I remember they were like $229.00 which was outrageous for non-custom wedges at that time. If I remember they had a set of forged irons as well. Now owned by Golfsmith they have been relegated to components.

I can speak for Royal Collection as well. A friend of mine had the VS Tour driver and it was one of the best looking heads I've ever seen.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1325364136' post='4010523']
[quote name='square' timestamp='1325355365' post='4010053']

Sonartec!
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Wish the prices were sensible.
[/quote]

THATS the point here isnt it.

Whilst Sonartec might be gone; other similiar products are available. However the pricing is way different. Will never be mainstream again.....

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

[quote name='PaulM26' timestamp='1325362470' post='4010431']
[quote name='Mr Titleist' timestamp='1325355606' post='4010071']
Sonartec!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sonartec originally licensed their sole technology to Royal Collection when both companies were in business. I have read somewhere that when RC allowed the license to expire it triggered Sonartec's downfall into bankruptcy in the middle part of the last decade -- as far as I know the Sonartec brand no longer exists. I believe RC was then able to buy the technology patents during the bankruptcy proceedings, but perhaps others can elaborate further.
[/quote]

It is very frustrating to see how much wrong information is typed out every day on this board now as if it were fact.

You have this completely backwards. Royal Collection developed this technology and Sonartec licensed it to sell in the USA. Your facts on why Sonartec failed are also completely wrong.

Here is a good read for anyone who wants to get their facts straight.

[url="http://www.golfweek.com/news/2002/feb/26/sonartec-demise-of-a-dream/"]http://www.golfweek....ise-of-a-dream/[/url]

I'm probably one of the few. But I was a huge fan of Liquidmetal Golfs woods. Never played any of their other clubs, just a fairway wood and a driver and they were sweet.

Adams Launch Lab 8* w/ Matrix 7m4 Black Tie
Adams Super LS 15* w/ Axe Xcalibur Tour
Adams CB1 3-PW w/ PX 6.0
Yururi Gekku 53, 57, & 61 w/ PX 6.0
NeverCompromise Gambler Straight

One Brand that is taking far too long to go away is Russell. hi.gif

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1325364678' post='4010555']
The original Snake Eyes wedges were really nice. I remember they were like $229.00 which was outrageous for non-custom wedges at that time. If I remember they had a set of forged irons as well. Now owned by Golfsmith they have been relegated to components.

I can speak for Royal Collection as well. A friend of mine had the VS Tour driver and it was one of the best looking heads I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Oh man you just brought back some memories.

My best friend used to have a set of the Snake Eyes. We went inside to settle up after 18 - you know, figure out the betting, eat a quick bite, and have a cold frosty adult beverage.

When we came back out Mike's sand wedge was gone. He immediately saw that it was gone - it was always right in the front of his bag. We asked the cart guys about the bag and they said they didn't see anything. We went inside and the guy at the counter basically took Mike's info and said he would keep an eye out. Needless to say it never reappeared.

That was the very last time I ever left my bag unattended - I always either leave it in my trunk or someone in our group stays with them.

He definitely did not leave it on the course by the way because on the 17th he holed out using it from just off of the green. On the 18th he was GIR and never needed it.

Sad but true. Was a sort of a wake up call for all of us. Up until that point to be honest it never occurred to me that someone may steal a club - and that course is one of the nicer ones here in Florida. Definitely unexpected. And I had completely forgotten about that wedge until your post. (but did not forget my rule regarding not leaving the cart/bags unattended)

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1325345323' post='4009413']
Kenneth Smith...They made great custom clubs back in the day. Their persimmon woods were beautiful. I'm trying to track down a cheap set of their irons to go with the woods I bought on the bay.
[/quote]

Back in 60's/ 70's my dad told me his dream was to get a custom made set of Kenneth Smith woods and irons. They were very expensive as I recall. He never did get them, had to settle for those ol nasty persimon Tourney woods and VIP irons.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1325371698' post='4010955']
[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1325345323' post='4009413']
Kenneth Smith...They made great custom clubs back in the day. Their persimmon woods were beautiful. I'm trying to track down a cheap set of their irons to go with the woods I bought on the bay.
[/quote]

Back in 60's/ 70's my dad told me his dream was to get a custom made set of Kenneth Smith woods and irons. They were very expensive as I recall. He never did get them, had to settle for those ol nasty persimon Tourney woods and VIP irons.
[/quote]

Here's your set...

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kenneth-Smith-2-9-Irons-1-3-4-Persimmon-Woods-/110644507161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2ed3219"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kenneth-Smith-2-9-Irons-1-3-4-Persimmon-Woods-/110644507161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2ed3219[/url]

Not so sure about that price. Seems a little steep. But just had to search the bay after your post and this is what I found.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft