Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

just picked up a set red dot 3-W zz lite shafts, and regripped them with some grey REL grips. Looks sick. I already have the Lob wedge, so i am on the hunt for a red dot sand wedge. PM Me if you have one you'd like to sell.

Awesome irons. These babys just spin the ball like no bodys business. I hit them just as fas as i do my 695 cb irons even though they are about a club weaker in lofts. Does it make sense? No, but it works. Ill be putting the 695s and my i5s on the BST soon.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Is the eye 2+ really more playable than the eye 2? I'm thinking about getting a set for my boy. He is at that age when junior clubs are too small but he has not quite grown into full sized clubs. The Ping static chart shows him as -1" and brown dot but there are a lot of orange dots around. He could choke up and grow into them. I think for the price these go for it may be a good option for him.

As far as I can tell, there is very little difference than the + and the regular. My set has a regular 7 while the rest of them are +s. The 3 iron that I have that isn't a part of the set though seems to be a smaller head for some reason.

I think there are a number of eras though. The numbers you see on the face apparently stand for something. Someone can clarify this? Was it posted in this thread earlier?

For example, I believe there are several different types of non-+s. Someone?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='rfletcher' timestamp='1343129554' post='5340358']
Is the eye 2+ really more playable than the eye 2? I'm thinking about getting a set for my boy. He is at that age when junior clubs are too small but he has not quite grown into full sized clubs. The Ping static chart shows him as -1" and brown dot but there are a lot of orange dots around. He could choke up and grow into them. I think for the price these go for it may be a good option for him.
[/quote]

I believe the difference between the Eye 2 and the Eye 2+ is only the space between the grooves. The USGA used a convoluted way of measurement that made the Eye 2 grooves too wide by a ridiculously small fraction of a millimeter and it was caused by the fact that Ping made their grooves less aggressive than the legal grooves to avoid damaging balls. The Eye 2+ was made with grooves that suited the USGA but also did not damage golf balls. To the best of my knowledge, that is the only difference.

Shambles

Joe85 here is a list of ping eye 2 irons :

[b] EYE2 irons, first introduced[/b]

[indent=1]in September of 1982, are without doubt the most popular irons in the history of the game. This model underwent many revisions over the years, the final changes resulting in the EYE2+ model, which was introduced in April 1990.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]Features and identifying markings:[/b][/indent][list]
[*]"V" groove models manufactured from 1982 through Summer 1984, identified by [b]PAT. PENDING[/b] in cavity and [b]KARSTEN MFG CORP PHOENIX AZ 85068 U.S.A.[/b] upside-down on back of top rail.
[*]Eye2 Lite models introduced in 1984, identified by [b]PAT. PENDING[/b] in cavity and [b]KARSTEN PHOENIX AZ 85068 U.S.A.[/b] right-side-up on back of top rail.
[*]"U" groove models manufactured from Fall 1984 to Fall 1985, identified by [b]U.S. PAT. D276644 OTHERS PEND.[/b] in cavity.
[*]Radiused "U" groove models manufactured from Fall 1985 to March, 1990, identified by [b]U.S. PAT. D276644[/b] and [b]4.512.577[/b] in cavity.
[*]Modified "U" groove models manufactured after April, 1990 identifed by dot beneath patent numbers in cavity.
[*]"New EYE2" models with reshaped soles, increased perimeter weighting, less bounce in wedges, and stronger lofts than the original EYE2 were first introduced in November of 1989. Identified by [b]U.S. Pat. 4.512.577[/b] and [b]4.621.813[/b] in cavity, club heads produced [i]before[/i] March 31, 1990 had no "+" in the cavity.
[*]In April of 1990, a "+" was added to the cavity, and this model became the EYE2+.
[/list]

[quote name='eerogolf' timestamp='1343149488' post='5342706']
Joe85 here is a list of ping eye 2 irons :

[b] EYE2 irons, first introduced[/b]

[indent=1]in September of 1982, are without doubt the most popular irons in the history of the game. This model underwent many revisions over the years, the final changes resulting in the EYE2+ model, which was introduced in April 1990.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]Features and identifying markings:[/b][/indent][list]
[*]"V" groove models manufactured from 1982 through Summer 1984, identified by [b]PAT. PENDING[/b] in cavity and [b]KARSTEN MFG CORP PHOENIX AZ 85068 U.S.A.[/b] upside-down on back of top rail.
[*]Eye2 Lite models introduced in 1984, identified by [b]PAT. PENDING[/b] in cavity and [b]KARSTEN PHOENIX AZ 85068 U.S.A.[/b] right-side-up on back of top rail.
[*]"U" groove models manufactured from Fall 1984 to Fall 1985, identified by [b]U.S. PAT. D276644 OTHERS PEND.[/b] in cavity.
[*]Radiused "U" groove models manufactured from Fall 1985 to March, 1990, identified by [b]U.S. PAT. D276644[/b] and [b]4.512.577[/b] in cavity.
[*]Modified "U" groove models manufactured after April, 1990 identifed by dot beneath patent numbers in cavity.
[*]"New EYE2" models with reshaped soles, increased perimeter weighting, less bounce in wedges, and stronger lofts than the original EYE2 were first introduced in November of 1989. Identified by [b]U.S. Pat. 4.512.577[/b] and [b]4.621.813[/b] in cavity, club heads produced [i]before[/i] March 31, 1990 had no "+" in the cavity.
[*]In April of 1990, a "+" was added to the cavity, and this model became the EYE2+.
[/list]
[/quote]
Thank you. :)

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='HoosierHacker89' timestamp='1343071386' post='5335736']
just picked up a set red dot 3-W zz lite shafts, and regripped them with some grey REL grips. Looks sick. I already have the Lob wedge, so i am on the hunt for a red dot sand wedge. PM Me if you have one you'd like to sell.

Awesome irons. These babys just spin the ball like no bodys business. I hit them just as fas as i do my 695 cb irons even though they are about a club weaker in lofts. Does it make sense? No, but it works. Ill be putting the 695s and my i5s on the BST soon.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmmhmmm. That Jalopy bag of yours is starting to come around HH... well played.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

Any of you guys gaming the eye 2's have KBS C tapers in me? Thinking about switching out the ZZ lites. The ZZ lites seem ok. I used to play w/ rifle flighted 7.0 in my 99 Hogan apexes. They were a little stiff but doable and I liked the ball flight. Wondering if the C tapers will spin a little less and go a little further than the ZZ lites like they claim? I would use a C taper in stiff which I think equals about 6.2 on the fcm (x100=6.8).

$$$$

[/quote]Hoosier, good to see you again. Many thanks again for that 9 iron. I don't know if I told you but I got a 8 for a trade. And wouldn't you know just a few weeks ago - after getting my 4+ - there was a 4+ red in VGC at Play it Again for $2.97 (seriously).

Suffice to say, basically I just need a wedge (red or black pretty much look and feel the same, as far as when I've hit them). eBay has some for a reasonable price but as soon as I get my rotors and brakes put on my car I am going to go back out to 2ndSwing and trade for one of theirs.

I have to admit though the fact that all the shafts of the set are different throws me a bit, so I keep checking for other sets that have shafts I can pull from thrift stores.

Thanks again, bud. :)

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Putting $250 dollar shafts in $100 dollar irons sounds kind of crazy, unless you are really into the heads. I have gone down that road before with my 2+ Becu's. I pulled the JZ stiffs for a set of Blackgold stiff shafts. Paid big money for the shafts and the install, and i wish i hadn't, wound up selling them. The one aftermarket shaft i really liked in the Eye 2 was the FCM Rifle 6.5, it was my first set of eye 2's about 7 years ago.. in hindsight that is the set i should have kept. Rifle's really work well in the Eye 2 head and are dirt cheap these days.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

That's ridiculous! Tell him to find another shop. The Eye2's are great and all, but the current G-series is superior if forgiveness is important.

You mean they didn't find anything that justified purchasing a new set...right? C'mon. Those of us that ha e the irons love them, and most realoze that they can go toe to toe with most new mid handicap to players irons today. But to refuse a sale because one has a hast of eye2's sounds almost racist...

That happened a few years ago, now I'm sure they'd sell him on whatever they had. He was actualy getting them fit at the Ping Factory Facility in Phoenix when we used to live there.

Yesterday on Craigslist, I found some ladies gold-plated ping eye 2's.

5E55Z65Me3J63N73l3c6m48f33e91dd831802.jpg

[quote name='Flpimpn' timestamp='1343248630' post='5352826']
What makes them lady specific? I would also like to see some more pics of these if you don't mind :)
[/quote]I'd assume the Ladies clubs are lighter, but the gold doesn't help that much :P I didnt actually buy the clubs; $600 for something I wont use, and that was the only picture posted.

Just a peek. I actually game the 4-sw(bent to 56.0) and play a Jaws LW for the tight/cute shots. Nothing out there worth spending hundreds on. Built in 1988. Black Dot. ZZ Lite. Sensicor inserts. And the paint fill is prolly a 3 stroke saver alone...

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1343324341' post='5358796']
Is the sand wedge regularly 57.5 degrees?
[/quote]

Yes. High bounce too. The bending to 56 actually makes it even more playable IMO.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

I generally the last couple years have been playing a 52 + 58 wedge setup. It's interesting you could bend the Sand to either direction to get a low lob or legit sand.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1343346090' post='5360914']
I generally the last couple years have been playing a 52 + 58 wedge setup. It's interesting you could bend the Sand to either direction to get a low lob or legit sand.
[/quote]

I do as well from time to time. If the course is well maintained, I go with a 53/10 & 58/10 set of V-Rev's. The SW can be a bit tricky on real tight lies...need to be swinging pretty good to execute. BtW...the LW plays better if it is opened up...regardless of the shot being played I have found.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Late to this party....

I'm an inveterate blade user. Primarily Golden Rams, but also FG17s, Muirfields, Palmer Standards... been through a lot of blades in the last dozen years.

In spite of my blade affinity, I have long had a thing for Pings. The absolute antithesis of that which I've been playing. The "designed by engineer" must appeal to my inner nerd, or something like that. <shrug>

Last fall, I noticed a set of Eye2+ green dots, ZZ Lites, show up at a local 2nd Swing shop (I live in MN, we have two such locations). Went to check them out before a round, they put me on the launch monitor and let me hit them against the MS-11s I'd been playing.

Spin rate with the MS-11 6 iron averaged over 7000.
Spin rate with the Eye2+ 6 iron averaged around 5500-5700.

Factor in my usual fairly high trajectory. Helps explain my crappy wind play. :)

Walked out of the shop that day with the Eye2+. Played them through the rest of the season, and have continued with them this year. Picked up a 2 iron off fleabay that I use from time to time. They've taken some getting used to, coming from smaller blade sets, and frankly, I have to admit I'd prefer to still be playing the blades, but there's no denying the results. I can hit shots through headwinds now that used to have me clenching my teeth.

I may switch away from them, but I don't think I can ever unload them.

Might have to find green dot SW/LW now....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1343160416' post='5344098']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmmhmmm. That Jalopy bag of yours is starting to come around HH... well played.
[/quote]

Thank you sir!

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Wow. Ping really does a fine job. I saw a refinished set the other day at 2ndSwing and they really are sharp.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1343571124' post='5372594']
Check out the ones i just had refinished.
[/quote]

Those look awesome man. I really like the finish and black paint fill.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

• 1 month later...

Sorry to spark up an old thread. However, I played Eye 2's for 10+ years until they were stolen in college. My dad an I got fitted and ordered ours together. When he passed away I got his set and played them for a few years. He stored in the garage with pool chemicals and the shafts showed lots of rust. So I looked into getting them re-shafted. In the process I fell into the theory of being told that my clubs were holding my game back. I went and got fitted and ordered a set of s56 with PX 6.5. I have never played the same. I'm thinking of selling the heads and putting the PX in my EYE 2's. Maybe even a refinish.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many hear ... I played Eye2's for many years. Migrated to blades and my latest version being the 710MB with px 6.5. My ball striking the last 2 years has went downhill. Getting old and some injuries have contributed. I brought out an old set and all of a sudden I was finding the sweet spot again. About 6 rounds into it and I am completely convinced they have not made a better set of irons in the last 20 years.

My handicap ranges between zero and 2. I am done with player clubs... may try the AP1 to see how they compare.

• 3 months later...