2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Is that a + sw or an XG?

The Eye2+ wedges have their loft designators on the toe like that SW.

eye2.png

eye2sole-1.png

eye2sole1.png

Right , it looked like a Eye 2 iron set with a + sand wedge, hence my question. I play both the Eye 2 pw and the + sw, which don't have a big loft gap between them but it works out just fine for me.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

Forgive me for asking a question that may have been answered elsewhere--But I was looking at a set of Eye 2s today: stainless, no plus.

I didn't see a serial number on the hosels of any of the clubs except for the 3i. Is this normal? I'm guessing not, since I see references to matching serials. But they were green dot, perfect for my excessive height, and priced nicely...

Am I looking at knockoffs? How do I confirm before I pull the trigger?

Cobra Bio Cell
TM V-Steel 15* 3W and 18* 5W
TM Speedblade, 3-PW
TM ATV, 50, 54,58
Odyssey WHP #9

[quote name='steamcorners' timestamp='1358650509' post='6262513']
Forgive me for asking a question that may have been answered elsewhere--But I was looking at a set of Eye 2s today: stainless, no plus.

I didn't see a serial number on the hosels of any of the clubs except for the 3i. Is this normal? I'm guessing not, since I see references to matching serials. But they were green dot, perfect for my excessive height, and priced nicely...

Am I looking at knockoffs? How do I confirm before I pull the trigger?
[/quote]

I believe Ping's should have a S/N on every club. There are lots of sets out there, so take your time and I'm sure you can find a set of Green dots. Bending is also an option, only I wouldn't bend more than two color codes.

EDIT: this looks like a nice set...[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-Eye-2-GREEN-Dot-3-W-MATCHING-SERIAL-S-1-4-NEW-GRIPS-IMMACULATE-/281050548652?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item416feb09ac"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-Eye-2-GREEN-Dot-3-W-MATCHING-SERIAL-S-1-4-NEW-GRIPS-IMMACULATE-/281050548652?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item416feb09ac[/url]

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

My wedges came today and, perhaps unfortunately, the "S" wedge seems to have been reshafted. The "L" wedge has a blue and silver shaft band and the step pattern (plus the weight of the club) are consistent with the standard ZZ-65 shaft. The "S" wedge has no shaft band and a Dynamic Gold (taper) type step pattern. The overall weight of the club is also 25-30g heavier than the "L" wedge.

The clubheads are identical. Both of them seem to be Radius U-Groove versions from 1985-1990. So I suppose at some point someone broke the shaft and replaced it with a generic Dynamic Gold type. Not sure I really dig having one club that's so much heavier but I'll find out this weekend when I get them to the course.

They are in absolutely beautiful shape, condition-wise, by the way.

[EDIT] I don't know why I said "ZZ-65" in this post the other day. Looking closely at the shaft band, I can clearly make out "ZZ" and then most of the "L", half the "I" and "T" and even a tiny bit of the top of the "E" in "ZZ-LITE". Which is pretty much the shaft one would expect the find in a Ping Eye 2 from the last 1980's. I am going to reshaft the SW with a ZZ-LITE pull-out, being donated by a kind GolfWRX'er. What cool wedges!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1358522296' post='6252631']
[quote name='cobrastang' timestamp='1358517899' post='6252063']
I attempted to play them some last year, but I couldn't stand hitting them two clubs shorter than my r11's
[/quote]

And this is why we have 23° 5 irons. :)
[/quote]

That's the thing. You have to think about the loft you are hitting with the older clubs if you normally play the newer stronger lofts.I play the Burner 2.0's normally, but enjoy hitting my old Eye 2's every now and then. They are about a a club and 1/2 shorter than my Burners.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Played zing 2's growing up in game, love them....(some say ugliest iron ever, but i like the raw look) and still pull them out every once in a while....it's funny cause the toe still same on most ping irons.....

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

[quote name='bullie76' timestamp='1360513333' post='6399651']
That's the thing. You have to think about the loft you are hitting with the older clubs if you normally play the newer stronger lofts.I play the Burner 2.0's normally, but enjoy hitting my old Eye 2's every now and then. They are about a a club and 1/2 shorter than my Burners.
[/quote]

But, why does it matter? A 30° club is a 30° club. Who cares if it says 5 iron, 6 iron, or 7 iron? Are we really so fed by our egos that we have to play 30° 7 irons?

I tend to play irons of an even older vintage. It's not unusual for me to carry a set with a 50° PW and 30° 5 iron.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1360530457' post='6401157']
[/quote]

But, why does it matter? A 30° club is a 30° club. Who cares if it says 5 iron, 6 iron, or 7 iron? Are we really so fed by our egos that we have to play 30° 7 irons?

I tend to play irons of an even older vintage. It's not unusual for me to carry a set with a 50° PW and 30° 5 iron.
[/quote]

It doesn't matter, but dialing in the distances actually can be tough if you own 2 sets and play Eye2's as a backup set or something. The lofts are almost a full club weaker but the shafts haven't changed much in terms of length. So the yardages end up really weird compared to what i'm used to. If i take my G15's compared to my Eye2's it's not as easy as just saying the eye2 6 iron is really a 7 iron. Because the 6 iron still has the shaft length of a modern 6 iron

so for example i fly my G15 7 iron about 175. But i fly my Ping eye2 6 iron about 180 and my eye2 7 iron about 165

the yardages are completely different. But if you stick with one set all the time it's easy to dial them in obviously

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

^^^ oh yeah, i'm playing them for sure this season. I really like them and am hitting them with a lot of confidence. There really aren't many sets out there today that have offset but without huge soles or toplines. As crazy as it sounds my second favorite overall design of the last few years was probably the Burner 2.0 because they also had that. Clubs with offset just look a lot better to me.

I have already gotten mocked for hitting more club into greens then playing partners during virtual golf.....sigh....people really don't understand modern lofts. Even good golfers

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1360531279' post='6401235']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It doesn't matter, but dialing in the distances actually can be tough if you own 2 sets and play Eye2's as a backup set or something. The lofts are almost a full club weaker but the shafts haven't changed much in terms of length. So the yardages end up really weird compared to what i'm used to. If i take my G15's compared to my Eye2's it's not as easy as just saying the eye2 6 iron is really a 7 iron. Because the 6 iron still has the shaft length of a modern 6 iron

so for example i fly my G15 7 iron about 175. But i fly my Ping eye2 6 iron about 180 and my eye2 7 iron about 165

the yardages are completely different. But if you stick with one set all the time it's easy to dial them in obviously
[/quote]

I've done that so much, I don't have all that much problem with it. I've been known to switch sets at the turn, when playing in outings with my so-called "imaginary friends" from assorted golf nerd forums.

The fact that most of my sets are in the 20/30/50 vein makes it a bit easier, I will admit. LOL

[quote][color=#282828]I have already gotten mocked for hitting more club into greens then playing partners during virtual golf.....sigh....people really don't understand modern lofts. Even good golfers[/quote][/color]

[color=#282828]I used to play in a golf league where one guy constantly wondered why he was hitting the same, or even less club, into greens, when I was outdriving him by 30+ yards every hole. He had King Cobras, I pointed out the 43° PW. He said something like "I know" but still couldn't seem to grasp the concept. [/color]

[color=#282828]It's funny.[/color]

[color=#282828]The real problem with modern lofts is how they tend to compress the long iron gaps. Even the FG17 loft progression that so many have held as their "old standard" (20/30/50 for 2/5/pw) is somewhat compressed; irons used to be 4° gaps between each iron. 20° 1 iron, 52° 9 iron.[/color]

[color=#282828]I don't mind the TM loft progression as much as it might seem. They're still squeezing it a bit at the long end, but they just shifted the 3 iron to 18°. You can go 4-GW, or even 5-GW, pretty nicely. The problem I have is something like those King Cobras I mentioned, with the 30° 3 iron, but the 43° PW. Tiny gaps on the long end.[/color]

[color=#282828]Sorry, got carried away. LOL[/color]

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1360531279' post='6401235']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree. I could get used to the yardages if I played the eye 2's all the time. But I have a tendency to hook them more than my Burner's, so that is one reason I don't play them much anymore. The Burner's are just easier to hit imo.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I grew up on blades as that was the only kind of club that was being made at the time. My dad cut a few irons down and I beat the grown to death in the back yard with them. I have played the eye2's and the eye s+ 's since the 80's. Tried everything new and just loved them at first them came back to the eye 2+'s. Turning 68 in a few months and not really caring about how far a 6 iron goes as long as it finds the green I went back to my old eye 2 +'s. Loved them. My dad passed away years ago and I was renting out his condo in Florida. I finally sold it. Went back to clean it out and clean out the storage room. In the storage room was an unopened Karsten Mfg box of eye 2 + no + blue dot 3-sw&lw The build tag was Feb 1990. Took them back home with me and took a few weeks till I would play them I was going to change the shafts but the zz lite is fine ,6 iron is around 160 fine for my age and the club loft . Grooves spin the ball . Put new grips on and set for the next 10 years. Best irons ever made..Thanks Dad...

[quote name='Redsoxfan' timestamp='1360550419' post='6403429']
I grew up on blades as that was the only kind of club that was being made at the time. My dad cut a few irons down and I beat the grown to death in the back yard with them. I have played the eye2's and the eye s+ 's since the 80's. Tried everything new and just loved them at first them came back to the eye 2+'s. Turning 68 in a few months and not really caring about how far a 6 iron goes as long as it finds the green I went back to my old eye 2 +'s. Loved them. My dad passed away years ago and I was renting out his condo in Florida. I finally sold it. Went back to clean it out and clean out the storage room. In the storage room was an unopened Karsten Mfg box of eye 2 + no + blue dot 3-sw&lw The build tag was Feb 1990. Took them back home with me and took a few weeks till I would play them I was going to change the shafts but the zz lite is fine ,6 iron is around 160 fine for my age and the club loft . Grooves spin the ball . Put new grips on and set for the next 10 years. Best irons ever made..Thanks Dad...
[/quote]

Great story!! Your post has officially pushed me over the edge. I am ready for spring. Got my EYE2s back from restoration 3 weeks ago and can't wait to put them in play.

[/quote]

Great story. My dad and I both got fitted for our sets together in 1991. I used my set in High School and then they were stolen right before college. Since then who knows how many sets of irons I've had. My dad passed away and I took his bag to the house and took them out to play last year and I shot the best round I've shot in YEARS. Still amazing clubs

[quote name='three-putt-pete' timestamp='1360682277' post='6412971']
[/quote]

Great story!! Your post has officially pushed me over the edge. I am ready for spring. Got my EYE2s back from restoration 3 weeks ago and can't wait to put them in play.
[/quote]

Who did your restore? I'm looking into getting mine done. Do you have any pics of them?

[quote name='Golf Ball Wacker Guy' timestamp='1360733741' post='6418685']
[quote name='three-putt-pete' timestamp='1360682277' post='6412971']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who did your restore? I'm looking into getting mine done. Do you have any pics of them?
[/quote]

The work was done by a clubmaker who advertises on eBay under the username LLGOLF. Search "ping restore" and you will find him rather quickly. I have attached pics. I am very pleased with the results.

Nice looking clubs ThreePuttPete.

Wonder how many of us spend an hour on EBay looking for Eye2's they can buy after reading this thread!!!

I know I do and ended up buying a set of Eye2+'s last fall. They were in great shape. Had to reshaft them as the originals were pretty stiff. But I got lucky in that the local pro shop had a set of regular flex shafts that someone had taken out of a set of G2's so after another $150 for the shafts and some new Ping grips they are ready to go once the season starts again in a few months.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1358966676' post='6283549']
My wedges came today and, perhaps unfortunately, the "S" wedge seems to have been reshafted. The "L" wedge has a blue and silver shaft band and the step pattern (plus the weight of the club) are consistent with the standard ZZ-65 shaft. The "S" wedge has no shaft band and a Dynamic Gold (taper) type step pattern. The overall weight of the club is also 25-30g heavier than the "L" wedge.

The clubheads are identical. Both of them seem to be Radius U-Groove versions from 1985-1990. So I suppose at some point someone broke the shaft and replaced it with a generic Dynamic Gold type. Not sure I really dig having one club that's so much heavier but I'll find out this weekend when I get them to the course.

They are in absolutely beautiful shape, condition-wise, by the way.

[EDIT] I don't know why I said "ZZ-65" in this post the other day. Looking closely at the shaft band, I can clearly make out "ZZ" and then most of the "L", half the "I" and "T" and even a tiny bit of the top of the "E" in "ZZ-LITE". Which is pretty much the shaft one would expect the find in a Ping Eye 2 from the last 1980's. I am going to reshaft the SW with a ZZ-LITE pull-out, being donated by a kind GolfWRX'er. What cool wedges!
[/quote]

I was told at GG and Golfsmith the when I went to get a rusted ZZ Lite (Ping) shaft replacement that the closest match in specs was the DG TT Lite. It's basically the same shaft. I believe they go around $7-8 a pop per shaft. All my shafts don't match so I'm looking to re-do the whole set in the TT Lite soon.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1328103707' post='4190703']
A number of gentlemen at my practice my facility still play the Eye 2's. All of them a single digits. All say they haven't found anything better.
[/quote]
Bet they have never tried. Most old men get cheap in their later golf years. You know there is something better than Eye 2's., like just about any modern club.

[quote name='snakesnot' timestamp='1361112866' post='6444637']
A number of gentlemen at my practice my facility still play the Eye 2's. All of them a single digits. All say they haven't found anything better.
[/quote]
Bet they have never tried. Most old men get cheap in their later golf years. You know there is something better than Eye 2's., like just about any modern club.
[/quote]

Please have some respect and do not use the word "OLD MEN".......The only thing better out there is you learning that you to will grow old some day.....

[quote name='snakesnot' timestamp='1361112866' post='6444637']
[/quote]
[/quote]

:stink::stink::stink::stink:

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[/quote]

Wow, great post!

[/quote]
Awesome story...wish my dad was into golf....I mean he lives on the east coast q-school qualifier courses!!!

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

My first set were hand me down ping eye 2 + red dots from my dad. I hit them great, but thought they were ugly and wanted modern equipment. Within a year of starting golf, I switched to a modern set and only recently, about 8-9 years after, I have gone back to them to practice with because I was looking for a flatter set to fit in with my more rotational swing, and I hadn't realized the red dots were two degrees flatter. Grooves are a bit worn out, and I regripped them with lighter mdcc golfpride grips.Pretty forgiving. Well struck balls make the entire shaft vibrate as though the golf angels were singing. Can't tell what are legitimate distances because it's been 20-30 degrees and windy when I practice. Today, a well struck 2 iron could barely get past 150. May need flatter since up to my mid irons, I am hooking well struck shots, unless my path is screwed up. I can see the perpetual appeal.